Posted in music | pictures on October 5, 2008

photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Nick Cave

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds played the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden in NYC on Saturday night, October 4th. The show was part of a short North American tour that ends in Philly on Tuesday. And though Nick doesn't come around that often, it was actually his second NYC show with the Bad Seeds this year. The first was at the Plug Awards at Terminal 5 in March which was less than a year after Nick was here with Grinderman to play the larger room at MSG with the White Stripes and Porter Wagoner (RIP). About Saturday night someone said...

So densely layered and deep and yet at the same time oh so sparse and simple, Nick Cave and his Bad Seeds are an encumbering mindfuck and a freewheeling fiesta all at the same time. Playing some maddeningly good classics like "Tupelo", "Red Right Hand", "Love Letter", "God is in the House", "The Lyre of Orpheus", "Deanna" and the big finale of "Stagger Lee", Nick, Warren, and the rest of the clan breathed life into their dark, rich, thundercrackers as well as Nick's restless hearted but nevertheless calming ballads. [Sonic Parthenon]
The full setlist and a few more pictures from the show below...

Setlist: (via)

13. We Call Upon The Author
14. Papa Won't Leave You Henry

Encore:

15. The Lyre of Orpheus
16. Get Ready For Love
17. Stagger Lee

The Bellmar Dolls opened the show.

I have seen Nick a few times over the years - last night was the best show I have seen him play. I did miss Blix however Warren Ellis is a great foil for Nick. They were loud & raucous. Kind of halfway between old Bad Seeds and Grinderman. Could have used a few more songs however. Maybe a few old faves. On to Philly Tues night! Tix still available as of Sun afternoon.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2008 10:44 PM

goddamn what a setlist.

i kept saying the same thing to friends...i want to go but don't want to pay.

i saw them at the plug awards...but i certainly wish i was there last night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2008 10:44 PM

Was there a sample of Blixa Bargeld's scream during the climax of Stagger Lee?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2008 11:13 PM

Wish I wasn't out of town for this show. Nick Cave fucking rules and he hardly ever comes around.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2008 11:19 PM

i am incredibly regretting not going to this... but i'm so f'n broke :(

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:11 AM

Blix being gone aside the show was at best a greatest hits collection painfully too loud and pretty disappointing all together.I am a true fan of the man but I think they just wanted to get through this one and call it a night.should have stayed home and watched God Is In The House.fuck it.

Posted by James | October 6, 2008 12:26 AM

i saw one of the two chicago shows with a similar setlist. unbelievably great show. tons of energy from the band and some funny ad-lib lines during the title track of the new album where he said something about "all the girls up front with the cameras flashing".

love this band. and their live gig. (and Grinderman). definitely a rarity to be this productive and generally respected a full 30 years into your recording career.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:03 AM

man, this was a fantastic show! despite my shit seat and the fact that i lost my $30 t-shirt! (if anyone found an XL black shirt with the blue ladys on it, you're welcome!)

I've seen Nick and the Bad Seeds about 4 times now and I think this might have been the best! I was suprised he played The Weeping Song without Blixa but he bought something new to it.

Nick seems to be in more of a rockin' mood these days as he dismissed a few songs the audience called out for as "too...gloomy."

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:33 AM

Nick playing Tupelo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sputnik57/2917902090/

What a concert! Certainly one of the best I've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 8:13 AM

fucking flabbergasting how good cave+seeds are live. the drama, timing, the sheer impact of the sound [ellis was incredible as usual, esp. on violin during the two quieter numbers -- and 2 drummers!]-- cave prowling all over the stage, all sex and hunger -- it's so great to see performers in total mastery of their craft. nastiest, most intense show I've seen in ages.

Posted by SK | October 6, 2008 10:17 AM

Talk about a LAME Show! Nick Was Steve McQueen Call in the day, Now he is a Middle aged man looking for his Red Corvette. What was with The Front Man Act? He looked like a Spastic Mick Jagger. The Bad Seeds Sucked also. How could a performer go from doing a Show like back at The Beacon in 02 to this Pathetic Performance?

It is a SAD Day!

Posted by SweatShirt Guy | October 6, 2008 10:23 AM

What was with the Lack of Brain Cells comment Nick made about not being able to play certain songs? This is the man who wrote "And the Ass Saw the Angel" Iguess he feels he has to dumb Down for his current audience.

Posted by Sweatshirtguy | October 6, 2008 10:33 AM

Tickets still available for Philadelphia tomorrow. How pathetic that the best show to go through there this year can't even sell out.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 10:34 AM

I was in the general admission area, about three or four people from the front and let me say that I've never experienced the same sort of energy in the hundreds of different concerts I've been to. If the crowd wasn't into, that wasn't apparent from the front, there was a palpable vigor from the first notes of "Hold on..." to the closing crash and guttural screams of "Stagger Lee." At one point I yelled, "O'Malley's Bar" to which Cave responded, "That would require entirely too many brain cells for this evening." Could he be any cooler? They really have this down, too bad there's no more Blixa but as a whole the band doesn't really suffer musically or cosmically in his absence. I'm still pumped from the show and it was two days ago. Any more pictures or song clips would be greatly appreciated. Let's hope the Bad Seeds come back around the area sooner than later!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 10:38 AM

First Cave concert and the man's song writing and prowess even at his age is a testament to his art. i did kinda feel that he wanted to just get through it, but with the level of energy and emotion put forth, do you blame him? well, I had a blast, and I wasn't that "into" cave before, but I now want to seek out all the songs he played and more!

Posted by D | October 6, 2008 10:54 AM

So You think it's "Cool" that he was too Fucked Up to Play O'Malleys Bar?

Posted by Sweatshirtguy | October 6, 2008 10:54 AM

I didn't think he was implying any sort of intoxication, but merely in a different head space than a song that chronicles a mass killing. But then again maybe it was that he was "too Fucked Up." If that's the case, not as cool as I had originally thought. Regardless of intoxication levels, cool show.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 11:05 AM

I think the band suffers quite palpably from Blixa's departure. Both musically and cosmically.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 11:17 AM

it was my first time seeing nick cave and he was absolutly incredible. he sounded fucking amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 11:19 AM

Sweatshirtguy -- his brain cells comment carried no implication of being "too fucked up", or "dumbing down" to an audience -- both are just your embittered, fanciful interpretations. The guy just didn't feel like singing a 15 minute-long relative obscurity. He's a performer -- let him sing what he wants. If he doesn't live up to your ideal of what Cave should be singing/doing at this point in his career, that's your problem, not his.

Posted by C | October 6, 2008 11:20 AM

I have no problem, I am just embarassed for Nick Cave because he lost too many cells to embarassed for himself.

Posted by Sweatshirtguy | October 6, 2008 11:31 AM

Sure it's Cave that's lost the brain cells?

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 11:35 AM

I really regret not going to this show. I went to Glasvegas instead, which sucked so bad, I was bored to tears...

Cool pix ! Thanks for posting em! He looks great!

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:48 PM

Blixa's been out of the band 6 years now, I thought people were done weeping over that, especially since Cave has made 4 albums since then, and Warren Ellis is a monster.

"Deanna" was the best.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:18 PM

Other than The Weeping Song, which really did seem like they just wanted to get it over with -- why play it then? -- this show was totally over the top and right up there among the many Cave performances I've seen. The person above who questioned his "front man" act has obviously never seen Cave live, and knows not much about him. I'm tempted to go down to Philly tomorrow just to see "We Call Upon the Author to Explain" again! Oh and really, can we all just hold hands and get over Blixa? Warren Ellis makes up for that loss in spades, and then some. Let's move on, people!

Posted by c | October 6, 2008 1:33 PM

That's Bellmer Dolls, not Bellmar. (And they're playing at the Mercury Lounge tomorrow.)

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 1:35 PM

the constant shouting out of song requests gets a little tiresome at nick cave shows and it did at this one as well. i know i know we all have songs we want to hear but part of it also seems to be, how many obscurities can we yell out? "DREAD THE PASSAGE OF JESUS!!!"

I was disappointed with the shortness of the show. I would have liked more news from nowhere and one other ballad but it did feel a bit like they were getting through it rather than enjoying it. Nick's chatter always straddles a fine line between playfulness and irritation. i thought saturday was a bit more of the latter.

but one never knows does one?

it did have power and it was nice to hear hard on for love. we call upon the author was a highlight. but go back to the pre 2003 version of red right hand. the song really misses the power of those bells.

in the end, i'm just grateful to see him

&

my ears are still ringing. always a good sign. ;-)

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 2:29 PM

why are people always feigning disappointment at not having heard such and such a song at a show? a live show is not analogous to the shuffle function on your ipod. it was incredibly loud and nick was in top form. my ears are also still ringing. and to echo the comment by "c" above: warren ellis is one badmotherfucker.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 4:28 PM

New Yorkers are suckers.Always complaining. Get a fuckin` life losers. The concert was amazing. If you couldn't enjoy it, I feel sorry for you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 6, 2008 5:25 PM

I've been seeing Nick every chance since 1992 and Sat. night was up there with the blest. I'm still high from it. Only disappointment for me is the section they cut out of Papa Won't Leave You Henry.

It's amazing how engaging he's become with the audience. What's with that?

Posted by Ken | October 7, 2008 2:17 PM

Up there with the BEST, that is. :-/

Posted by Ken | October 7, 2008 2:18 PM

I thought the set list and performance were great but the sound quality was really horrible.

Posted by Dexter Wiggle | October 7, 2008 2:34 PM

I traveled from Boston to see this show, and I would have traveled a hell of a lot farther! Nick remains master of the freaking universe.

Posted by Laura | October 7, 2008 6:58 PM

Nick and the band were in fine form - which was more than could be said for the majority of the audience. I really expected more from a NYC crowd - very restrained, very tame.

I live near Nick in the UK, and I'm looking forward to seeing him at the Brighton gig for a racous homecoming !

Posted by NEILLO | October 9, 2008 4:06 AM

That show was spectacular- thanks for posting the pix!

Sweatshirtguy is apparently very unhappy, in general, I feel. Sorry man.

Posted by cavefan | October 14, 2008 4:56 PM