Posted in music | pictures on October 8, 2008

Photos by Nathan Miller

Okkervil River

"Anytime I've ever seen Okkervil River perform live, they've seemed like the world's most under-slept, under-shaved band coming off a four-day bender, shredding their guts onstage as if it were their last show before their dark demise in an alley. And yet here they are on their brilliant new record with their hippie hair all tamed and their sound semi-polished and pop, as though they spent the summer at rock-hottie camp with Stuart Murdoch learning new dance moves." [EyeWeekly]
Okkervil River, Eric Bachmann's Crooked Fingers and Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears played their second of two nights in a row at NYC's Webster Hall last night (10/7). Crooked Fingers' new album Forfeit / Fortune came out the same day on Red Pig / Constant Artists, Inc.
"If the record took off we would have to re-evaluate and I wouldn't have a problem dancing with the devil," Bachmann said, making a half-joking reference to big retailers like Walmart with whom he shares little in common philosophically. "I don't think the system is innately bad, we're just trying to manipulate the system to where we can keep as much money that's ours as possible." [StarNews]
The first NYC show was 10/6 and that's the night the below pictures were taken. Both Okkervil setlists are down there too....

Okkervil River - Lost Coastlines

Black Joes Lewis & The Honeybears...

Black Joe Lewis

The Latest Toughs
On Tour with Zykos
Pop Lie
The War Criminal Rises and Speaks (
A Stone
Blue Tulip
Starry Stairs (with horns)
Lost Coastlines (with horns)
Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe >
Our Life is Not a Movie or Maybe >
Unless It's Kicks
-------------
Title Track (solo)
Blue Tulip
Another Radio Song

the first night was amazing...the set list was perfect and the crowd was enamored with Will and vice versa.
last night...i cant really say the same. the crowd seemed bored at times and the band seemed to be going through the motions though Will seemed to be enjoying himself.

Crooked Fingers is worth checking out and Bachmann did one Archers of Loaf covers each night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 10:52 AM

Great show on Monday! Thanks for the pics and setlists.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 10:58 AM

Thought the audience last night was tepid at best, but the band (and setlist!) were tops.

Also, a PSA: I heard "who's the girl?" bubbling in the crowd. So for you wonderers, it's Lauren Gurgiolo, of The Dialtones, rockin guitar, slide guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, et.al. And she was gracefully AMAZING. Swoon.

Posted by shelbyC | October 8, 2008 11:00 AM

new Crooked Fingers album is very nice, bonus dvd if you go that route is cool too. plus there's more nudity on the booklet inside.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:01 AM

I went to the first night, cause a friend of mine really likes Okkervil, though I only knew one or two songs. I was thoroughly impressed. The band was really energetic, and it really rubbed off on the crowd. By the end of the show, total strangers around us were jokingly competing for fastest handclaps and best dance moves.

I had also never heard Crooked Fingers, who were awesome. Does anyone have a set list for them on monday night? I'd love to download some of their stuff, but they have a pretty extensive discography.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:02 AM

Eric Bachmann's solo album is totally worth checking out too...Its on Saddle Creek and its called 'To The Races'

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:08 AM

last night was BORING

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:09 AM

boring? I don't know what show you were at, but I thought Okkervil was fantastic.
I did not see the Monday show, so I can't compare, but if the monday show was better than this, it must've been insane.

I also thought Black Joe Louis was excellent, and Crooked Fingers were impressive as well.

Posted by Kurt C. | October 8, 2008 11:14 AM

it gets tiring to get there early to get a good viewing spot and stand through two openers that are eh and meh at best in such an uncomfortable venue as Webster Hall. even though most of the crowd was tired and maybe not giving back as much energy, the show was great and i've seen Okkervil River and Will Sheff many times. imho, last night things seemed a little off for the first few songs, but then it really got going and made up for it. it's cool to see them evolve as a band like this, it's not good or bad, it just is.

i think comparing nights like this is dumb. makes me feel that the night i went is not valid somehow just cos more people on the previous night were into hand-claps.

Posted by ot | October 8, 2008 11:15 AM

bachmann isn't covering archers of loaf - he wrote and performed all of the archers of loaf songs. can't cover your own work.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:17 AM

Black Joe Lewis stole both shows.

Posted by lala | October 8, 2008 11:19 AM

last night's show was wonderful. will was giving his all, dripping sweat and spit (those of us in the front row were reveling in it).

also he's a total sweetheart. i met him backstage after winning the raffled off new unreleased song (which is excellent btw). he handed the cd to me personally and we chatted at bit. very modest and adorable.

Posted by jess | October 8, 2008 11:25 AM

@ 11:17

you dick. you know what i meant.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:28 AM

Agreed. Both nights were great, but Monday's was awesome. And Black Joe Lewis is sweet.

Posted by Ryan | October 8, 2008 11:40 AM

Dear Anon 11:02,

Crooked fingers entire catalogue is great. The first two albums on Warm Records are wonderful, features the girls from Azure Ray on some of the songs. The Eric Bachmann solo album is good, but the Crooked Fingers stuff is a bit better in my opinion. There is also a great Crooked Fingers EP of covers, which I would encourage you to check out. I would just start with the first album and work you way to the newest. If you like any of his material you will enjoy all of it. Quality songwriting throughout.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:43 AM

They also played "Calling and Not Calling My Ex" last night...

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:52 AM

FUCK THE RED SOX!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:59 AM

last night the guys from the horn section of Black Joe Lewis & The Honey Bears came out again and did some songs with Okkervil River. two of them had stickers on their shirts. did they say, BITCH I LOVE YOU?

if anyone knows, thanks for clearing this up for me!

Posted by ot | October 8, 2008 12:38 PM

okkervil river were incredible last night.

they really need to turn down the bass at webster hall, though. it's a rock show-- about guitars and vocals, not drum & bass.

re: the video: jonathan meiburg's face gives me a heart attack. gonna go see shearwater on the 20th. For the music. Mostly.

Posted by cannape | October 8, 2008 12:43 PM

Damn, looks like I picked the right show. Last night's setlist is pretty disappointing.

Posted by Mike | October 8, 2008 12:44 PM

12:38 Yep, they were giving them out at the merch table!

(Bitch, I Love You is one of BJL's songs.)

Posted by Ryan | October 8, 2008 12:53 PM

thanks, Ryan!

Posted by ot | October 8, 2008 12:58 PM

100% AGREED on the bass at Webster Hall. It's fucking ridiculous, and ruins music there quite often.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | October 8, 2008 1:34 PM

I went to the show last night at webster hall and in a strange coincidence, I spotted emanuel lewis in the balcony.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 2:56 PM

last nights show was extremely dull

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 4:11 PM

The girl in the red sox shirt wore the same shirt last Wed. Night in Birmingham. She must have a washing machine.

Posted by David | October 8, 2008 4:46 PM

Anon. 11:17 AM >>>>>>> Anon. 10:52/11:28 AM

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 6:31 PM

Last nights show sucked balls but the singer had very pretty hair.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2008 9:55 PM

I went to the 2nd show. I was bored at times and really into it at others. I have to say that the crowd was terrible. Bunch of wimpy dudes who were busy talking to each other. How can you be dancing to a song with your hands in the air and having a full conversation through the entire song? yeah your really into it...

Posted by Michael | October 9, 2008 9:07 AM

Bachmann played Web In Front the first night. The crowd didn't seem to know the song at all. What Archers of Loaf song did he play the second night?

Posted by Your Spine | October 9, 2008 1:26 PM

Yeah, I went to the second night BOOOORIIIIING. too many dudes like michael there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 9, 2008 2:24 PM