Posted in music | pictures on September 29, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

BAM

Annie Clark (aka St. Vincent) rocked BAM's Howard Gilman Opera House at BAM's all-night party The Takeover [Saturday] night. While it was a little weird to see a rock show at a sit-down theater, her music was suited to the venue. She manages to somehow sound delicate and strong at the same time, filling the theater with sound, but causing the audience to hold our collective breaths for fear of overwhelming the poor girl. She had five other people on stage with her, with a sax/clarinetist, a pianist and a violinist in addition to a bassist and drummer, lending a chamber pop flavor to the mix.

Let not all this lead you to believe that the girl cannot rock, though. She totally shreds on the guitar. It creates a good incongruousness to her fragile voice.

She played a few new songs, although this was my first time seeing her, so I wouldn't have realized. But they were as well received as the older stuff. Though the show was almost an hour long, she played about seven songs. I don't know if it was the setting, the hour, or what, but each song seemed to last forever (in a good way) creating an ideal atmosphere in which to kind of bliss out.

She wrapped up the show by inviting Sufjan Stevens onstage (he had curated and hosted the night's performances) for a cover of Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight."... [AM NY]

More pictures below...

They make a nice couple.

Posted by drewo | September 29, 2008 10:17 AM

he hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 10:22 AM

"our collective breaths"

That's redundant.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 10:34 AM

I saw kids with braces in those photos. was it all ages? did it sell near capacity?

Posted by allAges | September 29, 2008 10:47 AM

pretty much always a good idea to cover phil collins songs

Posted by Heather | September 29, 2008 10:56 AM

>>he hit it.

not unless "it" was a guy....

also to the girl wearing the big wool winter hat in the audience :

Fall is like 5 days old, people are are still wearing short sleeves outdoors AND you are indoors... stop the insanity...

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 11:37 AM

The overall event was underwhelming, although St. Vincent and The Budos Band were great. It did not compare to last year's Takeover which was a blast. The crowd skewed VERY VERY young and, er, at the risk of sounding snobby...unsophisticated, which gave it a weird vibe.
King Britt and Vikter Duplaix usually spin great sets but they seemed to be half-assing it. Maybe because the people on the floor couldn't dance any damn way.
None of the films were appealing and I could do without the game room.
I was a bit upset that I spent $20 for that. I could have done all the things I did enjoy elsewhere and in more enjoyable environments. I'm a BAM member so I'm going to let them know.

Posted by starfishncoffee | September 29, 2008 11:37 AM

Anybody got a link to a recording of the tune she did with Sufjan?

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 11:37 AM

looks like a real rager.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 11:43 AM

SujFAN looks like a frat boy with his overly curved baseball hat cocked like that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 11:57 AM

Here's a clip short clip of the St. Vincent Sufjan cover with poor sound.

Posted by Dan B | September 29, 2008 12:12 PM

Why does every asshole with a crappy digital camera think it is acceptable to videotape without permission any event they attend? Stupid motherfuckers.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | September 29, 2008 12:19 PM

"Here's a clip short clip of the St. Vincent Sufjan cover with poor sound."

Why would I want to watch a clip with poor sound you moron.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 12:26 PM

anyone have any idea what kind of keyboard sufjan was playing?

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 12:28 PM

So, anybody know whether it is even legal for some jackass to record somebody else's show and then post it on the internet without permission? Just curious.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | September 29, 2008 12:38 PM

..You mean like 90% of the stuff on You Tube ?

I think most artists look at it as free publicity and don't worry too much about it...

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 1:21 PM

Posted by SeeYouInTea | September 29, 2008 1:34 PM

It looks like he's playing Microkorg, right?

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 2:15 PM

He just wanted an excuse to use the vocoder setting on his MicroKorg - should've gone with a Daft Punk or George Clinton cover instead.

Posted by greg | September 29, 2008 2:18 PM

>>Yeah, I'm sure most artists appreciate having a crappy video with bad sound put up on a website to represent their work.

Well you got to take the bad with the good... ultimately if people are seeking it out and its getting lots of hits its a positive thing.
It would take alot of effort to prevent the videos anyway so I think you almost have to have a positive attitude towards them...

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 2:22 PM

Long time lurker
1st time contributor

Now, as an "asshole with a digital camera" I've taken several videos of bands that I enjoy over the past three years (youtube.com/jonaubin).

I've developed a technique that requires endurance, patience, and timing by recording only complete songs; clips, I think we can all agree, have their place, but constitute 99% of shitty live music bootlegs.

I think it is a shame that a fan of music would be against bootlegging live recordings. Boots are the lifeblood of fan / obsessive types like yourself and I.

I receive no income as a result of the videos I post on YouTube, but I do earn the pleasure of like-minded individuals who respect the craft, more often than not, these kudos come from the bands themselves.

There are times, however, when I've stood too close to the monitor, or the venue had lousy acoustics, and the sound has suffered, but I usually don't post those.

As is life, as is YouTube. When should use discretion in posting, and ask ourselves, would anyone outside myself really give two shits?

The answer doesn't matter, Seeyouintea, because this a free country, and I think what you espouse is facism.

Posted by jonaubin | September 29, 2008 2:50 PM

^^ But facism is so *IN* this year, though!

Posted by greg | September 29, 2008 3:01 PM

So it is fascism to think unauthorized assholes with crappy digital cameras shouldn't (1) get in everybody's way at ever concert;and (2) post unauthorized videos on the web. I suppose it is also fascism to expect people to pay artists for their music or am I gonna hear about how it is totally acceptable to illegally download free music too?

It is amazing to me how hipster assholes can justify pretty much anything they do as being acceptable. If you want to video tape a concert and are so fucking brillian at it, then why not ask the band in advance and get some fucking press credentials you stupid cock face.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | September 29, 2008 3:23 PM

The St. Vincent girl is pretty cute, but in these photos she looks like she could use a Big Mac attack.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2008 3:24 PM

3:24 -- you could use a big cock attack right up your ass.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | September 29, 2008 3:26 PM

Thank you for bringing the discourse down the basest level possible. You're so good at making my point for me.

Posted by jonaubin | September 29, 2008 3:37 PM

Still trying to figure out Jon why you can't play by the rules and get permission to make your super cool videos?

Posted by seeyouintea | September 29, 2008 4:08 PM

The same reason I'm going to get high and listen to Motorhead . . . because I can.

CUinT, if you wish to throw yourself at the mercy of the digital camera people, you might want to call up Sisyphus for spiritual advice.

Posted by jonaubin | September 29, 2008 5:09 PM

all you need to know:

1.) it was a very cool event - very creative and fun atmosphere
2.) The dancing from 1-3am was the best part - even though I and 8 others were the only ones who participated in this basic human pleasure. (seriously - why the fuck dont people like dancing always blows my mind..)
3.) Lots of lovely women were there looking to dance - lots of lame ass dudes milling about and not dancing. Apparently men at BAM parties dont like to have sex.
4.) In my opinion, St. Vincent = intellectual masturbation x lullaby / i respect her as an artist.

Posted by Hospital Beds | September 29, 2008 5:36 PM

Sufjan and Nico Muhly are officially an item now

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2008 1:39 AM

I'm usually loathe to argue with teens on the internet...

but, I'm sure that the person who shot that video had just as much "permission" to do that, as the band had "permission" to play a Phil Collins song.

You realize that you're getting your panties in a wad about whether or not it's appropriate to post a video of a band playing a cover song?!?!

Unless it was specifically stated by the venue or the band as being unacceptable, I'm pretty certain that the fan was within their legal rights to tape the public performance and post it online.

Posted by Scar Party | September 30, 2008 9:56 AM

I'm so in love with Annie Clark

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2008 10:47 AM

I'm so in love with Annie Clark

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2008 10:48 AM

"but, I'm sure that the person who shot that video had just as much 'permission' to do that, as the band had 'permission' to play a Phil Collins song."

According to a comment someone posted some time ago on another BV post, venues typically pay ASCAP or BMI and thus anyone who performs at that venue has "permission" to perform songs written by other songwriters.

"Unless it was specifically stated by the venue or the band as being unacceptable..."

It *usually* is, on the ticket or a sign at the venue.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2008 11:52 AM

All photographing and videotaping at BAM is strictly prohibited by the terms of a union contract with the stagehands union, not to mention is a violation of copyright laws and the terms of the license, i.e. ticket that an individual pays to attend such event. Something tells me this sort of thing is not a problem during symphony performances, operas and plays.

Posted by UnionPower | September 30, 2008 12:14 PM

Most venues, and almost certainly band, pay dues to the publishers' associations (ASCAP, BMI, etc.)so cover songs are perfectly legal.

Posted by TrademarkAttorney | September 30, 2008 12:15 PM

Wow.
It's as if Hospital Beds and I were at a completely different event.

Posted by starfishncoffee | September 30, 2008 12:20 PM

10:47/48-good luck if you're not another woman

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2008 9:48 AM

Are you saying Annie Clark is a lesbian?

Posted by Antonio | October 1, 2008 11:13 AM

She is for sure. But in the closet.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM

who knew the closet would be big in enough to fit BOTH St. Vincent and Sufjan Stephens

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2010 12:11 AM