Posted in To Do | music | pictures | tour dates on September 23, 2008

someone let Witz on the stage last night @ Roseland Ballroom in NYC
My Bloody Valentine @ Roseland

The Wounded Knees (with special guest J Mascis), My Bloody Valentine and Le Volume Courbe played Roseland Ballroom in NYC last night (9/22). The above picture is proof.

Formed in Dublin in 1984, [My Bloody Valentine] developed its initial sound as a reaction against what other bands were doing, Mr. Shields said. Most were using the cushy sounds of flangers and chorus pedals; My Bloody Valentine, using an effect called reverse reverb, strove for something "ambient but upfront, with a dryness," Mr. Shields said. Later the band would pile up countless other effects -- loops, echoes, distortion boxes -- creating the sonic onslaught that has been cited as an influence by virtually every collegiate or indie-rock band that knows how to set off feedback. [NY Times]
Le Volume Courbe (here from the UK initially to play the MBV-curated day at ATP Sunday) will play two more NYC shows before they leave. Those, and other dates are below.

Friend-of-MBV Gemma Hayes plays the Virgin Megastore in NYC today (9/23). Last night she was at Mercury Lounge. On Sunday she was at ATP. More pictures from her ATP performance are below too.

My Bloody Valentine do it (Roseland) again tonight (9/23) with Lilys. From there MBV move on to Toronto. MBV ATP setlist & pics are HERE (along with lots of Roseland reviews in the comments). More Lilys ATP pics are, also, below...

Gemma Hayes @ ATP...

Le Volume Courbe - 2008 Tour Dates
Sep 24 - Cake shop new york new york
Sep 26 - Glasslands new york new york
Oct 10 - the windmill - brixton london
Oct 11 - COO COO CLUB @ JERICHO TAVERN Oxford
Oct 15 - death disco - notting hill gate london

(all Gemma Hayes & Lilys photos by Zach Dilgard)

there were only 3 photographers none of whom I recognized, someone asked how did you guys get a press pass and one of them said you just have to show them that you run a blog, it was real easy. I dont know if the guy was telling the truth.

also grabbed a set list at the end.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:41 PM

Anybody have an idea of the set times tonight?

Posted by Robert | September 23, 2008 1:43 PM

setlist!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 1:52 PM

call the club... the number is on the site www.roselandballroom.com i did this yesterday to find out that mbv was scheduled to play 10-1130pm. i imagine it may be the same tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 2:01 PM

Just called them. The Lilys go on at 8:00 and MBV goes on at 9:30.

Posted by LydiaBrunch | September 23, 2008 2:06 PM

Show was the loudest ever! Blood drippin' out the ears loud - jesus!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 2:14 PM

lilys are so good.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 2:19 PM

"what the coolest blogger in town had to say"

actually that dude is so uncool, he probably wrote this himself.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 2:25 PM

"actually that dude is so uncool, he probably wrote this himself."

no I didn't

Posted by Music Slobbery | September 23, 2008 2:41 PM

we acquired a setlist from kevin shields after the performance last night. i uploaded a pic for you to check out (sorry for the shameless self promotion, but free music never hurt anyone!)

this is the selist shields used. all the other setlists in the venue were one piece of paper, this one was 3 pieces of paper tapes together. shoegaze sized. i believe the codes at the begining and ends of the setlist are for him to work with on his 50+ pedal rig.

check out a free 7 song ep while your at it at thedelaymusic.com

get this shit over the nets, little gazers.

KEVIN SHIELDS SETLIST:

Posted by The Delay | September 23, 2008 2:42 PM

As an accessory to the acquisition of the above setlist, I can confirm that it was taken from Kevin Shields' monitor and handed to us by a photographer about 5 minutes after the show ended.

I can also confirm that that was the best concert ever.

Posted by sloop_john_b | September 23, 2008 2:49 PM

I feel honored that people are impersonating me. I am not the coolest blogger in town, maybe in Jersey, but not NYC.

Posted by MusicSnobbery | September 23, 2008 2:50 PM

Feed Me w/ Your Kiss last night was the closest approximation to head(board)banging ecstasy I've experienced at a concert in a long while. Don't know if I can handle my second dose tonight, but, ohhh yes, I will try.

Posted by shelbyC | September 23, 2008 2:57 PM

yeah low grade E.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 3:16 PM

I think if you go you owe it to yourself to get right up in front by the side stacks or in the middle.

i mean 2/3 of the way back? maybe when I'm 79...

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 3:31 PM

I saw an approx 79 yr old 1/2 way back with thick ass bifocles and NO earplugs...SO GANGSTA!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 3:40 PM

3:40 PM - I saw that guy too! And he was also at Sigur Ros last week. Freaking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:05 PM

wasnt Joly was it? he's only in his early 60s.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:08 PM

photos and commentary of roseland monday nite show

Posted by kenyon | September 23, 2008 4:09 PM

sorry Mr Joly, 50s...

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:10 PM

damn, the lilys tonite? shoot, not fair. had to wait through two shit openers last nite.

Posted by kenyon | September 23, 2008 4:12 PM

good post on your blog, last song was about 18 minutes? Id have to double check the camera. to me it sounded like being right up under Niagara Falls, only louder. jet engine at full power, yes.

btw- I got there little after 8, and the place was already pretty much packed, so it was an early arriving crowd if you want to grab a good spot near the stage tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:17 PM

"who was that zoned out chick in the blue dress in VIP doing the shoegaze organazm dance? She was not as hot as I would hope."

LMAO! That was bizarre. Arms fully outstretched, huge smile on her face. Maybe she was on shrooms?

Posted by sloop_john_b | September 23, 2008 4:34 PM

am i the only one who is disappointed with this band live? seriously, power chords played so loud it sounds bad? any subtlety my bloody valentine had on their albums is totally devoured by their obsession with maximum amplification. i love me some loud music, but they push it way past the sweet spot. loudness as a statement i guess, but what's the statement? ok, i can now say unequivically that my bloody valentine is the loudest band i've ever seen. but far from the best.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 4:41 PM

I saw them at ATP and it was exhilarating. As good as I remember when I saw them tour for Loveless after it came out. They are certainly one of the best live experiences for me and I can't wait to see them in Toronto again this week. They are one of the loudest for sure, but that has been what they have always been known for live.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 5:10 PM

they give out earplugs, correct?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 5:32 PM

correct

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 5:35 PM

come on people - the show was simply too loud and yes, they are known for being crazy loud live but for the old timers (yep, me) around who saw them back in the day, answer this: didn't they sound better AND loud all those years ago? last nights show could have been in an acoustically perfect space and it still would have been too loud (oh so rare defense of Roseland). the texture wasn't there, the vocals are always deep and buried in their mix but really...vocals...vocals...vocals anyone? please just turn it down a wee bit and get the mix better. you can still ass fuck us with jet engines be sure of that. make it a Singapore Airlines jet and not a Ryanair jet and we'll all feel better for it in the morning.

one last bit....the openers...just get rid of them but of course we'd all be bitching about no openers and mbv only doing 81 minutes. yes, that is a swipe at playing for only 81 minutes. again though, it was a bit loud so maybe that was...

oh fuck it

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 5:56 PM

the only part that was excessive loud at ATP was the finale...other than that, dinosaur jr seemed just as loud to me...and i am an old timer as well, saw them back in the day and it was just as good...feed me with your kiss was my favorite track...

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 6:22 PM

that old dude is named Professor Matt and he is at *every* show.

Posted by grace6697 | September 23, 2008 8:11 PM

weird, it was only an hour (plus half-hour shtick outro, which is just show biz). But what a great hour.

Sorry, but they really WERE better on the Loveless tour... and they played longer than an hour.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 11:26 PM

There vocals are supposed to be buried in the mix. Didn't those who are complaining about them ever hear their music before?

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2008 11:48 PM

Comparing these shows to the Loveless tour is absolutely ridiculous. How long ago was that...15/16 years?! Come on. Their recent shows were mind blowing, so really, all this bullshit of comparing it to how they were 16 years ago is lame. It was a great hour, so why even complain. Feel lucky to have been there and to have seen this amazing band make their triumphant return. Gee wiz.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:14 AM

They rarely use power chords. Barre chords occasionally, but I'd love for you to tell me what Kevin is playing half the time, especially on the alternate tuned guitars. He uses the power chord shape a lot, but it's hardly ever actually those sonic intervals. The changes were perfectly clear and the tone was gorgeous tonight; Kevin should be proud, having struggled with sound issues in the old days.

You can hear the vocals if you tune out the presence-y tones by using earplugs. Actually, I even heard them when I wasn't using earplugs tonight, and I was right in front of Kevin's stacks.

Yes, some Dino shows are pretty much just as loud and at least, for someone like me who's used to abuse, it wasn't unbearable, though you'd want to at least have the option of earplugs.

In conclusion: Amazing. Shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:19 AM

what?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:55 AM

tonight was brilliant. period. all you haters can go to hell

Posted by Bobby the Rookie | September 24, 2008 12:58 AM

Well, that was pretty much perfect if you ask me.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 12:59 AM

damn why didn't i buy tickets to both shows?!

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2008 1:43 AM

enjoyed both shows. would have been nice if the vocals were louder, they played a few different songs & they didn't rely on prerecorded parts.

night 2 was better.

Posted by googoogaga | September 28, 2008 10:54 AM

Does anyone know how to contact the band? I recorded the 9-22 show on DAT and I would like to send them a copy of it.

Posted by dash451 | October 5, 2008 5:13 PM