Posted in music | venues on September 2, 2008

Knitting Factory

"People are expecting Tribeca to be as quiet as a suburban street in Greenwich, Connecticut," [KF owner Jared Hoffman (pictured)] added.

Ahn-Tuyet Pollock, who has lived next door to the Knitting Factory for eight years, said she [despite moving in after the club was already established there] and many of her neighbors have been waiting for the day that the club would close and the sidewalk be free of its patrons.

"It's been a struggle for us ever since we moved in," Pollock said. "[Club-goers] line up in front of the building, they smoke, they make all kinds of noise, they want to come into our building to use our bathroom...it's a nuisance."

Joe Rosales, a broker for Lee Odell Real Estate, closed on a $12 million sale of the six-story building at 74 Leonard Street to the Laboz Family Trust in July, and the space, he said, has already drawn interest from developers looking to install nother nightclub.

"The way that space is laid out, it has to stay commercial," Rosales said....

....When the Knitting Factory reopens in Williamsburg in March, it will have shrunk from three stages to one, and only about one-third of its current staff. However, it will only be paying about half the rent. The cheaper digs, he said, will allow the club to retain its status as a breeding ground for new and undiscovered talent.

"In a lot of ways, Manhattan abandoned us," Hoffman said. "In a belated fashion, we're following our community. We're not meant to be a 1,000-person room trying to follow the same 90 tours that come through the city every year. We're meant to be finding the artists and giving them a platform." [Tribeca Tribune]

Cut and paste 7 paragraphs and steal the picture. Great blog here.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:41 PM

Manhattan has been a cultural wasteland for years now. When was the last time a decent band came out of Manhattan?

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:43 PM

this is sad, but it was bound to happen sooner or later...

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:52 PM

the strokes in 2001

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:57 PM

i miss 2001

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:59 PM

This sucks. I wish they could've moved to 14th street.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 2:59 PM

fascist!

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:11 PM

Ahn-Tuyet Pollock, I'm pretty your kind is the actual nuisance.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:20 PM

also a nuisance? grammatical errors. oops.

Posted by anon 3:20 | September 2, 2008 3:23 PM

So, let me get this straight. They move in, and are upset about the existing business? Whose fault is it that you chose to live by a venue? It's not like they forced you to. Idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:25 PM

another nail.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:25 PM

2:41 Don't be ignorant. That's what a blog is for.. blog, short for weblog, started as a way of providing a meaningful collection of curated links and commentary.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:33 PM

@ anon 2:41, he gave credit to the article. it's a music news aggregator site. calm down.

Posted by t the c | September 2, 2008 3:35 PM

"developers looking to install another nightclub" -- ha.

enjoy yr new neighbors, Ahn-Tuyet Pollock. Bet they'll be a LOT less noisy than those pesky Knitting Factory kids!

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:40 PM

Betta act like ya know, son.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:52 PM

Someone needs to ruin Ahn-Tuyet Pollock's life. Fucking cunt.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 3:57 PM

I hope they open some fucked-up mega dance club there! See how the neighbors like that!

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 4:07 PM

blame yoko ono, the upstairs neighbor.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 4:07 PM

sarah palin, where are you? hurry up!

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 4:09 PM

i hate people with hyphenated names

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:30 PM

It will be a mcdonalds soon enough.... mchattan.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:31 PM

More like the SHITTING Factory.

Posted by greg | September 2, 2008 5:35 PM

Where in the hell will the hip-hop go??

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:36 PM

PALIN WHERE YOU AT??

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:39 PM

Starbucks

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 5:51 PM

Posted by lori | September 2, 2008 5:55 PM

oh conservative manhattan how i don't miss you or think of you or respect you. you can have all the ahn-tuyet pollock droids, the boroughs don't want those people.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 6:32 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 7:17 PM

"really sad. i love where it is now. such a shame it's moving to a shitty neighborhood filled with obnoxious people."

You mean Manhattan 7:17?

"developers looking to install another nightclub" -- ha.

Right-o 3:40! I hope they enjoy their new tacky, louder B&T club goers vomiting on the sidewalks and asking to use their toilets real soon. Oh, and all the awesome music blasting forth too!

I will miss the old space however. I'm glad I played the old KF once in my life! ;)

Posted by ~cb | September 2, 2008 7:48 PM

What happened to the move to 14th St?

This move makes no sense. The original Luna Lounge was always packed and had many great bands. Then they lost their lease and moved to Brooklyn. What happened then? No one went so they closed down.

Now Knitting Factory wants to move to the exact same spot? Williamsburg is only convenient for those that live off the L line. If you live in Upper Manhattan, Jersey, Queens, or other parts of Brooklyn, Williamsburg is a pain to get to. Why do you think the new Luna Lounge closed down? Why is it when the same band plays the Bowery Ballroom and the MHoW, the Bowery show sells out first by a long shot? People prefer Manhattan.

KF will not survive the new location.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:04 PM

All the more reason to support the club while it's there - there will be a lot of stellar shows forthcoming. Come out while its
around.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:27 PM

A third of the space for half the rent? Sounds like a good deal to me.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:46 PM

"I'd like to mention (corrections welcome) that current employees are all being fired. If they want to work at the new location they have to reapply for their jobs."

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 9:59 PM

2:41: BV added the "[despite moving in after the club was already established there]"

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 10:03 PM

What the fuck? Getting to Brooklyn is such a pain in the ass for me, this is ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | September 2, 2008 11:38 PM

I think the reason Luna wasn't doing well was because of the set-up. But officially, I believe it was a licensing issue that closed the place. I hope Knitting Factory renovates the space a little. It was just one cold room.

Posted by anonymous | September 2, 2008 11:50 PM

I thought it went down the tube when they fired Yalan - thankfully she's ended up at Santos.

Posted by joly | September 3, 2008 12:40 AM

UH HUH HUH HUH HMM HUH HUH HMM HUH HUH HMM HUH!!! You said "entity."

Posted by Butt-head | September 3, 2008 1:08 AM

Williamsburg makes me want to vomit on myself

Anyone know if the new one will be all ages?

also this...

"That island is a glorified strip mall of Chase banks, McRestaurants, and Duane Reades. Like global climate change, people will just ignore it until it's done and over with. I heart Brooklyn. Am I being obnoxious?"

sweet. how long have you been in bk? just curious. no judgements here

Posted by anon | September 3, 2008 1:39 AM

"Maybe, for legal or business reasons, a different business entity is leasing the new space in Brooklyn and running that operation."

To me, this translates to "We fired everyone so we could hire people at the lowest possible wage to work at the new location."

It's a fucked up situation for the workers who have been with the Knit for years.

Posted by lori | September 3, 2008 2:38 AM

^^Nonetheless, unless you have genuine knowledge of what the ownership is doing, you can't rule out more benign motives for their use of a different business entity (if in fact they are using a different business entity).

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 9:49 AM

as someone who went to KF on fairly regular basis, I will really miss this place. The employees/management were really good, from the person at the door, to the girl in the ticket booth, down to the sound people and bartenders (who gave free water no questions asked). No ex-felon chip on the shoulder "security" like you encounter at Bowery venues. I can't think of anything negative to say, and am very sorry these people will now lose their jobs.

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 10:01 AM

I don't think the Knit needs an excuse to fire anyone! The staff there has known that the end was coming for Leonard Street since the building went up for sale over a year ago.

Far from winding staffing down in the months before closing, the Knit committed to keeping all onboard and to stay fully staffed right up to the last night.

When the new Knit opens, it will be a smaller (fewer spaces) operation able to run with a much smaller staff - thank god - that was one of the reasons the old knit was such a financial mess.

Finally, the staff to open and book the new club *have* been drawn from the existing Knit. Reasonably, they will staff up on bartenders, security and such, when they have clue as to opening date.

Makes sense, no ?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 10:07 AM

Lori 2:38AM

Did you ever work there? I do not think it is possible to pay anyone less ;)

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 10:12 AM

When will Mikey DORF chime in???

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 1:44 PM

The major shame is the that Bowery which I feel is not much less evil than Live Nation now has a death grip on music in Manhattan. Bowery has shown itself to have shady business tactics and to be rather closed minded in what it offers in terms of bookings.

Not to mention many repeated reports of attempts to squash the D.I.Y scene in Brooklyn at places like Market Hotel with police reports and 311 calls.

It is sad to think that 90% of shows for between 200 and 1000 people will now all be handled by the Bowery. If they do not like a band they blacklist them. When was the last true metal or hip hop show at one of their venues?

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 2:31 PM

sweet elephant 6 show just announced at KF!

Posted by Anonymous | September 3, 2008 2:39 PM

Guess what, you idiot, YOU MOVED NEXT TO A CLUB. Don't like it? Get the f*ck out. The club is moving, but get the f*ck out anyway b/c I don't like you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 4, 2008 1:36 PM

why is that douchebag president in all of the photos about the future of the knitting factory? the only time he goes to the club is for photo opps.

the future of the knitting factory would still be bright, were it not for him. he's singlehandedly responsible for sucking the soul out of that place, one broken spirit at a time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2008 1:44 AM

1:39: "sweet. how long have you been in bk? just curious. no judgements here"

7+ years.

Williamsburg isn't the only area in Brooklyn, why does everyone think the 10 block radius around that L train stop is all there is to BK? Don't act like Manhattan is oh so sweeeeeet. I live in the slope and it's kinda hard to get over to billyburg too so it's not my fave commute either, but 15 mins to the KF, neat. It's also a 5 min walk to Southpaw and Union Hall for me. What? Anyone have something crappy to say about those venues too?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2008 10:59 PM

I am really going to miss the Knitting Factory in its current incarnation... the place has been the site of many good shows throughout my time in the city. From The Loved Ones to Pissed Jeans to Recover to The Gaslight Anthem, and beyond, I have seen more than a few great acts play the main stage at KF. Some of the bouncers even recognize me from other shows.

I live in Brooklyn, pretty close to Williamsburg, and the idea of a club of KF's caliber coming to the area actually nauseates me. There are already enough venues in Williamsburg for the hipsters to frequent. Knitting Factory stay away from trying to "fit in" in the neighborhood and keep booking acts similar to what they have gotten in the past!

Will miss the Tribeca location with all my heart. That room has given me more memories than I can remember (some I couldn't remember the morning after...)

Posted by Maggie | November 18, 2008 6:11 AM

An old story...a club establishes a scene...the scene elevates a hip area of the city...people move to that area...money starts flowing...and the club that led to the area's rise finds itself not being able to stay around due to much higher rents as a result of the gentrification.

The FIRST Knit '87-'94 (yeah, dating myself by calling it the REAL real knit) on East Houston Street made that area thrive, and now it is a ritzy restaurant at 47 E Houston...the TriBeCa Knit opened there in '95 and held to its credo until 2002, when it new ownership took a dump on everything it really represented and just turned it into a ho-hum rock club (albeit still not the sell out that Bowery etc. became. But guess what else happened? The Leonard Knit had a strong effect on that locale,and lo and behold, ritzy bars, restaurants, gyms, and condos started rising up, and bye bye Knit.

CBGB? Classic case. TONIC? Heartbreaking.
Yes, people over 30 remember when Manhattan still had a vital arts scene, and some of us still don't want to give up on the island. But it's rough...

Don't think that Bklyn won't eventually go the same route. It is happening already.

Can't wait for the Staten Island DIY Grassroots movement to start though. Only a matter of time?

Posted by Misstherealknit | November 18, 2008 11:21 PM

I remember the "real" Knit, too, on E. Houston, where I first went to see Charles Gayle. Saw Fushitsusha there, too.

I work a block away from the new Knit, but I haven't gone since it changed from its jazz orientation to a regular rock club. I saw Steve Lacy there a year or so before he died, and I think that was my last visit.

Anyway, as the economic collapse widens and deepens, perhaps Manhattan will become the same broke, empty shell it was in the 70s, when starving artists and clubowners with cheap rents and small spaces created a vital arts and music scene that was the germ for all that has come since. Perhaps all the owners of million dollar apartments will flee, as well.

The pendulum swings, and all that....

Posted by Robert1014 | November 22, 2008 6:32 PM

i think this is great news.

more fun and good bands in williamsburg..

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 11:26 AM

haha, who cares about the the knitting factory.
the glory days are long since gone.
it was great back in the day but it's just a name now,
just like lamenting the loss of cbgb.
you still have "the knitting factory presents" for all
your soul devoid band needs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2008 9:56 AM

Im gonna miss the Knit because they have put on some really great shows in the last two years, because the staff is nice, and because the 3 floor set up was really fun for all club shows.

Most of all i feel bad for people that work there.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2008 10:05 AM