Posted in music on October 9, 2008

United Palace Theatre (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
United Palace

Beck & MGMT played their first of three NYC shows at United Palace Theatre last night (10/8). Beck's setlist is below...

Beck @ United Palace - Oct 8, 2008 set list

Lonesome Whistle
Where It's At

Encore:
Gamma Ray
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
E-Pro

Stay tuned for pictures from night two.

eep. I'm not an advocate for artist's repeating their setlists, but I'm going tomorrow and I don't think he can top this setlist. hopefully i'm wrong...

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:00 AM

I was disappointed. I mean, I paid $60 and he played maybe 80 minutes, tops. He entirely skipped the rap part of "missing" and the bridge in "lost cause," almost like he couldn't be bothered. "golden age" was gorgeous and "nicotine and gravy" worked remarkably well - better then the album version.

Last time I saw him, during the Guero tour, he was a lot better.

Posted by Lost Cause | October 9, 2008 2:06 AM

That is a pretty great setlist. I want to hear Walls but he doesn't play it all that often.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 7:31 AM

How was MGMT? Is it pronounced with the letters or "management"?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 7:32 AM

I'd give this one a 4/5 out of 10. Anyone else feel like the sound was really off? Really fuzzy and the vocals barely cut through-- never had this problem at UPT before.

I made a last minute call to go, and bought an extra for $30 off Craigs List-- if I would have paid $60 like the guy above, I'd be a bit miffed.

Just feel like it was a bit phoned in. probably understandable that given the craziness of his last two tours, this one would be more stripped down. But I just felt like the show was a bit uninspired (cue cries of "well, why don't YOU do something with your life").

Beck is a off-kilter genius-- a type that doesn't usually make a great frontman for a lean, mean rock band. The new tunes sounded ok, the old songs were hit or miss-- the new arrangements and poor sound took all the funkiness and subtlety out of the tunes. And the little Sea Change double punch towards the end felt a bit bolted on.

All in all, not a BAD show-- just not a great Beck show.

And jesus, MGMT were awful-- there are no words.

Posted by A Roach | October 9, 2008 7:54 AM

Can anyone who went last night tell us what the set times were?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:03 AM

MGMT - wish I'd gotten there late enough to miss them entirely, as the 7-8 mins of exposure to their "sound" was enough for 3 lifetimes. Needless to say I wish the bill for the night was true to form without them on it.

Beck - was my first time seeing him, so didn't know quite what to expect, but the show seemed short (with some songs being noticeably shortened) and somewhat impersonal. The sound was definitely spotty at times, but generally things came across pretty well live. 70-75 minute set, tops.

I'm just hoping that I didn't wish I went to Franz Ferdinand instead.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:07 AM

"Can anyone who went last night tell us what the set times were?"

MGMT went on around 8, Beck around 9:15.

Posted by A Roach | October 9, 2008 9:09 AM

what time did each band go on last night?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:13 AM

saw him in austin a few weeks back, im sure it was the same exact show. the acl show was average was average at best. the person above is right, the guero tour was MUCH better. that tour had the puppet show right?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:16 AM

This was my first time seeing Beck live (been a fan for over a decade). He has been the one artist that I have always managed to miss (schedule conflicts, etc) and I was so looking forward to last night. Well all i can say is that the show blew. Beck and his band dialed in a short boring performance that sounded muddled and uninspired. I think it is time to cut your hair Beck and get back to actually putting on show...not standing like a dope mumbling through your set for 80 minutes. And who wants to hear songs that used to rapped and funky now played over distorted guitars???

Posted by Ass | October 9, 2008 9:22 AM

Man...I got a last-minute ticket for tomorrow night, and I KNEW these bad reviews were going to start rolling in. Fuck.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | October 9, 2008 9:30 AM

"What's the matter with you Delaney???"

Posted by Funderburgh | October 9, 2008 9:31 AM

That was the first time I've seen him and I didn't think the sound or performance was that bad. I thought they sounded good and did some cool variations on the songs.

I think the venue sucked. It was too crowded in the main area, the main area was uncomfortable with poor sightlines and they had the house lights on for 6-7 songs after a few people started smoking trees.

If I was going to complain about anything it would be the song selection. I mean in 2008 do we need to hear "Where It's At" or "E-Pro"? Especially at the expense of "Paper Tiger" and "Earthquake Weather"??? I would have been cool with a much heavier dose of Sea Change and Modern Guilt but the corny ass crowd there was loving the Odelay stuff so maybe he was playing to them...

Beck is a weird dude. This show did nothing to dispel that... And I thought he'd play at least 20-30mins with the encore or else do a 2nd one.

Posted by BTW | October 9, 2008 9:34 AM

I'm totally fucked man!

PS - Beck rules, the show is great. All the 22 year-olds that can't preech his genius can take MGMT's penis out of their eye.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | October 9, 2008 9:41 AM

"How was MGMT? Is it pronounced with the letters or "management"?"

OMG n00b!!!!1!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:44 AM

CHEMTRAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:45 AM

I went to show having been a fan of Beck for a very long time but never having seen him live. I can say that the show was awesome and anyone going to see him (during his purportedly last tour ever) will be in for a good time. His classic songs rocked and his new stuff, though not as broken in, is prescient to the times. Golden Age was the highlight.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:50 AM

I'd hit it.

Posted by Regular reader | October 9, 2008 9:56 AM

My post on August 5th:

"Anybody attend Beck's MSG Theater shows on the Guero tour a few years ago? I was there - he seemed bored the entire time. Puppets were cool but that thrill wore off after a song or two.

If so, have you seen him since? I'm scratching my head with all these "he's solid live" type comments."

I was flamed for being a Beck "hater" just for making that point. Seems my expectations were correct.

I bought tickets anyway, then sold them out of concern that he would suck without puppets. If any of you babies calling me a hater paid up for tickets this time around, all I have to say is: HA. HA. HA. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:57 AM

Hahahah "Funderburgh"...well done.

Anyone got set times for MGMT and Beck? What time was the entire thing over by?

Posted by Drugs Delaney | October 9, 2008 10:00 AM

Who's management are we referring to? Does Beck's manager open the show? If he's so bad, that's probably why he's a manager, not a musician!?? Does anyone know how to pronounce it? Does anyone know what time the bands (and manager?) go on? How was the show? How did it compare to the Guero tour? Was it worth $60? Has anyone on this board been a fan for a long time (like a decade?) and not seen him live? What is going on? Give me info!!

Posted by N00b (Cam D) | October 9, 2008 10:03 AM

Chemtrails was the highlight. His backdrop video for that one was dope...

Posted by BTW | October 9, 2008 10:05 AM

i saw franz ferdinand and glad i did
great show
beck is great.. on mp3

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:07 AM

The show was good. All your mother's are whores.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:08 AM

All your apostrophes are bitches.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:10 AM

Who were the musicians with him? From in the balcony, she looked Japanese, though really tall and with skinny legs.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:13 AM

Franz really killed it last night. I was hesitant to go after a rough long day at work.. In the end, best decision ever!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:16 AM

Awful show all around - the sound was HORRIBLE, Beck seemed disinterested and bored. I'm very disapointed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:17 AM

shoulda gone to Franz!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:20 AM

Good Morning all,

I have to say I was disappointed by last night’s show. I love beck, and know every song. I could barely tell what the songs were half of the time. I don’t know whether he didn’t set up right for the venue, or the sound guy was out to lunch, but the sound was really bad. My favorite thing about him is his originality and how he mixes it up, but I’m pretty sure all of the mixing/scratching stuff was pre-recorded, and he didn’t even say ‘hello’ to the audience. I managed to have a good time during a few songs, but in general it was a let down. I felt like I was at def leppard in ’85, in fact, I think that was better.

Posted by GEH | October 9, 2008 10:22 AM

Franz Ferdinand? That's so 2004.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:23 AM

Had fun at the show, but would definitely recommend sitting in the Orchestra section. Balcony section wouldn't have been worth it. The vocals definitely got lost, especially during the bit where the band put on headsets. You couldn't hear Beck at all. Beck was cool as always, but there were no "surprises" or anything extra or new... The LED light thing as the stage background, everyone's done that by now. It looks cool, but it's not anything special. I wanted to see puppets or a dinner party or SOMETHING that would make this show a bit cooler than any other show. But unfortunately that didn't happen. Also, for those who don't know, there is only beer and wine at United Palace. Right before Beck went on, a couple of the stands ran out of beer (to be replenished later). Slightly annoying. MGMT was disappointing... I wouldn't go out of my way to see them again.

Posted by megan | October 9, 2008 10:24 AM

beck was loud last night man.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:27 AM

I've seen Beck 2x...once at Bonnaroo and once at Angel Oransanz. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a regular show...

MGMT vs Management. I don't know the answer to that either. I think it's less to do with being a noob and more to do with being an oldie. Who is this new band getting all this buzz? haha.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:30 AM

I know every song of Beck's and knew every song he played. It wasn't as if he was playing without an amp people. Did you see the way they set up for his show before he came on? I am sure everything was working correctly- he is on Interscope after all.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:37 AM

Agree with everything everyone's said about the sound, uninspired set, etc, so i won't rehash that...

It really seemed like we had paid to go to a dvd shoot, rather than a concert. I was in the middle of the orchestra and a lot of people had their views obstructed by cameras and equipment, and there were producers and engineers running around the aisles the whole time. How about when they turned on the house lights for about 25 minutes of the performance? That was pretty weird.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:39 AM

10:10 Thank you for correcting my grammar. I take back what I said about your mother.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:40 AM

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:40 AM

We were sitting in the Orchestra section and it did not make it a better show. The first hour of the show was played with the house lights up and spotlight was shining right on us. I was wishing I'd brought a floppy big rimmed hat. Maybe that was the point.

I've heard better sound from someone's ipod standing beside me on the subway. We sat about 6 seats from the sound guy who wasnt even there for many of the first 10 songs. Vocals were inaudible, as were the guitars, drums too loud. And the backing track they played to was the clearest thing you could hear.

I love Beck. I hadnt seen him before but I have very strong associations with some of his albums and certain times in my life. But I almost left early. 2nd half was better but that wasnt difficult. But he wasnt really the problem.

They were filming the show last night and it felt that perhaps they had made concessions to the film producers at the expense of the audience. Maybe because last night was an "extra" night they will give a shit about the fans tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM

I was there last night. Got a Orch ticket for 40$ right out front. The sound definetly was off. Hopefully he will have worked out the kinks by tonight. I lost my blackberry in the theatre. Anyone find it???

Posted by Tom | October 9, 2008 10:47 AM

I dont know what this show was like, but i really enjoyed Beck in toronto earlier this week.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:48 AM

MGMT on at 8pm
Beck supposed to be at 9pm
Didn't take stage until 9:15
Whole thing over by 10:45

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:53 AM

Franz really DID kill it last night. One of the 5 best shows I've been to this year, hands down. They played a lot of new material - said they just finished their new album. It's called "Tonight" and I can't wait till they come back to tour for it.

And yes, Anon 10:23am, FF are kinda 2004, but damn, when you can play a show like last night's, you can be from any year you want and it'll be alright by me.

Posted by Wendy | October 9, 2008 10:54 AM

"i cried on the beck/le tigre tour. lost cause seriously got my dick wet...in tears."

You are my new favorite person.

Posted by michaelways | October 9, 2008 10:54 AM

Those naysayers must been constipated. Or maybe we are all just stressed from the economic meltdown.

Hmmmmmmm....

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:54 AM

The film crew was a last minute thing arranged by the ARTIST -- Beck wanted actual film )film, not video) footage of himself playing the concert. (I asked one of the crew members). They arranged it all about 48 hours in advance.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:54 AM

OH wow!!! Can't wait for Friday night! I'm so excited now! Yay! Woo-Hoo!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:58 AM

ANYBODY GO TO GWAR LAST NIGHT?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:58 AM

$50 is a lot for a concert. Especially for one by an artist who is a scientologist. Did you note all the funky imagery on the LCD screen? Strangely, this morning I awoke without the usual hostility for the belief that we are all in an intergalactic fight with space aliens.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:00 AM

How much were tix selling for outside the venue last night???

Posted by Cheap Bastard | October 9, 2008 11:03 AM

"How much were tix selling for outside the venue last night???"

You can probably get tickets on CL or outside for $30-40. May be a little tougher tonight and tomm, since the shows are closer to the weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:08 AM

"Franz really DID kill it last night. One of the 5 best shows I've been to this year, hands down."

what are your top 5 shows of 2008?????

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:13 AM

I went to the show last night with and extremly open mind. I felt that the actual music was good but the sound quality was awful. There was a ton of feedback and the show sounded like it was in a room made of tin. I was a little surprised that he only played for an hour and 20 mins. I was figuring at least an hour and 45. I thought the setlist was great and the sound could have been great. So there is still potential for N2 & N3.

The venue is beautiful on the inside too.

Posted by anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:18 AM

1. Coldplay
2. GWAR
3. Phil Collins
4. Donkey Boner
5. Jeff Buckley

Posted by Top 5 | October 9, 2008 11:21 AM

My top 5 shows, in no particular order:

1) Madonna Sticky Sweet Tour 2008 (was that Obama on the screen next to Jesus or was it Bill Cosby. I couldn't tell.)

2) Lena Horne's corpse at the Free Mason's Temple in Brooklyn

3) Bill Cosby at the Borgata

4) Simply Red at Terminal 5

5) Kanye anywhere.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:22 AM

MGMT were absolutely awful. Do yourself a huge favor and get there at 9 (or just go take a look at the architecture and have a beer)

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:28 AM

"I lost my blackberry in the theatre. Anyone find it???"

--------------------

Sent via Tom's Blackberry at 11:56am EST

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:32 AM

Scientologists don't like to perform live.

Acccording to L. Ron Hubbard, performers and artists classified as Thetan Level Fives should not aim to entertain mortals and non-believers. Beck Hanson is a Level Five Thetan.

Did you see the "Free Stress Test" table with Dianetics books in the lobby?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:34 AM

Damn Tom. The video on your berry titled "Room Service" is really disappointing. You either need better lighting or that Swedeish cure my spam folder is heating up with. One of the two. Better sound quality to, a must.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:37 AM

Franz Ferdinand? That's so 2004.
^^
Your so 2004...f*cking dipster...

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 12:11 PM

As a big Beck fan I never got to see him on his famous Midnight or Odelay tours. It's a shame, because last night was my second Beck show and I feel a refund is in order. The sound board sucked......I thought the rhythem section was absolutely awful (compared to the Guero double bass and drum section). The only enjoyment....besides "Where it's at", "Nicotine & Gravy", Devil's Hair Cut & Golden Age.....was that ripping babe of a guitar player. Though the sound board couldn't mix a strawberry smoothy if their jobs depended on it...this black haired shredder really tore it up.

In addition, the set was only 80 minutes long! For over $50 bucks!!?? I thought it was a cheat and a big let down from one of my personal favorite artists. Save your money...I bootlegged the show.

Posted by Elliot | October 9, 2008 12:19 PM

I saw him in 1997 on the Odelay tour, I think. Really great show. He had tons of energy, played a great set. Dancing, blah blah blah.

Only drawback of that show was the Cardigans opening.

Posted by wembley | October 9, 2008 12:26 PM

Franz Ferdinand? That's so 2004.
^^
Your so 2004...f*cking dipster...
^^
Your so 2004...f*cking blipster...

Posted by Uncle Tom | October 9, 2008 12:29 PM

1. Beck was sleepy.

2. Sound was OK, just OK. A lot of reworkings of old material, which made plenty of familiar tunes sound a little off. I love that he cares enough to change old material for a new tour, but it was hit-or-miss. No breakdown in Nicotine & Gravy!

3. Crowd was kinda half-assed, what with all the uptight former frat boys and the serious lack of motion. But that was nothing compared to the HOUSE LIGHTS. Seriously, what the fuck? Killed the mood, killed the dancing (what little there was). Hard to imagine a worse party foul.

Not great, not bad -- glad the setlist was awesome, or I'd have left disappointed. As it is, I left pleased, but wanting more.

P.S. Malecon (across the street) is the shit! Go there to defeat the munchies.

Posted by Jimmy Jazz | October 9, 2008 12:51 PM

Wonder if any of the filming they were doing was compromised when they turned on the house lights for 30min during the set.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 12:53 PM

"Scientologists don't like to perform live.

Did you see the 'Free Stress Test' table with Dianetics books in the lobby?"

I got no love for Scientology, and no objections to criticism of it. But the above post is bullshit.

Posted by silvie | October 9, 2008 12:54 PM

Can anyone recommend places to eat / drink in the neighborhood of 175th & Broadway? First time at United tonight.

Posted by Shot in the dick | October 9, 2008 1:00 PM

I saw the Sea Change tour with the Flaming Lips as the backing band and it was so great.

Thats the only time I've seen Beck and after reading these comments I dont think i want to see him again now. Even with the fact that Dashboard Confessional opened in 2003...its still better than MGMT.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:11 PM

Everyone here is a hater.

They are mad because Beck got floor seats at the Lakers. See Beck on the 50-yard line with the Raiders. Beck met Ali he told Beck he was the greatest.

Posted by Will 2K | October 9, 2008 1:17 PM

I saw Beck on his very first tour when he opened for the Scream and Shouts in 1989. Thats how cool I am. Plus the opening band was the Rolling Stones and John Lennon was on double bass. Phil Collins was the only drawback.

The sound back then was awesome. They had record players, don't you know.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:22 PM

Have seen Beck on every tour since Mellow Gold. Midnite Vultures was his pinnacle, touring wise. Incredible showmanship! Been a steady decline since then.

Read the recent Spin article, he is clearly tired of playign live lately. He even says somethign to the effect of "this might be my last tour". Bummer, but probably for the best. I'm going tomorrow but my hopes arent terribly high for this one. Nowadays his best shows are the surprise ones in little places, like the church show they did during the Information tour.. that was awesome. Wondering if theyre planning somethign like that for this weekend?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:26 PM

have all of beck's setlists been the same this tour?
i'd fucking love to hear jackass or readymade again.
hope friday than last nights show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:28 PM

i'm going tonight and i have to say that you all have me sooo psyched to be smoking my trees with the house lights up when there's no beer or red wine (classy) left to drink.

damn i hope he opens and closes with loser!!

Posted by Upper MGMT | October 9, 2008 1:30 PM

@ shot in the dick: Malecon! I dun tole you already. the arroz con pollo could feed 6 crack heads for a week.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 1:38 PM

"Also, for those who don't know, there is only beer and wine at United Palace."

Don't forget the $8 Red Bulls! (I shit you not)

Posted by Funderburgh | October 9, 2008 1:52 PM

How much are beerskes? And guess who stink fingered Bunny Cote?

Posted by Mousy | October 9, 2008 1:59 PM

who the hell drinks red bull at a concert??? it's not a B&T dance club.

what's wrong with you kids?

xanies, valies, vikes, weed, some whiskey in a flask; get loose and laid back, not full of sugar & caffeine bouncin' off the damn walls like a 10 yr. old jacked up on Smarties.

Posted by oh my damn! | October 9, 2008 2:08 PM

Please. Don't mess around with these childish pills and drugs.

Speedballs directly to the heart or nothing.

Posted by Speedballs or bust | October 9, 2008 2:13 PM

"xanies, valies, vikes, weed, some whiskey in a flask"

Isn't that a Queens of the Stone Age song?

I drink red bull mixed with decaff. A little bit of soy milk. And voila.

Quick Poll:

How many people here are vegetarian or vegan?

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:18 PM

Beck absolutely sucked ass last night. Boring and the sound was horrendous. I see a show at least once a week and this was probably one of the worst shows I have seen all year. He did not connect with the audience AT ALL!

Cut that hair Beck!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:22 PM

Thoughts on last night's show: It was kind of cool and interesting when he bantered between songs.
He did the usual "How ya doing tonight New York!" - type stuff. But he also dedicated "Think I'm in Love" to Tom Cruise and his love of Scientology. Then towards the end he shouted "To all my Thetan brahs!" right before launching into an awesome "Where It's At."

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:25 PM

Did you see the light beam emanate from his third eye? It was killer.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:33 PM

There was a very young hipster couple in front of us last night and about 10 minutes before the show started they took out a big carton of Tropicana and started downing it. And I mean a proper huge 64 oz carton. At first I just thought they must be healthy – that stuff is very refreshing. But as soon as Beck came on they went nuts. And I mean nuts. Jumping on the chairs, fist pumping, overhead clapping, making out, all at the same time. Even during the slow acoustic Seachange songs. They pissed off everyone around them but it was pretty funny.

What I want to know is a) how do you smuggle a 64oz carton of OJ into a show?; and b) what was in there? It had to be something more potent that vodka. I want some.

Actually after a while the male hipster got told to stop standing on the seats and so he sat down on his chair with his arms folded and sulked for half the show. Sadly, watching them was the highlight of my evening.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:41 PM

Inside the tropicana carton was heroin and crack, mixed. And a lot of pulp.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:55 PM

WILL BERMAN played with beck last night...oh wait he really did play with beck last night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 3:03 PM

anyone know if they allow cameras inside of UPT?
i never use FLASH, but hope to get my 35 mm in the door.

Posted by kodak | October 9, 2008 3:26 PM

To answer your OJ Question, let us refer to the lyrics of Three Six Mafia - Sippin on Syrup:

"If we gon' get high we gon' get high, and we gon' house a bitch.
Two niggas all at the mouth, two niggas all at the ass.
And plus there's some type of nigga,
Dick hard all night and she cool with that.
She popped her a pill of X, and drank on some orange juice.
And just when you thought she was freakin' she done got super loose.
Niggas come in by threes and deuces all in circles like duck-duck-goose.
All that want it can bone it, she on that X and that tootie fruit."

I guess they were on that pill of X and drank them some orange juice. Rollin' baby.

Posted by Answer Man | October 9, 2008 3:26 PM

"Hydr0c0d0ne on the hands-free phone,
the '84 roam on them blades, twenty inch chrome.
If you got sixteen,
you can get a fizz-urp,
I'm chokin' on that doja, sweet
and sippin' on tha sizz-urp..."

Posted by PIMPHIS | October 9, 2008 3:42 PM

I love Beck and the sound sucked. Like someone else commented, I also thought it sounded like an ipod in the subway. I could understand having an off night but not getting the sound right is just plain sad. The vocals for the first 10 songs were barely audible. Then only slightly better. In these tough times I wished I saved my 120 bucks (2 ticket)s.

the hair is not cool but I'm okay that he's willing to experiment. Some things don't always work. But the with the big hat it looked like he was in disguise.

Posted by seven | October 9, 2008 4:52 PM

From where we were the sound was fine - Beck and his band were another story: uninspired. After seeing Nick Cave the night before in Philly this show was a major let down. Beck in the past has always been a blast. What happened? Lousy band unlike the last time I saw him at Hammerstein where they were awesome. MGMT - can you say way overhyped? Weak show all around.

PS: Beck looks like an idiot!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 9:28 PM

^^^^ he was sitting next to a giant speaker.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 10:00 PM

2nd night almost identical setlist. No Lonsome Wistle but Clap hands in the Black Tamborine/Hell Yes Medley! BECK PLEASE MIX IT UP!

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:19 PM

i found your blackberry!

call me.. u know the number..

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:23 PM

how strict are they with tickets and seat assignments at palace? i grabbed two separate tics on CL

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 11:43 PM

you drink lots of oj when you are on e i think

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:00 AM

Most of you people should really just stay home. Tonight was my 19th Beck show (last night was #18). Both shows was great. Sound may not have always been totally on, but the performance killed. Would have liked a longer performance and some more obscure stuff, but no real complaints.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:05 AM

19th Beck show?

How's your Beck Hansen hairdoll coming along?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:11 AM

I went tonight too. I thought it was a good show. This is my second time seeing him. I actually thought he looked a little under the weather though.

Posted by anonymous | October 10, 2008 12:12 AM

much much better show tonight than last, on both Beck and MGMT's parts.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:09 AM

same setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 1:27 AM

setlist or it didnt happen.

Posted by v | October 10, 2008 7:34 AM

You forgot the segue into like 20 seconds of Clap Hands at the end of Black Tambourine- C'MON GET WITH THE PROGRAM!
Good show but my god did it seem rushed.

Posted by JonnyJ | October 10, 2008 8:27 AM

Mentioned Clap Hands in my 11:19 post.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 8:50 AM

I've seen Beck a couple of times and I kind of had low expectations because the last two albums weren't my favorites - but oh my I thought he did an awesome job. Yeah perhaps a little rushed upfront like a medley, but you were pleased to hear all those songs. The bit with headphones? incredible. a real intimate moment. He's not a chatty chap but who always needs that? MGMT were utterly irrelevant.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 9:15 AM

First 45 mins streamlined out most of the textures under a very heavy bottom, but emotionally it was pretty decent. Incredible drummer. But then the acoustic stuff felt totally out of place and basically got swept under the rug. Few more tunes and he was out. Ten more minutes of acoustic and another half hour overall and it would've worked fine. Bit of a ripoff without.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 9:35 AM

I went on Wednesday night and I just have to say I was extremely dissapointed that the house lights were on the almost what seemed like the first half of the concert....It was a total downer not being able to enjoy the lighting that they had. Also, the sound quality was almost terrible. There were times when I had no idea what song was playing unless I strained to hear the lyrics. The highlight of the night was Lost Cause and Black Tambourine....I could actually hear them. But mostly upset about the lights

Posted by Jenny B | October 10, 2008 10:29 AM

Mike D in the house, whatcha gonna do? I GO AWOL! Yes, I was at Thu 10/09 show, and so was Mike D. I was in aisle seat around 10th row from stage. His Beastie-ness was 1 row in front of me, 4 seats in. He didn't seem to be with any celebrities or musicians, although I was wondering if the guy right next to him was Harmony Korine (probably not).

Set list: I'm 85 percent sure it was same as Wed, but I don't know Beck's catalog well enough to confirm. Def opened w/ Loser and closed with E-Pro.

Posted by CCHpounda | October 10, 2008 10:47 AM

I went to the 10/8 show. As a fan of Beck for all time, I felt more than "dissapointed" could describe.

I think the major problem of the off-tuned sounds was on his band members. The guitarist and the bassist couldn't play and sing the songs right. They obvious were not the ones recorded on his albums. When there were only Beck, DJ and the drummer playing on the stage, the music sounded perfect.

Besides, most of Beck's songs don't go well with distorted guitar. The way the guitarist played seriously hurt my ears (was at the fourth row of orchestra). I'm confused why the band set up like this. The last Beck's show I saw at Hammerstein Ballroom in 2005 was absolutely much better.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2008 11:46 AM

Beck's friday night show (oct 10) was excellent.

Posted by kodak | October 12, 2008 7:21 PM