Posted in music | pictures on October 28, 2008

words & photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Broken Social Scene

Arguably one of the biggest CMJ shows this year was Friday night's Broken Social Scene gig at Brooklyn Masonic Temple (10/24). Ironically, they probably allowed the least amount of badges in (I heard 45, to be exact). Moreover it was pretty much the only CMJ show to have only two artists on the bill - not your typical 40 minute sets. That's because really it was just the NYC stop on a much larger tour that happened to be in Brooklyn at the time of CMJ. For that I am thankful.

The show was amazing. After a fantastic opening set by Liz Powell and Land of Talk, Kevin Drew & co. took the stage. The band varied between 3 and 11 members, and featured a more retrospective setlist than expected. With the release of two so-so solo-ish albums in the past year and a half, it was good to hear the band head back to their roots. Liz joined the band numerous times (as did Metric's Josh Winstead) as they played nearly all of "You Forgot It In People." The 2 hour, 45 minute set was highlighted by "Ibi Dreams of Pavement (A Better Day)" and the finale of "Lover's Spit." The show did lose momentum from time to time - during Charles Spearin's "Happiness Project," for instance (which was beautiful, by the way) - but overall it built perfectly and really hit the spot.

Throughout the night Kevin kept commenting that this was the last time they'd play these songs in New York for a long time - they've played here numerous times in the past year - though next summer he promised a big 3 hour show where they play all their stuff with special guests. Should be epic.

More pictures and the setlist below...

Land of Talk...

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Land of Talk

Broken Social Scene...

Broken Social Scene

Apostle of Hustle also played "National Anthem of Nowhere" somewhere in there...

Broken Social Scene

amazing show. amazing photos.

how'd you get so close, kyle?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:10 PM

i think the last song was it's all gonna break (not on the setlist).

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:13 PM

[oops... i see it is on the setlist; looks like they reversed the order]

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:13 PM

would have been better if kevin drew wasn't wearing that bobo ass vest.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:19 PM

it was the best BSS show i've seen so far.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:23 PM

Good show but faaaar too long. Too much of the banter between songs.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:24 PM

Did Jason Collet officially leave the secene? I can't remember the last show he played with them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:29 PM

who is drumming with Land of Talk? that doesnt look like andrew barr.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:40 PM

i was pretty much next to kyle throughout the show ... dude wasn't that close, about fourth row or so.

as others've said, awesome show. and to the superfoxy girl in the blue tank top with the short hair who was standing next to me through bss' set: how'd you like some of my lover's spit?

Posted by not kyle | October 28, 2008 4:06 PM

are you kidding? criticizing capos? shut the fuck up you pretentious dick, its something you use on the guitar. i hate people like you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:13 PM

Land of Talk was awesome!!!

BSS was great, but I had to leave after two hours. I remember the first time I saw them, another epic show at the Bowery during the holidays, that I could totally see them becoming the new Dead. Today, five or six BSS shows later, I realize that deadheads were on lots of drugs which helped get through marathon sets like these. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Anyhow, great crowd energy was a plus after several lackluster Masonic shows in recent weeks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:17 PM

that setlist is all screwed up.

to echo previous sentiments, really great show. i'm not sure that the happiness project is very well suited to a room that size during the middle of a rock show (thought it was cool at mercury), but i can hardly quibble with their playing or song selections otherwise.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:23 PM

"Promised" re: the summer '09 retrospective show is reaching. I'd describe his pitch as the state of that show being tentative and something they hope to do.

Here's hoping. Killer show. The therapeutic scream at Ibi's crescendo was the best therapeutic scream... since Siren Fest.

Posted by Tito | October 28, 2008 4:31 PM

this act is one note--that they've been milking for 5+ years

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:37 PM

it's pretty much impossible to top the scream at siren fest. seriously. proof:

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:40 PM

"CAPOs are the sign of a lazy (and usually lame) guitar player... they are the Micro-Korgs of the guitar realm. Children grow up!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 3:40 PM "

you clearly have never seen/heard lizzie play, shes anything but lazy or lame, one of the most interesting and unique players out there right now

Posted by blah | October 28, 2008 4:54 PM

this show was euphoric

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:24 PM

Does anyone have the actual set list?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 7:35 PM

wait...that doesn't look like Chris McCarron playing bass for land of talk. WTF happened to the line up?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 9:44 PM

I'm pretty sure the new LoT album isn't very good...but maybe I'll change my mind!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 9:55 PM

Spirit If was great. Can't really lump that in with Caning's disk (which legitimately was a so-so soloish album).

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 11:26 PM

Drummer for Land Of Talk: Stef Schneider, of Bell Orchestre and The Luyas

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 11:30 PM

They did play a three hour (maybe longer) show in Richmond a week and a half ago. I've seen them a bunch of times and this was the best by far. I don't have the setlist, but they played at least another 4 songs after the traditional All Gonna Break ending. The crowd just wouldn't let them leave. It was exhaustingly amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 9:00 AM

how was the sound? i was going to go but after barely being able to hear TVoTR the week before i got rid of my tickets. stupid move in hindsight.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 9:22 AM

The sounds was much better this time than at the other Jelly shows there. LOT sounded a bit muddy, but BSS sounded great throughout.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 10:09 AM

I thought it sounded decent. Nothing like a show at the Bowery or anything, but pretty good. It's great not to have to go to Williamsburg or Manhattan to see a show. I can walk three blocks to see shows there! Fort Greene rules!

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 10:14 AM

There was a rumor that BSS was supposed to play a secret show at the Bell House after finishing up at the Masonic Temple late Fri. night/early Sat. morning... does anyone know if this actually happened? And if so, can you share some details? I need to live vicariously through you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 10:43 AM

hey not kyle i'm superfoxy. definitely didn't think i was cool enough to be mentioned here.

oh and i danced, i wasn't standing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 11:20 AM

actually the new LoT lp is amazing. it has the same quality of their first ep which is me not being able to listen to anything else for about 4 months. wish i could have made this show, was afraid my badge wasn't going to get me in.. nice pics, thanks!! does anyone know if lizzie was doing emily's and feist's parts?? oh why did i miss this one :(

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 11:37 AM

Great shows by both bands. Sound average, I wore earplugs most of the time. A lot of saturation with BSS, whiwh is not very surprising when you have 3 or 4 guitars + horns playing together…
After the show, a few people including me went to a nearly bar for some drinks with most members of the band. It was great to see them, Brendan, Kevin, Charles, Andrew (back on board)…
What a great night !

Posted by Vincent A. | October 29, 2008 11:37 AM

cant wait till this summer

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 12:45 PM

I really enjoyed this BSS show - great setlist, powerful energy from the band and the fans, and pretty good sound for that room.

My one issue is about the aforementioned banter. Kevin really kept on about how they've been playing these songs for four years and how neither the band or the audience will soon not have to suffer through these songs anymore.

If it kills them so much to play them, why did they? There's plenty of songs from the 2 new "solo" projects as well as tracks from the older releases to fill a show with a sprinkling of the more beloved tunes.

Don't get me wrong - I was pumped to hear the songs that made up the night, I just wish each wasn't prefaced with "Ok - Here we go again on this old dinosaur. Sorry"

Thoughts? Reflections?

Posted by lipdawg | October 29, 2008 12:47 PM

5th time I've seen them over the last few years. Kevin Drew was sharing his displeasure with playing the hits when I saw them at prospect park a year + ago. At one point they started to play KC Accidental and started to sing something to the effect of "they weren't gonna play this song" and went into another song.

I admire the fact that they played such along set, but at the same time they didn't have nearly the energy or enthusiasm as the Webster hall show a few years back. A) they had their parents in the audience B) they were playing with more of their original line up – Amy Milan and Emily Haines took part. That show was truly AMAZING. It kind of feels like they are just going through the motions. I do think having the talented Liz Powell singing with them was a good motivating spark.

Posted by adam curry | October 29, 2008 1:24 PM

Great show. I agree that they seemed tired of playing the same old songs, but they played for three hours so that kind of made up for it. The songs from You Forgot Us in People are really their bread and butter, and it was nice that the crowd was so into it.

The fast version of "Major Label Debut" was a real highlight. I remember they played it in Central Park with Feist and Jason Collett a couple years ago--BSS didn't even play that show but enough members were there to make it work as an encore.

Kevin said some pretty retarded stuff throughout. What was with his "jokes" toward the end that certain members were quitting the band? Not funny! I don't think his bandmates appreciated it either.

Posted by PJ | October 29, 2008 2:01 PM

That Webster Hall show was my only other BSS show, so in comparing the two I guess I preffered the WH gig where they seemed to enjoy the songs more.

Having Amy Milan & Emily Haines there didn't hurt either!

Posted by lipdawg | October 29, 2008 2:51 PM

When is this show gonna happen??

Posted by Pedro | June 7, 2009 9:47 PM