Posted in metal | music | pictures on September 9, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

1349

1349 is a black metal band hailing from Oslo, Norway. The band's music is purposely similar in style and construction to that of bands from the Second Wave of Norwegian black metal of the early 1990s, and does not incorporate synthesisers. As a result, 1349 have been compared to the early incarnations of Enslaved, Emperor, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Immortal, and Mayhem, being described as much heavier than most other black metal bands. The band has so far, rejected the more commercial style of black metal exhibited by some bands.

The name 1349 comes from the year the Black Death reached Norway. [Wiki]

I saw them at SXSW, at night in a field which was also a VICE party with not many people, but with very drunk people. The band takes the scary act to the next level. The scary faces never leave their faces, so between the scariness on stage and the scariness in the crowd, it was overall kind of scary scary (but very entertaining). Now the band is on tour with Carcass and that brought them from their lair in Norway to the heavily guarded and corporate Nokia Theater in NYC on Saturday night (Sept 6). Black Bubblegum was at the show and his full review is coming soon, but I can tell you now that he was less than impressed with 1349. Ryan also found them hard to take seriously, but did admit they do a good scary (and a good Kiss). More pics below...

1349

They may be schticky to a fault, but the black metal element they brought to the overall line-up was indispensable. The make-up, the erratic time changes, the semi-retarded pale-face get-ups.... in retrospect, I cannot imagine the night without them.

Posted by klaus_kinski | September 9, 2008 1:44 AM

They were real fucking boring. Even at the rare points of their set where they stumbled upon a good riff or two you'd just have to look up at this overly silly facade and laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:45 AM

don't care about black metal, but the picture is gorgeous!

Vale

Posted by liveon35mm.com | September 9, 2008 4:56 AM

First photo is awesome Ryan!

Posted by Bryan Kremkau | September 9, 2008 8:14 AM

ghey.

Posted by beast | September 9, 2008 10:07 AM

The lighting for 1349 was less than idea for any kind of photography, but Ryan really pulled off some great shots. Of all the music blogs out there BV easily has the best photographers working for him which makes it so much better than the rest. Anybody can post 'news', but nobody bothers to try to get unique photography

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 11:17 AM

"The name 1349 comes from the year the Black Death reached Norway."

My band will be called 1996. It comes from the year the Spice Girls had their first #1 with Wannabe.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 11:32 AM

I really like the records, especially Hellfire but thought the Nokia performance was a bit disappointing. Some of it had to do with the sound. Even though it was pristine the distorting of the drums and vox on the record make the songs sound a whole lot heavier and relentless. The live show sounded weaker in comparison.

Necrophagist on the other hand.......they were the pleasant surprise of the night. A band I wasn't too into on record that blew me out of the water.

Posted by noamjamski | September 9, 2008 11:53 AM

Noam-
My sentiments EXACTLY.

Posted by BBG | September 9, 2008 12:48 PM

Not sure I would try to push any of them off the stage...

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:05 PM

I'd hit that!

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:37 PM

Noam-well said. The other times that I have seen them, they had a much heavier sound to them and came across as very menacing. The sound at Nokia de-balled them. A shame too, because they are a great band.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 1:48 PM

If I were still 11 years old, this might be the greatest thing I've ever seen.

...but I'm 12 now.

Posted by Anonymous | September 9, 2008 3:23 PM

I was there.....1349 were the sloppiest metal band I've seen in a long time.....pathetic. Necrophagist slayed......simply amazing

Posted by Anon amous | September 10, 2008 12:43 PM

next week
Opeth...

Posted by Anonymous | September 10, 2008 1:13 PM

Was Frost there? I don't really see any pics of him and I was wondering about the show because I know that the new Satyricon record is coming out in November so I would think that they had someone fill his spot for the tour.

Posted by Sveganmetal | September 15, 2008 9:55 AM