Posted in music | pictures on September 25, 2008

photos by Chris La Putt

Weezer @ MSG

"I was seriously thinking of skipping this one despite having tickets. Very glad I didn't - great show. Forgot how hard Weezer can rock and TPC was great too.

Angels & Airwaves was just silly. Tom was prancing around stage like someone who had won an MTV contest to be a rock star and didn't quite know what to do with his limbs. My friend and I were laughing ourselves silly at his antics.

I think there was a near-riot when Weezer brought him on to do a verse of the Sweater Song, but fortunately he didn't butcher it too badly and thus saved himself from being mobbed by an angry crowd." [IA]

more pictures below...

Did they play Mercury?

Posted by michaelways | September 25, 2008 10:20 AM

cool pix

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:21 AM

fucking sick show.

Posted by slob | September 25, 2008 10:27 AM

can ANYONE confirm that they played mercury?

and was this ACTUALLY a good show?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:34 AM

pretty lame setlist... no "only in dreams", "holiday", "across the sea", "you gave your love to me softly"... too much new crap.

cool that they played "susanne" and "pink triangle" though.

Posted by wembley | September 25, 2008 10:38 AM

I can't believe I went to the Vincent Gallo show instead! What was I thinking.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:39 AM

Are people ignoring the question that has been asked twice? Did Rivers tell you all not say anything about it?

Posted by michaelways | September 25, 2008 10:45 AM

That first picture tells you all you need to know about what Weezer has become and is. That whole front crowd was also at Fiasco a couple of weeks ago.

Now, Mr. Vegan, why do you continue to post inane comments on the front page from people who have no clue.

"I think there was a near-riot when Weezer brought him on to do a verse of the Sweater Song"

Yeah you moron it was chaossssssssss. Idiots like this and that slob guy have no business reviewing any shows. They just have no concept of what is truly great and what is just another concert.

And no of course they did not play Mercury Lounge but the scene outside there after Lotus was priceless. Massive amounts of deadbeat kids doing whippets. I now i was reckless when i was 18-20 also but i do not remember ever looking that stupid

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:46 AM

yea no only in dreams is kinda strange, but im very surprised they played susannne - thats a total rarity. unless theyve been playing it this tour

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:46 AM

Wow...average age of the crowd looks like 16...The youngens like Weezer?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:46 AM

No of course they did not play Mercury Lounge but the scene outside there after Lotus was priceless. Massive amounts of deadbeat kids doing whippets. I now i was reckless when i was 18-20 also but i do not remember ever looking that stupid

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM

how the fuck does this band sell out MSG??? jesus.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM

Weezer show ended around midnight so I doubt they could have played Mercury Lounge around then.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:47 AM

Weird. I saw some douchebag selling tickets on Craigslist.

Posted by michaelways | September 25, 2008 10:50 AM

Why do you continue to post inane comments on the front page from people who have no clue.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:56 AM

i definitely heard some booing when rivers mentioned his name. it was either that or they were all humming "all the small things."

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 10:57 AM

Tom Deshlong. I am mature.

Posted by michaelways | September 25, 2008 11:05 AM

I would have straight up left the show the second that d bag stepped onstage with weezer.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:07 AM

As a long time fan who has seen weezer a ton of times I was expecting a shit show but it was actually a great time to be had. most of the arena booed when tom came out. maybe they should take note.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:11 AM

Just a reminder Rivers will be at the TPC gig tonight @ Maxwells's providing free HJ's in the bathroom!

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:22 AM

WEEZER SUCKS! PEOPLE

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:31 AM

I don't care what anyone says that's a great set list. Now i'm pissed for not going, fuck!

Posted by Matt | September 25, 2008 11:46 AM

great show. i have seen them a bunch of times and last night was by far the best. i almost lost it when they played susanne.

Posted by rico | September 25, 2008 11:47 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:55 AM

Nice pics Mr. Photographer, I remember when Brian Bell used to be in the band.

Posted by Sean Ono | September 25, 2008 12:07 PM

"The Mercury show killed, they hit at 2am and played for nearly 90 minutes - it was all old jams."

liar

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:09 PM

I don't like how brian bell stands way in the background these days. He's like a red headed step child for christ sakes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:13 PM

he deserves it for being craptacular at el scorcho.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:15 PM

Amazing show!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:17 PM

Actually, it's not a joke. They had to be off around 3:30 because the bar closes at 4. Rivers did some solo acoustic stuff from Alone (Lover in the Snow and Longtime Sunshine), the band did some older unreleased demos (Mad Kow and Modern Dukes), and covered Velouria (The Pixies). They closed with Blast Off (also off Alone) and El Scorcho. It was almost entirely industry people, but some pics/videos would be pretty awesome. They definitely looked to be having a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:18 PM

I saw Weezer 8 years ago with The Get Up Kids, TGUK stole that show. Last night was not any differant, the security guard in front of me was more entertaining. Can someone explain why Rivers sang like a verse on each song? The Blue Album and Pinkerton were obviously flukes...this band is done. Those pictures make the show look way cooler than it was. TGUK reunion in '09...suck on it.

Posted by Matt Prior | September 25, 2008 12:19 PM

Did anyone audio record the show?
I didn't stay to the end so I was hoping I could hear what I missed.

My first Weezer show and they ROCKED!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:26 PM

i heard the place was empty. far from sold out. can this be confirmed?

also they are so mediocre it's ridiculous.

Posted by grace6697 | September 25, 2008 12:32 PM

I too was one of the lucky ones at the Merc show. They didn't advertise it so there were a bunch of hippies on nitrous because someone was selling it on the corner of houston and essex after the lotus show. it made for an interesting crowd, but they knew all the words. maybe 85 people in the room.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:33 PM

They then played from 515am to 645am in the basement of port authority for an audience of 11 sleeping homeless people. They were also annoyed by the lack of Pinkerton.

Posted by Tony the Drummer | September 25, 2008 12:35 PM

Weezer did not play Mercury Lounge

Posted by you guys are funny, but | September 25, 2008 12:39 PM

"TGUK reunion in '09...suck on it."

i wish. but no that wont happen

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:39 PM

12:35 - was that part of the hootenanny tour?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:40 PM

Hey Matt you got yr years mixed up. That awful band Dynamite Hack opened up for Weezer in 2000. TGUK opened up in 2001 along with Ozma. TGUK stole the show in Philly since Rivers amp blew out and he had a melt down on stage. Nothing will beat when they played the Stone Pony in 2000.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:41 PM

from wikipedia

Reunion

On Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at a Reggie And The Full Effect show in San Luis Obispo, James Dewees hinted at a reunion of The Get Up Kids for the 10th Anniversary DVD of Something To Write Home About... Read More. On Thursday, August 28, 2008 at a Reggie show at "Bottom of the Hill" in San Francisco, James Dewees stated that a reunion of The Get Up Kids was on for 2009, and that they'd be coming to San Francisco. This was again reiterated on Tuesday, September 2nd at the Reggie and the Full Effect show at the Triple Rock in Minneapolis and, on Wednesday, September 3rd at the Reggie and the Full Effect show at the Chicago House of Blues.

Posted by Matt Prior | September 25, 2008 12:43 PM

Totally right, 2001...my mistake...yahoo outloud tour I believe...it was sick.

Posted by Matt Prior | September 25, 2008 12:49 PM

i was there, here are my thoughts.

1. the crowd DEFINETELY booed when the angels and airwaves guy came to sing sweater song. it was quite obvious. i felt embarrassed for the guy. the weezer frontman was saying "lets give him a big weezer hand" or something.

2. definitely did not sell out. maybe people bought the tickets but they didnt show up. it certainly wasnt empty but the house was not packed. it did "feel" like there weren't that many people given the size of the place.

3. crowd wasnt young. maybe the guys in the first row of the pit were young but past the first two rows, lots of people in early to late 30s. people dressed in work clothes coming straight from the office. in the pit, people were afraid to touch each other. added a layer of self consciousness that made atmosphere kind of lame even though everyone knew the songs and words.

4. this was my first weezer concert and first concert at MSG and both were letdowns.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:53 PM

did you not see the violent moshing during buddy holly?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:55 PM

that 2001 show at roseland sucked. not as hard as the jones beach show later that year... but was pretty bad. i remember the line to get into that roseland show was nuts.

Posted by wembley | September 25, 2008 12:56 PM

Did this gig really happen?!

Oh and Matt, you may want to spell check yr own name. It's Pryor last time I checked...

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 12:57 PM

I went, it was packed, it was fun, I like Weezer.

You didn't go, you stayed home, surfed the web,listened to Gang Gang Dance or Fleet Foxes or whatever shit you listen to.

So what?

I'M THE GREATEST MAN THAT EVER LIVED

Posted by Rivers | September 25, 2008 1:01 PM

ok, thats true, i stand corrected. during the end of buddy holly, i would say maybe 10 kids rammed into each other. i would say this lasted like 25 seconds.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 1:02 PM

who went on 1st? TPC or Angels and airwaves?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 1:09 PM

THAT'S ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FRONT ROW! Red Weezer shirt, curly hair! THAT'S AWESOME!! THANKS FOR THE PICTURE!

Posted by Eric B. | September 25, 2008 1:11 PM

what is it about weezer fan and paper football?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 1:30 PM

Show was pretty damned lame. Granted, I have not listened to the recent albums but after 'Beverly Hills', there was really no reason to continue giving their new material a chance.

Went to hear the older material and was excited when they opened with Jonas (I even gave them a break on divvying up the vocals, which is really a joke) and Pink Triangle but they quickly proved they're as old as Rivers' bald spot says they are.

I guess for kids who are just discovering the band, I'm sure it was exciting but really, why don't bands know how to bow out gracefully?

Posted by Foster | September 25, 2008 2:10 PM

Don't these people know that you DON'T wear the t-shirt of the band you're going to see? Don't be that guy. Someone's gotta school the young-ins.

Posted by Wallis | September 25, 2008 2:36 PM

I hate when people wear a band shirt when they are seeing them play that same night. EG: that douchebag in the picture above. Get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 3:05 PM

It was a fine enough show, for what it was: a decent-enough pop-rock band, playing an arena show. The band was having fun, the crowd enjoyed it... my ticket was free, otherwise never would have even considered it.

Their drummer, though, should stay behind the drums. The song he sang on (with Rivers playing mediocre drums) put me to sleep.

As for the size of the crowd, it looked like the entire upper deck was completely empty, but the lower bowl looked pretty much full, albeit a few empty seats here and there.

Posted by cj | September 25, 2008 3:24 PM

^^Fie on you! There's nothing wrong with that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 3:25 PM

WEEZER DID NOT PLAY MERCURY LOUNGE LAST NIGHT

The losers who posted above saying they went to it are lying through their teeth. They are probably the same person posting over and over. The guy who posted the craigslist ad is a douchebag who was fucking around as well.
My friends work over at Mercury and i was there last night for Lotus. The guy above who was talking about the hippies with nitrous stole that from my earlier comment. By 1:30am the place was empty and Lotus was still wheeling out their equipment. By 2am there were about 5 people including me still in the place drinking a few.
Don't you think BV would have something up on this if it really happened.
Nice try loser above. Dummy

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 3:30 PM

"morning glory" = oasis cover, sung by pat wilson who also played lead guitar with rivers on drums, definite highlight of the night, tho most people seemed not to know it was an oasis song. the upper tier of the garden was almost entirely empty. the show was decent, a little too "loose", what with all the hits and rivers hardly singing half the songs (scott, pat, and brian all traded off lead vocal duties at some point). I was expecting something a bit more professional from these guys, I just don't think they tour enough. The stage setup itself was a sad little thing, it seemed very overwhelmed amongst the majestic MSG.

Posted by milky | September 25, 2008 3:34 PM

Did you mean me anon.? What's wrong with wearing a shirt? I bought it there and had no where to put it. I would have lost it if I put it down too so there was one other option

Posted by eric b. | September 25, 2008 3:53 PM

Hey eric there is no excuse for what you did. You were "that guy". You should cry yourself to sleep tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 4:26 PM

I agree. I hope you got all yr homework done before you went to see this hopeless band. You missed out on the glory kids kid.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 4:29 PM

Hey Eric B., fuck these losers, all they do is listen to boring depressing music and hate on shit. Wear that shirt to the next concert, listen to the album on the way there, do all the shit you ain't supposed to do.
As far as everyone bitching about the good old days, fuck all y'all, go take a dirt nap already.
Red Album is fun, sort of like "Trapped in the Closet", if you don't "get it" that's your problem.

Posted by Jim | September 25, 2008 4:47 PM

im glad i went to the circa survive show last night.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 5:21 PM

Ok losers. You apparently weren't there near me. Most of the front row and a group of kids behind me and the guy next to me on the left and asian girls on my right were ALL wearing weezer shirts. They all had the red or black shirt. People on my right (beyond the camera) wore the shirt so STFU before you say I'm the only guy in all of MSG that wore a Weezer shirt.

I get it. R. Kelly.

Posted by Eric B. | September 25, 2008 5:31 PM

I had a great time at the show, but there were certainly two people that deserved to be dunked in feces multiple times, and you know who you are:

1. To the douche townie who tried to hustle me out of an extra ticket I had: Face value = Fair Price, and karma is a bitch. Shady NYC bastard! You're not the true fan you claimed to be.

2. To the dick-bag wearing a backpack about 3 rows of people back in pit center: Leave the backpack, and your ugly girlfriend, at home next time. It was really annoying to have your backpack scratching my arms while you bounced around like an idiot, not caring what kind of destruction you were causing behind you. The poor girl next to me has got to have sore boobs today because of you.

Great show, douchey "fans".

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 5:34 PM

I saw Weezer at Roseland back in 05, 06. It was my first Weezer show and after that i decided it would more then likely also be my last. Ringside opened and were one of the worst bands i've ever seen. River's looked like he could give a fuck but everyone else was pretty good. GET MATT SHARP BACK IN THIS BAND FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 6:48 PM

hahah, eric is right. A LOT of people were wearing the red weezer t-shirts. And its not the same as wearing the "shirt to the band you're going to see" because I think they all bought the shirts AT the concert (they didnt leave home with the shirts) and then wore it right away, because really, where else are you going to put the shirt.

shirts were crazy overpriced! 35 dollars each! for a regular red t shirt that says weezer on it (and nothing else. no graphics. nothing)... the price was obscene.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:27 PM

Is it just New York Weezer fans or the whole damn fandom that's this stuck up?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2008 11:53 PM

That is even worse. I thought you wore the shirt from home. You bought it then wore it at the show. God, if I were you, I would lock myself in a room. That's really pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2008 9:08 AM

Eric you got to work on your Weezer sign. It is not a fieldgoal post in paper football. It is a W!

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2008 9:30 AM

As a longtime Weezer fan who hasn't seem them play since the 90's, this show was an absolute letdown. Back then Rivers would barely say a word when they were on stage, simply delivering the songs, no bs. That actually sat better with me than the antics he pulled on stage at this show. He was obviously on something, but I mean come on. Fans are there to here him sing the songs, not the other members of the band. Instead of Rivers singing classics like El Scorcho, Brian had to take over because Rivers was too busy bouncing on a f'ing trampoline. Not to say that the other members of the band aren't talented, but people are basically there to pay to see Rivers. That show wasn't even worth $10. Even the other band members seemed to embarrassed at the way Rivers was running around. While I do enjoy some songs off the Red, Green, Maladroit, and Make Believe, but long gone are the glory days for this band. Rivers needs to get the crap kicked out of him.

Posted by anonymous | September 26, 2008 12:30 PM

i remember my first time seeing Weezer in 2002 (i believe) with Ozma and Saves the Day at Continental Arena(Izod now)...freaking amazing.

Still think one of the best shows ive seen them at was either Electric Factory in 2005 or with FooFighters at Izod later that year.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2008 3:10 PM

I had my phone in my hand so it was kinda hard. You can see it. It's the black thing. My phone was my camera and I didn't want to turn it off and risk loosing a good picture

Posted by Eric B. | September 26, 2008 4:17 PM

Rivers needs some Rogaine.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2008 11:40 AM

Well, I felt Rivers definitely mocked the crowd and his own stardom status by not singing the songs himself. In theory, the attitude is cool, in practice a little disappointing, especially for someone who has never seen them play live before.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2008 11:46 AM

Weezer are done. Their heydey ended with Pinkerton. Green was alright but a step away. Maladroit got worse but still listenable. After that, there is no point watching them play anymore.

If you wanted to see Weezer, you should have been alive for the Pinkerton tours. It's a shame if you weren't. That's when it was at it's best.

They are an imitation of themselves these days, a joke.

Posted by Steve. | January 14, 2009 2:27 AM

I can actually see myself in the crowd. NO, this was not a good show. They did not play any of their better songs.

Posted by Janice | June 28, 2009 9:57 AM