Posted in music | pictures on November 24, 2008

photos by Dese'Rae L. Stage

Amanda Palmer

...And this was blatant Friday night at Webster Hall, where [Amanda Palmer] left the piano bench, parted the audience, and made her way to the top of the bar for the evening's final song -- an acoustic, bittersweet rendition of Radiohead's "Creep" that also had her strumming a ukulele. Despite her epic talents, Palmer remains pleasantly humble and relatable. In fact, she's someone you'd want to clink glasses of Merlot with and call your BFF." [BlackBook]
More pictures from Friday's show below...

Amanda Palmer

and the beginning of a new related documentary...

I went into this show not really a huge fan. I came out fucking blown away. She's a powerhouse of a performer, invested in every song, generous and witty & totally committed to the moment.

My favorite moment was her duet with the violinist [don't know the name of the song it led into] -- their interplay was so joyous and instinctive.

Oh & Danger ensemble added a strong performance art element that visually complemented most songs.

Does anyone know the name of the piece/composer played by the classical pianist who went on before Amanda? Sounded like Bartok. She was fucking rad herself.

Posted by www.snailcrow.com | November 24, 2008 3:48 PM

Seriously...who listens to this crap???

Posted by MusicSlob | November 24, 2008 3:49 PM

Apparently he solo album has already sold "a gazillion copies."

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 3:59 PM

wow that's terrible. glad i saw a preview of that documentary. i can ignore this garbage from now on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 4:11 PM

Personally I thought the show was awesome!

Unfortunately I missed the openers, had wanted to also see Zoe Keating.

Posted by Lars | November 24, 2008 4:56 PM

I guess hating on artists by non artists still exists..Its funny...

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 5:08 PM

Lars: Zoe's not playing this leg of the tour, it seems.

Posted by des! | November 24, 2008 5:43 PM

"I guess hating on artists by non artists still exists..Its funny..."

yeah because you need to be an artist to judge one. fucking moron.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 5:53 PM

‘Interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.’ — Susan Sontag

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 6:51 PM

This is what real talent is, you Animal Collective worshiping, trustfund gentrificators.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 7:06 PM

7:06, Fuck you. Seriously, fuck you. Mark my words, Animal Collective are going to be rightly hailed as geniuses decades after this chick & her theatrics have been forgotten. And "gentrificators" isn't a word...nor do I have a trust fund.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 7:58 PM

She looks sturdy.

Bring it on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 8:07 PM

nothing says genius like nonstop screeching and pointless noise, just like the thousand other bands with the same schtick

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 8:24 PM

HEY. ANIMAL COLLECTIVE, AMANDA PALMER, THE DRESDEN DOLLS, AND PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER BAND YOU LISTEN TO PROBABLY SUCKS TOTAL ASS.

Posted by sixtypercentgrey | November 24, 2008 9:17 PM

Music is shit in principle.

Posted by Anonymous | November 24, 2008 10:58 PM

another productive bv comment string

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2008 1:20 AM

7:06, I didn't know air-guitar could be considered high art

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2008 1:44 AM

I LOVE THE HATE PEOPLE ITS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN;) I LOVE IT I LOVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU AND I THINK THERE NEEDS TO MORE PEOPLE WITH NOTHING TO DO WITH THERE TIME BUT TELL EVERYONE THEY SUCK I WANNA KISS YOU ON YOUR TINY PENIS:) KEEP GIVING US GREAT THINGS TO READ ON TOUR. MAKING FUN OF YOU DURING SOLD OUT SHOWS NEVER GETS OLD;)

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE, AMANDA PALMER, THE DRESDEN DOLLS
NONE OF THESE BANDS SUCK HATE SUCKS GET MADE ABOUT REAL THINGS Q T PIES.

Posted by lovesyourspunk | November 25, 2008 1:54 AM

if gentrificators was not a word till now,
from now on it is.
great contribution 7:06, thank you!!
i'm gonna use and spread the word,
i see so many of them around me.

Posted by danny boy | November 25, 2008 6:03 AM

make with the hairy pit pictures, already

Posted by Harry Crack | November 25, 2008 9:10 AM

Is Amanda Palmer one of Rosie Palmer's five sisters?

Posted by Anonymous | November 25, 2008 3:02 PM

"Lars: Zoe's not playing this leg of the tour, it seems."

Zoe Keating is scoring a ballet live in Valencia, Spain. It was an opportunity she couldn't pass up, so she cancelled on this part of the Amanda's tour.

I considered going to this show until Zoe cancelled, but I had no idea who Amanada Palmer was until I watched that Youtube clip.

Posted by Aaron | November 25, 2008 9:22 PM

why do we...crucify ourselves...everyday?

Posted by greg | November 26, 2008 2:44 AM

wow, I know i'm probably late but just felt a bit nostalgic. In reponse to peoples opinions on that this show sucked or even worse!! Amanda Palmer's music sucks!!! ...which suprisingly is a majority of the comments.
WTF you douches on!?!
This show, in my opinion....
One of my favorites! Amanda Palmer is THE artist who i consider most devoted to her fans, and her shows deffintely expose that...REAL FUCKING RAW BEAUTY MOTHER FUCKERS! Learn it! Digest it!
Her shows are absolutly everything a show should consist of & MORE.
As for her music, Common now....really?
Her music is more profound and beautiful than more than 50% of the shit out there.
BE REAL.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2009 8:29 PM

Amanda Palmer is a clownish, mediocre performer and an ambitious media leech; the rock version of Paris Hilton. Palmer has stated herself that she can't play, can't sing and can't act, truer words never spoken...but of course that won't stop her from contriving dopey stunts to get attention. What a sad society we live in that a vulgar and marginal performer like Palmer can get press coverage in order to prattle on about her idiot philosophies, which are so dull and intellectually vapid. Palmer is predicable and will continue to manufacture mind-numbingly dumb songs to seek attention. Even with her stunts, no one will buy her crappy record. Go back to Twitter and leave the rest of us in peace.

Posted by Reese | September 7, 2009 3:16 AM

The record did not sell copies, that's why Roadrunner couldn't sink anymore money into this loser. Crackwhore with a vermin-filled dress doesn't cut it in the real word.

Oh yeah, one more little thing. Amanda "I can't sing" Palmer has no talent.

Posted by recordguy | October 29, 2009 4:24 AM

Ya know....I can't stand Lady Gaga but she is at least a hundred times better than Amanda Palmer.

Posted by Dan | November 7, 2010 9:54 PM

My girlfriend & her 20 year old,ultra liberal, "any cause that comes down the pike" daughter LOVE this garbage. Unfortunately I am subjected to her screeching melodrama on almost a daily basis. I'd rather listen to stray cats fuck. The act is lame, the music is dreck and her entire stage persona is simply, well, irritating. If you're as well known as she is and STILL not really selling albums & playing 3500 seat arenas, then that should tell you something. Sure, she has a hardcore fan base, but they're small and completely deluded that she is a "musician"....performance artist, perhaps but more of a butcher than a musician. I could walk up on stage and shit on a picture of Princess Di while reading Chaucer and call THAT "performance art", too....doesn't make me an artist.

Posted by TruthFairy | June 2, 2012 1:15 AM