Posted in music | radio on November 13, 2008

Bob Dylan

Sirius XM Radio, the pay-radio marriage of the two former satellite services, formally combined their program lineups Wednesday.

Some channels from each service went away in the merger, with Sirius and XM Radio subscribers each getting new channels from the other service. Some channels will be moved and/or re-named.

Sirius XM said there will be no increase in the subscription fee or need to change or upgrade existing radios for the basic service, but that doesn't include the "Best of" packages.

XM subscribers will have to pay extra if they want a "Best of Sirius" package with such premium draws as Howard Stern, Martha Stewart Living, Playboy, NASCAR and the NFL. Sirius subscribers will have to shell out more for a "Best of XM" lineup that includes Oprah Winfrey's Oprah & Friends, the NBA, the NHL the PGA and The Virus, which is home to Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia.

Among the Sirius channels going away are Movin' Easy, Punk, Sirius Disorder, The Strobe, Boombox, Backspin and Universo Latino. XM channels being retired include XM Sports Nation, the Weather Channel, XMX, X-Country, Fungus, Rhyme, Raw, Beyond Jazz, Fine Tuning, The System, Chrome, Viva, Aguila, Caricia. [Chicago Tribune]

In case anyone was wondering, "Blog Radio" survived the cut. Indie/Alternative station Left of Center (Sirius) merged with XMU (XM) to form the new Sirius-XMU, which, although its name is closer to "XMU" is actually more like "Left of Center" (Blog Radio included). The new lineup for Sirius can be found here. The new XM lineup can be found here.

How about Left of Sessions?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:17 AM

no more Sirius Disorder :(

that sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:42 AM

The punk station Fungus was replaced by "AC/DC Radio". Nothing but AC/DC all day. Go fuck yourself XM.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:47 AM

WTF. Little Stevens Channel (59) is playing cock rock. IS anyone else having this problem?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:48 AM

as long as the programming of LOC stays the same, we can all survive the name change.

Posted by grace6697 | November 13, 2008 10:55 AM

maybe now the stock will shoot up...ha fat chance...glad i made money of this thing 2 years ago.

no more punk channel...i'm complaing to mel karmazin

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:55 AM

Yeah, Underground Garage is simulcasting Hair Nation or something. Noticed it last night on my train ride back from Boston.

Posted by DC | November 13, 2008 10:55 AM

Sirius Disorder is now The Loft. not much of a difference.

Posted by Kurt C. | November 13, 2008 10:56 AM

I heard they fired Blog Radio with Stories in High Fidelity after he tried to play MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 10:58 AM

Baba-Booey, Baba-Booey!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:04 AM

So, as a Sirius subscriber I don't have to pay for the "Best of XM" package in order to hear Bob Dylan's Old Time Radio Hour???? Sweeeet! That's the only thing that I ever wanted to hear on XM anyway. Willie's Place sounds like a bonus too though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:08 AM

my xm just got better. dont need to pay for the "besst of sirius" unless you want the old broad howard stern.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:15 AM

@ least I still got Opie and Anthony on my Sirius-XM thing, im happy!

Posted by Pedro | November 13, 2008 11:30 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:36 AM

The loss of Disorder is huge and the "Loft" is nothing like it. How sad that the one truly eclectic station on Sirius gets lost for more hyper specific channels. All AC/DC? Give me a break. I have all the albums I want to listen to...Disorder was something no one else could replicate...unless you add really cool D-Js to your iPod shuffle.

Posted by Eric | November 13, 2008 11:49 AM

this new Dan Deacon channel is great.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 1:08 PM

Those upset by the loss of disorder should make their views known to Sirius by sending them an email. It's the least we can do and maybe, just maybe, a lot of letters might inspire Sirius to reconsider.

Posted by Richard | November 13, 2008 1:25 PM

does brooklynvegan still have a show on there?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 1:49 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 2:09 PM

XM > Sirius by a long shot in terms of depth and variety of playlists and knowledgeable DJs. Beyond Jazz will be missed.

Posted by EF Matt | November 13, 2008 2:10 PM

From their FAQ's:

What happened to Disorder?

The Loft Ch. 29 will feature eclectic artists like Bob Dylan, Lucinda Williams and Tom Waitts, as well as shows from Lou Reed and Vin Scelsa.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 2:11 PM

Fred > crap > 1st Wave.

I'm happy I get to listen to Blog Radio now, but 1st Wave leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 3:08 PM

For all those mourning the loss of Disorder, please join the Bring back Disorder Facebook group

Posted by dave | November 13, 2008 4:00 PM

so Howard and O&A now work for the same company...

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 4:41 PM

Oprah and Anthony

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 4:43 PM

Will XMU still have the shows where indie artists dj? Will there still be a 1234 More More More Show on XMU? Where did the Lou Reed NY Shuffle show go I wanted to hear that?

Posted by Me | November 13, 2008 8:38 PM

After one day of listening to XMU, I'm not finding it to be nearly as good as the old Left of Center. I really noticed the difference just listening to what was being played, as I had forgotten about the whole Sirius/XM merger. Very disappointed, and I was against the merger from the beginning because, guess what, now I have no choice. Well, satellite or no satellite, yes, but no other sat radio provider and that stinks. I pretty much listened to LOC almost exclusively, and the change was pretty apparent today, enough that I'm rethinking my renewal that comes up this month.

Posted by JC | November 13, 2008 10:32 PM

ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three ron & fez noon-three

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:07 PM

^^^^^^^^
You are the fucking best!

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 11:24 PM

the blog radio story according to Stories in High Fidelity

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 12:59 AM

My reaction to the change from Sirius Blues to B.B. King's Bluesville is similar to JC's reaction to the change from Left of Center to Sirius XMU.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 5:38 AM

what the $%$# was the point of bringing XM programming over to Sirius stations? I thought the point was to get rid of the competition - not bring the bad parts of the competition (the programming, the music stations) over to your strengths. LOC and Sirius Disorder did not need to change at all..

Posted by anon | November 14, 2008 8:14 AM

Its only been a day but I think so far Sirius XMU is kind of what I wanted. I used to have Sirius and switched to XM when it came with my car and I liked the artists that LOC played, but I liked the depth of the playlists that XMU had, and so far it seems like its the LOC artists with XMU depth. I just remembered having LOC before and seeing an artist come up, and knowing ahead of time which song they would play.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 9:30 AM

you sirius people now get to hear the genius Ron Bennington

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 1:36 PM

it's KC's sausage party,
he'll kiss a guy if he wants to,
kiss a guy if he wants to,
kiss a guy if he wants tooooo...

you'd kiss a guy, too
if you loved man-goooooo!!!

Posted by Rod Stiffington | November 14, 2008 4:49 PM

This was exactly why they shouldn't have been allowed to merge (the premium channels) and, from what I remember, exactly the fucking opposite of what they told the SEC & FCC they would do.

Posted by Rufus J Squirrel | November 15, 2008 8:22 PM

What premium channels are you talking about? The Best of XM for Sirius subscribers (and vice versa)? Those are offerings that were made possible by the merger; without the merger, Sirius subscribers would not have been able to get those XM channels (and vice versa) at all, short of buying hardware for XM and paying for full XM programming.

Not that I'm thrilled with Wednesday's turn of events; I'm just addressing your singling out of premium channels.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2008 12:09 PM

I agree, Left of Center was my almost exclusive listen... For lack of other options, I will give XMU a chance to prove itself, before I decide on renewing or not. "The List" was a great way to catch up on listeners top 10. I hope they keep that!! If I could only get Woxy.com on my home theater system (easily), it would ease some of the pain. Fave internet station!

Posted by Tunadude3 | November 17, 2008 7:01 PM

So far, I'm not hating the changes to XMU (I'm an XM subscriber), but I'm still reserving judgement. There's been one positive. I enjoyed the show that brought me here to this site.

And I'll echo what a couple others have said about my big negative so far: the lack of a punk channel. As someone else said, a dedicated AC/DC channel? There's one for Springsteen and Led Zep, too. No one asked me, but I'd drop Bruce first, then AC/DC. Zep last. Even if it's a good thing, too much of a good thing ruins that good thing. But I'd take a decent punk channel over any of these in a heartbeat. Missing Fungus. Would sure like to see them bring that channel back.

--Muddy

Posted by Muddy | November 19, 2008 2:43 PM

FUCK XMU. Left of Center had it all!

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2008 2:11 AM

I thought I was weird in that Left of Center was my exclusive listen for the most part, but it seems others shared my taste for the awesome quality of that channel.

I saw my preset changed to XM U and my ride to work or wherever just wasn't the same :(

What the f, man? BRING BACK LOC!

Posted by R.I.P. Left of Center | December 2, 2008 3:47 PM

Look, I'm sure that you're nice enough, but your show sucks and I hate the new XMU. I've tried to give your show as well as the two new (and completely inept) djs a chance but none of you hold a candle to Billy Zero and Tobi.

Sorry, but it had to be said.

Posted by Bring back the real XMU | December 10, 2008 4:51 PM

The new XMU does indeed suck. It's now totally mainstream like Left of Center was. XMU was the reason I chose XM over Sirius to begin with and they have killed it now.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 6:08 PM

"If they would only fire Jenny "I work for Rolling Stone" eliscu! She makes me mental."

Agreed.

LOC was the only channel I listened to, and now it's gone. XMU is a drag, I'm hearing so many old songs, not to mention Gnarls Barkley.

:( Considering unsubscribing.

Posted by Alona | December 15, 2008 12:24 PM

& I miss the Minister terribly.

Posted by MF | December 15, 2008 12:27 PM

yeah, they definitely need to bring back the minister. this josiah is a real toolbag.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2008 1:08 PM

I wrote 10 emails to Sirius about Sirius Disorder, Left of Center and even Universo Latino (my kitchen staff loves that channel)

I told them I am not renewing if they dont revert back to their original programming. This really sucks!

Posted by Jay Muse | December 19, 2008 9:59 AM

i dumped xm when they got rid of xmu, left of center's format sucks they repeat the same shit over and over and it sucks. thanks be to god that there is KEXP out there not if i could just stream it in my car instead of pod casts i would be set.
I am sad that xmu is gone to me it was worth the money to have a good stream of music but really could one expect anything more?

Posted by dj | December 23, 2008 1:46 PM

With LOC, I would rarely hear the same song in a day sometimes 2 days. We were able to listen to it at work since it had the depth and width of play lists. Now that's it XMU, we hear the same songs multiple times a day. The band variation is really small and mainstream. People are starting to complain so we are going to have to go look for another option. So now this station is ruined for me at work and in the car since I'm sick of the songs hearing them at work all day!

Posted by Lisa | January 5, 2009 10:06 PM

I'm still missing Left of Center. Sirius XMU doesn't compare.

Posted by anon | April 21, 2009 11:45 PM