Posted in music | pictures on November 7, 2008

Photos by Chris La Putt

Drive-By Truckers

The Hold Steady and Drive-By Truckers played their first of two shows together at Terminal 5 in NYC last night (11/6). They do it again tonight - this time in reverse order. Last night DBT played last. This time they play first. More pictures, including one of the Hold Steady's setlist, from last night below... .

Drive-By Truckers...

The Hold Steady...

The Hold Steady

Note Radiohead fan's Tad Kubler's "Barack Obama" Bad Brains shirt. For what it's worth, Bad Brains was also playing NYC on the same night.

worst sound ever. i hate you terminal 5.

Posted by jae | November 7, 2008 12:19 PM

Any idea on set times for tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 12:31 PM

prob the same as last night?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 12:41 PM

hey!! how come they turned up the lights for you, chris? whenever I shoot there it's lit like a crypt.

unless you used ISO 1,000,000,000

Posted by Lori | November 7, 2008 12:41 PM

Those pictures are some of the best I've ever seen of either band. Great job!

Posted by uwmryan | November 7, 2008 12:45 PM

start time last night?

Posted by nbflowers | November 7, 2008 12:48 PM

hold steady were on sometime around 8:10 and dbt started at around 9:45

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 12:51 PM

Well, I'm definitely jealous of Tad's Bad Brains/Barack Obama shirt...

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:00 PM

anon 1:00 -
here you go, pal:

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:16 PM

great photos. amazing show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:42 PM

so excited for tonight!!!!!

Posted by annie | November 7, 2008 1:47 PM

Terminal 5 sucks, awful awful sight lines..and the sound is muffed. But i have to say it was still a good show. and I'm not the biggest fan of the Hold steady (though this would be the 4th time i've seen them...friends dragging me, free shows) but they did put on a really good show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:49 PM

tonight Truckers at 8, Hold Steady at 945

it was great last night, wish I was going again.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 1:51 PM

Last night did rock... I am a bigger DBT fan but with the fellow above, I too have seen the Hold Steady a bunch of times for the same reasons, and they were rocking and so was the place. No need to ask about the DBT as they tend to rock no matter where they play (even when its acoustic it rocks harder than most bands who are plugged in, exhibit a) the bowery ballroom a few months back). Enjoy tonight...fantastic double bill!

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 2:11 PM

old. weird.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 2:44 PM

Shonna Tucker? Yeah, I'd

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 6:25 PM

I know you're sick of the Hold Steady... but. if you're a casual fan, tonight was a better-than-average show.

if you ARE a Hold Steady fan, though, this was "one for the ages," as they say... They did the Minutement's "History Lesson Pt 2" and Blue Oyster Cult's "Burnin' For You," which was even better than "People That Died" last night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 12:34 AM

Did they play "Burning for you" cover this night like tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 12:34 AM

yeah-- "Burning for You" with Patterson was incredible!

totally different set from last night, heavy on the B-sides: "You Gotta Dance With Who You Came To The Dance With" (2nd song!), "Arms and Hearts," "Cheyenne Summer," "Adderall"...

the sound at Terminal 5 was awful as usual, but that hurt the Truckers more than it hurt the Hold Steady... both sets were great.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 12:45 AM

I never get the complaints about sound at t5.. what exactly is so awful? honestly asking, as I've seen several shows there and never had a complaint beyond it being a bit loud sometimes.. but I wear earplugs always which tends to even things out regardless.

just curious because people really tend to rag on the place but I've had a few good experiences there now. I wanted to hate it at first myself because its just so out in the middle of nowhere, but have come to realize that as far as medium-large sized rooms in town it sure as hell beats Roseland and Hammerstein which are basically the only other options that size. Things do tend to get boomy at that level but it just comes with the territory.. face it not every band can play Bowery forever..

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 11:42 AM

I am very picky about the sound and I got to say T5 is not that bad. I agree with the peron who posted above, it's much better in every way when compared to Roseland and Hammerstien.

Posted by Phil | November 8, 2008 3:36 PM

the people who complain either have no idea what they are talking about OR they've got beef with Bowery Presents for any number of reasons.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 5:46 PM

this show was my first time at T5 and I was surprised how much it lived up to its reputation for bad sound. I consider myself pretty forgiving, and I generally love Bowery Presents. Bowery Ballroom and MHOW are great venues. This room is just unyieldingly muddy. The sound engineer was doing his best, but it still was too godawful for me to stay for the whole show.
It's safe to say I'll never go back, and I wonder how BP will do in this economy with the sheer amount of new venues they have opened up in the last few years....

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 7:43 PM

Terminal 5 has MUCH nicer bathrooms than Roseland. It also has a MUCH less dickish staff than Hammerstein.

But it's way inferior to those venues in terms of sound, or sightlines.

MHOW has great sound & sightlines (though the staff is even more dickish than Hammerstein's)... but Terminal 5 just isn't professional quality.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 8:32 PM

depends on the band. I find if they don't crank it all the way up it's tolerable. The mezzanines are rough because of the position of the speakers. Straight back in the midlle mezz is where I can handle it the best. Positioned there for YAZ and tegan and sara who both didn't try to overdo it and it was fine. Have no idea how they are cleaning up the sound for Coheed and Cambria into a film though. Over the top on distortion. The Drive by truckers really struggled with their sound on Friday but i was in the upper level and it is LOUD.

Posted by bookman | November 9, 2008 7:28 PM

Check out my review of The Hold Steady NIGHT 2 @ Terminal 5 at www.salvatorebono.blogspot.com

Posted by With This I Think I'm Officially a Yuppie | November 10, 2008 11:59 AM