Posted in To Do | music on November 6, 2008

Billy Corgan

Smashing Pumpkins play their first of two NYC shows at United Palace Theater tonight, Thursday, November 6th ("Black Sunshine" night). The second is tomorrow ("White Crosses" night). Each night will have a different setlist. Last week they played two shows in Ohio and both of those setlists are below...

Columbus, OH - Oct 31 (Halloween)
SP

A Song for a Son
Today
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
Heavy Metal Machine
Glass' Theme
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Cleveland, OH - Nov 1 (a "normal" show)
SP

99 Floors
Owata
Sunkissed
A Song For a Son
Mayonaise
Tonight, Tonight
Tarantula
G.L.O.W.
Siva
Speed Kills
Superchrist
The Sounds of Silence
That's The Way (My Love Is)
Disarm
Today
Bullet With Butterfly Wings
As Rome Burns
Heavy Metal Machine
Glass' Theme
The March Hare
Suffer
Encore

We Only Come Out at Night
Everything is Beautiful

They were in Toronto when Obama was announced president. All dates HERE.

Ughh! What an awful setlist.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:13 PM

Out on tour with the smashing pumpkins...

Posted by SM | November 6, 2008 4:14 PM

Stone Temple Pilots, the elegant bachelors,
they're foxy to me
are they foxy to you?

Posted by SM pt deux | November 6, 2008 4:20 PM

nature kids, they don't have no function

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:22 PM

career? korea?

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:24 PM

career, obviously

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:28 PM

seriously, get over pavement, people. all you musicians influenced by them suck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:28 PM

^

[ ] elegant bachelor

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:30 PM

I don't suck. I'm actually pretty good at what I do son.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 4:31 PM

pretty bad setlists. at least they're playing mayonaise though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 5:06 PM

how horrible...what ever happened to the cool pumpkins?

Posted by Dooder City | November 6, 2008 8:23 PM

4:24 ->career? korea?

wrong PVMT song, dude!

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 8:57 PM

pumpkins suck donkey

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 9:28 PM

SP went on a bit after 8 tonight, played until around 10:40. I only caught the last half of the show, which was enjoyable. For a little while. Highlights were the old favorites, Today and Bullet w Butterfly Wings.

The encore featured a capella singing WITH FUCKING KAZOOS.

To me, the final bit was a slap in the audience's face. I mean, jesus, kazoos?!?

This show was a disappointment.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 12:18 AM

I was at Newport in Ohio and the show was indeed terrible. It was even highlighted with an over the top "argument" between Billy and the guitarist. Waste of 60 bucks. Ohioans also talk to much during shows.

Posted by jp | November 7, 2008 12:35 AM

despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Posted by NYPD Riot Cop Joe | November 7, 2008 12:49 AM

i waited a decade to see the S.P.'s (one of my favorite bands) to shit out one of the worst sets i've ever heard in my life. Only 3 MCIS songs (Tonight,Tonight)was amazing, opposed to like 15 zeitgeist bullshit anthems, complete with a neverending "jam" of an open drop d note held forever. And what who the fuck does billy think he's impressing with his delay pedal?!? it sounded like a 10 year-old's first trip to guitar center. At the end of the set, Corgan made fun of NYC and the people at his show, and sang "everyone is beautiful".UTTERLY DISSAPOINTING.

Posted by closer | November 7, 2008 12:54 AM

Run from the pigs, the fuzz, the cops, the heat
Pass me your gloves, theres crime and its never complete
Until you snort it up or shoot it down
Youre never gonna feel free

Posted by Bedford Ave Freedom Fighter | November 7, 2008 12:59 AM

DISAPPPOINTING to see the least! We got there about 10 min's into the show and they were sounding great however, it all went down hill from there. It was a complete waste of time and money. Billy Corgan was an obnoxious *sshole and ridiculed people who grew up listening to them, New Yorkers and pretty much the whole audience. They pretty much just made noise for the last 40 minuntes of the show and they sounded like a high school garage band -at best. If you have tickets to go tonight, do yourself a favor, sell them and go do something else -anything else!

Posted by NYCKat | November 7, 2008 6:57 AM

NYCKat, you obviously don't know what sarcasm means. You probably also don't have much of a sense of humor. However, I do agree that the 20-minute "trippy jam" was a annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 7:57 AM

worst show EVER
really

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 7:57 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 7:57 AM

worse than Beck?

Posted by wembley | November 7, 2008 7:59 AM

awful setlist, they should have retired when D'arcy and Iha left

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 8:09 AM

I have been to over 300 concerts in my lifetime and this ranks in the Top 5. He was actually booed offstage at the end of the set. He proceeded to heckle the crowd for 10 minutes and play kazoos before he left. If you can get rid of your ticket for Friday night do it now. I want a refund.

Posted by goat | November 7, 2008 8:11 AM

this show was absolutely bizarre. it started off really strong, but once the last part of the show kicked in i have no idea what the hell happened.

Posted by Isfet | November 7, 2008 8:26 AM

wow, reminiscent of Lolla 94, when the band was boo'd / heckled for most of the night, and Billy threw a fit as well. Easily one of the most hated on shows Ive ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 8:29 AM

The show last night was absurd. I actually didn't think the 20 minute jam was so bad, kinda felt like an acid trip.
And no, despite Corgan's insistence, he was NOT being sarcastic. He sounded like he was throwing a passive-aggressive temper tantrum... I remember something like "Everyone's beautiful... especially you New York, the way you just stroll in late to my show, and then BOO me at the end! What? You don't have a sense of humor? Come on, I'm just kidding!"

Yeah right.

Posted by Joe | November 7, 2008 8:55 AM

Had no one here seen them before? I was actually surprised how little he'd changed since 2000. He's always been cock-sure of himself. Shit was all right.

Posted by Tito | November 7, 2008 9:04 AM

This was without question the single worst and most disappointing show I've seen in my entire life. Made the Beck concert last month look phenomenal in comparison. I also have to say that they went on REALLY early and I missed at least 6-7 songs; ticket said doors were 8pm, I got there at 9 and they were half way through their set. So, if you've wasted your money on going to tonight's show, get there early.

The "jam" at the end of the set was annoying, and the encore was downright insulting.

Posted by Funderburgh | November 7, 2008 9:10 AM

I remember when I was only a ten year old boy, and first heard Billy Corgan play Timpani on Siamese Dream...gosh what a tone. That's what first inspired me to buy my own set of timpani and practice all day in my parents' basement. Those were the days! I used to dream of seeing him play timpani live, but never got the chance since they would never come to the small town I grew up in. Whenever anything difficult happened in my life, I would just put on my headphones and listen to him bang away on the drums.

It was certainly quite a treat when Billy decided to forgo the guitar for the latter part of his set last night and get back to basics...back to what really made us love Smashing Pumpkins as kids...TIMPANI SOLOS! And not just a short one, but a sweet 20-minute timpani jam. I think I ran the gauntlet of human emotion during that finale. It was hard to hold back the tears.

Posted by Boo Urns | November 7, 2008 9:12 AM

"wow...im so glad i completely spaced on the fact that this show was even happening. sounds like it was terrible."

This show was not great by any means, but nowhere near as bad as people here make it to be. If you make your musical choices according to what you read in the comments section of BV, you are bound to miss a lot of great bands.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 9:15 AM

I mean come on what did you expect? Corgan's solo bullshit and Zwan were a complete failure. He just calls what he's doing now the smashing pumpkins just so people will show up. Don't be naive.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 9:19 AM

cause you're the kinda girl i like
because you're empty
and i'm empty.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 9:24 AM

I couldn't agree more. Such a terrible show. Sadly, they actually sounded good as a band. I think this is the official end of the Pumpkins (wait, wasnt that in 1997?)

"Sorry we didn't play any of the songs you lost your virginity to?" What a passive aggressive D-bag. I am annoyed that man has my money.

Posted by JoeD | November 7, 2008 9:25 AM

Look, the show started out promising, then just got progressively worse, and the whole last half hour (jam + encore) was completely forgettable in any way imaginable.

Calling this Smashing Pumpkins is a complete misnomer.

In other news, the bassist is fucking hot.

Posted by Funderburgh | November 7, 2008 9:29 AM

I want to protest tonights show. What started off absolutley incredible with Mayonaise, Tonight Tonight and Tarantula turned out to be one of the worst shows I have ever seen. This would have been great if all his fan were still in the late teens, early 20's but he should know his fan base and give them the respect to hear some decent music. Billy Corgan has become the most unlikable musician around today. This is coming from a huge fan who flew to ashville NC to see them. Which was also terrible.

Posted by jd506 | November 7, 2008 9:43 AM

Show was good until the ending. Set the Heart for the Controls of the Sun went on way too long and the encore, enough has been said about that already.

But the show definitely had its moments. Mayonaise, United States. The acoustic set in the middle of the show was good. The end though, definitely was a giant disappointment.

Posted by nbflowers | November 7, 2008 9:53 AM

Oh lord
The fucking Smashing Pumpkins?
Who gives a flying fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 9:59 AM

out on my skateboard, the night is just humming

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 10:06 AM

The problem wasn't the beginning of the set.

The problem was the Floyd cover, which dragged on forever in a cacophony of barely musical noise, completely distancing the audience... and then they walked off!

If you're going to play a song like that as your walk off song, you'd better hope your audience was expecting it.

As for the end, they've been playing Everyone Is Beautiful at every show, that wasn't a special for NYC. Although he did get into a neat little tantrum.

All in all, the show was great, but completely eclipsed by the Floyd cover. It was my first Pumpkins show, after being a huge fan since '94 or so, and I would have even enjoyed the ending if they just hadn't played that damn Floyd cover.

As Billy said, fuck it, they've rocked forever, let them have a little fun. If they want to do kazoos on We Only Come Out At Night, let them. If they want to close with a show-tuney cover, let them. Enjoy it for what it is.

But the Floyd cover was terrible and ruined the tenor of the evening.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 10:24 AM

If you arrived at 8 and left at 9:45, you'd probably tell people it was a solid show. The last 45 minutes soured everyone.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 10:35 AM

agreed w/ 10:35. shit was loud and the old shit was tight. they played effing 'eye' and 'transformer.' dude still makes an effort, albeit an effort that misses in egregious fashion at times.

how has nobody mentioned the one undebatedly bizarre fact of the show: the band was set up 30 feet from the front of the stage. so if you had front row seats you might as well have been in the 10th row.

and you better believe billy-in-a-dress is back. i think he work the monochromatic inverse of what he wore on the MCIS tours.

Posted by Tito | November 7, 2008 10:45 AM

I am a bit of a jam band guy, but I loved the jam. The only disappointing thing was that he went off on such a tangent, which was good, but rather than tie it all together, he just stopped playing Set the Heart for the Controls of the Sun.

He was a total dick, and maybe wasn't sarcastic, but I fuckin loved it. Why is everyone so sensitive? We're talking about a rock star making quasi-rude but spot on commentary that was worth laughing at, especially because I was a fan of the music.

I was expecting generic Pumpkins, always hope for something different at a concert, and couldn't have asked for more in that regard. Well done Billy, I hope you're an even bigger dick tonight because I'm thinking about going. And I hope you pull off some more whack acid rock while you're at it.

Posted by Adam | November 7, 2008 11:09 AM

I love you Billy! Pumpkins rule!

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 11:23 AM

I like the pumpkins but i dont know what most of those songs are. Help?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2008 11:38 AM

last night's show was horrible and he was not being sarcastic. he was definitely passive aggressive and tried to disguise his insults as "fun" and sarcasm. early on in the show, he said "we're going to have fun tonight or i might have a classic meltdown. oh, i know how difficult i am, i've read about myself online." and at the end it seemed like he was a quarter of the way to a meltdown of sorts. of course he was booed. don't announce a 20th anniversary Smashing Pumpkins tour and then play horrible setlists and unwarranted 20 minute jams that few enjoy. and definitely don't insult the very people that are still giving you a chance in the "limelight" after EVERYTHING you've done since the original SP absolutely sucks. (zwan, book of poetry, solo crap, etc) billy corgan is completely out of creative talent and is trying to cash in. the way he released his new songs to be bought only as 4 different digitial albums online was a key indicator of this. if you're gonna sell out and try to cash in, at least give people what they want and what you're advertising (20th anniversary tour). he's still such a megalomaniac and unrightfully so, it's interesting to witness someone so delusional at least...

don't go to the show tonight. yes, doing anything else will be more fun, unfortunately.

Posted by orange z | November 7, 2008 1:32 PM

The second show was an incredible improvement from the first. There was a good 45 minutes of the grade-A pumpkins songs that the real fans "lost their virginities to". Billy was still a dick, but just to one guy instead of the entire crowd. The set was a million times better. On a scale of 1-10, Nov.6th=1; Nov.7th=6

p.s.-the bassist IS really hot.

Posted by closer | November 8, 2008 3:08 AM

Better, yes, but mostly because that 45 minutes of grade-A stuff topped Thursday's old school stretch (Soma, Cherub Rock, Zero, Bodies, Gallapagos), but goddamn that last hour was abysmal. I would have left if I'd known the only song they'd play in the last hour recorder pre-2000 would be a single verse from Suffer....

Posted by Tito | November 8, 2008 8:39 AM

I've waited years to see the Pumpkins and that is what I got so disappointed.
I agree with the guy that Billy brought to the stage I dont know why people booed him when most of us really felt that way.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 10:21 AM

Me either, everyone said the show was horrible Thursday, yet when that guy was up there they all acted like he was the only one who didn't like it. I give him respect for saying what he thought, $80 tickets for a "20th anniversary show" and you played like 15 songs that nobody knew/wanted to hear. Last night's show was cool I guess, but they played maybe 2 songs off Siamese Dream and maybe 3 or 4 off Mellon Collie, the rest were songs I've never even heard before. And the fucking encore, you come back and play shit from Zeitgeist? Give me a break.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2008 11:51 AM

If you guys wanted to see a generic greatest hits show you should have gone to see the Foo Fighters. Some of the jams got a bit long, but otherwise I loved it.

Posted by JMG | November 8, 2008 7:43 PM

The show was good besides the fact that the guy next to me kept farting. God damn it smelt like the sewage system up in that biatch.

Posted by Pablo | November 8, 2008 8:43 PM

I saw the opening show in Columbus and was wondering what you guys were going to write about the NyC shows. I had similar reaction as well

Posted by Jp | November 10, 2008 7:17 PM

Can't wait for the shows in LA. All of his antics just make it more fun when you expect them ahead of time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2008 4:40 PM