Posted in music | pictures on September 22, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard, words by Black Bubblegum

EPMD
EPMD

After a great (and late) Saturday-night, morning (3pm) bloomed with Robin Guthrie (co-founder of Cocteau Twins) and his shimmering ambient soundscapes in the main room. Backlit by projections of fractals and waves, it was the perfect way to ease into Sunday. Le Volume Courbe and Wounded Knees (both opening for MBV tonight at Roseland) had already played on stage two, but sadly, I missed them.

While Guthrie shined on, I scooted on over to stage deux and caught a few minutes of sunny pop by The Lilys (opener for MBV in NYC night two).

continued below...

ATP

Lilys
Lilys
Lilys

Kicking off with a reworking of the title theme from "Rocky", Erick Sermon & Parrish Smith (aka EPMD) took to the main stage following Guthrie. EPMD's low-energy set drew from their catalog of classics, but also threw in Sermon's Marvin Gaye-sampling hit "Music" as well as a shout to "the underground heads", "Headbanger" from Business Never Personal.

EPMD
EPMD
EPMD
EPMD
EPMD

The staggered sets allowed me to catch a few minutes of the enchanting Gemma Hayes on stage two, who covered (and reworked) Kevin Drew's "TBTF". Gemma is also an MBV US tour opener.

Gemma Hayes
Gemma Hayes

After Gemma, I took a break (had to miss Mercury Rev and Spectrum) to meet up with the lovely lads of Fuck Buttons who had performed on Saturday. Look for our short interview coming soon.

EPMD

Kutscher's country club is U-shaped with a pond in the center. When our esteemed photographer Zach Dilgard realized that you could paddle around that lake in rowboats (called "Nymphs"), he and I convinced Om (who also played Saturday) to take a boat out with us while we picked their brain. Stay tuned for that interview and photo session coming soon as well.

After paddling around the pond and narrowly avoiding a round of "bumper-Nymphs" (great navigating Om), I got my land legs back during Yo La Tengo. Old reliable sounded great as usual, but sets were running late so I had to cut out after two songs to check out And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead.

Yo La Tengo
Yo La Tengo

Trail of Dead
Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead

Trail of Dead (stage two) had a sign up on their merch table saying that they would be adjusting their set time to make sure they could catch Mogwai (stage one), and vice versa. Sure enough, as I was running from Yo La Tengo to catch Trail of Dead (about a 5 minute trip from stage one to stage two), I ran into TOD-fan Stu from Mogwai making the same hurried dash. Trail of Dead absolutely killed the second stage. From there I rushed back (left a touch early even) to find a good vantage point for the Glaswegians on stage one.

Opening with two songs from their triumphant new record The Hawk is Howling, Mogwai proved that they are one of the few bands that can simultaneously tug at your heart and rattle your chest. The kings of the crescendo drew mostly from The Hawk is Howling, but also peppered their set with a few oldies such as "Friend of the Night".

Dinosaur Jr followed Mogwai on the main stage and lived up to their voluminous reputation, as J Mascis cranked out leads from in front of his two Marshall Plexi full stacks and Hiwatt full stack (sorry, gear nerding out this weekend). Barlow and Murph would not be undersold; the rhythm section matched Mascis's power, note for crushing note. I caught most of their set before heading for a change of scenery, relative rest for my ears, and The Brain Jonestown Massacre. I completely missed Bob Mould who played between TOD and Brian Jonestown on stage two.

From there it was off to My Bloody Valentine which I already told you all about.

All in all, I think the entire weekend can be summed up with some on-stage banter between members of The Brian Jonestown Massacre:

"This whole thing is like a weird dream where all of your favorite bands are all playing at once."

"Except you aren't getting any sleep".

Amen, brother.

edan

edan

ATP

Trail of Dead

edan

ATP

edan

edan

edan

edan

edan

ATP

Check out all of our ATP coverage, all three days, lots of pictures, more reviews, etc: HERE.

Anyone have the Dinosaur Jr setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2008 11:09 PM

Anyone got a Dinosaur Jr. setlist by any chance?

Posted by J | September 22, 2008 11:10 PM

A Brian Jonestown Massacre setlist would be appreciated as well.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:04 AM

Damn..Bear suit person is hitting it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:25 AM

RUDE BEAR = big pimpin'

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:35 AM

blue bandana girl, you own my heart!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 7:40 AM

Plushies!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 7:42 AM

what does this have to do with radiohead?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 8:12 AM

hipsters...welcome to middle age.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 8:44 AM

love you rude girls!

Posted by Rude Bear | September 23, 2008 9:00 AM

THE JAGER MAN!! SA-WEET

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 9:18 AM

that girl in the yellow dress was the most annoying person ever...

was not surprised at all to find out that she was a stewardess from florida.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 10:29 AM

agreed.
that yellow dress girl was terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 10:33 AM

girl in yellow dress makes me see anger in colors.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 11:10 AM

Is that Laura Marling in the second and last photos?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 11:22 AM

Did anyone record the Bob Mould or the Dinosaur Jr. sets?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 12:09 PM

i boned the short haired brit girl. that group was nice.

Posted by freddy mercury | September 23, 2008 12:34 PM

Did any of the "artists" wind up with bedbugs?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:05 PM

Good to read the stewardess in the yellow dress annoyed the fuck out of everyone. She latched on to Kevin Shields literally 5 minutes after he arrive Friday asking where he got their expensive luggage. The only reason I know that is she was yelling this to him as they walked down the hall. She gave groupies a bad name.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:13 PM

that yellow dress girl did end up getting a laminate...saw her dancing w/ some dude in a striped shirt during the MBV noise piece. was kinda weird. anyway, after the show the missus and went up to the upper patio to hang out and i saw her w/ her new pal make her way to the band area up there.

btw - "After Gemma, I took a break (had to miss Mercury Rev and Spectrum) to meet up with the lovely lads of Fuck Buttons"

this was a big mistake...those two sets were among the very best of the weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 5:24 PM

Are you *kidding* me??? Fuck buttons so killed Mercury Rev (didn't see Spectrum)! I had to leave MR due to the serious affectations and bird wings he kept insisting on flapping. Fuck buttons blew me away.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 11:39 PM

mercury rev was unbelievable, i missed fuck buttons but more important things were afoot: screening of mishima in the criterion theatre followed by a q&a with the director, the man responsible for taxi driver, paul fucking schrader (who was absent for the actual movie screening, watching fuck buttons)

also, a yo la tengo or mercury rev setlist would be greatly appreciated

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 1:48 AM

spectrum was, perhaps with the exception of mbv and the meat puppets (but only because i idolize the meat puppets), the best part of the weekend for me. they played a bunch off of soul kiss/glide divine, plus a number of spacemen 3 tracks, including revolution, which totally killed.

Posted by aviatrix | September 24, 2008 7:25 AM

i agree with 11:39--jonathan donahue(?) or whatever his name is, with the flapping bird-wing dance and the yoga poses and whatever really distracted from the music, which was, well, let's just leave it that mercury rev hasn't put out an album nearly as good as boces or yerself is steam since those albums came out.

Posted by aviatrix | September 24, 2008 7:28 AM

dinosaur jr played all of your favorite songs, including the wagon. that's all you need to know. if you weren't there you will just get more depressed reading a set list. lou barlow even said "im stoked to see my bloody valentine, i've never seen them before. these guys kicked me out of the band before they went on tour with them". snaps!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:05 PM

Spectrum was one of the sets I was most excited about seeing, and I thought it was absolutely abysmal.

Flat singing and the rhythm section was awful awful awful. With that setlist, it could have been amazing too. Total bummer.

One of the best thing about this weekend was hearing radically differing opinions on the sets.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:42 PM

if you listen to Spectrum/Spacemen 3 for the vocals, you might be the only one. esp SB songs.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 3:47 PM

I hope that yellow dress chick got a nice case of bed bugs with her lammy. Serves her right for driving all 2999 of us nuts.

And the only way Dino could have been better was to add some Start Choppin' action to the set. Still perfect, even without it, but would have been perfecter.

Posted by anonymous | September 25, 2008 9:58 PM

that guy she's standing next to was a right moron too. amazing festival though

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2008 5:41 AM

You guys are crazy. Yellow dress girl ruled. If only everyone had that spirit. Go curmudgeon yourselves to death.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2008 3:10 PM

Yellow Dress Girl and dude next to her were awesome! They were dancing no matter where they were. What the fuck is wrong with that? I think you guys are jealous they were having so much fun. Plus I saw them hanging out with Les Savy Fav the whole time. They seemed to enjoy them.

Stupid Hipsters.

Posted by Bradley | November 23, 2008 1:00 PM

epmd - da joint is one of the best songs. here is the sample: http://www.90bpm.net/users/monox/mp3/gkthroughthenight

Posted by umhängetaschen | November 14, 2009 2:40 PM