Posted in metal | music | pictures | video on October 28, 2008

words by Black Bubblegum, photos by Zach Dilgard

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Directly following the shredtastic (and fantastic) set by perky finger-tapper Marnie Stern (pics forthcoming), Made Out of Babies hit the Main Stage at Saturday's Brooklyn Vegan Day Party (10/25). Like a demon possessed, Julie Christmas hurled herself back and forth on stage while entangled in the microphone cord. Her lilting singing voice, more prevalent (today anyway) demonic anguish-ridden screams, and even a few gutteral grunts were showcased in full at the Knitting Factory, and it was both mesmerizing and frightening.

It takes a hell of a band to match that fury and spectacle on stage, but Brendan, Cooper, and Matthew obliged effortlessly with a post-rock-y sense of dynamics and blistering riffs that roared on standouts like "Cooker" and "Invisible Ink" from The Ruiner (out now) and "Mr Prison Shanks" (live video from the show below, dig on the grunts) from their last LP Coward. Dudes know how to throw a party.

During the final seconds of their set, I ran backstage to make sure Rival Schools had everything they needed. While back there, I witnessed Julie post-show, slumped to the floor underneath a stairwell with knees to chest in the fetal position. All I could think to myself was, "she just laid it all out there".

Made Out of Babies played the main stage at the same time Trap Them played the Old Office. Reminder: Trap Them is playing Union Pool in Brooklyn tonight (10/28).

Julie Christmas is also part of the band Spylacopa with John LaMacchia (Candiria), Greg Puciato (The Dillinger Escape Plan), and Jeff Caxide (Isis). They drop their debut EP this month.

Video and more pictures below...

Made Out Of Babies - "Mr. Prison Shanks" Live @ The Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

Made Out of Babies @ Knitting Factory

MOoB's next scheduled show is Decibel Magazine's 50th Issue Party @ Johnny Brenda's in Philadelphia on November 23rd.

someone found the zoom button!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:43 PM

holy crap. Wish I was at the m.o.babies show. Was it well attended for their set?

Great video.

Posted by Nesty | October 28, 2008 4:45 PM

made out of babies fuckin blow. they sound like weak alterna metal from the 90s or something.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 4:59 PM

it was very well attended for their set

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:03 PM

...They actually ARE made out of babies, you know...

Posted by greg | October 28, 2008 5:05 PM

Great set, and Julie is definitely a powerful frontwoman. If you like Made Out of Babies, you should try and get your hands on some Barkmarket:
Musically, the influence is ridiculously apparent in a lot of songs (i.e. Cooker). It especially reminds me of the BKMKT album Gimmick, a lost classic.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:06 PM

4:59 -- Nope. Scrape the turd out of your ear and try again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:16 PM

oh ok. how about this. they just fuckin suck.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:20 PM

Made Out of Babies in Toyland.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:30 PM

I don't know how anyone who witnesses this band live can say they suck

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:37 PM

my grandma doesn't like Made Out of Babies

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:38 PM

they rule, although Battle of Mice is even better

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 5:55 PM

It was scary! Just like the exorcism on paranormal state

Posted by The BEAST | October 28, 2008 6:36 PM

What was with the primadonna rockstar attitude? MooB would not let anyone in the main room while they soundchecked. They made the security staff clear the floor of everyone and closed the doors.

After the actually started the started their set they then opened the doors. In other words, they started with no one in the room.

In the end, they were a decent band. A bit too radio nu-metal for my tastes, but they are definitely better than most bands out there.

And BTW, Barkmarket were an amazing band. I try to get my band to cop more of that sound, but they won't listen!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 10:02 PM

Saw these jokers before. Worst singer ever and the band is about top 20 worst ever.

Posted by nsfw | October 28, 2008 10:45 PM

if by nu metal you mean Unsane, Jesus Lizard, and Keelhaul? you fucking moron

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 11:06 PM

Obviously 11:06pm is a friend of the band. Don't get too personal.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2008 11:24 PM

They need to be more ironic.maybe dress like tennis players,that would be awesome.Maybe have small ironic mustaches.They need to get rid of those powerful Marshall amps and get old,small,really shitty amps too.They should wear black socks pulled up to their knee cap's.
Then they would be AWESOME!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 8:47 AM

A special thanks to BV for curating a great series of shows on Saturday.

This one, however, was only so-so, and their lead singer reminded me of the overly-affected pretension 16 year olds that I wasted my youth pity-fucking.

Posted by Dirty-Ear Bill | October 29, 2008 8:50 AM

they didn't clear the room for their sound check. that's ridiculous. i was there between marnie stern's set and MOOB and no one asked us to leave for a fucking sound check.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 8:58 AM

but the real question here is: would anyone hit it?

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 9:42 AM

I was wondering too what that "soundcheck" comment was about as I didn't see anybody getting asked to leave, including myself. To be honest, I saw MOOB twice before their show at the Knit. Once at the East River Park and another time opening for USSA at Europa. Never really could get into them and I do understand why someone would call their stage presence 'nu-metal'. The way they had their gestures and moves down in the past, especially the bassist, they always struck me as an outfit heading for the big festival stages in a nu-metallish sort of setting. I wasn't even going to shoot them but then decided to 'fill the tape' and give them another chance. and I have to admit, they DID NOT DISAPPOINT. They fucking killed in every way imaginable.
MOOB was the strongest, the most serious and definitly the most outstanding set I saw all day at the Knit. To compare them to monstrous giants like Jesus Lizard is a bit of a stretch though.

Posted by UN:art:IG | October 29, 2008 9:46 AM

i was outside the main room before MOOB and the security guy was asking everyone to go into the front bar room and clear the hall because MOOB was doing a sound check. he definitely was not letting anyone into the main room at all. i guess if you were already inside the main room you were good to go.

eventually, the security guy got tired of people coming up to him to ask to go in and he kind of flipped out and spoke into his walkie talkie and said, "fuck it, i don't need this shit, i'm out y'all i'm out."

we all proceeded to enter and MOOB had indeed already started their set.

i'm not really sure where the line of communication was lost between the security at that point but the whole thing was a bit surreal.

Posted by zach | October 29, 2008 10:16 AM

that explains why it was lightly attended in the beginning of their set I guess.

Posted by UN:art:IG | October 29, 2008 10:24 AM

yea it was really weird for sure. i walked in and thought it looked like they had already started which was strange. i wonder how much longer that security guy would have kept us outside if he didn't eventually snap?

actually, BBG was the straw that broke the camel's back on that one. he actually had an explanation of why the security guy was being a jerk about it all but i totally forget. maybe he can shed some light on the confusing situation.

Posted by zach | October 29, 2008 10:33 AM

Here is exactly what happened.... I was downstairs talking to some of the staff and headed up to go to MOoB when I saw that the Security guard was halting everyone. I went to the front of the line and said that I needed to get in and that I was from the website. He was not pleased. So I reiterated that everyone needed to get back in, but he wasnt listening.... so I went to the manager. At that point he flipped out and left the building. The manager opened the bar door as well.

Either way, it was ridiculous and it got fixed.

It had NOTHING to do with soundchecking. As a matter of fact, considering the gear that they brought, (and comparing it to what some of the other bands brought) they had relatively no soundcheck at all.

Posted by BBG | October 29, 2008 11:02 AM

Made out of Boobies is WAAAAAY much better than these hacks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 12:59 PM

Her tights work well with the KF logo in the last photo.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 1:14 PM

"There are any number of reasons why they werent letting people in, but the one I can think of is that with the delay in time, there was some confusion as to whether our show was over. Thats the best I can come up with."

I stand corrected. That explanation makes more sense. All we understood from the outside is that no one was allowed inside because the band was soundchecking.

It also created a huge clusterfuck since they were not allowing us in and they also didn't want anyone to stand in the hallway.

I still stand by my nu-metal comment though. I thought they were a good band, but offered not much in originality (hey, not every band could). A bit paint-by-numbers, but I enjoyed them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2008 10:29 PM