Posted in music | pictures on September 18, 2008

photos by Kurt Christensen

Liam Ó Maonlaí...

Patty Griffin...

The Swell Season...

The Swell Season, September 17, 2008 @
Central Park, Rumsey Playfield (Summerstage) set list

into the mystic (van morrison)
falling slowly
lies
the moon
when yr mind's made up
i have loved you wrong
say it to me now
leave
what happens when the heart just stops
finally (the frames)
back broke
fogtown (michelle shocked)
brokenhearted hoover fixer sucker guy
red chord (the frames)

encore:
the hill
if you want me
fitzcarraldo (the frames)
forever young w/ liam o maonlai (bob dylan)

so very earnest

(i'd hit it)

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:03 PM

Those are some great photos@

Posted by texasaurus | September 18, 2008 12:26 PM

great photos, but seriously can you either start thumbnailing them or make them a separate page? it takes forever to scroll down.
and if i cant scroll down fast enough, i cant yell first.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:29 PM

I Heart the Swell Season!

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 12:30 PM

Did they play w/ a band or was it just the 2 of them? They usually have the frames backing them.

Posted by wembley | September 18, 2008 12:58 PM

great photos

crappy band = Swell Season

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 1:05 PM

They did have a backing band. No drummer though. Violin, bass, guitar. Liam Ó Maonlaí came out and played piano as well, and sang the final song in the encore.

Posted by Kurt C. | September 18, 2008 1:18 PM

Wonderful show last evening, imo. I think Glen is a great frontman, and seemed quite loose and relaxed last evening (sometimes he can be quite intense with The Frames). I think they have really found a nice way to mix up their shows, sprinkling in covers as well as Frames songs. The backing band was comprised of his Frames bandmates, minus a drummer as mentioned above. The other song that Liam sang/played piano on was a new Mar song, I guess what is being called I Have Loved You Wrong. (Back Broke is a new Glen song, which he played solo.)

Posted by Jeremy | September 18, 2008 2:49 PM

Awesome.

Posted by Twiggy | September 18, 2008 3:19 PM

FYI, What Happens When the Heart Just Stops and When Your Mind's Made Up (as well as the full band version of Falling Slowly) are also Frames songs, and please, for the love of god, can Glen return to his day job with them? Please? Enough Swell Season, thanks very much.

Posted by Matt | September 18, 2008 3:31 PM

it's weird that she's like my age and he's like 40 and they're tapping.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 4:23 PM

matt, yeah i forgot to put that on the set list. though the frames' falling slowly and the swell season's falling slowly are very different as far as i'm concerned.

anon 4.23, i agree lol. she's 6 months older than me... weird.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:40 PM

great show! and great photos!

Posted by amy | September 18, 2008 10:19 PM

I think I've seen all (or at least most) of the pictures posted online from their tour beginning in the spring, and I have to say that these are the best I've come across . . . are you a professional? Anyway, thanks so much!

Posted by Julie | September 19, 2008 1:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments! You can see more of my shots at the link on my name up top.

I was so happy to be at the show, because it is rare to see a band that is so genuinely happy to perform in front of people. There is certainly an energy about Glen Hansard which is different from most musicians I have seen.

Posted by Kurt C. | September 19, 2008 1:42 PM