Posted in industry | music on November 12, 2008

Cat

In a move designed in part to boost its public relations and possibly drive future sales, Ticketmaster Entertainment has begun to offer some concert tickets that it claims do not carry additional convenience fees.

The admission by Ticketmaster President Sean Moriarty came Monday during the release of the company's third quarter earnings, and Moriarty said the company started experimenting with "all-in pricing" with tickets to an upcoming concert by The Eagles at the Greensboro Coliseum in North Carolina, which Ticketmaster is selling for between $60 and $190 each.

"We've been advocating for some time that the industry make the fan-friendly move to no-fee or all-in pricing, eliminating add-on fees," Moriarty told a group of financial analysts and investors. "The reaction of fans has been overwhelmingly positive."

The new all-in pricing model, however, does not lower the price of a ticket - the face values of tickets throughout the popular Eagles tour are all about the same - but it does potentially open up a new revenue stream for Ticketmaster, according to Moriarty. Currently, Ticketmaster does not typically earn fees for tickets sold at a venue's box office, but with all-in pricing, there will be one standard price for a ticket "across all channels, including the box office, which will create new revenue streams for artists and Ticketmaster," he said.

"We think that fees broken out by line item are awkward and confusing for consumers," Moriarty told the group, virtually ignoring the fact that the company has operated that way since its inception. [Ticket News]

Tags: Ticketmaster

1) YAY LOLCAT

2) experiments spelled wrong :)

Posted by Lori | November 12, 2008 10:56 AM

about freakin' time...the surcharges for the DBT/HS shows was almost %50 of the face value. fuckers.

Posted by jason isbell | November 12, 2008 10:59 AM

this is even worse because they're just adding the fee to the face value; they're removing the transparency of the deceit.

fuckholes.

Posted by Henry McCool | November 12, 2008 11:08 AM

I love the idea that this is fan friendly. I'm still paying the same amount for tickets purchased through Ticketmaster but it's not itemized with TM fees, YAY!!! Even better if I go to the box office I pay the same price as I would have online when I used to be able to save a few dollars. Woo Hoo!! Fan friendly at its finest.

Posted by mp77 | November 12, 2008 11:13 AM

best comedy post of the week so far

Posted by UN:art:IG | November 12, 2008 11:16 AM

Yeah what a bait and switch. I like saving money at the box office now there is no insenive for that and ticketmaster gets all the money. In essence they are making more money as they make money on every ticket sale. What favors are they doing people?!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:17 AM

wait... i don't get it...

they're just eliminating the process of adding extra fees by making the actual tickets more expensive?

uh... how does this make sense?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:20 AM

it makes sense as proof that ticketmaster is exactly as bad as we all knew already.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:34 AM

Baby let's make a run for the border,
I've got a hunger only tacos can stop.
I know exactly what I ordered
Three tacos two tostadas and a soda pop.

I need to make a run for the border,
If you pay I'll take off my top.
Do you remember what I want to order?
Three tacos two tostadas and a soda pop.

Posted by Hennifer Lopez | November 12, 2008 11:36 AM

as the dude said, i hate the fucking eagles.

those fees are ticketmaster's rape charges. fucking jerks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:41 AM

they will still RAPE you. TM is only in it for the money, no matter what they might say these days.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:48 AM

THIS IS WAAAAY WORSE for the average concert goer. Now they can hide the gouging in the fees. Not good at all, for anybody!

FUCK TICKETBASTARD!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:50 AM

You people are such idiots. Of course Ticketmaster is in it for the money. It's a fucking BUSINESS. It is not a public service. And frankly, their profit margins are not even that high (8.2% for the past year) and they continue to get hit by more and more competition (i.e., Live Nation) which, combined with the state of the economy, is going to put TM in a very fragile state over the next 12-18 months.

If you want to complain about ticket prices, you should start with the artists that you so admire.

Posted by CN | November 12, 2008 11:56 AM

Ticketmaster broke my brother's stereo and told him it was me!

Posted by Steve Polychronopolis | November 12, 2008 11:57 AM

This news sux. I usually hit up Mercury Lounge Box Office (Other Music and Irving Plaza too) after work to bypass the additional fees from TM for all the shows I go to. The only time I use TM is if I think the show will sell out within the day... which makes the convenience charge worthwhile.

Though it's not really a concert venue, I always enjoy the process LOVE uses for DJ events because they have a system set up through PayPal with no additional fees. I wonder why smaller venues can't do the same, instead of using Ticket Web (or TM)?

Posted by Brand-1 | November 12, 2008 12:26 PM

CN - Everybody recognizes that they are a business and the ultimate goal is to make a profit. Am I supposed to feel sorry that their margins aren't high or that they have increasing competition? They've had a stranglehold on the market for years so maybe some competition will force them to rethink how they do business and become more efficient (yes a pipe dream but one can hope).

It is insulting that TM says this is a fan friendly move. Nothing in the scenario is improvement for the fan. The prices will remain static or increase (depending on how you procure your tickets) and you aren't getting any sort of improved experience.

Posted by mp77 | November 12, 2008 12:46 PM

Agree w/ Brand-1. I almost always go to the box office to avoid TM fees, but if this plan flies I'd end up paying TM fees even at the freaking box office. Argh!!!

Posted by Lars | November 12, 2008 1:06 PM

I wonder what Eddie Vedder thinks of this

"we think it's confusing to consumers to TELL THEM we're adding charges... it would be better service to just add the convenience fees, delivery fees and processing fees into the cost of the ticket. That's why our business is in such great shape!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:14 PM

Wow, Ticketmaster! Go eat a bag of dicks.

Posted by A. | November 12, 2008 1:16 PM

Hahahahaha Hennifer Lopez. Thank you for your taco-flavored keeses.

There's really nothing else to talk about on this one. Everything about this announcement is so ridiculous.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | November 12, 2008 1:17 PM

Moriarty in Billboard, from March 2008:

While its relationship with ticketbuyers is growing, he said he realizes that the company still has to reach out more to spread the company's story. In particular, the service charges are a source of confusion. "We need to do a better job of explaining it," he said.

or....not. ("story" my ass.)

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:26 PM

mp77 - TM trying to say this is good for the fans is laughable...I agree. But the point on their profit margins is that they don't make that much money even with fees at current levels. You may want lower fees, but this business goes away if the fees go lower. And then we're all stuck with shitty websites that crash everytime a high demand event goes up for sale.

Posted by CN | November 12, 2008 1:30 PM

Don't artists get to control the ticket price to their concerts? Or am I old school?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:44 PM

At least this way you know the total cost of the ticket going in...the service charges could vary wildly, and weren't a function of the face value of the ticket.

Most of the time, if you were looking to get tickets for a show via their website, you wouldn't cancel the order when the 'convenience' charge suddenly becomes visible (unless it was something outrageous like $20 or 30).

Now you can decide up front if a show is worth $35, instead of seeing a $25 price initially quoted, only to ultimately pay $35.

Posted by Milton Friedman | November 12, 2008 2:27 PM

CN - I didn't state I wanted lower fees but it's a fair thing to say along with the fact I want cheaper records, lower phone bills, etc. I also know none of those are going to happen and the point is moot.

I recognize that as much as I will complain about them TM does play a vital role in the marketplace and on some levels is a fairly necessary evil for some of the reasons you mentioned. I wish I knew the intricacies of their business better but they are inherently a service based organization with (up until recently) a huge hold over the marketplace so having such a low profit margin strikes me as a fundamental flaw with how they're organized as opposed to their fees.

Posted by mp77 | November 12, 2008 2:41 PM

FUCKHOLES

Posted by Henry McCool | November 12, 2008 2:49 PM

Ticketmaster finally figured out how to make money off the cheapskates that but tickets at the box, true genius.

"Gee, I don't see no service charge, TicketMaster sure is great! I'm gonna buy an extra Toby Keith ticket just to thank them!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 3:15 PM

who can trust anyone named moriarty?

Posted by Lori | November 12, 2008 3:27 PM

Yeah, this is bullshit and stupid. I wish they would do away with all ticket sales and only do it at the box office. Make people go wait in line at the box office it they want to see a hot show. If scalpers want to fly from Idaho to NYC and spend all day sitting in line, then let them and hopefully they can make some money off the deal. This shit about everyone in the country competing for tickets without doing anything is crap. The Ticketmaster fees are just as bad as the scalpers that buy them and have no intention of going to the show. Bring back the lines at a box office.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:55 PM

Ha... there is a ticketmaster ad at the end of this Ticketmaster beatdown.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:56 PM

How are Ticketmaster still in business?

Venues/Artists should have figured out how to print their own tickets a *long* time ago for a lot less than $12/ticket.

Posted by andrew | November 12, 2008 8:43 PM

You are all a bunch of complaining babies. Yeah, the convenience fee sucks, but nobody is forcing you to buy tickets from Ticket Master. So either suck it up and fork over a few bucks or just go to the box office and risk not even getting a ticket. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's a damn business... and they're offering a service. I would much rather have them add in the cost up front so I'm not surprised at the end of the transaction. However, I don't think they should raise the price of the box office tickets.

One thing people seem to be confused about is that Ticketmaster isn't going to get the extra money if ticket prices are raised at the box office. The band would get that money... not ticketmaster.

Posted by StickRikky | November 9, 2009 1:42 PM