Posted in music on November 4, 2008

David Byrne @ the Paramount, Austin, TX (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
david Byrne

Pardon the bulk mailing. I Can't Vote. I am an immigrant with a Green Card and, therefore, I am not eligible to vote in a federal election. ... On Election Day, I see my neighbors heading to the nearby elementary school to cast their ballots. The voting booth joint is a great leveler; the whole neighborhood - rich, poor, old, young, decrepit and spunky - they all turn out in one day.

But most of you can vote. What can I say? The Republicans have made us less safe than before 9/11, bankrupted this economy, started an illegal war they can't - and don't intend to - finish, removed what sympathy (after 9/11) and respect the world had for the US, and have robbed US citizens of many of their basic rights.

Global warming? What's that? Science and education? Investment in our future? No, thanks - we'll stick with a good 'ole hockey mom. Ignorant, and fucking proud of it, as is always the case.

Although it looks like a shoo-in, it ain't over 'til Florida. And there are plenty of racists in this country who will vote against their own best interests. So please, get to your local elementary school, post office, town hall, or whatever, and cast your vote and make this a country we can all be proud of. We can get out of this mess, and life can be better than it is.

David Byrne
NYC

David Byrne played the Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, NJ last night. Did you go? How was it? More tour dates HERE. Set list below. Still waiting for the NYC show announcement.

Download the 2CD "ultra-limited release of the David Byrne live bootleg "'Stop Wearing Suits'" at this RapidShare link.

And in semi-related news, the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime" appears in the trailer of the Oliver Stone movie "W". You can watch that video below...

W

The Great Curve

**Second Encore**
Air
Burning Down The House

**Final Encore**
Everything That Happens

Compare that to the setlist from the first night of the tour.

"And there are plenty of racists in this country who will vote against their own best interests."

The man speaks the truth.

Posted by Lori | November 4, 2008 11:59 AM

I can't believe that I didn't know til now that he is Scottish.

Posted by flabbergasted | November 4, 2008 12:02 PM

Posted by michaelways | November 4, 2008 12:07 PM

I just saw the show in Atlantic City. It was quite Incredible. Its crazy to think he started the Talking Heads over 30 years ago and he is still going strong like this. He puts out solid albums and puts on a fantastic live show. I would recommend to anyone who is a music fan to either get tickets to an NYC show when it is announced or make the drive to his upcoming show in Albany or Delaware or somewhere close by. You will not be disappointed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 12:10 PM

I saw the AC show as well.
Fantastic show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 12:20 PM

"I can't wait until he comes to NYC. I really hope he plays This Must Be The Place though."

i agree 100%

Posted by Mike | November 4, 2008 12:28 PM

SHOW WAS AMAZING. nuff said

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 12:36 PM

I saw him at the Supper Club in the early 90s and it remains one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 12:43 PM

Saw him in Toronto last week; definitely one of the best shows that I've ever seen. Sadly no "This Must be the Place", but we got everything else that any fan would ever want.

Posted by Mark B. | November 4, 2008 12:49 PM

I saw the red bank show. truly amazing. the average age of the attendees was about 50 (no lie) but it totally went off. 3 encores, all absolutely deserved. the dancers were great. band and backing singers were amazing. 3 or 4 of the new songs held their own against anything he's done before.

just so much thought and creativity went into this show, and they did a whole lot without spending a fortune on production. I work with some bands lauded on the pages of this site, but last night's show was totally humbling. made me feel like I had to work harder, work smarter. Mr Byrne is a rare talent, and has all of my respect.

Posted by neil harris | November 4, 2008 1:03 PM

>I can't believe that I didn't know til now that he is Scottish.

No harm in that. He's been here since he was a little kid.

But I do find it strange that he's not a U.S. citizen.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 1:13 PM

i'm gonna be in albany when he's playing here but it's sold out. damn it. i'm hoping he'll announce a NYC date soon..these set lists are ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 2:01 PM

How is he not a US citizen at this stage? He's been living there for decades, right?

Posted by Richie | November 4, 2008 3:32 PM

I wouldn't live there if you paid me
I wouldn't live like that, no sirree
I wouldn't live the way those people do
I wouldn't live there if you paid me to

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 3:48 PM

Byrne's Red Bank show was truly phenomenal. From the moment he modestly walked on stage with the other musicians the crowd lit up. Soon after, his golden voice entered the recently restored Count Basie theater. The setlist was diverse although leaning toward the new album. The setup onstage was very clean and minimal.

I found my jaw was dropped throughout the show as the dancers and lighting were perfect. The girls were beautiful, and the guys held such an ecstatic expression. The triple encore was unexpected and much welcome. Just under two hours of brilliance. A top ten show for sure.

Posted by Mirza | November 4, 2008 4:05 PM

seriously, one of the best shows I've seen in a long while; Byrne never ceases to amaze me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 4:22 PM

great show last night!
no nyc show planned.. but i could see it at Radio City.

and no chance of Naive Melody(this must be the place) or nothing(but flowers)... as they're from Speaking in Tongues and Eno did not work on that album. This tour is pulling songs from the new album, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, More Songs About Buildings and Food, Fear of Music, and Remain in Light. and some dance-project here scored (Big Hands tune)

Posted by pd | November 4, 2008 4:26 PM

Houses in motion was the best last night. Have been in more than 50 DB concerts around the world and he hasn't played these songs many times before.
Not so sure about the protagonism of the dancers. I don't believe they add a lot.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 6:05 PM

I was at Supper Club in the early 90's as well 12:43, and I'd say you have to go out and see more shows. With that said, it's amusing he's not a citizen after this many years of profiting here and not even bothering to attain citizenship. Talking Heads reunion would be nice but it'll never happen.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2008 9:37 PM

Echoing all the comments above, the Red Bank show on 11/3 was fantastic.

Any torrents of the show out there? Other stops on the tour are available, but I haven't seen 11/3.

Posted by Steven | November 5, 2008 8:26 AM

David Byrne had great performance on that concert, the combination of songs was excellent.

Posted by Debora D. Fisher | December 14, 2010 8:11 AM