Posted in music | pictures on October 2, 2008

photos by Zach Dilgard

Echo & The Bunnymen

"Ocean Rain" yielded the alt-radio staples "Silver," and "The Killing Moon," but it also was the band's most cohesive album, with a watery, deep-blue feeling on every track.

Moody and opulent, the music of Echo & the Bunnymen made its way into American dance clubs and onto college radio stations. From 1978 to 1989, McCulloch's melancholy vocals and Will Sergeant's bright, chiming guitar were ably backed by bassist Les Pattinson and drummer Pete De Freitas. The band did not enjoy the commercial success of U2 or The Cure, but Echo & the Bunnymen influenced many other bands, in scenes such as Manchester in the '90s.

De Freitas died in a motorcycle crash in 1989. The band broke up, McCulloch went solo; the band continued without him, then Mac came back.

Echo & the Bunnymen decided to perform "Ocean Rain" in concert as a way to reflect on the band's early days. The band played an acclaimed show at Royal Albert Hall in 1983, so McCulloch was happy to return. [APP]

Echo & The Bunnymen played Radio City Music Hall in NYC last night (October 1) . They performed two sets, one of which was "Ocean Rain" in its entirety, with full orchestra.

Despite visa issues, Glasvegas ended up making it to our country on time to play their opening set. They play another NYC show on Wednesday for which tickets just went back on sale.

Bill thought "bunnymen at radio city was a Wow, especially 'Ocean Rain' itself. Worth it.". Anonymous agreed that, "Echo were awesome", but said "Glasvegas weren't. Their drummer was terrible and the signer didn't seemed like he cared." Another anonymous said, "first set at Echo was spotty at best.. The Cutter, Back of Love were highlights but People are Strange and that awful new song felt out of place. The Ocean Rain set was REALLY fantastic.. and the pictures of the band at their peak was a nice touch... At sea again...."

More pictures from last night below...

Glasvegas...

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Glasvegas

Echo & The Bunnymen...

FINALLY! THANK YOU!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:28 AM

Setlist corrections anyone?

Here is my guess. First set is probably off on order and missing a few

Lips Like Sugar
Thorn of Crowns
The Killing Moon
Seven Seas
My Kingdom
Ocean Rain

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:35 AM

"first set at Echo was spotty at best.. "

this anon guy you quote has no idea what he is talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:41 AM

I was pretty sad to see Ian take a bow to reveal a huge bald spot on his head..Ocean Rain with an orchestra was pretty amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:43 AM

Is he an expert on eatb - what EATB shows has he attended to compare with?

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:44 AM

anon 1141, you obviously went to this concert for the wrong reasons.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:47 AM

What's sad about a bald spot? Time waits for no one.

Wished I could have seen this show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:50 AM

Echo and the Bunnymen were great and professional, but Glasvegas were great and fresh. I would definitely agree with people who say Glasvegas is the best band out of the UK right now. So refreshing yet with doo wop as a foundation. Good stuff!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:52 AM

"walk on the wild side" turned into "midnight hour" at the end, i think. loved other parts of both sets ("silver" in particular was fantastic with the orchestra), but that covers medley was dreadful.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:53 AM

Spare us the cutter.

And bald spots.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:56 AM

I enjoyed both sets. Would have loved Never with the strings! That would have been awesome! Sound improved as the show went on. I was on the far side though so it wasn't as crisp. Still wonderful show though!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:57 AM

anon 1141, you obviously went to this concert for the wrong reasons.

I am 11:41. Can you please tell me the right reason I needed to attend this show??

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:58 AM

Im sorry I meant Never Stop with strings!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 11:59 AM

anon 1141

Do I really need to explain? For music not hair!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:02 PM

sorry wrong anon

this was for anon 1143, my apologies

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:03 PM

maybe you should learn to read #'s better =

I am 11:41 and in my post never made a mention of hair.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:05 PM

What was the deal with the babyboomers talking through the first set? At the back of the orchestra, during the first set, we could barely hear the music over the din of chatter. It seemed to be coming from the 40+ set. It was really annoying. Does Radio City turn into Yankees Stadium for concerts like this?

When Killing Moon started, about 30 phones went up in the air to record it.

Posted by Anonymal | October 2, 2008 12:06 PM

What did everybody think of Glasvegas?

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:12 PM

Echo & The Bunnymen were very good. I have seen them many times before and they hardly ever disappoint. Ocean Rain with orchestra was a treat. That said Glasvegas was the highlight of the evening for me. Anyone expecting an incredible live band might be disappointed. They are just starting out, give them time. I remember early Radiohead performances where a lot of people had claimed they were a joke. Glasvegas write brilliant songs. If you're familiar with their songs and go to their show, you will love them. If they keep writing songs like these and keep on performing, they can become a great live band along the way too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:13 PM

I totally agree with 12:13 about Glasvegas. I didn't know anything about them going in and left dying to hear more. They reminded me a bit of The Sheila Divine.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:20 PM

I was not impressed with Glasvegas. The drummer was awful and the singer needs to work on his stage persona.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:22 PM

I totally agree with 12:13 also. Glasvegas has a unique sound that will cary them a long way with time. Refreshing to say the least. Too bad Mercury Loundge is sold out!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:25 PM

Could Glasvegas be going for that velvet underground drum sound?

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:27 PM

should i be listening to this band? dont know much about them

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:32 PM

anon 11:35-
Lips Like Sugar
Rescue
Bring on the Dancing Horses
I Think I Need It Too (new song)
All That Jazz
Back of Love
All My Colours (Zimbo)
People Are Strange
Nothing Lasts Forever
Walk on the Wild Side
In the Midnight Hour
The Cutter
--------------------
Ocean Rain album

I thought EATB were good, not great, especially if this was billed as a truly special performance. Peformance of Ocean Rain better than 1st set. Ian McCulloch often mumbly & incoherent when he spoke to audience + he messed up People Are Strange.

Posted by dave | October 2, 2008 12:35 PM

anon 12:06-
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed this. One of the oldest crowds I've seen at a show, ever. It was amusing when the older set near me gave Scottish-accented shout outs to Glasgow during Glasvegas, but the woman who chattered excitedly to her friend on her cell phone in between sets about how EATB played all her favorite songs during the 1st set, but said she was completely unfamiliar with Ocean Rain, then during The Killing Moon, screamed, "This is my favorite song ever!" was just too much.

Posted by dave | October 2, 2008 12:42 PM

Thanks for the corrected setlist 12:35!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:58 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 12:59 PM

Set list is missing The Disease and All My Colours.

Posted by Paul | October 2, 2008 1:03 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 1:07 PM

Show kicked ass all around. Forget cell phones; I used my Sony CyberShot from the second mezz. Not too bad. Got a couple of Glasvegas tracks too; liked them a lot.

Posted by Laura in NJ | October 2, 2008 1:15 PM

on a ten point scale, i'd say...

1st set - 7.0
2nd set - 9.5

i've got six songs from the Ocean Rain set posted as MP3s here:

Posted by EF Matt | October 2, 2008 1:28 PM

Ian McCulloch got FAT! I saw them in August '06 and he looked fabulous then! What happened?

Posted by Nikki | October 2, 2008 1:51 PM

I knew nothing about Glasvegas but enjoyed them in the context of an opening act. They seemed pretty solid; however, a lot of their songs sounded similar to me (again, this was very first listen). My wife was taken with their set so we wil probably download their latest and give it a listen.

I loved the whole EATB show. The first set was a little looser in the bad sense (less tight). Also, I didn't love their set list. Obviously lots of great songs. But with the exception of Nothing Lasts Forever they ignored their remarkable (IMHO) recordings of the past decade. Given the time period in which their popularity lies, this is understandable, but still a disappoint to me as I love all of their albums since Evergreen.

Ocean Rain was fantastic. The orchestra sounded great and Will really kicked butt. Ian sounded much better in the second set and was fantatsic on the concluding track.

Radio City was just an awesome venue for this show.

At 41 I didn't even feel particularly old in this crowd. The audience was even older than Crowded House at the Beacon last year. I didn't think that was possible. In the first row (AAA) there was a 60+ year old guy who was totaly rocking out and swaying back and forth the whole show. He was either the biggest (and oldest) EATB fan or had taken way too much E. Either way nice to see people having a good time.

Posted by Colgin | October 2, 2008 1:59 PM

magical. everything I wanted it to be. I am still getting chills from "My Kingdom" and when Mac hit the high note at the end of "Ocean Rain"...THAT was a great night! Our inspiration.

Posted by screaming for emily | October 2, 2008 2:00 PM

1:59 I saw that old guy from a few rows back! He was really rocking like crazy! Good for him! Fun to watch!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:07 PM

Best show of 2008?

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:18 PM

One of the best! I thought REM's shows were great too!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:35 PM

"All My Colours (Zimbo)" was incredible, the high point of the night.

The vamps were typical for a Bunnymen show--"Walk on the Wild Side" into the Beatles' "Don't Let Me Down," into "In The Midnight Hour"... Mac's voice was unbelievably strong, much stronger than it was at their last NYC shows a couple yrs ago. The first set was so great, it's like Ocean Rain was merely dessert.

I know nothing about Glasvegas but they were great.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:39 PM

We were in the front of the first mezzanine. Maybe it was just the acoustics, but when Ian spoke, I had absolutely no idea what he was saying. It became a joke by the end of the show, but if he had done spoken word, I would have been lost.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:48 PM

that guy was amazing!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 2:56 PM

We were watching the dancing guy from the first row mezz...he was definitely entertaining!

We had an odd array of people around us. Generally, people in their late 30s, early 40s. But the row in front of us, there were two odd guys and their dates. At least, they seemed like dates at first. By the end of the night, we were pretty certain that they were prostitutes. Very odd, indeed!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 3:01 PM

Sorry...last post is mine.

MEANT to say, we were watching the dancing guy from the first mezzanine...a bunch of rows back!

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 3:14 PM

"All My Colous is in there 1:03 but it is missing the disease. You know when it was played?"

Not exactly, but it was sometime after the new song and before All My Colours.

Posted by paul | October 2, 2008 4:26 PM

What better way to start October than with EATB in NYC? It was an Awesome, phantasmagoric show. All That Jazz, Lips Like Sugar and some others actually sounded better than the studio versions.

Ian's stage patter was amusing too;

"Is Billy Crystal in the audience?"

(Getting the audience to sing along to "Walk On The Wild Side) "This is a New York song. So sing the fookin' do-do-do's!"

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 4:28 PM

I was sitting towards the back, and I have to agree with some of the earlier comments -- no one would shut up! For an older crowd they should have known better.

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2008 4:36 PM

i must say that this performance was immaculate. stunning. glorius. the 'improv extensions' in the first set were just like 83.

ian's voice is almost back to it's former glory.... i must say in the latter years his live voice was really suffering....leaning towards a real nasal twang and skipping out on the higher octaves. my gf and i suspected that ian's somber first set was just him saving his range for the entire performance.

the view from the third balcony was great, but 50% of the time those fookin' spot lights were on us.... it was like being a deer in headlights.

so an A++ for the band, and an F-- for the lighting crew.

Posted by fuzzymuffins | October 2, 2008 5:07 PM

I've seen every tour of this band since Heaven Up Here. This was the best show they've done since re-forming, far and away.

I thought the first set was fucking great. It was already the concert of the year, before they even go to Ocean Rain. The crowd went totally apeshit... but even when they sat down, they were still completely on the same wavelength with the band.

The groove coming off that stage was massive. RHMH is the best hall for their sound, which is so big, it needs a hall like that. Consider how surprisingly good some of those YouTube clips sound. That'll give you some idea -- if it sounds that good with a ratty camdcorder mic, imagine how it was to be there...

The balance between the strings and the band was perfect. It was a classic show.

One for the ages.

Posted by Frank | October 2, 2008 5:47 PM

thank

Posted by chat | October 5, 2008 4:17 PM

After their last few disappointing tours, this was a breath of fresh air. When Ian actually hit the high notes at the end of Ocean Rain, everything came together perfectly. That one song was the finest thing I've ever seen them do in some 20 gigs. Brought tears to my eye.

Posted by Rick | October 20, 2008 12:50 AM