Posted in music | pictures on September 18, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

DOWNLOAD: Sigur Ros - gobbledigook (instrumental) (MP3)

Sigur Ros @ United Palace

"It was transcendent. I have never seen a show this good - they played a gtr with a saw and played the same measure 30 times in a row, getting gradually louder until they started singing in this made up language, really high & slightly off key - then they did it again, except this time no made up language!!! And so it went!!! I'm a berklee trained musician and I've seem some amazing shit, but no one will ever top what I saw this magical night." [Anonoymous]
Sigur Ros played their first of two shows at United Palace in NYC last night (Sept 17, 2008). More below...

Sigur Ros @ United Palace

The United Palace theater, originally known as Loew's 175th Street Theatre, is one of the 3 Loew's Wonder Theaters in New York City. Located at 175th Street and Broadway in Manhattan, New York City, the theatre was designed by Thomas W. Lamb for vaudeville and movies and opened in 1930. When the theater opened, its auditorium was the third largest in the United States. Its architectural style is described by the AIA Guide to New York City as "Cambodian neo-Classical" and by David W. Dunlap as "Byzantine-Romanesque-Indo-Hindu-Sino- Moorish-Persian-Eclectic-Rococo-Deco." [Wikipedia]

Sigur Ros @ United Palace

A look at the inside of what has been called a "delirious masterpiece". By the 1960's, after the great movie palaces had all closed down, the 175th St. Theatre was purchased by Rev. Ike's Christ United Church in 1969. The historic theatre has been exquisitely restored and is still maintained for concerts (performances in 2007 included Björk, Iggy and the Stooges and Modest Mouse, The Black Crowes, The Arcade Fire, and Sir Simon Rattle conducting the Berlin Philharmonic in The Rite of Spring), recitals, classes and lectures. [Wikipedia]

Sigur Ros @ United Palace

for the first time in america since 2001 the band will be playing completely on their own, without the support of amiina and the horny brasstards. supporting the band for this tour is jónsi's boyfriend's band parachutes.

Sigur Ros @ United Palace

"I thought they were good, not great. Not to compare, but the show in June at the Ballroom was amazing... tonight was really good but didn't blow me away like June did. Maybe 'cause it was a larger venue, or the lack of a marching band... still well worth going though. And the theater, wow, what an amazing building." [Anonymous]

setlist:

inní mér syngur vitleysingur
sæglópur
hafssól
gobbledigook

all alright
popplagið

They do it again tonight (Sept 18) - same time, same place. All tour dates HERE.

Beck is also playing at this venue.

moma was better.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 7:46 AM

What time did Sigur Ros come out last night? I'm going to night and don't want to be late. Thanks

Posted by Carl Spackler | September 18, 2008 8:12 AM

"sigur ros went on around 9 and played for 1.5 hours and then another few songs for encore"

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:15 AM

Sigur Ros came on around nine.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:16 AM

i think it was very noticeable that last night was the first show of the tour & that sigur ros have yet to find their groove without amiina. tonight will better & they'll fill out their sound more as a 4-piece as the tour moves on. i'm sort of confused by their song selections, but i guess since they're on tour for the new album & are playing mostly songs from it. even if they do have a lot of other material that would sound better as a 4-piece. either way, it's always, always, always enjoyable to see sigur ros!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:26 AM

Great, great show. Sigur Ros have that rare quality to show how it's done without being pretentious. Theater & sound was AMAZING

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:26 AM

Epic, great encore. Best show I've seen in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:28 AM

did they start before nine? or more like nine thirty

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 8:57 AM

Good show, but they are better with the strings and horns. The 4 piece just didn't quite do them justice live.

Posted by CN | September 18, 2008 8:57 AM

I should try harder to enter the Sigur Ros world at some point. So far I can't...don't know why

Posted by liveon35mm.com | September 18, 2008 9:00 AM

Sigur Ros needs to listen to more Animal Collective.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:04 AM

Awesome shots Ryan!

Posted by Chris | September 18, 2008 9:04 AM

Great shots Ryan!!!

Wish I could say the same about anything on liveon35mm.com...PLEASE STOP PLUGGING YOUR DAMN WEBSITE ALL OVER THIS BLOG

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:06 AM

I don't like their music.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:07 AM

Those were some very excellent photos. Thanks!

Posted by Jed | September 18, 2008 9:07 AM

I was high as hell at this show and not only was sigur ros amazing, I couldn't get over the theater itself... that place is a site to see

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:14 AM

Good show, but agree with above - they are better with strings and horns.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:20 AM

awful band

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:26 AM

Good show? Only if you are a jaded Sigur Ros junkie who has seen them many times. This was an awesome show, in the actual sense of that word. The music, the lights...the crowd was enthusiastic but respectful, the venue is amazing, and the band are getting kind of chatty and loose (well, compared to the past). If there is a better band in this world right now (other than Radiohead) I don't know who that would be...PS great pics

Posted by david z | September 18, 2008 9:28 AM

if belle & sebastian ever get off their lazy asses and tour again, they should play this place the next time they come to nyc.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:29 AM

Great show, as usual. But I was in the upper level and ironically I thought the sound was too cavernous up there. The singing and drums got a little lost in all the reverb. That, and, the MOMA show was better. Nothing wrong with last night's show, but seeing Sigur Ros with a full string section and brass section was just about the most epic thing I've seen in my life. But, great band, great theater. Totally jealous of the folks going tonight.

Posted by chris | September 18, 2008 9:42 AM

washington heights is the dominican williamsburg

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:46 AM

Wonder if they will ever play Festival live

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:47 AM

Were there people selling tix outside? On other words, if I went without tix tonight, what would be my chances of entry?

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:47 AM

Agreed with 9:42. I was near the front of the balcony and the sound seemed a little muddy... still a really good show, and just an amazing space.

(For those that asked, Sigur Ros started just a couple minutes after 9, played ~90 minutes before the encore break.)

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:47 AM

By the way, for those going tonight, the seating (at least up front on the sides where I was) is a complete clusterfuck. No row markings...no seat numbers. Staff not particularly helpful. I guess there is no row AA in the far left and right sections. Just be prepared for confusion.

Posted by CN | September 18, 2008 9:54 AM

Sigur Ros went on right around 9. Opening band werent worth getting there early in my opinion (why do people feel compelled to schedule openers that sound eerily similar to the headliner?) Awesome microbrews (overpriced, but expected). Beautiful venue. My view from the orchestra behind the sound booth was excellent and sound was great (i can always go a little louder. LOTS of people trying to get rid of tickets outside around 8:30. All in all a blast.....but no Vaka! Who bought beck tickets?

Posted by schoolteachertirednextday | September 18, 2008 10:04 AM

"Good show? Only if you are a jaded Sigur Ros junkie who has seen them many times. This was an awesome show, in the actual sense of that word"

no, this show was just good. not awesome

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:04 AM

ryan - great pix!

sigur went on at 9pm sharp and ended almost as sharply at 11

there were a bunch of peeps (non scalpers) with extra tickets outsides.

please leave your damn digicams at home tonight (even though i wont be there) that shit is just annoying and distracting to everyone but yourself. let the pros like ryan shoot for you. you'll NEVER get anything that good on your iphone anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:07 AM

I broke my Macbook Air while distracting people and shooting too many pictures on my iPhone.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:13 AM

i just found out that i can't go to tonight's show anymore ... i'm super pissed. either way, if anyone needs tix let me know.

dmc3116[at]gmail[dot]com

Posted by david | September 18, 2008 10:23 AM

I'm hoping for 'Vaka' tonight!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 10:34 AM

If you are in need of tickets for tonight's show, and wouldn't mind helping a fellow regular concert goer and big Sigur Ros fan out, I have a pair of decent seats that I would like to sell to an actual fan who will appreciate the show at face value or the best offer that you can make me.
Details below.
If interested, please email mcnamabe@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Sigur Ros - TONIGHT
Thursday, Sept 18
United Palace Theatre
2 tickets, sold as a pair
Seat location: section ORCH, row X, seats 108-110
Total: $124 or Best Offer
Seats are located in the back of the orchestra, but much better then anything in the Mezzanine or Balcony (believe me from experience)
Seating Chart: http://www.theunitedpalace.com/seatingchart.htm

Posted by Brett | September 18, 2008 10:56 AM

I need to be back at Penn Station by 11:35...am I going to have to miss the encore?

Posted by Jason | September 18, 2008 11:17 AM

Amazing show indeed; sound was bordering perfection and the theatre is seriously amazing!
I actually preferred Sigur Ros without the accompanying strings last night. Other times when I've seen them with Amiina the sound is definitely fuller, but their presence isn't as impacting. Being just the four of them they have to work harder for every song, and it pays off.
Jonsi seemed way more driven and "up for it" than when I've seen them in the past. There were surely a few mistakes and missed notes here and there (and if you know Icelandic you noticed Jonsi screwed up some lyrics), but it didn't detract at all from the show. It was an event, and well-orchestrated, even without an orchestra.

And who does their wardrobe? Bravo! Give that person a raise, seriously!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:20 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:37 AM

did anybody see a black person on the subway ride home? i'm supposed to go tonite but might have to cancel if there were any black sightings on night 1. help a fellow racist out!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:42 AM

screw this idiot Brett who wants to sell "at face value or the best offer you can make" either sell em at face to a fan or go rip off some other poor fool on craigslist. you cant pretend to be doing a good thing then try and make a buck if someone is desperate enough. oh and i think you can make it to penn in time....just wait by the door during the encore and hustle

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:51 AM

were the non-scalpers selling the tickets below face value?

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 11:56 AM

what's the deal with taking cameras into United Palace? Can i take in my dslr?

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:11 PM

11:51...or bets offer can mean less than face.If you offer $100 for the pair and he gets no other offers that would be the best offer and under face!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:20 PM

getting there early isn't a bad idea, since it's virtually impossible to find your seat after the band starts. United Palace staff are hilarious, like everything else about that dump. Bring your own flashlight for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:26 PM

Best offer does not necessarily mean "more than face value" - in fact, that usually implies that the seller is willing to negotiate a lower price (in this case less than face) as the buyer only has so much to offer. So this person does, in fact, appear to be doing a generous thing by offering that.

CHILL THE F**K OUT!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:28 PM

"after the show you guys should all stand on the corner of 171st and St. Nic. Lots of Sigur Ros fans hang out there."

Aren't they a wild bunch? I'm so tired of being good.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:30 PM

11:51 you are a dumb ass. Brett is selling them at either cost of tickets or best offer which would be less then cost.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:32 PM

Was odd hearing them without the strings. Lots of empty spaces in the music. I believe they played the 2001 show at the Beacon without strings and it was an amazing show.

They will find there way as the tour progresses.

Def highlight of the show last night was a beautiful Its Alright. First time i've heard it live this year.

What i'm hoping to hear tonight, Staralfur and Milano.

Posted by ss | September 18, 2008 1:30 PM

up close to the stage, security was not happy about people with cameras last night (w/o a photo pass). i saw a security guy threaten to take a girl's camera in the 2nd row.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:31 PM

Ryan, these photos are amazing! You really captured the feel of the show. Wish I had known you were shooting though, I would've said hi!

Posted by Leia | September 18, 2008 1:31 PM

The "amazing" count is only at 11 for this page. Come on, hipsters! This is Sigur Ros! You can do better!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:44 PM

amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:50 PM

> i saw a security guy threaten to take a girl's camera in the 2nd row.

i wish they had, i was sitting 2 rows behind her and that damn lcd screen was bright and annoying as fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:16 PM

saw them at the beacon a few years back... sat in the second row... i fell asleep...

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 2:21 PM

thank you for the train photos!

Posted by Pedro | September 18, 2008 3:05 PM

In response to Anon 11:51

I'm Brett 10:56 who posted the tickets for sale.
When I said face value or best offer, I meant less then face value - which is obvious to most people.
My offer was simply to get the tickets to a fan (like myself who is going to the show!) while trying to not lose all of my money that was spent on the tickets. Just for the record - I still haven't sold the tickets b/c there are an abundance for sale.

Thanks to Anon 12:20, 12:28, & 12:32 for defending me. Always good to see some good logical people on here.
And Thanks to BV for running such an awesome blog.

Posted by Brett | September 18, 2008 3:39 PM

amazing (posts today).

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:42 PM

all you scalpers can cry me a river, LOL I hope the cardboard tastes good!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 3:49 PM

fyi, they tore tix last night, no scanning of the barcode. just make up something at home and go!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:26 PM

security there was pointless. they didn't check anything, they didn't even scan the tickets. but the show on the other hand was unbelievable.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:50 PM

I had an extra for Wednesday, and no one was buying the extras. I gave my extra to a guy on the street and he didn't even use it. Seriously, jsut show up and you"ll probably get one for free.

I agree with those who said show was good, not great. Saw the Manhattan Center show in June. That was one of the best I've seen. This one was still better than 99% of other bands you're likely to see, but the strings and horns make a big difference.

Posted by Who | September 18, 2008 5:02 PM

they should sing in english

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:07 PM

Anyone know how awful balcony seats are? I'm three rows from the very back....

Posted by Jason | September 18, 2008 5:17 PM

SHUT YOUR FACE!

Posted by Clint Eastwood | September 18, 2008 5:17 PM

I was not gonna bother making a comment but a lot of these have been so hilarious i just had to.
Was at the show last night as well as MOMA as well as Grand Ballroom as well as a number of other shows they have played in the past in nyc going back to the beginning. But for purposes of clarity for this year
Grand Ballroom was better than MOMA and both of those were better than last night. Anyone who claims different was not at these shows or is jealous cause they didnt get to Grand Ballroom or didnt get to MOMA and finally got to see them when they played a huge place and tickets were easier to come by. Last night was far from amazing and if you were at either of the previous shows you know this is the truth. The majesty of their sound in a small place cannot be beaten and this has nothing to do with this being the first show of the tour. Silly fools, they have been a band for years and have played in this configuration before.

I do enjoy the people on here talking about United Palace as if it just opened. Sorry fucks but this place has hosted a number of shows already. You did not pioneer anything.

Also, i was anon posting when these tickets first went on sale and i said it then and lovely to see i was 100% right. As with every show so far at United Palace, they are practically giving away tickets outside. So for the people who said i was crazy and had no idea what i was talking about go FUCK YOURSELVES.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:42 PM

I was at the show last night, it was fantastic.

Though it was my first Sigur Ros show, I don't need to sit here on the internet and compare it to a bunch of other shows I've seen by them——however you look at it, they played very well last night.

They tried, really hard, to command the respect/ears of the audience, and for the most part, it worked. There was one part, though, where the band fell silent, and some idiot in the crowd ruined the moment by shouting at the top of his lungs.

Whatever, it was a fantastic show at a fantastic venue. The guy who posted above me can suck a nut, he's being WAYYYYY too pissed off about a lot of unimportant things.

EXCELLENT PHOTOS ryan. i love your stuff.

Posted by gabriel | September 18, 2008 7:04 PM

These photos are fantastic. Thank you Ryan, and thanks BV!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 9:43 PM

i went tonight and i gotta say
i was quiet, cordial, etc the whole show, but
when i wanted to go to the bathroom once, yes, ONCE
some c*nt at the end of the wrong asked me "are you serious?"
as I walked.
It was at the encore when EVERYONE was standing up because the band asked people to.

So tired of concert gestapo. Seems to happen at shows like this.
It's the reason I can't see Radiohead anymore.
Go home and blow your geek ass scared looking boyfriend bitch. I should have kicked your librarian ass.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:27 AM

ok.....other than people being mad at your bathroom habbits-hows was the show? same setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:31 AM

With all due respect, hold it in. What are you a toddler? Can't hold your wee-wee in for 1.5 hours?

There were so many stupid hipsters getting up/sitting back down and walking up and down the aisles throughout the show it was embarrassing. It's fucking Sigur Ros!

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:35 AM

hey 12:35
I guess you are right. i will start wearing diapers to shows.
thanks.

and by the way, there is nothing hip about me at all

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:39 AM

Um, Yeah, Now that i think about it, I should have just shit in my seat. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:41 AM

Other than that, great show. Popplagið was the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:42 AM

I shit and piss myself during the show. So worth it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:42 AM

"With all due respect" GO FUCK YOURSELF

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:45 AM

setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:46 AM

" I have to say the people who were walking around and making whole rows get up so they could sit down (mostly near the beginning) were annoying as fuck."

Yeah, I hate having to move out of the way for someone, that's why I live in NY.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:50 AM

The show was great. Set list to come.
The audience was mostly great. There were a few drunken idiots and a few nazis.

Posted by Pablo | September 19, 2008 12:52 AM

awesome show, I think the setlist was the same expect for the encores...?

Posted by Pedro | September 19, 2008 12:54 AM

was a good show, and they nailed the vocals but I honestly don't think it compares to the experience i had at the grand ballroom show. really wanted to hear ara batur too :(

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:56 AM

I don't care about getting up for people or whatever when there's no band on (or even during the opener) but why do you wait till the main act is already playing to find your seat? I guarantee you most of the people who were doing that today were just standing outside before and decided not to go in until they heard the show started. Yes, when I am trying to watch a band I like and especially a quieter song it is annoying when 50 people are trying to find their seats around me cause they chose not to earlier.

The crowd was fine where I was after everyone got settled.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 12:57 AM

To 12:57AM
When they play your living room you can tell people when they can get up to use the facilities- until then live and let live buster.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:02 AM

same setlist with one difference?
bummer.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:02 AM

Setlist was the same as last night except they did Illgresi instead of All Alright in the encore.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:03 AM

jónsi is gay and blind in one eye, but he NEVER pees.
fascinating

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:03 AM

-- if you gotta go you gotta go, but the people who didn't shut the fuck up and who were still getting to their seats well into the set were annoying.

-- put some numbers you can read on those seats so i don't have to hear the npr yuppies going "IS THIS Q 120? I THINK YOU'RE IN OUR SEATS! OH WAIT WE'RE ACTUALLY OVER THERE..."

-- the guy who ran up and down the aisle during hoppipolla and inni mer... is my fucking hero. also the guy who screamed "YOU XYLO NO FI!!" on the tokyo subway ride back.

-- the two skinny hipster idiots who jumped on stage should've gotten mauled by security.

-- sigur ros was obvs great. parachutes too.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:03 AM

I think the lighting guy being sick with pneumonia had something to do with set being almost exactly the same tonight. These shows had a different feel then the Grand Ballroom, but were unique in their own way. i thought the 4 of them did a great job (was there really any doubt?). i have to say that having the strings and horns always helps, but it did not hurt the shows at United Palace in any way. my only complaint was that they didn't play 'Vaka.'

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:06 AM

SETLIST!

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:07 AM

i forgot, why no Festival...):

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:11 AM

1:02, I didn't say anything about people getting up to go to the bathroom. I'm talking about the people who were still coming in in hoards after Sigur Ros was on stage trying to find their seats for the first time. I truly doubt most of them were just late. And many of them, instead of doing it courteously, would stand there and block people's views for long periods of time before they sat down.

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:12 AM

oh yea, no festival really bothered me too. i wanted to hear that bad, would've made it amazing

Posted by Anonymous | September 19, 2008 1:14 AM

Saw them in Boston, and they blew me away. There is something so quietly magical about their existence.

haha, p.s. they all wore the same clothes at the Boston concert, except orri. He wore an awesome shiny plastic crown.

p.p.s the pictures are phenomenal.

Posted by Anonymous | September 22, 2008 6:02 PM

That show was great, I like their way of expressing emotions. Sigur Ros is awesome.

Posted by Thomas | August 5, 2010 5:44 AM

I won't forget that evening, because the music was awesome.

Posted by John H. Beavers | December 2, 2010 5:35 AM