Posted in music | pictures on September 13, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard

Goldfrapp @ Radio City

Goldfrapp headlined a show at Radio City Music Hall in NYC last night.One anonymous commenter writes:

"Goldfrapp was at the top of her game. A&E, Caravan Girl, and Happiness were all played but Number One was not. Same damn clown pirate outfits from the last tour. Can't really judge her mood but she wasn't cursing at the sound guy like at the Beacon. The crowd was fine. Biggest annoyance of the night for me was that they started at 8:00 so I missed a couple of songs from Martha's set. She sounded wonderful. I'll definitely want to catch her at Spiegeltent next week." [Anonymous]
Ends up that anonymous commenter was a little confused (see the comments). More pictures (Sept 12, 2008) below...

Goldfrapp @ Radio City

Martha Wainwright opened the show.

never heard a band fully admit to fashion being a real influence on their music.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 1:02 PM

i'm sorry but radio city was just way to big for them. stop trying to be too big too fast, kids.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 1:20 PM

Hmmm... I remember her doing Number One at the show.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 1:21 PM

Take the wax out of ur ear...she certainly played Number One.

Oh, does anyone know why after her encore she said, "there, that's 6." Then walked off stage? I was expecting to hear more.

Posted by happy and not so happy | September 13, 2008 1:29 PM

So people actually went to this.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 2:05 PM

Yes, and I'm sure it was better than the crap you saw last night.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 2:25 PM

Show was ehh I have to admit, same set as beacon, weird encore, actually was there even one, not a real one....and the crowd was super lame, radio city is the worst, sound was low during all the stompers...so let down was expecting a new, bigger show than the last, I guess I expect too much lately, like when Rilo Kiley played same set both nights at Terminal 5, why do bands do this? It is gross.

Posted by teamjasen | September 13, 2008 2:34 PM

"Oh, does anyone know why after her encore she said, 'there, that's 6.' Then walked off stage?"

You sure she didn't say, "There, that's it"?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 2:52 PM

I don't go to Terminal 5 because I hate the place. If you hate Radio City, you should do the same. Personally it's my favorite venue of that size. Sound was perfect where I was. I also can't see how you can be a Goldfrapp fan and think the show was ehh. I've enjoyed every GF performance I've seen so far, but last night's was by far the best. Not to mention Martha Wainwright alone would have been worth the price of admission.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 3:03 PM

Actually:

a) They played Number One. It was the first song that really got a lot of people dancing- you know, that song that went "cuz you're my number one..."
b) Different outfit than the Beacon show.

Way to be accurate. Are you even familiar with this band?

Great show, btw... Alison was in high spirits and at the top of her game... she sounded incredible.

Posted by Jeff | September 13, 2008 3:59 PM

the review was a quoted anonymous comment. I guess they weren't paying a lot of attention. Post updated slightly.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 13, 2008 4:07 PM

This was my first Goldfrapp show. I thought they sounded fantasic. Allison's voice is even better live than recorded (assuming all of her vocals were not pre-recorded).

Since I am battling a nasty cold, I left before the encore. What did I miss? Does anyone have a setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 4:32 PM

i was at the beacon show and it totally threw me off. i know she prolly was in a bad mood or something but she can at least pretend to be professional. i love her music but after seeing her act like that and the comments from this show it's hard to relate her personality to her music.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 5:58 PM

If I had stopped listening to bands, singers because they were in a bad mood one day or a band member simply is an asshole overall, I'd have to throw away half of my record collection. To each their own. I personally don't see what the big deal is with her complaining to the sound guy at Beacon. The incompetencies of many sound people ruin a lot of shows. More artists should complain.

Last night's show was close to perfection. Yes, she could have sung 10 more songs in the encore, but she did not. Many bands leave the stage two thirds of the show, then come back and call the rest of the show an encore. She sang most of the stuff I wanted to hear. It was a complete set and the encore felt like a coda.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 6:34 PM

looks like there were alot of people not paying attention at this show.

"that's 6"? seriously?

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 7:40 PM

i thought it was a great show. the venue was too big, but still, lotta fun. does anyone have setlist? please? especially the first half of concert? i am not a huge fan of theirs so don't know the music and left early [not b/c concert was bad..other things]. thanks!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2008 11:04 PM

Was it full? Looks pretty packed from those pics.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2008 8:01 AM

It was full, but I wonder how many people paid for tickets

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 8:13 AM

I believe she said "thats it" or "thats all" at the end. It seemed like she was tired and had done enough.
I was hoping for 2 hours of performance but maybe that's a lot to ask.
(my first goldfrapp concert).

Posted by Michael | September 15, 2008 9:10 AM

Show blew big time. Radio City was very empty and she failed to connect big time. All mellow songs in a an empty theater...didnt work. And im a long time Goldfrapp fan. Who booked them there???

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 9:41 AM

"... it's hard to relate her personality to her music."

hmm, interesting.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 2:22 PM

Goldfrapp? More like Oldcrapp.

Posted by greg | September 15, 2008 2:59 PM

Was it full? Looks pretty packed from those pics.

Posted by شات كتابي | October 21, 2010 7:34 AM