Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on November 19, 2008

photos by Tim Griffin

Vampire Weekend shows
Dec 3 @ Terminal 5 w/ The Teenagers
Dec 4 @ Terminal 5 w/ Telepathe
Dec 6 @ Terminal 5 w/ Fiasco & Air Bombay
Dec 8 @ Wellmont Theater w/ Ra Ra Riot
At the Woodies last week, Vampire Weekend played at the same time as Chromeo. Together they performed VW's "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" which is also the next single VW are releasing on XL on December 9th. You can watch the Woodies now at MTVU's site. More Chromeo Weekend pictures below....

mtvu woodies

mtvu woodies

mtvu woodies

Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend (Ezra) played with Fucked Up at the Rogan Store. Andrew WK played with Vampire Weekend at Summerstage. Andrew WK played with Bad Brilliance at Terminal 5.

Vampire Weekend are sitting down with the NY Times. You can watch.

Lykke Li played with Q-Tip at the Woodies. You can watch the Woodies at MTV's site.

Vampire Weekend - 2008 Tour Dates
Dec 1 9:30 Club w/ The Teenagers (SOLD OUT) WASHINGTON, Washington DC
Dec 2 9:30 Club w/ The Teenagers (SOLD OUT) Washington DC, Washington DC
Dec 3 Terminal 5 w/ The Teenagers (SOLD OUT) NEW YORK
Dec 4 Terminal 5 (SOLD OUT) New York, New York
Dec 6 Terminal 5 (SOLD OUT) New York, New York
Dec 7 Orpheum Theatre w/ Black Kids Boston, Massachusetts
Dec 8 Wellmont Theatre w/ Ra Ra Riot Montclair, New Jersey
Dec 12 Crystal Ballroom Portland, Oregon

aww. it's not every day a student gets to play on stage with his french teacher.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2008 9:41 PM

Dear Vampire Weekend,

please fuck off

signed,
the public

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2008 11:33 PM

why waste the energy hatin'?

spread the love, kids. spread the love of rock and roll. - r. pollard

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2008 11:39 PM

nice selection of openers!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 1:30 AM

Haha good call 9:41....

and 11:33 -- do you hate them for their Columbia degree, the fact that they're successful, or that they don't dress like you, but rather like the kids who didn't invite you to their high school parties?

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 1:50 AM

Vampire Weekend & Chromeo... Rock 'n' Roll is dead.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 8:46 AM

2 things:

Fiasco? I'm actually not surprised.

and

The lead singer looks like a young mr. burns (3rd pic from top.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:02 AM

Vampire Weekend= Jonas Brothers of Indie Rock

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:16 AM

Why does everyone already hate Vampire Weekend so much? They're fun, just give it a chance.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:40 AM

Scary band name for very easy listening pop.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 9:51 AM

Fake African accents and cheap imitations of African sounds = obvious gimmick that only a hipster would be stupid enough to fall for

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:05 AM

(Paul Simon - Talent)* Jonas Brothers = Vampire Weekend

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:08 AM

they make more money these days than our sh*t jobs. don't hate, congratulate

Posted by freddie mercury | November 20, 2008 10:19 AM

we like to shit on success. that's all there is to it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:22 AM

^ I'd rather make the money I do than play soulless, contrived, mainstream music in a sweeter than sugar band. I am angry that this schlock is mainstream and truly talented and brilliant African musicians, like Vieux Farka Toure or his father aren't even known in the West. It makes me angry.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:23 AM

^^well then do it, instead of b*tching and trying to name drop some obscure stuff you got off wikipedia. you sound like a politician.

Posted by freddie mercury | November 20, 2008 10:38 AM

I like Ali Farka Toure, I like Vieux, I like Fela and Femi Kuti, and many other African artists. I also like Paul Simon and Vampire Weekend. I like good music. Get over yourselves, seriously. The holier-than-thou attitude that prevails around here is really sickening sometimes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:41 AM

@ 10:38: Well said

@ 10:23: Your turn then. You toil away for hours, write some songs, write some lyrics, craft your music, record an album, tour incessantly, and then come back by BV to read crappy posts from crappier people about how your band is derivative and not as good as . Have you not done all of the above? Then get off your ass! Make a record that's better! Got a guitar? Got a computer? Do you have Logic, or hell, Garageband? Then you're halfway there!! What're you waiting on...the music world needs your brilliance, otherwise we'll be left with the likes of Vampire Weekend.

Posted by HeHateMe | November 20, 2008 10:49 AM

^the ad hominem attacks are really sexy.

not to mention classy.

vampire weekend isn't bad but they are in no way the incredibly talented lesser known genius's that 10:23 spoke of.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:53 AM

Vampire Weekend seriously look douchey to me.
Music is tolerable in a bar or dept. store.
But one look at these dudes and I want to puke.

Style counts. These guys don't have an ounce of it.

Jeeeezzz...

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:55 AM

Holy shit.. The VW singer even has one of those braided leather gap belts folded to point downward at his thingy area.

Somebody must be art directing this.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 10:59 AM

Somebody please dose VW with some liquid quick like!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 11:01 AM

well said 10:49, at least someone gets my point.
some of the haters are probably scared to even do karaoke in a room by themselves.

as far as style, do these guys need to wear tight american apparel tshirts and jeans and nike dunks to get people's approval?

Posted by freddie mercury | November 20, 2008 11:11 AM

wow, since everyone is apparently too fucking cool for VW, I guess I won't bother seeing if anyone wants 2 buy 2 tix to the Dec. 4th show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 11:13 AM

So let me get this straight. Because you think others are scared to be try to be as crappy as Vampire Weekend, you like Vampire Weekend because they are indeed as crappy as Vampire Weekend? Your logic makes no sense.

VW are completely middle of the road musicians with absolutely nothing impressive or visionary about them. Whether or not someone is scared to do karaoke in a bar, which is correctly put as an Ad Hominen attack by whoever said it, does not take the fact away that this band is completely unimpressive.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 11:18 AM

At Fred over at 11:11. Obviously your opinion of an "In" look is sub par. In fact, that's what you're probably wearing right now. Right?

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 11:23 AM

If Vampire Weekend dressed like bohemian trustafarians like MGMT all you hipsters would be all over their jock like the 2001 Strokes.

They make pretty pleasant, fun, inoffensive music, so your vitriol must be solely aimed at either their preppy dress, ivy league education, or just old-fashioned jealousy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 11:53 AM

wackness

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:09 PM

^^^ Uh.. No, it's the music too. Really gets on my nerves.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:10 PM

im not a hater but something indescribable bothers me to the point of nausea about this band... wheres the rock? and the lead singer needs to wipe that george bush smug look off his face before i break his jaw

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:13 PM

Oooh no! Image-conscious hipsters hating on preppy kids... never heard that one before!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:18 PM

12:18-- This isn't preppyness. Look at the keyboard player. That doesn't look preppy to me. Just looks confused. These dudes just have no style at all. And yes the music gets on my nerves too.

Hooray for this generations ability to suck all of the excitement out of Rock and Roll. Boring!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:30 PM

I'm going to see VW tonight...benefit show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:32 PM

All music comes from God. Even this junk.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:45 PM

here's some cool rehearsal footage too of the band's working on their shit - funny to see q-tip and lykke flirtting

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 12:53 PM

Everyone one here bitching about their clothes are just pathetic. Its whats wrong with generation.

Their music is fun, and sorry not everyone wants to make arty hard to listen music for lame hipsters.ie Animal Collective.

At least their not the strokes and shy away from their upper class ubringing..Casablancas went to Dwight for chrissakes, that tuition is more money than your parents ever made.

Plus, they dress better than most artists i've seen recently. And no, hoddies and ray bans are not style points.

Posted by Black Jesus | November 20, 2008 1:06 PM

I think a damn fine lookin hoddie is certainly a style point.
I love me some hoddies. I love hittin my hoddie. I love lovin and showing my hoddies a good time....

And sheeit.. After watchin that MTV vid I think them muthfuggas a cute as pie. I shit. They're like muthafuggin cupkakes. You know they perverts. I mean real perverted.

You go boyz!

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 1:18 PM

preppies suck

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2008 6:18 PM

You're right 11:23 - jealousy is a stinky cologne.

Also, VW is ten times better than MGMT. Let the hatin begin.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2008 5:02 PM

horrible show...unless you're a die-hard, scalp your tix...

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 9:06 AM

the show ended at 10:15.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 10:39 AM

what time did VW go on last night?

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 1:14 PM

same question as anon 1:14

Posted by brian | December 4, 2008 2:27 PM

Teenagers were 8-830, VW were like 920-1040

Vampire Weekend were excellent. Loved the string section... The best I've seen them. The singer's voice sounds even better live than on record.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 2:36 PM

they were on at 915 sharp last night. I'd call the venue or mercury lounge before assuming its the same tonight though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 2:37 PM

Setlist and photos for the 12/8/08 Terminal 5 show are at WNEW.com.

Posted by Anonymous | December 7, 2008 1:16 AM

They are trying to be different, I know bands often get a lot of stick for trying to be different and innovative. However sometimes you just have to know when then music you create is just shitty and pointless.

I am not amused.

I am also from the UK so it's not just America that thinks they suck :P.

Posted by mizu | February 4, 2009 8:56 AM

If you hate them, why bother searching for them,just get on with listening to the bands and music you like.

If you like them,well that's what you like so no one can say anything.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 10:34 AM