Posted in music | pictures on October 13, 2008

Photos by Tim Griffin

Killing Joke

Finally, after numerous line-up changes through the years, all original Killing Joke members reunited for a new album and world tour.

Drummer, Paul Ferguson, rejoined the line up for the first time since 1987 enabling a whole new generation of fans to see Killing Joke's legendary original formation. Diehard fans have been waiting for this moment for two decades!

Bassist, Martin 'Youth' Glover also steps back into the live arena after a near 15 hiatus, having not played live with Killing Joke since 1994's Pandemonium tour.

The tour SAW Killing Joke take up a two night residency [at Irving Plaza in NYC] offering a different set on each evening. On the first night, they played their first two albums in their entirety, 1980's self-titled album followed by the album 'What's This...For!'. Their
second performance [Sunday, October 12th in NYC] in each city [treated] fans to 1994's Pandemonium and the Island Records singles of'79 to '80.

Does anyone have the complete selist for each show? More pictures from night one (Saturday, October 11th) below...

opener Ascention of Watchers...

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Ascention of Watchers

Killing Joke...

Killing Joke

Killing Joke's last show of the tour will be October 14th at House of Blues in Chicago.

I don't have the full setlist, but the Sunday show was one of the best concerts I've seen this year. I don't know how Jaz Coleman maintains his voice live, but it was stunning to hear him unwavering on those tracks. From what I recall, they played "Wardance", "Money Is Not Our God", "Asteroid", "The Wait", "Eighties", and Pandemonium tracks.

Posted by noyokono | October 13, 2008 8:02 AM

I agree with noyokono 100%. I was at the first NYC show on Saturday night and it was clearly one of my favorite shows in recent memory. Killing Joke still sound so relevant, contemporary and vibrant! Saturday night's setlist contained all of the first two albums as advertised, plus they blessed us with "Eighties" and "Love Like Blood" for good measure! This band was, is and apparently always will be the real deal!

"CHANGE!"

money
asteroid
the wait
pandemonium
80s
madness

Fantastic, transcendent show, there were a couple of points where violence in the mosh pit erupted in apocalyptic bursts. I'm grateful I didn't get the crap kicked out of me too much. (I stuck real close to a Black Label Society dude and let him do all the dirty work :))
PS: The opening band was abysmal. The keyboard player was the only amusing part, mainly because he struck me as a goth Zoolander, throwing Goth Steel looks all night. I hope he's called Hans, because he looked like a Hans.

Posted by Smaros | October 13, 2008 9:59 AM

Just to be clear, Smaros' setlist above was for the 2nd show on Sunday night. The 1st show on Saturday night was way more focused on the ealier stuff like "Requiem" "Unspeakable" "The Pandys Are Coming" etc., etc.

Posted by blackhat | October 13, 2008 10:13 AM

I was at both shows. The first one was cool for the tunes like Requiem, Complications, etc. from the first record you won't hear again, but parts of that show felt tedious. The Love Like Blood/80s part in the middle which Jaz dedicated to Raven was great.

The second night was out of control. The band and the sparser audience seemed much more into it, the energy was much fiercer and the set was incredible. I had never thought I would get to see Money is Not our God played live (dedicated to "the new world order going bankrupt"). The Pandemonium songs were much heavier and had a bigger impact live than I had imagined. Great great show which went well past my expectations.

Posted by noamjamski | October 13, 2008 11:10 AM

Both shows were great. Sunday's show was ferocious though. "Asteroid" was the highlight of the of night for me.

Is it just me or did the second album not play too well live on Saturday?

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:21 AM

"Is it just me or did the second album not play too well live on Saturday?"

Not just you. It was incredibly tedious!

It should also be noted for anyone who cares that they did not do this at all "don't look back" style. They did not play the first two albums front to back the first night the Pandemonium and early singles the second. The parameters they set were just vague guidelines from which they built sets.

Asteroid was completely awesome. Black Moon, a song I never really felt on record, took on a really aggressive life of its own live!

Posted by noamjamski | October 13, 2008 12:13 PM

To each their own but I for one will take hearing songs like "Requiem" and "Complications" live over anything off the "Pandemonium" LP any day. I admit that's because I'm not as familiar with any of the band's material after the 1985 "Night Time" LP (other than that fantastic 2003 self-titled LP with Dave Grohl drumming). In fact, I would have LOVED to hear "Seeing Red" live and I'm sure "Asteroid" kicked major ass.

@Anon11:21 - I thought "Tension" and "Unspeakable" off of the second LP sounded incredible Saturday night! Remember Paul's drumming on those tracks...WOW!

Here's what we can all agree on...Killing Joke is SEMINAL and that opening band SUCKED, even despite the fact that their drummer used to be in both a lineup of SWANS and Unsane.

Posted by blackhat | October 13, 2008 12:19 PM

To see my absolute favorite band ever, with all the original members, LIVE, TWICE, was the greatest concert experience of my life. The energy in that place, coming from the stage as well as the audience... Mindblowing.

Anyone know the setlist from the first night?

Posted by Michael | October 13, 2008 3:03 PM

ENCORE
20. Change
21. Timewave
22. The Pandys Are Coming
23. Empire Song

Posted by Michael | October 13, 2008 5:14 PM

killing joke were amazing. one of the best shows i have seen in a long time. i am so happy i saw the original lineup. they sounds so good.

Posted by Anonymous | October 13, 2008 11:35 PM

Holy shit! That is a picture of my fist up there!

Posted by Sundermania | October 14, 2008 8:54 PM

Don't see how the 2nd album could be blah to people as it's one of the most brutal drum heavy records...My only complaint with KJ is that throughout all their albums, some of their songs are waaaayyyy too long. But otherwise, both nights were kick ass. One of the best live shows I've seen!

Posted by ari | October 25, 2008 10:41 AM