Posted in music | pictures on November 20, 2008

photos by Ryan Muir

AC/DC

AC/DC played their third November NYC-area show at the Izod Center in NJ last night (11/20). One week earlier it was two nights at Madison Square Garden. Both of those setlists and a lot more pictures from Jersey, below...

AC/DC

AC/DC, which hasn't toured in eight years, played two shows last week at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The band still possesses all its members who are most known for being a part of AC/DC: lead singer Brian Johnson, 61, lead guitarist Angus Young, 53, back-up guitarist Malcolm Young, 55, bassist Cliff Williams, 58, and drummer Phil Rudd, 54.

The Answer, an Irish band, started off the night, and was surprisingly enjoyable. The group didn't have a long set, and was playing to a less-than-half-filled MSG. They have a style very similar to AC/DC, and lead singer Cormac Neeson, who has a striking resemblance to Robert Plant, sounds remarkably like Brian Johnson.

As soon as the lights went off for the main act, a wave of electricity hit the crowd, inducing goose bumps and butterflies across the now-packed arena.

A cartoon was shown on the three big screens around the stage and featured Angus Young powering the engine of a locomotive that was speeding down the tracks, about to hit a blockade. As the train crashed on the screen, an actual train appeared on the stage with flames, sparks and smoke. Led by legendary guitarist Angus Young, the band came out on to the stage to the hit off the new "Black Ice" album, "Rock N' Roll Train." [The Daily Collegian]

More tour dates HERE. And the set lists:

MSG, NYC - Nov 12 & 13, 2008 (same) setlist
"Rock 'N' Roll Train"
"Hell Ain't a Bad Place To Be"
"Back in Black"
"Big Jack"
"Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
"Thunderstruck"
"Black Ice"
"The Jack"
"Hells Bells"
"Shoot to Thrill"
"War Machine"
"Anything Goes"
"You Shook Me All Night Long"
"TNT"
"Whole Lotta Rosie"
"Let There Be Rock"

Encore:
"Highway To Hell"
"For Those About to Rock"

Awesome! I mean who the fuck would possible care about this?

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:09 PM

still sucking ass after all these years! god bless 'em!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:27 PM

no love for The Answer opening? they were fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:33 PM

Not even as good as Whitesnake.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:40 PM

"no love for The Answer opening? they were fucking awesome."

I belive the quoted review above mentions who opened, but really I mean who cares?

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:40 PM

That was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Too bad so many of you were busy being cool, you missed out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:44 PM

I'd be pissed going to night number two...no Shoot To Thrill. Actually...I'm probably pissed to have gone to either night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 5:59 PM

Ugliest band ever

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 6:06 PM

I prefer Artie/DC

Fire!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 6:15 PM

You guys are such effing snobs. Are you kidding? You're hating on AC/DC? Really? Remove your lips from Bradford Cox's ass long enough to appreciate some good old fashioned rock 'n roll. How do you live with your horribly pretentious selves?

Posted by pat | November 20, 2008 6:20 PM

I prefer High Pitch Eric doing Artie/DC

FIIIIIYYYYAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 6:25 PM

Seriously. Anyone hating on AC/DC needs to get that stick out of their ass.
Nice pics Ryan!

Posted by Old and Bitter | November 20, 2008 6:31 PM

Ha, the EXACT same set lists. It's complaint fodder.

All kidding aside, seeing "Thunderstruck" live would kick everyone's ass.

Posted by Tito | November 20, 2008 6:38 PM

You call that a concert? Where's the laptop?

Posted by Huh | November 20, 2008 6:53 PM

"Ha, the EXACT same set lists. It's complaint fodder.

All kidding aside, seeing "Thunderstruck" live would kick everyone's ass."

Actually it looks like they only played Shoot To Thrill on the first night.

Yes...Thunderstruck destroyed. I am very glad to have finally seen them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 7:10 PM

yeah, ryan, these photos are really great. nice work!

Posted by kyle | November 20, 2008 7:24 PM

This looks incredible. AC/DC is awesome. Thank you for the pictures!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 7:28 PM

Ryan Muir = Luckiest dude on earth

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 7:34 PM

He's not lucky...he takes good pictures. That's why he gets to go to all these things.

Posted by Ansel Adams | November 20, 2008 7:49 PM

This band's publicity machine should take a breather, already.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:10 PM

If you're really s***-talking AC/DC, you know nothing about music and you embarass yourself in front of all who've read this.

Posted by 17Vargas17 | November 20, 2008 9:11 PM

lol at the same setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:30 PM

glad i went the first night and saw the longer set. they were so fucking loud, it was awesome

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:48 PM

AC/DC is a band that gives it up every night, no doubt.

But ultimately, what they give up is way too redundant. It just is.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:50 PM

Anyone who is hating on ACDC is a loser and is probably sitting at their computer crasterbating to their my chemical romance album. ACDC Rules and there is no doubt about it. ANNNNNGGGUUUUSSSSSS

Posted by Dooder City | November 20, 2008 10:06 PM

boring

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:31 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:41 PM

To Those about to rock (and Ryan)---

we salute you.

Also, there were some hot rocker chicks at the meadowlands show. And pro baseball players. Just sayin.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 1:19 AM

"They played the same set both nights, including shoot to thrill. I was there. The post is wrong."

setlists combined.

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 21, 2008 1:45 AM

Bon Scott-era AC/DC was really fucking good. Granted, Brian Johnson is a bit of a tool. At least they're unpretentious. I'd rather see AC/DC today than some pussy band like Vampire Weekend though, that's for sure. But 60 bucks is a bit steep.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 5:24 AM

What are you all doing in your 50s?

Oh that's right: still sitting at a computer feeling shitty about yourselves.

Posted by greg | November 21, 2008 7:42 AM

I WAS THERE!!! Awesome show! I went batsh*t when they did "Let There Be Rock."

Posted by kaidez | November 21, 2008 8:13 AM

I feel like I need to take a shower after looking at these pics.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 8:19 AM

I've officially lost any respect I have ever had for BrooklynVegan. Not for the blogger(s) that posted this review and pics, but for all these hipster wannabe fucks that sit on here and comment all day and show what ignorant "fans" they really are with absolutely no knowledge or appreciation for any of the artists that came before this generation. Goodbye and good riddance.

Posted by Phuc Hu | November 21, 2008 8:22 AM

These photos are fucking excellent. Kudos, Ryan.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 8:40 AM

@ 8:22 AM:

i agree with you, but seriously, you're just now having that revelation?

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 9:06 AM

If I came here for the insightful comments, I'd have left long ago. Excellent source of music news, tour dates, ticket on-sales, etc? Yes. Treasure trove of intelligent commentary and refined readers? No.

AC/DC fucking rocks, and I'm 32 btw.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 9:14 AM

I'm 45, and, yeah - AC/DC rocks. But what's the point?

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 9:23 AM

again @ 8:22 AM:

Really? You didn't know that 90% of the people that post on this site are hipster douches? These people wouldn't know a rock star if it fell on them. They'd rather hang out with the lead singer of Vampire Weekend then David Lee Roth. C'mon, is there a choice?

Posted by Ron | November 21, 2008 9:30 AM

AC/DC will eat any of your gay ass hipster keyboard new wave bullshit.

Bring fuckin rock BACK!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 10:01 AM

I was at the IZOD center for AC/DC and those guys ALWAYS put on good show. Although I will say that the feedback coming from Angus' guitar sucked for the first bunch of songs, but by the second half my hearing was sufficiently damaged enough that I couldn't hear it anymore. LOL. And, yeah, Let There Be Rock...wow. That's all anyone can really say, just WOW! Angus is effing amazing.

GREAT PICS by the way!

Posted by Jessica | November 21, 2008 11:25 AM

yeah, thunderstruck live is insane. i caught night two at the garden. worth every penny.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 11:26 AM

ACDC fucking Rocks- The new album is one of their best- shove your fleet foxes and your fucked up bullshit up your hipster asses

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 12:19 PM

I just find their music(for the most part) to be annoying and I don't consider myself a fan. That doesn't mean I don't know about or enjoy music from the good ol days.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 1:16 PM

ACDC needs to hang it up already.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2008 1:34 PM

AC/DC rocks all your posers mothers bloody assholes!! stick and flick the switch bitches!! AC/DC rocks!!

Posted by Joe | November 21, 2008 8:45 PM

Despite what some are saying on this page I'm looking forward to Sunday nights show at the Excel Center in St Paul. I've been to every AC/DC concert since the Black in Black tour...Took my son to the last tour when he was 16 and this year he bought me my ticket!

Posted by Mn Geezer | November 22, 2008 7:06 PM

I don't mind AC/DC I just can't believe how many people come on here to hate on fleet foxes or Vampire weekend or bradford cox when clearly the people who listen to those bands are more who this blog is aimed at...

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2008 7:21 PM

i'd 10x rather see ac/dc than dan deacon, crystal castles, or whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2008 10:24 PM

I love acdc. I also love deerhunter.

Great photos Ryan!

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 12:16 PM

I find it comical that all the loser's posting negative comments are here in the first place. It's probably because they couldnt get tickets or mommy/gf/wifey wouldnt let them go. Yea sure, AC/DC music remains the same, what did you expect? Obviously not true fans at all, go back to your pop/rap crap, spank your little monkey and leave the head bangin to the real rockers ya posers! Besides, you'll probably be wearing depends and watching re-runs of the Price is Right when your their age.

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2008 3:59 PM

acdc is the best band u will ever see and those dickheads who think who acdc is stupid shall burn in hell:).

Posted by Brandon | February 8, 2009 9:00 PM

AC/DC rocks! They're 1 of the best rock bands alive or that ever existed. Saw them 3 times this year (the 4th will be in Jersey Jul. 31st) & will see them as many times as I can. They give a great show. If anyone who saw them, didn't like it, you're not a rock'n'roll fan, so pack up your bags & go somewhere else. Joana.Middle Island, Long Island.

Posted by Joana | June 24, 2009 6:04 PM

please all you punks who think they know what music is supposed to sound like never heard brian johnson screaming Bedlum in Belgium,get a life and stop showing your jelious side. these guys worked their asses off to get where they are, show some fucking respect to the real monsters of rock,AC/DC. THE BEST FUCKING BAND ON EARTH......

Posted by dave d | October 7, 2009 9:03 PM

Posted by classic video games | October 31, 2009 8:37 PM

Despite what some are saying on this page I'm looking forward Sunday night show at the Excel Center in St. Paul. I've been in every AC / DC since the Black tour concert at the Black ... took my son to the last tour, when he was 16 and this year I bought my ticket!

Posted by microsoft points | February 13, 2010 1:20 AM

Yeah, I don't know why people would post negative comments on this post about a legendary band, ACDC. The pictures are amazing, by the way. The quality is stunning and the perspective in some of the pictures are really epic. Great job.

Posted by Runes of Magic Diamond Generator | October 31, 2010 3:04 PM