Posted in music | tour dates on October 17, 2008

Kickball Katy playing with Fucked Up (more by Chris La Putt)
Katy

The L Magazine (aka Marc Hogan): I know you've covered one of the Wipers' songs. Is there an album in particular of theirs that you guys are big on?
Kickball Katy (aka 1/3 of Vivian Girls): We love Youth of America. Like, the first couple. Youth of America, the Over the Edge album and Is This Real, those are three of the best albums ever made, in my opinion. Cassie definitely agrees, and so does Ali. We just wanted to write some crazy songs like that. We're not that good, but we do like those albums a lot, and those are the things that we really had in common. We also really liked Dead Moon. They're in that new band, what is it? Pierced Arrows. I haven't seen them yet, but I saw Dead Moon like two years ago and it was awesome.

...

The L: Not to belabor the point, but with Frankie, that was officially a "kick out" not an "I'm quitting" kind of thing?
KK: Yeah, I wouldn't want to harp on this too much, but yeah, we had to ask her to leave. For various reasons that I won't get into.

The L: You guys are still friends with Crystal Stilts?
KK: We love Crystal Stilts. JB [Townsend, guitar], Brad [Hargett, vocals], and Andy [Adler, bass] are three really, really cool dudes. We were just hanging out with them the other night. We're still good friends with them. Things are cool, still.

Pierced Arrows play Maxwell's in Hoboken tonight (Oct 17). All tour dates below...

Pierced Arrows - 2008 Tour Dates
Nov 22 - Berbatti's Pan Portland, Oregon
Nov 29 - Hall of the Woods Olympia, Washington
Dec 19 - The Tonic Lounge Portland, Oregon
Jan 25 2009 - Roseland Theater Portland, Oregon

tooo much coverage of Viv Gs

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:31 PM

wrong, there can N.E.V.E.R. be enough.

yours truly,
fanboy #1

Posted by UN:art:IG | October 17, 2008 3:41 PM

Pierced Arrows sound great. I am going to try and make this show now. thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:42 PM

catfight?

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:42 PM

KickMembersOfTheBandOut Katy

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:43 PM

I think you meant Kat Fight. That type of shit always happens with all girl groups.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:45 PM

i checked out the vivian girls' album. not my cup of chai.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 3:46 PM

they kicked Frankie out because she was TOO HOT

Posted by butternuts | October 17, 2008 3:46 PM

They kicked her out because she doesn't swing her arms when she walks.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 4:00 PM

maybe she sharted in the tour van

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 4:07 PM

vivian girls aren't very good. it's sad that folks tend to overlook the wipers later output. silver sail is fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 4:08 PM

asked her to leave= threw a hissy fit when they realized she cared more about being in a way better band

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 5:27 PM

Why do any of you give a shit about these "Vivian Girls" when the PIERCED ARROWS are mentioned??? Fuck all you white privileged children, you don't know music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 6:17 PM

that this got published has got to be kind of a bummer for everyone involved.

I hope these women learn how to do interviews soon, because this is embarrassing and tacky.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 8:09 PM

I would just like to say that the original statement that I made was never intended to make it into an interview. There never should have been a comment made on the situation at all, and I regret it. Frankie was a crucial part of Vivian Girls, and while it didn't work out, we wish her luck with Crystal Stilts, which is a great band.

That being said, I know that there is nothing I can do about it now, but I stand completely against the controversial way this post was intended to start drama.

We have asked Brooklyn Vegan to stop writing about our band on this website, and that has only led to more coverage. For this I apologize! We would like nothing more than to never be posted about again.

This is the first comment I have ever made on this website, and I hope that it is my last.

Posted by Katy Goodman | October 17, 2008 9:39 PM

Holy crap she might actually have read the comments all you assholes make about her (you know what I'm talking about). The drama has barely begun.

Posted by Anonymous | October 17, 2008 11:03 PM

I stand by my original comment that Frankie WAS what WAS good about Vivian Girls. She was irreplaceable in that band. She played Bass as well as drums wrote songs/ took part in writing the songs/ cultivated and cared. Her presence is obviously missed in the live shows. Not to sound harsh, but it 's clear to everyone who her friends are , and thats with whom she currently plays music with. To off-handedly say she was "kicked out" and replaced by someone "better" is a moronic simplification and either the journalist or the New "vivian Girls" should be ashamed.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 1:31 AM

Good old Jersey K.K. Maybe she should start thinking about the stupid things that cum out of her mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 1:37 AM

Vivian Girl,

Your band is getting hype not because it has talent--the music is just not great--but because, in large part, two of the members are very good looking. Your recent surge in popularity owes something to Brooklyn Vegan too. Your complaint reminds me of the phrase "biting the hand that feeds you." I understand that you are now in a position where what you say and do is being noticed--although in the small, small world of the underground music scene in New York--but asking a music blog to discontinue its coverage of your band is immature, short sighted, and, quite frankly, fascist. To conclude, enjoy the hype while it lasts--and it won't last long--and enjoy your youthful good looks and fancy haircuts while they last too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 10:55 AM

Fascism rears its beautiful red head! Quite frankly, you are an idiot, but thanx for the laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 11:04 AM

Hey Anon 10:55,

I couldn't be happier if Brooklyn Vegan had never started posting about us in the first place, even if it did mean we wouldn't be as popular as we are today. Is that fascist? I don't think so. People say terrible things about us on here, not only about our music and our looks but about our personal lives. How would you feel if EVERYTHING about you was being attacked on a public forum, just to stir controversy?

As for Frankie, she was an extremely vital part of the band. Both Katy and I acknowledge Vivian Girls wouldn't have gone anywhere without her. Yeah, things weren't working out, but what can you do?
Vivian Girls with Frankie was great. Vivian Girls with Ali is great too.

This is my first Brooklyn Vegan post as well, and I also hope that it's my last.

Posted by Cassie Ramone | October 18, 2008 11:53 AM

Vivian Girls would be NOTHING without BrooklynVegan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 12:52 PM

i would like to sex one of the vivian girls, but not the ugly one

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 12:53 PM

i'd still hit it even though she's a bitch

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 12:57 PM

Vivian Girls were signed to In The Red based on the strength of their single and the recordings that were released on the LP prior to it being released.
The owner didn't know what they looked like.

There's no point to this article other than stirring the reader, hoping for some audacious comments, because that's all anyone comes here for.
It's a bunch of photos and a quote from a DIFFERENT magazine.

If Brooklyn Vegan were in fact responsible for the Vivian Girls popularity (as opposed to constant touring, like any other band who become popular does) you'd think they'd be writing some informative articles.

So what is it about Brooklyn Vegan that made them popular, exactly?

Your snide comments?

Pat yourselves on the back, then. Way to go. They're popular because you write shitty things about them.

Posted by Mike, In The Red Records | October 18, 2008 1:05 PM

from listening to their recordings
i thought i would like this band,
sounds like a rock and roll band,
so i went to see them and they really sucked
so i guess they make nice little recordings in a studio
but aren't really a good band at all

Posted by gregory | October 18, 2008 1:12 PM

BV himself is pretty damn fair. It's one of the reasons I like this site. His contributors typically include more value judgments in their posts than he does, and even they haven't really ripped on VGs. The negativity and the sexism come from the comments section. If the comments upset you, don't read them.

Brooklyn Vegan is the most prominent NYC-specific music blog running. VGs have been one of the most hyped NYC bands of the past year, so it makes sense that the site covers them. Also, how is posting tour dates and MP3s hurting the band? The site helps people hear VGs music and gets the word out about shows.

What a bunch of fucking whiners. I'm glad I don't like the tunes.

Posted by feedbacker | October 18, 2008 1:49 PM

I agree this particular post on the VGs is possibly a misstep by the Vegan. But, having said that, I don't believe he has been personally responsible for the treatment the band has gotten on here in the past. If anything he's been a tireless supporter of the band, and the negative/abusive/tasteless comments have all come from site users.

It's wildly incorrect of Mike from In the Red to say that the audacious comments are "all anyone comes here for." Personally I was disgusted by the comments made on one particular VG article, and really can't stomach all the "I'd hit it" comments. But I come here for music news, photos, information, and tips on new bands. I discovered the VGs through this site, and have become a fan of theirs.

At the same time, I would feel extremely upset if I was in a band and subject to some of the abhorrent comments that are aimed at (mostly female) musicians on here. It's surprising and depressing in equal measures.

But we can't let those fucks win. It's a handful of people. Don't lend them a disproportionate amount of power when I'm sure most people who come to this site are decent people who probably spend a fair amount of time and money on going to shows and buying records by the VGs and on labels like In the Red.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 1:50 PM

Why would anyone come here other than the comments?

It's a small bit of an article and a quote from "L" Magazine.

There's nothing to it.

Just comments.

People come here and click on the Vivian Girls article to read a snippet that was already published? Gimme a break.

They click on the article to rip on these girls. That's it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 2:22 PM

get real, people read this blog because the veg goes out of his way to let everyone know whats going on with last minute shows and crazy tours. i know about and love the vivian girls, and wouldnt have heard of them if it wasnt for this blog. also a lot of people find out about the shows they play from this here blog. all these todd p shows would be a lot less crowded if b-veg didnt let anyone know about them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 2:31 PM

its called a vocal minority. the internet thrives on this demographic.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 2:45 PM

Ey Girls, love your music, DO NOT LET THESE PATHETIC FUCKS get you down. Anon 10:55 is a prime example of the internet slime that needs to take 20 min to compose a mini-essay about why something sucks in order to forget about their own sorry existence.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 3:08 PM

Yet another person here in the know who feels the need to say that without Frankie, the Vivian Girls would not be. She wrote and co-wrote half the songs, arranged them, sang all over them, and created the whole production/aural aesthetic. Without her they'd be a pop-punk band of little note. The name was also hers- it's a Darger reference, yes, but, in fact, her mother's name is Vivian. I'm not going to get into the elements of privilege, class, entitlement, etc that will ensure these two young ladies will never fail at anything they endeavor to do, but to shit on the very talented and genuine Miss Rose, who made the band what it is, is reminiscent of the class bullies cheating off the smart kid's SAT, then beating her up in front of the whole school. And happily, the analogy also fits in the larger scheme of things in the Brooklyn indie rock world, because, and I speak from experience- it's every bit as ugly, dishonest, classism-ridden, and venal as your average high school. And every one of us is to blame. I really wish it were all about the music, but obviously it's not.

I hope these young ladies learn to conduct themselves with more respect for the people who do for them in the future. Frankie, you're a great talent and I'm waiting on a solo record- lots of people would love to hear it.

Posted by yul | October 18, 2008 4:29 PM

Also, this is the most important part: FRANKIE LEFT VIVIAN GIRLS, they did not kick her out. I in fact was accidentally privy to the conversation. So the whole point is, these young ladies lied in an interview, not only about the circumstances of Frankie's departure, but, by implication, about her importance in the band. So these people saying "don't listen to these assholes" are missing the point entirely. You don't go around treating the people who got you where you are like shit. It's not right. And they've done so publicly. Very tacky indeed.

There are a multitude of extraordinary talents out there who will never be heard because of the entitled bullies of the music industry. It's sad to see such unfortunate behavior rewarded time and time again.

Posted by yul | October 18, 2008 4:45 PM

I'm kind of confused, is BV in with L mag? there have been tons of interviews with Vivian Girls, including Pitchfork last week and the Tripwire 3 weeks ago, and if you're looking for NY Centric, Impose had an interview like a year ago. I mean, I like them, but why you tagging L?

Posted by always right | October 18, 2008 5:27 PM

Uhh, hey Yul.

You don't have the correct info.

Just sayin'.

I'm not anti-Frankie or anything, it's just that a lot of your information is wrong.

Brooklyn Vegan, on the other hand:

You took ONE QUOTE from an entire interview with the expressed interest of creating this exact reaction. The interview is pages long and there's maybe two lines about Frankie no longer being in the band.

You posted it here with a photo and not much info.

Why? So people will write all kinds of b/s, take sides, and further put Frankie and the other girls in the band through public misery.

It's a shameful way to get "hits."

Yes, you've promoted them in the past and probably will in the future, maybe even without bias. However, you clearly picked a very brief statement from the L Magazine article to have this happen.

The Vivian Girls without Frankie is old news, it's months old. So, why post that?

Everyone can have their say about the Vivian Girls with/without Frankie and whether or not the Vivian Girls are "good" or "bad." However, EVERY time there is a post about them, it goes beyond music. It gets personal.

Either it's morons making comments about their looks or someone like Yul, hiding behind internet anonymity to make personal attacks and claims. Clearly it's someone who knows these girls and they should seriously consider their actions.

I think Frankie is great. She was great in Vivian Girls (though an EQUAL, not LESSER or GREATER part of the whole) and she is great in Crystal Stilts. I'd love to hear what she does next. I don't think Vivian Girls are better or worse without her, just different.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 8:29 PM

Why should BV think that Vivian Girls would regret what they said in L Magazine? Lots of people were wondering what happened to Frankie and that interview had the answer straight from the mouths of of the Vivian Girls. I found it interesting. It's not old news at all. The interview came out this week and Vivian Girls and Crystal Stilts are two of the best and most popular new bands right now.

Posted by lets all hug | October 18, 2008 8:45 PM

I hope some of the people in here care as much about the election as they do about this non-issue.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 8:50 PM

Hey Yul,

What are you talking about with class issues? There have been rich and poor people who've been successes and failures in music.

It doesn't mean too much.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Frankie still in the band when they started becoming popular a few months ago? I'm not even sure what your argument is. Do you have bank statements or something? Are you saying Frankie comes from a vastly different economic background? Is she now a hinderance to Crystal Stilts because of this? Obviously not, because they're doing better than ever. (Great band, by the way.)

I know them, not very well, but the Vivian Girls seem like typical middle class suburban kids, not upper class.

There are about one gazillion bands in Brooklyn that are as good-looking or better looking than Vivian Girls. There are umpteen thousand bands in Brooklyn who come from a wealthy background. But you never hear about them, because they probably aren't very good.

As far as what you're saying about the Frankie-less Vivian Girls and their music, shouldn't we wait to see what kind of record they put out without her before we judge? And if Frankie is indeed the "genius" of the band, we should all be waiting to hear this grand opus when it comes out! Then we can find out without all this deluded speculation.

Pierced Arrows are basically an institution. There should be a Fred and Toody Cole monument erected in the Northwest.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 9:07 PM

So Frankie "left" a band that she(according to "Yul", big claims here, by the way):

1. wrote/co-wrote all the songs in.
2. Sang for.
3. Played bass and drums for.
4. NAMED.
5. Founded.
6. Elevated beyond a "crappy pop-punk band"
7. Produced (according to you?)

So she could:

1. Play drums in Crystal Stilts, who recorded/wrote without her.

No offense to Frankie, but that doesn't seem like a good decision.

Unless of course, she was asked to leave....

What conversation were you privy to exactly??

People leave/get fired from bands all the time. No big deal, life goes on.

NEXT...

Posted by IHateWorking | October 18, 2008 9:22 PM

looks, class, and musical ability, art, what have you, are not mutually exclusive. Nature cares not for your moral indignation. deal with it! The Vivian Girls are awesome! i had no idea what they looked like when i first listened to them and i was immediately hooked because of the haunted jagged shimmering harmonies and guitars. i found them through myspace not BV. I would have followed what they were doing regardless of BV but BV is helpful and i am thankful for it. Once i heard and saw them live (with Frankie) for the first time at The Yard on the most perfect of perfect days this summer my impressions of their awesomeness were tripled! I'll be nostalgic for this past summer someday and the Vivian Girls will be partially responsible for that nostalgia.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 10:18 PM

Frankie leaving the Vivian Girls has been a topic for MONTHS (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2008/07/vivian_girls_mh.html#comment-334762). It was very abrupt and we never got a straight answer. It looks like Marc Hogan finally got the answer.

However, if you look at tripwire's interview (http://www.thetripwire.com/features/2008/9/10/on-the-cover-interview-vivian-girls) you get a diferent answer:

So how did you come to be in the band?

Ali: Well, the old drummer Frankie was getting really busy with Crystal Stilts.

Cassie: It wasn't working out.

Katy: Time conflict. We wanted to tour a lot and she was in another band. This was really good for everybody. [Frankie] is really happy in Crystal Stilts. And we love Ali.

Ali: One day Katy called me and she wanted to vent about stressing about Vivian Girls, and I said that if she ever needed help that I'd be happy to drum for them. We've been in bands before, and I've played drums for a while, so.

WTF. At least tripwire didn't ask them what their fucking favorite ringtone was (THANKS PITCHFORK!).

I can't speak for BV but the reason I think he lets anonymous commenters on his blog is so that actual fans can talk about the music instead of having them hear it from critics. It's a double-edged sword but it just shows how many people are passionate about music out there.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 11:49 PM

11:49 "It was very abrupt and we never got a straight answer"

cause "we" are all owed a direct answer into the personal issues of people in bands. "we" deserve to know all the reasons, personal or other, about peoples lives. give me a break.

Posted by Anonymous | October 18, 2008 11:59 PM

well why didn't they just keep quiet instead of responding to it in TWO different publications?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:01 AM

it's the sense of entitlement that people are owed this information that is absurd...to this observer it seems only one side of this has been interested in blabbing on and on while the other seems to think it isn't anyones business and it isn't about gossip but just about making music, and who cares about any personal bullshit, thats people's own deal

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:18 AM

personal bullshit is part of making music. i'm just going to cut myself now and wait for the creative juices to start flowing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:25 AM

yeah but you aren't entitled to know everybody's personal bullshit...it ain't that hard to understand.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:40 AM

if we don't want to know any personal information then why are they being interviewed about their influences, tastes, and even the friggin damn movie they just watched?

when you're an up and coming band and decide to mention you abruplty kicked out a third of your band at an indirect question you're entitled to some answers. you didn't even respond to the fact that they gave two different replies to the same question.

it's not that hard to think before you say something. or talk with your bandmates about a canned response for a question that every decent music reporter would ask instead of getting your foot stuck in your mouth.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:55 AM

well, let the cards fall as they will, as i said above it seems only one part, or 2/3rds, if you will, of the equation feel the need to talk bullshit to whoever wants to listen...you catch the drift?

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 1:00 AM

to repeat what somone said above, putting up excerpts of an interview that ran for, what, two or three pages, but you only print the gossipy parts, in bold and with links to your own post, is pretty fucking sleazy. people can say all they want about show info, etc., which is helpful, but this is pretty much bottom of the barrel, tmz shit.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 1:03 AM

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 1:03 AM

the only thing close to the bottom of the barrel her is the Vivian Girls, a band I love, trashing an ex-band member who is also in a band I love.

What time does Daft Punk go on?

Posted by whino | October 19, 2008 1:51 AM

1:03, who are they trashing?

They're just saying it didn't work out, so they kicked her out. They're just saying what happened, not trashing anyone.

On the contrary, she's saying she left. I would too!

It's like every other "break-up", no one wants to be the loser.

Does Brooklyn Vegan actually ask permission from the authors of articles?

Did anyone read the whole article? It's like 2 pages long.

Brooklyn Vegan pulled the most "controversial" quote, and said nothing about the Vivian Girls or Crystal Stilts that's interesting or even relevant.

Lame, lame, lame.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 12:50 PM

Talk about a band blowing things out of proportion. Hey Vivian Girls, I think you need to stay off the Internet for a while!

Posted by right | October 19, 2008 1:15 PM

like a lot of other VG fans, I discovered them on this site. I am very grateful to BV for posting info about so many different kinds of bands, a handful of which I enjoy a lot and spend my money supporting.

any kind of musician, actor, dancer or performer should know better than to read blog comments about themselves. The VGs are lucky they get to learn their media-management skills now, like before the UK press gets hold of them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 2:13 PM

This is Bullshit. Forget it people. Go have some fun.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 7:41 PM

wow - you people are fucking terrible. some good gossip on the vivian girls and two upcoming bands - and people call the Vegan sleazy?

Get a fucking clue. This IS news - whether or not the Vivian Girls care to address it or not - their record JUST came out - that Frankie STILL drums and plays bass on - and they replaced a member.

No matter the circumstances - it's news.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 8:36 PM

and this all happened in august. so not many people know the story of why one third of an up and coming band (or apparently one that wants to stay unknown) - left the group.

Kudos to BV for giving the L story more coverage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 19, 2008 8:39 PM

This isn't Fleetwood Mac. This is three local girls who struggle to pay rent and drink beers on the weekend and look at the internet. They probably sell 3,000 records total. If that. Maybe In The Red guy can come back and tell us what tiny amount of money everyone's making, an amount which assuredly is not worth the drama and scrutiny you're putting on them.

You're assuredly making more at your bank job or your coffeeshop job or you web design job. They are not famous superstars just because they had the ambition to pick up instruments and tour. Anyone can do that. You can do that. You should probably do that.

Stop acting like a bunch of fucking Perez Hiltons thinking people are entitled to the private drama of a bunch of regular citizens who have regular lives. They are not special people because they play Todd P shows. You can play a Todd P show. Call him, he's very nice.

You're not entitled to anything. The Vivian Girls, however, should be entitled to the same amount of respect you would give anyone in this town. This shit is unfair and uncool.

Posted by Voice Of Reason | October 19, 2008 8:58 PM

^^ 1,849 actually (through last sunday)

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 8:13 AM

i think they ARE special

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 8:57 AM

I find it really upsetting that people that are supposedly liberal/progressive types so easily reduce the vivian girls to sex objects, or say that their achievements are based on their looks.

I mean seriously-- that's some bullshit and totally the thing indie music was supposed to change.

Yes, Frankie is hot. But she's also a shit hot drummer and songwriter that not-coincidentally happened to be a major part of my two favorite albums of 2008.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 12:30 PM

frankie only played on one album this year. the crystal stilts record was recorded like 2 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 12:41 PM

The Crystal Stilts record was recorded four years ago. Frankie, true, is not on it.

Frankie left the Vivian Girls become there was an ultimatum placed on her. And she decided she'd rather play with her friends. Yul's information is correct. I'm wondering if he's someone I know, as a matter of fact. Frankie did in fact play drums and bass, co-wrote, produced and arranged the album. It really is her baby as much, and probably a lot more than, Cassie's, taking nothing away from the latter's talents.

They really should have been more respectful of Frankie, considering all that. And they really should have more concretely adknowledged her contributions. Nuff' said.

I'll say this: I have never, ever seen so much drama surrounding a couple of Brooklyn bands before. I don't know why it all happened, other than the pressure of two bands suddenly becoming much bigger than they were made everyone a little edgy. Or something.

Posted by josiah | October 20, 2008 2:31 PM

Well the LP that's coming out on Slumberland was recorded 2 years ago. But yeah, the EP and single compilation on Woodsist (originally on their own Feathery Tongue label) is even older. I think Woodsist is already sold out of it. It's been in Other Music's top 10 for months now. Why were labels sleeping on them for so long?

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 3:03 PM

Er, my point was more that, she's been involved in two of my favorite bands. I do realize she wasn't on the Crystal Stilts recordings. But while Crystal Stilts were awesome before Frankie, their live show has gotten so much more powerful.

But i think, while everyone is super pro-Frankie (and rightfully so) the sexism of dismissing the viv girls based on their looks and some of the other comments on here are still effed. I dunno, it's just upsetting to see that going on in indie music in 2008.

i just think supporting Frankie, doesn't necessarily mean having to be dismissive of Katy and Cassie's accomplishments or talent. They weren't just puppets, but sang and played on a truly awesome record.

Whatever personal bullshit has gone down, it doesn't change the way i feel about their music.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2008 5:07 PM

Ugh, all of you people who buy into Frankie's psychotic lies are so fucking stupid.
Wait until the next album comes out and realize how little of a loss Frankie was.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 12:03 AM

Vivian girls- Kickball and Cassie are Liars, Spoiled ungrateful, brats that can't see whats right in front of them. and everyone that knows them well knows this. Vivian Girls is a joke and will be totally irrelevent in about a year from now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 1:08 PM

Not to mention airheads. Just based on recent interviews I've seen, check out their pitchfork interview for some genius responses

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 4:16 PM

Can't wait till the next album comes out and it SSSSSSUUUUCCCCKS cocks just like kickball Katy at hardcore show in Jersey.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 4:19 PM

Cant wait for the next VGs album to come out and it SSSUUCCKKS COCK LIKE KICKBALL KATY AT A REGULATIONS SHOW IN JERSEY.

Posted by Anonymous | October 21, 2008 4:23 PM

Who CARES if Frankie left the band or was asked to leave? What difference does that make at all in your life? Zero. Zero difference. It's none of your business. Get over it. I don't know why the media is pressing this so much in interviews--it's neither interesting nor relevant. I love that BV is giving them so much attention, but they should know better than to press them on such stupid, irrelevant gossip. If you want gossip, watch the E channel and stop polluting BV commenting threads.

What I love about the VGs is how laid-back they are. To say that they should have prepped an answer, have something canned, or whatever, is ridiculous. They're just a band. They make music. They're honest. Sure, their might be some conflicting reports out there, but unclear situations happen all the time. It probably was a combination of her wanting to leave and being asked to leave. They're not mutually exclusive.

The VGs have received much sexism and derogatory comments based on being an all female band. To say that they're popular because of their looks is ridiculous; I, along with many of my friends, liked them before we even knew what they looked like. To call them catty or bitchy just because one of their band members left is such an obvious, passive form of sexism that is disgustingly accepted in our society. If a girl gets mad, she's a passive aggressive bitch. If a guy gets mad, he's letting out his natural assertiveness. Nice.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 7:57 PM

I have heard Frankie's lies echoing through the chromium valleys of Osiris like the wings of mega-carrion.
When the conferation finally launched its attack, it was too late. Plumes of smoke were already rising from the cryogenic chambers like ghost hands reaching out of a temporary heaven.
Into sweet sleep I commend the souls of the valiant Kubatubian Guard. Awake in the warm and well-lit halls and eat and drink your fill.
"It is safe and warm here," Col Cassie said. "Even for South Kubatubia."

Posted by Martian | December 7, 2008 1:22 AM

new unreleased Vivian Girls interview! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjeBeuUTgCU

Posted by thebeets | December 8, 2008 8:00 PM

KATYG3!!! Long live the camgirl!

Posted by anonymous | January 21, 2009 9:08 AM

Posted by lily | May 28, 2009 8:10 AM

vivian girls arent too shabby imo

Posted by bulldog training | January 11, 2010 7:27 PM

then you havent listened their more recent stuff

Posted by husky training | January 20, 2010 6:44 PM

Can I use your post as a topic on a new post that i'm working on? I will link back to you so my readers can find you

Posted by HuskyInsider | February 2, 2011 5:24 AM