Posted in music | pictures on November 11, 2008

words and photos by Kyle Dean Reinford

Team B

Last night (11/10) I caught the first-ever performance of Team B at Union Pool in Brooklyn. I normally wouldn't try to hit a concert two hours after flying back from Austin, but the night was too tempting. Team B is Kelly Pratt (Beirut/Arcade Fire) 's brainchild, and the record features appearances from many great musicians including other members of Arcade Fire and Beirut.

I'm glad I made the effort. The group of multi-instumentalists played about half of the new album, along with a few other songs. "On My Mind," "Empty Hallways," and "Papa's Waltz" were personal favorites. Overall, I was overwhelmed with the amount of musical talent on the stage.

If you were there, you probably also remember the constant yelling of a drunken friend of the band in the front row. After they played "Hang Me", she yelled "Yay! Suicide!!!".... This spoiled some of the intimacy of the small venue, but, to accentuate the positive, I guess it also helped ease some of the tension of the band's first-ever-show and made for less awkward transitions between songs.

Kelly and band-member Jon Natchez are getting ready to hit the road with Herman Dune for a month or so (including 2 NYC shows this week), so don't expect to see any upcoming Team B shows soon, BUT Kelly told me he's trying really hard to make sure this band happens. Based on what I saw last night, I really hope it does. More pictures and the setlist below...

Setlist:

Tons of Fun
Hang Me
Mystery Man
?
On My Mind
Empty Hallways
Life is a Bore
Papa's Waltz
Salad Days
No Purchase Necessary

No one can deny the talent of any of those musicians on the stage. The amount of instruments that they all played was impressive, and the quality of it was amazing. Being the first show, some kinks need to be worked out, but overall it was a solid effort. I don't see this as being a too successful of spin off of Beirut (more of a side project) but you can see the influences. Without Condon or another great singer leading them, it is missing the spark.

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2008 6:28 PM

this show would've been so awesome if they put a muzzle on that abby girl.

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2008 6:29 PM

@6:29

yes, it would have.

Posted by matthew | November 11, 2008 10:55 PM

you know what really "spoiled some of the intimacy of the small venue"? YOU, CAMERAMAN. was it really necessary to aim your super-powered flash backwards at the crowd all night? yes sir, you sure are a huge dick.

great show tho, those guys have great potential.

did anyone else walk out during the german/xylophone/accordion experience?

Posted by blinded by the light | November 12, 2008 8:42 AM

sounds like I would have laughed my ass off seeing a photog blind you, douche.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 9:30 AM

i think it was okay for her to get trashed on her birthday

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 10:36 AM

@ blinded by the light

if you look closely, you'll realize that two of those photos were taken with flash - the shot opening two shots. they were 2 of only 8 shots i took with flash the entire night. i was the dude on the left side of the stage, not the tall guy with the beard moving around the audience blinding people. i completely agree that that guy was annoying.

Posted by kyle | November 12, 2008 11:43 AM

That's fine - let her get trashed on her birthday. I have no problem with that. The problem comes when that level of drunkenness takes away from everyone else's experience at a show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:55 AM

seconded. dude going flash crazy wasn't kyle.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:21 PM

Jon Natchez is a one-man Skavoovie.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:22 PM

The missing song on the setlist was a cover of "Suicide is Painless"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:07 PM

ahhhh the old "assume=ass of u and me" adage was true after all. damn you grandma for always being right...

my apologies, kyle!

Posted by blinded by the light | November 12, 2008 2:43 PM

Dear blogger-
I don't think that the party girl affected the performance at all. Stick to the important stuff and try to not bring your negative shit to an otherwise awesome show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 9:36 PM

i think a lot people went to the show looking for the next Beirut or Arcade Fire. A few people around me seemed surprised and upset to find that they were not at all a spin off of those groups. They share some obvious similarities-band members, variety of instruments-- but they really do have a distinct sound. I thought the music was amazing, albeit less likely to make it's way into the mainstream.

Posted by Solaban | November 12, 2008 9:37 PM

@ 9:36

are you serious? she was so distracting! at one point the guy behind me said "is this her show or theirs?" i agree. i would have been shocked if this review didn't at least acknowledge the fact that she was there and annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 2:08 AM

Were you at the show 9:36? I thought BV went waaaay easy on her. I expected a much harsher criticism of drunken birthday girl - she certainly deserved one.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 4:13 AM

i hope the band is no longer friends with that abby chick after she went out of her way to all but ruin team b's first gig ever.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 4:30 AM

party poopers

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 2:00 PM

I was sorry I missed this show... but it seems that it was populated by drunkards, party poopers, and the dreaded fuddy-duddies. And though I missed her antics, I'm pretty sure I want Party Girl at my NYE bash... even if she does puke on my roomie's bed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 5:18 PM

"at one point the guy behind me said "is this her show or theirs?"" -November 13, 2008 2:08 AM

AND WHEN IS PARTY GIRL'S NEXT SHOW? I'M SOOOOO THERE!

WAY TO ROCK THE LADIES TEAM B! Y'ALL ARE GETTING SO MUCH PUSS ON THE ROAD

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 6:01 PM

Drunken party girl was actually hilarious you cranky hipsters. Get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 12:39 AM

also, who was that girl playing trumpet? She was pretty damn cute.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 12:41 AM

i hope party girl gets gang raped for her birthday by team B for the indignity she showed during this somber, serious event. in the moments in between songs, which i reserve for silent judgement of the song i just heard, there was not only annoying clapping, but the drunken shouts of some disgusting harlot who seemed to think that a fine venue like union pool, a quiet spot to kick back with a glass of wine and good periodical such as harpers, was a debacherous hole of drunken revelry. i am so relieved that others like these brave anonymous BV bloggers, think the same way as me, and hopefully we can find this stupid cunt and stab her eyes out with our cocks and then skull fuck the whore. how we will rejoice when we pull out our bloody manhood covered with grey matter and know the world is rid of one less hollering trollop. it's people like her that make NYC targeted by terrorists... she the reason they hate us so. i declare jihad on drunk bitches.

also the photographer is really talented, i like the one of the tamborine next to the beer. i think it is a metaphor of some sort.

and i concur that the trumpeter is hot. i want to make sweet love to her supple form while her husband serenades us with the MASH theme song.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 5:47 PM

Y'all just got learned...

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 5:49 PM

On thoughts on Team B?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 7:34 PM

Team B played this show? I thought it was some drunken bitch that wouldn't shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 7:44 PM

I hear Team B got a tentative deal with sub pop after the show? Is that true? Can anyone confirm?

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2008 8:02 PM

@5:47

I'm with you, man. Who did that girl think she was? First of all, who gets drunk on their birthday? Birthdays are reserved for reflection on the year that has passed and depression at the realization that you're getting old. Second, this is Brooklyn we're talking about. Drunken revelry NOT WELCOME. If she wants to be a liberal, fun-loving hippie, fine, but take it back to North Carolina or whatever true blue state you came from. Third, you need to follow the lead of the band. Team B started with a song about loving fat chicks-- a clear indication that the concert would be a window into Kelly Pratt's soul if we would all just sit quietly and listen. But that damn birthday girl insisted on forcing her youthful FUN and ENERGY on everybody, and we all missed the opportunity.

I also agree that the trumpeter was a fox.

Posted by Sue Donim | November 15, 2008 8:47 PM

My bad with the flash.

I didn't like the light I was getting and the images were too soft. Kyle is pretty talented and made it work, but I went another route. As you noted, the flash is quite powerful, and needed to be bounced off a light surface. With a dark ceiling and without a white card, I had to experiment with the direction of the flash to get the right shadows in the shot. If you're thinking I was less concerned with your show experience and more concerned with my work, then you're correct. Although I suppose a little bit of consideration would be in order next time. Apologies.

PS. The trumpeter is Tracy, Kelly's wife.

Posted by "annoying""tall guy with a beard" with "a huge dick" | November 18, 2008 10:50 AM

no, sub pop offered to sign them to a multi million dollar record deal but their shrewd manager said no. knew they could get more.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2008 8:29 PM

When is TEAM B playing another show???????

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2008 12:45 AM