Posted in music | pictures on September 15, 2008

photos by Leia Jospe

Lightning Bolt

The special guests all bailed last minute, but luckily the consolation prize was a headlining set by Lightning Bolt at the Todd P show under the M Train in the Bushwick section of Brooklyn on Saturday (Sept 13, 2008). More pictures from the show below...

Lightning Bolt

Growing and Krallice opened.

p.s. chippendale predicts a late spring release of a new LB album [dan]

Lightning Bolt has four more shows coming up - all ATP festivals.

LB were damn good but I think krallice stole the show.

also it was for the best that no age and fucked up didn't make it bc there wasn't any extra time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 2:49 PM

jesus what a sausage fest, I think I only spotted one girl in those pictures

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 2:58 PM

the show was fun, but seriously the sound was off for krallice, they can be so much louder...being outdoors was not for them...can't wait to see them indoors again.

lightning bolt was good, but the photos say it all...it is fun to rock out, but seriously not on top of the band. i have seen them many times but never with so many people on top of them.

and forget sausage fest...it was like a high school mixer...

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:04 PM

god you hipsters make me fucking sick. get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:08 PM

"god you hipsters make me fucking sick. get a life. "

who are the "hipsters" you are referring to?

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:22 PM

It's gotten to the point where the people complaining about hipsters are now more annoying than the hipsters themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:28 PM

mild bummer about the secret guests, they both canceled, the flakes!

was supposed to be No Age and Fucked Up, for reals. Traffic and corporate gig responsibilities got in the way I suppose.

so it goes with unpaid, unannounced appearances.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:32 PM

complaining about hipsters is cool if you saw the line outside MGMT at the pool, but at a lightning bolt show? also, generically dropping hipster insults without any specifics is sort of babbling nonsense to yourself, isn't it? at least have a good reason to bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:34 PM

there were lots of girls there.

many many hotties actually!

fact of life is that the ladies tend to get pushed back from the front during lightning bolt's sets though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:41 PM

also, as for why there are so many dudes in these particular photos, the band is ringed by the "safety crew," who lock arms around Lighting Bolt and try to keep the band and their gear from getting trampled by the crowd.

the safety crew is all dudes, they're the guys in the white and fluorescent orange tshirts in the photos.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:45 PM

especially the girl in the Andrew WK shirt. third picture from top. she was amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 3:51 PM

found a wallet at LB/krallice/growing show at 979 broadway. Male, 19 years old, last initial P.

email toddp@toddpnyc.com your name and roughly what's in the wallet and give us a current address to mail it to, or we will just mail it to the address on the drivers license.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:16 PM

The two person mosh pit during Growing's drone set was pretty good too.

Posted by dave | September 15, 2008 4:18 PM

isn't lightning bolt playing tonight in brooklyn somewhere? don pedros maybe?

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:28 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:29 PM

for this being 900+ people with no heavy security, and loud, hard music being played, it was pretty amazing how polite and well behaved the crowd was.

these are showgoers who have learned to appreciate how rare these kinds of shows are. Who woulda thought that could ever be the vibe in big bad New York City?

It was beautiful! real community vibes, especially when the M train would roll by and light us up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:34 PM

my god, todd's wall of interns are the cutest! getting younger by the weekend!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:34 PM

looks like a new batch

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:38 PM

"

"

I agree with everything except the 900+ people part.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:39 PM

it was 900 people for real. that space is very large.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:42 PM

another treat was watching the space go from barren, padlocked empty lot to functioning show space in the hour and a half from 3:30 to 5.

stage, electricity, soundsystem, pa, bar, curtain to cover fence to the street, and more all assembled from scratch while hundreds of people in line to get in watched it unfold.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:48 PM

i take off my hat to mr todd p. he puts on the best shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:51 PM

and I think these guys suck. Holy shit.. I just took a look at krallice and Lightening Bolt and wow.. I'm so unimpressed by the pretentious attempt at original and unique music that I think I'm going to stick pencils in my ears till I hear a pop...and that pop will sound much better than Lightening Bolt's "Dracula Mountain"

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:51 PM

^^^

wow dude, you're the coolest!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:53 PM

(that was for 4:51)

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:54 PM

"jeez, I grew up on the 80's/90's NYC Hardcore scene and also DJ'd playing Rhythmic/Power Noise..
and I think these guys suck. Holy shit."

Based on my calculations then I would say that you would probably also think some of that 80's/90's Hardcore sucked if you listened to it for the first time at your current age too.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:55 PM

4:54 PM... So I'm old? LOL.. ok.. sure you youngster! Wippersnapper! Shit it's time for Fiber One! And I need to hurry back to the old folks home in Williamsburg!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:00 PM

go then!

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:02 PM

Man, fuck Williamsburg. At this point it's just a hipster colony. And, althought it's on Brooklyn territory, it hasn't been part of Brooklyn since you bastards stole it. Hipsterdom is imperialism, through and through. Please don't trick yourselves into thinking that you will ever assimilate.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:36 PM

This show was not in Williamsburg by any broker's stretch of the imagination.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 5:54 PM

Sit down, shut the fuck up, and hold hands.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:04 PM

re Don Pedro's rumor:

Don's myspace has "Summercamp, Beards, and Bolt of Lightning" on the bill tonight (15th).

!!!

However, Beards's myspace has a blog entry:

It states that they're playing with "I am a Bolt of Lightning"

so that's that. oh well.

Posted by dan | September 15, 2008 6:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:14 PM

"jesus what a sausage fest, I think I only spotted one girl in those pictures"

No way dude. There were plenty of chicks there. once you passed the first two or three rows of people there were tons of cute chicks dancing and having a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:37 PM

I didn't intend to imply that the Saturday show was in Williamsburg, my comment was inspired by 4:55's mere mention of the neighborhood.

I wouldn't mind the gentrification so much if they weren't all entitled pussies. If they paid their own way to get there and didn't act like complete and utter women, it wouldn't be half bad.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 6:49 PM

Bed Stuy is not Williamsburg, not by a long shot. Hipsters have definitely not taken over.

Do the people who rip on Todd P shows even show up for these things? The crowd might look like a bunch of hipsters from the pictures, but the vibe is never anything but inclusive. Saturday's show was great, everyone was having fun, and there were easily 900+ people there. This isn't ironic posturing over PBRs at Union Pool, it's just a bunch of kids getting together to enjoy music. Todd throws fun shows.

Also, I have to agree that the light from the train made for some very cool moments.

Posted by feedbacker | September 15, 2008 10:23 PM

pics are awesome!! nice leia

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 11:55 PM

"now THOSE pics are great examples of the massive gentrification of north brooklyn. disgusting."

sometimes people are so dumb it actually scares me

Posted by THEMIGHTYHANDFUL | September 15, 2008 11:57 PM

College kids & bohemian types living in the ghetto is a fact of life, if you want to complain about "gentrification" then tell me what you think should be done about it?

Do you want a law that says only working classes and below get to live in Bushwick and Bed Stuy?

Do you want middle-class bohemian creative types to cough up skyhigh rent that they can't afford inorder to stay in Williamsburg and the East Village and other thoroughly white enclaves, solely out of some cultural guilt trip over moving into poorer, more affordable neighborhoods?

Do you think we should just hang a sign on New York that says, "sorry, we're full" and not let more people move here?

Seriously, what's your policy proposal? I'm really game to hear you out as to how you're going to reverse gentrification, and about how these kids rocking out in an abandoned, unused lot in Bushwick represent the forward surge of the problem.

I'd also love to hear about how you're not implicated in the problem yourself. I'd wager a guess that you're probably white, upper middle class, and that you probably live in a neighborhood that was itself "gentrified" in the past 15 years.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:20 AM

I just moved from Williamsburg after six years. I'm an old fart, so I age out of "hipster-ism". I liked the hipsters. They are young kids who were fed up with the lack of creative initiative in their own boring towns and had the balls big enough to say 'fuck it', pack their bags and move to NYC. So the hipster population of NYC is filled with those kinds of hipsters. Uber hipsters. They make shit happen. And it's good.

I live in Africa now. It has yet to be gentrified.

Rock on with your guerilla live rock and roll shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 7:17 AM

to 2:20 I would propose more affordable public housing to be built, so everyone can live in a place they can afford. who spends 25% or less of their monthly income, like economists suggested back in the old days should be the norm? very few people. rents are out of whack with the salaries and its hurting everybody. that being said do you think anyone in bushwick was complaining that a 1000 people showed up on broadway on a saturday, you think those stores selling beers and soda were complaining? it was like christmass in september for them. i applaud everyone who showed up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 8:15 AM

Gentrification happens and will continue to happen. I think everyone who complains about hipsters really have an issue with the fact that hipsters are un-original fucking tools. You're copying a bunch of old trends, you offer nothing new. Kill yourself or just go away. Please.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 10:54 AM

well 10:54, your weaselly one liners aside, figure out some better way to communicate who it is you're talking about. Because of your inane attachment to the word "hipster," you're criticizing good proactive independent thinking people as well as the trend following lemmings.

also, there ain't shit original about your standard issue hipster bashing rant.

the "kill yourself" line is the height of cliche, by the way. It sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. get some originality your damn self, you fuckin tool!

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:19 AM

8:15am, yeah what we need is totally more housing projects and government subsidized housing. because we all know how well THAT experiment worked!

I'm a lefty, but I will touch the 3rd rail of housing politics in NYC and tell you that the rents are as high as they are around here largely as a side effect of rent stabilization and rent control. Those policies create artificial shortages and benefit only the lucky few who's families have passed down stabilized leases for generations.

Get rid of rent control, you'll have a year or two of chaos and pain on the few previously lucky poor people who currently live in rent controlled apartments, but after that initial shuffle you will see the artificial shortage of housing disappear in this city and rents will stop rising at the rate they have, and might even fall.

Ever notice how the rent always rises, every year, at whatever the maximum increase amount that the rent control board sets, regardless of inflation or whether the property value actually rose or fell? That doesn't necessarily happen in other towns.

Also, have you figured out that the reason rents double or quadruple so quickly in gentrifying neighborhoods is because only a few leases are ever vacant and free to quench the demand? If there was no rent control or rent stabilization, then there would never be such a shortage or a crunch, and the overall effect of a neighborhood changing would be milder and less dramatic. As it is now, you see potential new lease rents go shyhigh in neighborhoods that are getting hot, but there remain lots of people on old leases paying the old rent rates.

The pressure to get rid of those people and to take advantage of the artificially high, shortage driven new rents, that's what drives landlords to screw their tenants and stop upkeep on their buildings or to illegally drive them out.

A genuine free market system of housing and rents would actually be gentler, because the rents wouldn't rise so high so fast in the first place, and the rents of low income people wouldn't automatically rise every year just because a government board says they can.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:42 AM

"Come to a LB show and Call us hipsters to our face, ass hole. We'll fuck you up."

HAHA!!! No one wants to get beat up by a bunch of dudes in women's jeans. What a joke. You would think you were reppin' Biohazard or something. You guys are hilarious.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 12:59 PM

I don't have a problem with gentrification. No neighborhood in New York has been one way for a very long time. Sure, Bed-Stuy has seen a large influx of white people. Before it was predominantly black, it was Italian. My grandmother was born in Bed-Stuy. Point is, neighborhoods change over time and don't belong to anyone.

And this is coming from someone that was born in Brooklyn. I have lived there my entire life. And I have never lived in a gentrified neighborhood, nor have I ever had any amount of money. That said, I've also never lived in abject poverty.

I don't mind people moving in to New York from other areas of the country, or from other countries entirely. I don't mind if they have a lot of money, as long as they don't pretend they don't. Sure, a lot of hipster culture annoys me to no end, but that's how it'll always go. Have you seen the crowds at the early Bob Dylan shows in New York in the 60's? Same deal. I want to punch half of them in their faces, and if I could reach back through history I would.

No, what really annoys me is that Brooklyn used to mean something. No matter your race, nationality, or gender, people from Brooklyn were all tough. No one took any shit from anyone, and it created a harmony of sorts. And even if one group hated another, there was always at least that respect.

But these hipsters that move in to Brooklyn day after day are almost entirely sniveling pussies. Some thug on the street says "Yo, give me a dollar?" and 9 times out of 10 the hipster quietly walks over to them, takes out their wallet and gives them a dollar. They have destroyed the respect and the harmony.

So, hipsters. Want to live in Brooklyn? Fine. Want to bring money into neighborhoods and permanently transform them and displace residents? Fine. Really, no problem. But stop acting like pussies.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 1:19 PM

12:59, have you ever even been to a Lighting Bolt concert? it's pretty much schlubby grubby weirdo nerd kids. I think you're confusing this band with MGMT or some shit. Seriously, not a real trendy crowd out there on Saturday.

anyway, you're just parroting the same line, "hipster this" "hipster that". It's pretty bullshit, dude. come up with something better.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 2:56 PM

you know what annoys me? dumbass Brooklyn white boy thug wannabees like 1:19.

you wouldn't last a second in the Bed Stuy projects, you boasting blustering ass!

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:01 PM

well said 1:19. 3:01 needs to get their legs broken and kneecaps smashed.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:15 PM

nothing more ridiculous than faux guido "I grew up in New York" dipshits who think that makes them "street"

you are and will always be a WHITE BOY. you don't know shit about being tough or living in the ghetto, as you as fuck aren't any better than the "hipster" kids you hate, at least they have the balls to go out and actually live in the neighborhoods your mom told you to stay out of a kid.

all your tall tales about hangin tough out there don't change shit. I bet you still think the G train is too dangerous to ride at night, just like every other white boy New York native piece to garbage. You guys are the New York equivalents of rednecks.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:28 PM

EVERYONE FUCKING SUCKS.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:36 PM

everyone at this show and the show itself were rad

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:39 PM

listen people, stop saying the word hipster when you mean YUPPIE

there's a fucking difference you weasles!

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 3:57 PM

what is with people writting essays on this blog?
looks like a fun show
guy in the 7th pic white shirt=gorgeous.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM

Jesus fucking Christ. This is 1:19 replying.

Did anyone actually read what I wrote?

First of all, I'm a huge Lightning Bolt fan. I go to these shows as often as possible. In fact, I go to plenty of Todd P shows. I think they're a welcome addition. The only real complaint I have about them is the 'safety crew.'

"dumbass Brooklyn white boy thug wannabees like 1:19"

In what way, shape or form did I portray myself as a 'thug wannabee'? In what way was I boasting? I noted that I was a Brooklyn native and that as a Brooklyn native I didn't have a problem with gentrification (as no neighborhood belongs to anyone and populations always change), outside of the fact that many of the people moving in are pussies.

"nothing more ridiculous than faux guido 'I grew up in New York"' dipshits who think that makes them 'street'"

Since when am I a guido, and since when did I proclaim to be street? Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking.

"you are and will always be a WHITE BOY. you don't know shit about being tough or living in the ghetto"

Hey, stupid faggot, I've never once proclaimed to be anything but a white dude. I also don't recall mentioning anything about living in any ghettos.

"at least they have the balls to go out and actually live in the neighborhoods your mom told you to stay out of a kid."

Once again, everything you've written has absolutely no basis in what I wrote. I've lived in plenty of shitty neighborhoods throughout my life, and at no point did I mention that prior to now or claim that it made me tough. How would you have any clue as to where I've lived or presently live? You've created an entirely fictional character around my comment and are now attacking it. I'm assuming this is based on your own insecurities as a transplant.

"all your tall tales about hangin tough out there don't change shit."

Can you please point me to one of these tall tales I've told? Seriously now. All I said is that most of the hipsters moving in to New York are pussies. Didn't say anything about them not being good people (I can only comment on the ones I've met and know), or comment on any other aspect of their personality outside of that. It was a very simple, direct statement.

"fuck native new yorkers or anyone else who wants to shit on positive things. what have you ever done?"

And as for you, learn to read what's actually been written before you reply to anything. I didn't shit on anything positive. I love Lightning Bolt, I love these shows, so on and so forth, and I even stated that I had no problem with gentrification as a whole (in fact, it was my opening sentence.) And are you really trying to make the argument that New York had nothing of value to offer on its own? Really?

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 5:34 PM

For fuck's sake, this is retarded. You're all on FUCKING BROOKLYN VEGAN, SO YOU'RE ALL HIPSTERS, NOW SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Posted by God | September 16, 2008 5:41 PM

1:19 (and then 5:34) again. I neglected to reply to this one detail:

"I bet you still think the G train is too dangerous to ride at night, just like every other white boy New York native piece to garbage."

First of all, when I was a kid the G train was a dangerous line, as were many lines. In fact, Brooklyn as a whole was a much more dangerous place to live in the 80's and early 90's when I was growing up. But that didn't stop anyone that was living here from riding the train or going out. I'm glad that things have become much safer, and I'm glad that I can now comfortably spend time in neighborhoods that weren't as kind to me when I was younger.

I don't mention any of this because I think it makes me tough. It doesn't. I mention this because I actually know about the place I've lived in my entire life. You, on the other hand, know shit. All you can comment on is the state of things as you've seen them since you've moved here. So please don't act like you're the one educating me on Brooklyn and what neighborhoods and train lines are now safe, and certainly don't say another fucking thing about the "white boy New York natives" that you claim to know so much about.

All you're showing me is that some guido made fun of your metrosexual haircut on the train one day and that you now hold a grudge and harbor countless unfounded opinions. That, sir, is what I call being a pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 5:58 PM

...and then about 40 minutes in they went to that low part and it was really cool.....

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2008 11:05 PM

Todd throws great shows and if you weren't there, don't complain about the bunch of young white guys that couldn't enjoy the show because they were holding back the crowd for about an hour of music raping their ears. If that was a 'well-behaved' Lightning Bolt crowd, I'd fucking hate to be anywhere near an inconsiderate one.

No gentrification is happening, the area around the Market Hotel (Bushwick) is very much untouched and diverse and distinct and if you actually go there, you wouldn't get on your fucking soapbox and start whining about white people stealing everyone's homes. To be honest though, most of the little kids looked jittery being in the neighborhood.

WE'RE ALL HIPSTERS WE COMMENT ON BROOKLYNVEGAN

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2008 5:31 PM

whatever, sausage fest or no, no one ever gets with anyone else at a todd p show. they all just lurk and take note outta the corners of their eyes and maybe maybe missed connection one another. you know "neon pink jumper, camel lights" whatever, people fuckin go for the music

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:24 AM

people get hella laid at Todd P shows.

they sweep up make up sesh couples at the Market Hotel and Silent Barn and Death By Audio all the time

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:04 PM

make up sesh couples

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:08 PM

make out sesh, dyslexic typist

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:03 AM

well 5:34 and 5:38, I obviously got your goat, didn't I!

whatever you want to get all defensive and hurt and say about me or the conclusions I drew are all fine, but the fact of the matter is your first post, the one I responded to, 1:19, was a bunch of macho posturing bullshit.

You say about crowds at early 60's Bob Dylan concerts "I want to punch half of them in their faces." Next you wax poetic about how, back in the day, "people from Brooklyn were all tough."

lastly, you make a huge blanket statement about how the newcomers are all soft, you say "these hipsters that move in to Brooklyn day after day are almost entirely sniveling pussies. Some thug on the street says "Yo, give me a dollar?" and 9 times out of 10 the hipster quietly walks over to them, takes out their wallet and gives them a dollar..." all leading up to the inevitable ending where you call all the "hipsters" "pussies."

Lots of huge generalizations, lots of sentimental hokum, lots of blanket name calling about a large group of diverse people.

But more importantly, dude, that's some pretty thuggy, guido style attitude you've got there. If you didn't want to get called out for being another Brooklyn-native meathead, then maybe you should have posted a such testosterone fueled hate rant?

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 11:25 AM

anyone who isnt natively from brooklyn
can not in anyway say anything about brooklyn because you are not from here, this isnt your soil, you dont fully understand

as for the hipster shit