Posted in music | tour dates on November 7, 2008

Butthole Surfers @ Webster Hall, NYC - July 29, 2008 (Jonny Leather)
Butthole Surfers @ Webster Hall

According to the Butthole Surfers' site, "The reunited lineup of Gibby Haynes, Paul Leary, Jeff Pinkus, King Coffey and Teresa Taylor will be playing all upcoming dates." And though they don't have the show they're playing on December 12th at Warsaw in Brooklyn listed there, I'm guessing it still applies especially since that's who played their last NYC show which was at Webster Hall. Black Dice open the upcoming Brooklyn show and tickets are on sale (thx all). All dates below...

Butthole Surfers - 2008/09 Tour Dates
Dec 5 - 7 - Minehead, England - The Nightmare Before Christmas presented by All Tomorrow's Parties (curated by the Melvins and Mike Patton)
Dec 9 - Barcelona, Spain - Sala Apolo 2 -
Dec 12 - Brooklyn, NY - Warsaw

3 dates? that's it? that's not a "tour".

Posted by goofball | November 7, 2008 1:50 PM

Warsaw show is 12/12/08

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:55 PM

"Warsaw show is 12/12/08

vacation/glasses needed.

the story there was: Glanced at Ticketmaster. Saw 1/7. Now I realize I was looking at the on-sale date aka 11/7 aka today.

Fixed, thanks!

Posted by brooklynvegan | November 7, 2008 2:00 PM

if you're wondering why this matters, read the thread about what happened last time, when they played Webster Hall.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 2:01 PM

Hell yes! Great Line-up Happy Winter For All...keep the threads positive maaaaaaaan.

Posted by Brussel Sprout | November 7, 2008 2:08 PM

"I'd like to point out that Butthole Surfers have gone out of their way to NOT play at a Bowery Presents venue."

So they picked a Live Nation venue? Sounds like everyone loses in this one, though I can't wait to see Butthole Surfers at Warsaw!

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 2:12 PM

Went out of their way??? They are probably banned from Bowery Presents venues!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 2:12 PM

Please save your money and stay home and listen to the records. The Butthole Surfers have never been a great live band and they proved this in spades at the Webster Hall show, and I'm not even taking Gibby's removal from the stage into consideration. It was painful to watch/listen.

Posted by TWB | November 7, 2008 2:53 PM

Warsaw is not a live nation venue - duh.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 3:42 PM

"Warsaw is not a live nation venue - duh."

yes it is - duh

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 3:52 PM

huh? Butthole Surfers are a legendary live band. can we get tickets sans surcharge at Nokia theater? anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 3:56 PM

warsaw is absolutely a live nation venue

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 4:01 PM

"can we get tickets sans surcharge at Nokia theater? anyone know?"

Warsaw = Live Nation = Irving Plaza box office

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 4:02 PM

Butthole Surfers were great at Webster Hall. TWB is probably the soundman that got decked.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 4:03 PM

"

"can we get tickets sans surcharge at Nokia theater? anyone know?"

Warsaw = Live Nation = Irving Plaza box office"

and at Warsaw and Earwax ...

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 4:33 PM

TWB clearly doesn't know what s/he's talking about.

Butthole Surfers may be irrelevant in 2008, but in the late-'80s they were the most consistently mind-blowing band out there as a live act. Of all the 200+ shows I've seen in my life, the dozen or so Buttholes gigs from that era I saw are still permanently etched on my brain. Nothing could touch them then, and nothing can now.

That doesn't mean that they're still mind-blowing, or even very good, these days. But to say that they were "never" a great live is to betray great ignorance.

Posted by R | November 7, 2008 8:16 PM

"The Butthole Surfers have never been a great live band"

What the fuck are you talking about. They were at one time the greatest band on the planet.

Posted by strfkr | November 7, 2008 9:54 PM

I stand by what I said and there are many who will agree with me. Saw them in '86, '89, '95 and '08. They make great records and I always hope the live show will be amazing, but it's not.

Posted by TWB | November 8, 2008 12:46 PM

you don;t like live music obviously.

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2008 3:15 PM

at danceteria, gibby came out in a bloody dress with a pregnant belly that soon exploded and cockroach confetti sprayed everyone...then he had sex right on stage in the fog with some buxom lass...then get up and ranted on the bullhorn then went back down in the fog...totally nude...blood and roaches. Anyone who says these were not one of the most amazing live shows really knows nothing about the infamous late 80's nyc shows. There is more to a "show" than music my friend. Danceteria had some license problems after word got out about the live sex. They were soon banned by many clubs and had bouncers all over them at the Cat Club show.

strfkr you ignorant slut!

Posted by jojo jones | November 10, 2008 1:25 PM

was the 'ignorant slut' dig intended for TWB?

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2008 11:52 PM

Butthole Surfers are still one of my favorite bands and had a great influence on me and my paintings in the eighties. The psychedelic nightmare that IS human existence is very well simulated in their music. Anybody know where I can get some good acid?

Posted by Rich | December 1, 2008 4:35 PM

one ticket $25 plus $13 !!!!!!!!! surcharge!
that's over half the ticket price. OUCH!
i paid it, can we have a full show this time!

Posted by andi | December 11, 2008 7:11 PM

hey, i was pretty wasted, that was paul right? he looked younger & happier than i remember from past recent shows. f'in great show.

Posted by whatsittoya? | December 13, 2008 4:10 PM