Posted in To Do | music on October 23, 2008

by Bill Pearis

Sharon Van Etten
Sharon Van Etten

Even if you don't have a badge, CMJ (Oct 21-25 in NYC) can be overwhelming... especially these days with the proliferation of day parties, unofficial showcases and afterparties. Running around like a crazy person trying to catch everyone you want to see can be fun, but sometimes it's not such a bad idea just to pick one place and stay there. With that in mind, I've picked one day party and one evening showcase for each of the five days, as well as late night parties where applicable. The guide to Thursday (10/23) is below...

DAYTIME: Towing the company line, the Brooklyn Vegan day party at Pianos does have a lineup that lines up pretty close to what I've written about here (The Muslims, Wye Oak, UK dance-rock act Friendly Fires), not to mention Crystal Antlers, Peasant, Sebastien Grainger, Phosphorescent, and more. Try out a song from every band on the bill:

time (PM), band, stage
12:00 Pretty & Nice (downstairs)
12:15 Twi the Humble Feather (upstairs)
12:45 Eagle Seagull (downstairs)
01:00 James Jackson Toth (upstairs)
01:30 The Muslims (downstairs)
01:45 Shad (upstairs)
02:15 Japanese Motors (downstairs)
02:30 Peasant (upstairs)
03:00 Friendly Fires (downstairs)
03:15 Sharon Van Etten (upstairs)
03:45 Crystal Antlers (downstairs)
04:00 Pwrfl POWER (upstairs)
04:30 Sebastien Grainger (downstairs)
04:45 Wye Oak (upstairs)
05:30 Phosphorescent (upstairs)
EVENING: If there's one place to be Thursday night, it's the giant night of rock scheduled at Music Hall of WIlliamsburg: Indie rock legends Mission of Burma, wild man King Khan and the BBQ Show, and Jay Reatard (one of his many CMJ shows), with a break from the noise care of Seattle'sThe Dutchess and the Duke (who also play Pianos on Friday).

LATE NIGHT: Hit Studio @ Webster Hall for one of my favorite new NYC bands, Amazing Baby, plus Japanese Motors who also play the BV day party earlier in the day. It's free with RSVP.

See also
* the CMJ week in Dance w/ Showtrotta
* the 2008 guide to Hip Hop shows & panels @ CMJ
* the 2008 guide to Heavy Music shows & panels @ CMJ
* more (popular, previously posted) CMJ show reminders
* 10 bands/artists to see @ the CMJ Music Marathon
* listen to KEXP live CMJ sessions all this week
* free BrooklyVegan day party on Saturday

I can't understand how you continue to hype Amazing Baby. There is absolutely no explanation for this phenomenon other than that you know someone in the band. I demand full disclosure.

In all honesty, Amazing Baby are sickeningly self-righteous and make absolutely unlistenable 80s hair metal. Atrocious. I have never been so disgusted by a performance in my entire life as when I had to sit through their entitled, over-the-top glam-nonsense at Mercury Lounge.

Your constant hyping of this band calls into question every other musical judgment you make on here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 8:41 AM

Or, he might just think the band is fun. Get a grip asshole.

Posted by Reg! | October 23, 2008 8:44 AM

great this post is early today!!!
or right on time rather.

Posted by gregory | October 23, 2008 8:46 AM

Full disclosure: Bill LOVES them. I've never met or talked to them and Bill also does not know then. Gabi photographed them yesterday for this website at the NME showcase and loved them. Lori might have hated them at Mercury Lounge the other night - she definitely agrees with you on their fashion sense. Vice liked them enough to ask them to play their party tonight. I asked them to play a party, but they couldn't do it.

You can hate them all you want. I won't accuse you of holding a personal grudge against them.

live video:

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 23, 2008 8:54 AM

i love the smell of haterade in the morning.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 8:59 AM

Indaba Music is throwing an amazing show for FREE!!! at Crash Mansion on the Bowery. It's 18+, so everyone can come... there will indeed be a bar, and a lot of fun dance-pop, so perhaps start your thursday night with us...

low anthem. 12.30p
dj smash 8.3p
menya 8.5p
micachu 9.40p
pragmatic 10.10p
freezepop 10.40p
vinyllife 11.50p

Come check out what Indaba is all about, and have a damn good time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 9:11 AM

that guys guitar is gross

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 9:18 AM

Am curious about Janelle Monae (who's at Bowery), but don't know about the rest of that line-up. And a CMJ showcase probably isn't the place for a full-on Futureworld love android pop blitz.

Posted by J | October 23, 2008 9:19 AM

Dear Brooklynvegan,
I was so excited for your day party today until i was on Oh My Rockness and it said it was 21 plus. Is this true? and if so why didnt you make that clear when you wrote about it. I just checked and you didnt. I'm not that mad, i just dont get why you/everyother showcase this week have to have the shows 21plus. I just enjoy the music. Im not looking to get wasted. Your day party and others are the reason why NYC is so ageist. You think with all the new good bands that are so young that things will change-but no they dont. maybe i'm wrong and it's just misinformation or maybe you just ruined my whole goddamn day. I awate a response.

Posted by wtf | October 23, 2008 9:41 AM

any other good day parties today? doesn't seem like there's much going on during the day today....

people, post some options so i have somewhere to go when i get to pianos and the line is around the block...

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 9:41 AM

I doubt its brooklyn vegans fault its 21+, more likely the venue doesnt want the liability of a bunch of shitfaced 18 yo kids ruining things. Get a fake id like everyone else did when we were underage.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:01 AM

Anybody have set times for tonight at MHOW? Can you get into the show with just a badge?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:12 AM

Does anyone know where I might be able to find tickets for Zack and Miri at Union Sq tonight? It is part of the CMJ movie fest, but I cannot find individual tix anywhere.

Posted by Bob Roberts | October 23, 2008 10:21 AM

My friend who has a badge said this show you still have to pay the five bucks. But it's sold out now so I don't know how to handle that now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:21 AM

Brooklyn Vegan, that was one of the best, most astute responses I have ever seen posted on any blog to a person that fires off criticism stated as fact when really it is just a matter of personal taste. Hats off to you.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:27 AM

i'm gonna check out the indaba showcase at crash mansion. It's 18+ and it starts at noon. and freezepop is playing!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:31 AM

Ditto BV. You are great. And Bill, thanks for the reports, they are much appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:32 AM

Somebody call the police!! I just watched that youtube video of Amazing Baby and both my eyes and ears were raped. Unlike anon 8:41, my background on the band is limited (having ignored them until now), and thank god for that.

BV, I definitely respect you guys, but jeez AB is the modern equivalent of Toto.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:33 AM

The Music Hall show tonight isn't a CMJ show, so good luck turning up with your badges.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:42 AM

or Gin Blossoms? or Nelson? I agree, just not my type of music, (no one should use those guitar riffs unless the band is Iron Maiden)

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:43 AM

Go see Sharon! She's great!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:08 AM

First of all, don't attack my Amazing Baby hate until you've actually listened to them/seen their act. Let me reiterate one thing: these guys are probably teenagers, maybe early 20s, essentially unheard of, and they have BACKUP SINGERS! I'm sorry, but that's utter pretension. And it'd be fine if their music was OK--but it's awful. Please, take a listen (full disclosure on my part: they have 1 song that is OK). Their act presupposes that they have a legion of fans and are to be worshiped. It's frightening the level of delusion there. The lead singer is so self-aggrandizing in his performance... Ugh. I could go on. Sorry. I love so much music that it's actually very strange that I'm this opposed to a band.

Anyway, I LOVE BK Vegan. Great blog, typically great recommendations, etc. I'm very skeptical, generally, and for BV to hype a band this awful raises my suspicions. That's all.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:17 AM

they're not horrendous, but backup singers??? that's seriously lame.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:36 AM

Another all-night/late night-ish choice at Death by Audio: the On The Moon Music showcase with...Ovum / Artanker Convoy / The End of the World / Dirty on Purpose / Coin Under Tongue / Violent Bullshit / Cheeseburger / French Miami / Purse Snatchers / Neckbeard Telecaster / The Ettes / Howlies

8pm - 2AM $5, no badges. Free beer while it lasts.

And it's true, I love Amazing Baby.

Posted by bill p | October 23, 2008 11:38 AM

Bill...you're completely boggling my mind right now.
I mean, I typically enjoy your contributions, so I'm baffled.

Let me just be sure of one thing: you've seen them live? How do you reconcile your enjoyment of the music (which I admit is totally subjective) with their stage presence/self-righteousness? I mean, that lead singer! The lead guitarist! The backup singers! They don't infuriate you? I felt like I was watching U2 meets Spinal Tap...

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:43 AM

the backup singers are cool because it makes the sound bigger........ I think that's what they're after?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:44 AM

woh! what is self righteous about their stage presence?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 11:56 AM

everyone should go see sharon. she's great.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 12:10 PM

Big hearts for Sharon. Go see her.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 12:16 PM

Am I crazy or does CMJ totally suck?!

The good thing about NYC is that you can, on any night, see really great music in a convenient setting and for (relatively) low prices. CMJ converts small, low-key venues into inconvenient corporate concert experiences. It's exhausting.

Posted by me | October 23, 2008 12:24 PM

Wut happnz tomorrow?

Posted by Barf | October 23, 2008 12:48 PM

Hi Hater.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:04 PM

Hey all, upstairs is running 45 minutes late
@ Pianos in NYC, so if you are looking at this NOW, The lineup for upstairs looks like...

time (PM), band, stage
01:00 James Jackson Toth (upstairs)
01:45 Twi the Humble Feather (upstairs)
02:30 Shad (upstairs)
03:15 Peasant (upstairs)
04:00 Sharon Van Etten (upstairs)
04:45 Pwrfl POWER (upstairs)
05:30 Wye Oak (upstairs)
06:15 Phosphorescent (upstairs)

Downstairs is close to on time and looks like:

time (PM), band, stage
12:00 Pretty & Nice (downstairs)
12:45 Eagle Seagull (downstairs)
01:30 The Muslims (downstairs)
02:15 Japanese Motors (downstairs)
03:00 Friendly Fires (downstairs)
03:45 Crystal Antlers (downstairs)
04:30 Sebastien Grainger (downstairs)

Posted by BBG | October 23, 2008 1:09 PM

TONITE!!!
FRICTION NYC & F*CK YEAH FEST present
>BEST FWENDS (austin, tx)
>>CRYSTAL ANTLERS (long beach, ca)
>>>NINJASONIK (brooklyn, ny)

@ Cake Shop / 152 Ludlow Street, New York, NY
**FREE** (just show up!)
1AM - 4AM

FREE PBR while it lasts!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:23 PM

Go see Women, whereever they're playing, they've got roughly 70 shows left this week. Both sets at the Cake Shop afternoons have been fantastic. The sleeper hit of CMJ.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:24 PM

Link for that Death by Audio show? Thanks

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:29 PM

While i agree Women have been awesome the last two afternoons, i wouldnt say they were a sleeper hit, i think lots of people were looking forward to them coming. but shhhh! if people dont know, fuck em!

Posted by sloweducation | October 23, 2008 1:38 PM

run, don't walk, to see WHOMADEWHO or LATE OF THE PIER tonight.

Dance and be merry.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:41 PM

Am I the only one that works during the day in this city???? Afternoon shows on a weekday, must be nice to be independently wealthy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 1:45 PM

i'm with 1:45pm, i've always hated CMJ, simply for the fact that I can't get a badge because I won't spend that kind of money to be cool, and furthermore I can't take a week off of work for this shit. So, if you're lucky enough to be a journalist and get your job to coincide with your music consumption, or if you work in the music industry in some other way, or if you're merely absurdly wealthy and have no reason to get a job, then you're in. I can't figure out what's indie about this, except that you get your name in print if you're in one of these obscure bands.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 2:15 PM

seconding the request for set times for the MHOW show? I know doors 7:30, show 8:30, mission of burma headlining, but nothing more... i read on one site that jay reatard's opening, but i'm not sure if i can trust that. and every other site lists the bands in different orders, so that's no help

why oh why are venues/bands opposed to listing set times?

Posted by kate | October 23, 2008 2:38 PM

Any ideas on what to do tonight. My day is pretty solid, but nothing is really jumping out at me from like 9pm - 1am. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 2:42 PM

jay's playing at 830. dutchess and the duke at 915. king khan 10 or 1015 i forget. mission of burma 1115. see ya there

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 2:47 PM

is the MHOW show sold out? what are the chances of getting in if i show up at 10?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 3:30 PM

Kate, if you call the venue on the day of the show they can usually tell you set times.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 3:45 PM

you can schedule your vacation time to coincide with the fest, if you care that much?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 3:49 PM

start a band. get into CMJ. get a free badge.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 4:12 PM

Jay's definitely opening at 8:30, he's got another gig later tonight to get to.

I think Women will be a sleeper hit cause while lots of us were anticipating thier shows, they're playing so many that I think more people will see them by chance or by word of mouth than had meant to. And they will leave happy, I'm sure.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 4:16 PM

I saw Amazing Baby open for Bloc Party and people were throwing empty beer cups at them they were so bad.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 4:26 PM

if i'm on the les tonight whats the best option?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 4:37 PM

best show tonite is not part of cmj. it's magnetic fields in nj. later.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 4:41 PM

bill, ignore the haters i love them too. they weren't good at the bloc party show but they tore the house down when they played mhow opening for a place to bury strangers that same week. roseland SUCKS. AND they have only been playing shows since May of THIS YEAR.

Posted by nora | October 23, 2008 5:34 PM

This Rhapsody Rocks poster (http://flickr.com/search/?q=Rhapsody%20Rocks%20NYC%20CMJ%202008&w=all&s=int) may give you a better idea of the order of bands at MHOW.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 5:36 PM

joe pug.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2008 10:54 PM

Free PBR all day at the Bell House tomorrow for Gothamist House, booyah

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2008 1:28 AM

MHOW tonight had the lamest crowd. How was no one into Jay Reatard at all. Anyone who was there is a total berk. The only slight highlight was the modest little mosh pit we got going for Khan/BBQ, but still. The place was barely half-full most of the night, and for Burma it was at best three-quarters full, not that most of the people knew what they were seeing. Totally lame. The largest turn out was for The Duke, who are solid, don't get me wrong, but with a bill like that, you don't just sit downstairs at the bar. The majority of people there seemed to be on guestlists and couldn't have given an eff anyway. Shame, a line up like that got wasted on idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2008 2:07 AM

I loved the Rhapsody Rocks concert tonight. All 4 bands were all really excellent and performed at 100%. So many great moments. I wish Rhapsody would put on shows all the time - I never heard the sound at MHOW sound so great as tonight.
Does anyone know where the film of this show will appear?

Posted by Renee | October 24, 2008 2:38 AM

To me it appeared that the show was most packed during King Khan (really excellent) and was noticably smaller for MOB. I thought the crowd seemed to really like JR - (great set!)

Posted by Renee | October 24, 2008 2:45 AM