Posted in To Do | dance | music on September 11, 2008

by Showtrotta

DOWNLOAD: Cassius - Exclusive DJ Mix Set 2002 (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: DJ Dee Nice - "Control" May '08 mix (Mediafire MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Diplo - Sesiones Replicantes 3/8/08 (zSHARE MP3)

Modeselektor at the Highline Ballroom - September 4, 2008 (CRED)
Modeselektor

Last Thursday I started the night at Hiro Ballroom and hopped in a cab aroudn 12:30 to make it down to Santos just in time for a surprisingly darker, more thumping, and awesome DJ set than I expected from Fischerspooner. Santos was the most packed I've seen it and everyone was hitting the floor relentlessly.

At a quarter to 2 I tore myself away from the packed floor (didn't stick around the live show) and cabbed it to the Highline Ballroom to catch a very lively, interesting set that never let up from Modeselektor (Ellen Allien had already played). They have a very unique sound and style that made me remember why I was so impressed when I saw them at Studio B for the first time back in March. The tracks they create touch on a variety of influences and styles, with a common energy and bang that make them as danceable as they are listenable. You could tell from Modeselektor's expressions and enthusiasm that they really enjoy what they do. They also know how to not take themselves too seriously as evidenced by their passing of the mic and lip syncing of Bjork and Antony's vocals during their remix of "Dull Flame of Desire". It was just one of many highlights crammed into an intense hour of varied beats.

I'm not sure why, but this week there is so much going on. Things get started Thursday night and keep on going straight through to next week. Get ready!

Thursday night one of the Ete d'amour parties I've really been looking forward to is finally here!

Ete

Advanced tickets available here

I'll spare you my I <3 Cassius tangent since I already had it a
couple of weeks ago
. For further evidence of why I'm so hyped for this party download an hour long mix by Cassius from 2002 at the top of this post. I used to listen to it alot back when I was first getting into electronic music and still find it particularly awesome 6 years later.

As far as Frank from Ame (Innervisions) goes I'm not too familiar, but according to Santos:

AME-- French for "soul"-- stand on a musical nexus where Detroit techno, Chicago house, French touch and New York disco-house all intersect and interweave, entertaining the auditory senses. Frank from AME's sets always cover a lot of ground (but keep you grounded!) to the floor with their unwavering soul.
Check out their June chart.

If you're getting antsy or if that line-up doesn't appeal to you, there are some other events happening over in Meatpacking...

At APT it's all about acid house with Placid and Derek Plaslaiko

10pm-4am - $10 - 21+
go

A few blocks away fashion week takes over Hiro with France's Wadklub party as well as Danish clothing label Panuu. Feadz from Ed Banger Records, designer/dj Kesh, and Wadklub resident DJ Dee Nice (download his Control mix at the top of this post, tracklisting below) take care of the music.

Hiro

Free with RSVP.
By the way, they have switched the entrance at Hiro to 88 9th Ave between 16th and 17th Streets.

Dnice

Mutek 2008 in Montreal (CRED)
Mutek

Friday (9/12) there is even more happening. For starters it's the first day of Minitek, a New York electronic minimal music festival. There are day and night events happening from Friday-Sunday. The day venue is Coney Island (R.I.P. Astroland) and the night venue is Penn Plaza. There are a variety of ticket options (single day passes, festival passes, VIP, etc.) available here or you can get tickets at Halcyon in Brooklyn as well as a 10% discount on vinyl featuring any of the artists playing the festival. The festival includes many different acts such as Richie Hawtin (who has a crazy set-up), Francois K (who is going to be deejaying Deep Space at Cielo every Monday of this month), Heidi (from Get Physical which recently got digital), and M.A.N.D.Y vs Tiefschwarz to name a few. Check out the full line-up and set times here.

Starting early Friday evening (7pm-12am), NY-based clothing company, Mishka celebrates their 5 year anniversary with Nick Catchdubs (check out some downloads from last Friday's post), Drop the Lime & the Trouble & Bass crew, and Mr. Mad Decent (whoever that is ;) at the Red Bull space (40 Thompson St.). There will be free drinks and gift bags all night and the party is free with RSVP to 5th@mishkanyc.com. Include your and your guests first and last names (no +1's).

Mishka

From there you can head to the after-party which is the new weekly, Flashing Lights, at Public Assembly (formerly Galapagos). This week's special guest is Egg Foo Young. Info + future line-ups below. As always, the party is free!

Flash Monthly

Friday the Robot Rock party at Le Royale also looks good with Linus Loves. I initially had him on my radar back when he was on Breastfed, (which he co-owned with Mylo) which doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Back then Linus Loves was Duncan Reid and Kevin McKay. now it's just Duncan. I've never seen him live before but the older stuff on his myspace sounds good to me. He also recently remixed Ladyhawke's "Dusk til Dawn" which is nice and catchy.

Linus

Free with RSVP to list@gbh.tv with your name and number of guests. Be sure to put "Linus Loves" in the subject line. When you arrive, tell the doorperson you are on the GBH guestlist.

One last option for Friday if you're in the mood for something less electro-driven and more "Deep Disco, Future Classics, and all things Funky .. ". Sharegroove is where you should be:

Royale

*NOTE* this party is at Royale in Park Slope, NOT at Le Royale in Manhattan.

Download DJ Duckcomb's edit of "What You Need" at the top of this post and check out the most recent Academy Radio show here featuring DJ Duckcomb and Steve Shakewell.

Whether you decide to stay in and save up all your energy (boo!) or use Thursday & Friday to get warmed up...prepare yourself for an even more dancey weekend ahead.

Jeez, gonna be a long trip to minitek's day stage. Should be worth it, though!

Posted by Roland | September 11, 2008 1:29 PM

is all of minitek sold out except for the all weekend & vip tix?

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:35 PM

Who should I try to catch at minitek?

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:44 PM

Minitek is not thrown by the same people as Mutek in Montreal

It's thrown by the Minimoo crew here in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:50 PM

2:44pm

im most excited for the following at Minitek:

Format: B
Richie Hawtin
Guy Gerber
Pan-Pot
Monoblock
M.A.N.D.Y vs Tiefschwartz
Francois K

no disrespect to the other dj's as i've probably seen you already. these are one's i've never seen before (except for richie hawtin)

Posted by Anonymous | September 11, 2008 2:54 PM

All tickets should still be available.

Matthew Dear (Audion) and Hawtin should be good.

Posted by dave | September 11, 2008 2:57 PM

Also, the minimoo people organized minitek. No affiliation with Mutek.

Posted by dave | September 11, 2008 2:58 PM

article all about the Minitek festival by the ny times:

Posted by jason | September 11, 2008 5:42 PM

Minitek is not thrown by the same people as Mutek in Montreal

It's thrown by the Minimoo crew here in NYC.
^^
That's is exactly right. I don't know why so many people are recycling that false information. The people that are run minimoo are friend's of mine and I assure you that minitek has no relation to mutek montreal. This dance column is so out of touch...

Posted by moo moo | September 12, 2008 1:00 AM

"The people that are run minimoo are friend's of mine and I assure you that minitek has no relation to mutek montreal. This dance column is so out of touch... "

minimal retards are never satisfied

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 1:07 AM

What are you talking about? You can always count on this board for broad generalizations. Let's see what should I call you hmm... I know, an indie retard that's it shut it you indie retard.

Posted by moo moo | September 12, 2008 2:30 AM

Dear moo moo,

Sorry I made the HUGE mistake of thinking that:

"Minitek: New York's Electronic Music + Innovation festival"

was organized by the same people responsible for:

"Mutek: Electronic and Digital Creativity Festival"

Posted by showtrotta | September 12, 2008 11:45 AM

really its called minitek?

i suppose it shows where minimal techno is right now....stuck in the doldrums of unoriginality

if i was a founder of mutek i'd laugh at the take out a 'u' add an 'ini' and hey presto youve got a clone of their internationally renowned festival without the diversity in talented music acts

please dont drag their hard earned brand into the shitter

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 11:45 AM

mootek

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 1:30 PM

mooneytek

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 1:35 PM

hey showtrotta, a bit of research isn't so hard.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:01 PM

Hi anon 2:01. You're right. A bit of research isn't so hard...and it's also not hard to make a simple mistake.

Posted by showtrotta | September 12, 2008 2:40 PM

woooaahh
back up
it was obviously a simple mistake, no need for offence to be taken,,,,,, and to be honest i think most people think/thought that this had something to do with Montreal's Mutek.....pretty logical i think

and ...... what's important here is that someone is going out of their way to tell us what dance events are going on in this fine city each weekend
so thank you for your time and effort showtrotta and keep up the good work

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2008 4:13 PM

i highly suggest catching Heartthrob and MANDY vs Tiefschwarz. Should be good good stuff.

Posted by slow dance | September 12, 2008 5:03 PM

Thanks anon 4:13. I appreciate it.

Posted by showtrotta | September 12, 2008 6:02 PM

Minitek Friday: Epic Fail

Posted by ih8minimoo | September 13, 2008 4:26 AM

Unfortunately your friends have zero chops in pulling off an event that stretches outside their elitist technohipster bubble. FAIL.

Posted by robert doosh | September 17, 2008 3:56 PM

Hey Doosh, lol... At least they tried. Also, that blog is about as out of touch as this dance column. Almost all the facts listed about that night are wrong. Just read the first comment underneath the blog for an accurate first hand account of how the cops only let 250 people to a 40,000 sq/ft venue and paralyzed their whole operation. The unwarranted shut down forced losses for the night and lost deposits for the next night in the tens of thousands. So shut your face and don't talk shit about something you know nothing about.

Posted by Anonymous | September 17, 2008 11:48 PM

Son, the parties I threw back in 1992 were more organized than this. And I was sixteen then.

Posted by robert doosh | September 18, 2008 2:29 PM

Oh yeah DOOSH. Why don't you enlighten me about who you booked "back in 92". Please don't pretend to know what it is like to run something this big.

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2008 5:06 PM

I had a great time at Minitek even after problems on Friday and a delayed start on Saturday...i can understand that people from out of town would be angry but i didn't see anyone having a bad time on saturday and sunday. Coney Island was really the best place to have the daytime parties. I love it there anyway, but this was special.

check out jaskim.com to read some negative comments from pissed off people and for links to mp3 downloads of just about every daytime set (see comments for the missing sets)

Posted by JASKIM | September 19, 2008 12:25 AM