Posted in music | tour dates on November 26, 2008

Black KidsGhostland Observatory

KTXT (88.1 FM) out of Texas posted their list of the 10 most disappointing albums of 2008 on their blog The Couch. This is what they came up with...

10. Weezer - The Red Album
9. The Raveonettes - Lust Lust Lust
8. Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
7. Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
6. CSS - Donkey
5. Ghostland Observatory - Robotique Majestique
4. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer
3. Beck - Modern Guilt
2. Cold War Kids - Loyalty to Loyalty
1. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cardinology
What does your list look like? Where does Chinese Democracy rank on it?

What are your favorites?

CSS play Webster Hall on December 17th & 18th. Tickets are still on sale. Ghostland Obersvatory are playing Terminal 5 in NYC on December 12th. Tickets are still on sale. Black Kids are playing a private party at Bowery Ballroom on December 9th (no tickets). If you weren't too disappointed, the rest of the BK & GO tour dates below...

Black Kids - 2008 Tour Dates
December 6 - Providence, RI @ Club Hell
December 7 - Boston, MA @ Wilbur Theatre (WFNX show)
December 9 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom (private party)
December 10 - Los Angeles, CA @ Club Nokia (Indie 103 show)
December 11 - Austin, TX @ Emos (KROX show)

Ghostland Observatory - 2008 Tour Dates

Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
The Faint - Fasciinatiion
Peter Bjorn and John - Seaside Rock
Kings of Leon - Only by the Night
The Streets - Everything is Borrowed
Tapes n Tapes - Walk it Off
British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?
Leona Lewis' album

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 8:00 PM

There is hardly anything more idiotic and sensationalistic than compiling "Worst of" lists. This one is not as bad, but comes close.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 8:08 PM

the wolf parade album is amazing who the fuck is ktxt

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 8:24 PM

@ Anon 8:00
Good list. I didn't even realize The Streets came out with an album.

@ Anon 8:08
Saying an album is disappointing is kind of a compliment. I think you're getting carried away.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 8:27 PM

If "disappointing" means "everybody said it was great and then I listened to it and it's pretty terrible" then I'll go Hercules & Love Affair.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 8:49 PM

I don't know why Wolf Parade is on this list. Admittedly, there are a couple of weak tracks, but overall the record holds up well.

I would throw Okkervil River on there in place of both Wolf Parade and Beck.

I find the fact that anyone would like Coldplay at all very disappointing.

Posted by TWB | November 26, 2008 9:00 PM

Is it too early to be making a list? Some interesting choices there. I think music in general has been lacking lately....

Posted by Vegan Diet Eating Out Menu | November 26, 2008 9:01 PM

CSS was pretty good. Not as good as the first, but not an epic sophomore fail like most bands nowadays.

Most disappointing:
Of Montreal

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:02 PM

i agree with a lot of albums listed. many of the albums listed suck but to many are not disappointing b/c not much was expected in first place (i.e., Ryan Adams).

i think one of most disappointing was black angels album - such an amazing band with an amazing debut album. the 2008 album is not terrible, but i expected better.

on other hand, snow patrol's new album is surprisingly good - their last album sucked ass. same with kaiser chiefs - not a great band at all, but new album better than expected.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:09 PM

Totally agree with the Okkervil River album mention. I loved the Stage Names, the new one is seriously weak.

I really, really liked the Wolf Parade record though. Hmm.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:19 PM

jukebox by cat power. awful, awful, awful.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:19 PM

almost everyone i know would put the wolf parade album in their top 10 (if not top 5) indie rock albums of the year. i like cardinology also. bedlam in goliath (mars volta) was really disappointing though. they're already done recording their next album though so there is hope.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:26 PM

The Couch dude does qualify his reasons for putting Wolf Parade on there:

"I’m gonna go easy on Spencer in this paragraph; in actuality, this album isn’t really that bad. There are some key moments, like the ever-catchy “Language City” and the bouncy “Call It a Ritual.” And don’t even get me started on how awesome “Soldier’s Grin” is. The only reason this album ranks so high on the disappointment scale is because it had to follow up to Apologies to the Queen Mary. And when that’s the case, and you’ve got even a little bit of filler, you’re destined to be a second-rate record in comparison.
"

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:45 PM

I really, really liked the Wolf Parade record though. Hmm.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 9:54 PM

>>jukebox by cat power. awful, awful, awful.

could - not - agree - more. it's so painful to listen to her voice these days. you can just hear her trying so hard which is oh such a sad fall from where she used to effortlessly whisper magic into the mic. the new version of 'metal heart' is abominable.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:19 PM

The most overrated records of the year are by Foals, Fleet Foxes, Dodos, oh lord, who cares....most of the stuff covered on here is just hipster garbage.

Posted by Caitlin Cary Is Better | November 26, 2008 10:24 PM

Not everything you don't get is hipster garbage. Uncut chose the Fleet Foxes album "Album of the Year." It's a British magazine that concentrates more on classic rock and Americana. It is indeed one of the best of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:31 PM

i was most let down by TVOTR

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:32 PM

only by the night <<< everything else

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:49 PM

Yes I also vote for TVOTR. Very disappointed.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:52 PM

808s and heartbreak, biggest disappointment

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 10:52 PM

The Okkervil River album is definitely a grower. I wasn't into it at first either but it grew on me as I listened to it more and more and now I'd say it's really great.

Also, I think the Raveonettes album was one of the best of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 11:02 PM

How did anyone have high expectations for the black kids album. they were bad from the very beginning

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 11:05 PM

The new Killers album is a piece of shit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 11:07 PM

what useless shit!

Posted by linda | November 26, 2008 11:39 PM

bloc party?

Posted by Anonymous | November 26, 2008 11:40 PM

Raveonettes "Lust Lust Lust" is great! Sounded good live too....

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:04 AM

Chinese Democracy was better than expected, but most folks expected completely unlistenable tripe. Axl can still write a song, it seems he just can't complete it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:07 AM

I thought Cardinology was quite great. But then again, if you haven't like anything since Heartbreaker (or God forbid like the fucker above, something from Whiskey Town), then I guess nothing will make you happy.

Conor Oberst was very disappointing. oh well

Posted by Tommy | November 27, 2008 12:20 AM

I think the Faint album was solid

And tapes n tapes are better than the consensus reached on this blog

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:20 AM

i thought Bedlam was Mars Volta's best work since De-loused

i loved the TVOTR the first couple of weeks, but now i don't really feel like listening to it again... i guess not a lot of staying power...

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:21 AM

Most disappointing: The "Sex and the City" movie...

I'm kidding! I never saw it.

>>> the new version of 'metal heart' is abominable.

Agreed, but that song about stalking Bob Dylan is frightening.

>>> Why would Ryan even make your list? He hasn't put out a record worth s**t since "Stranger's Almanac".

I haven't checked out "Cardinology" but Mr. Ryan David Adams has put out a handful of worthwhile material since Whiskeytown (Heartbreaker, Jacksonville City Nights, Cold Roses... even Whiskeytown's swan-song, Pneumonia) even while being a totally embarrassing pseudo celebrity.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:50 AM

oh, the beck is solid. poo poo to this list.

to add: jenny lewis.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 1:06 AM

I honestly thought that Beck's 'Modern Guilt' was very good. I thought that it was better than 'The Information' and a good direction for him, though his vocals on 'Modern Guilt' could have been stronger. But in the end, I liked it.

Posted by Ken | November 27, 2008 1:29 AM

MMJ's Evil Urges and Cat Power's Jukebox.

Posted by Eduardo | November 27, 2008 1:38 AM

how did the Raveonettes "lust lust lust" make that list? that record was quite solid. the list-compiler is a complete mongoloid.

Posted by rosa lux | November 27, 2008 1:40 AM

Some of the most inane lyrics I've heard in a long time on that CSS album. Wolf Parade is maybe the most overrated band this side of Arcade Fire - pretentious crap.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 1:46 AM

I'd put the following on my list:

weezer
Kanye 808
vampire weekend (great for the first 5-10 listens, then gets really really old)
mates of state
kings of leon
the hold steady (way way way overrated, boys and girls was so much better)

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:24 AM

honestly? of montreal. i know he tried to prepare us in interviews by saying that the new record was going to be dark and ugly, but my god.....

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:48 AM

Kanye-where did you go player?
Okkervil-not even close to your prior cd's
Weezer-WTF?

Posted by Lutkie | November 27, 2008 4:04 AM

Booooo to this writer-- Beck and Wolf Parade are two solid albums. One albums is quintessential music for driving around Los Angeles and the other is filled with liberal musical shifts that explore crescendos of bliss.

The rest of the list is pretty accurate though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 7:26 AM

Posted by Distractions | November 27, 2008 8:37 AM

"Wow, critics just love to hate on Ryan Adams, don't they? They should just lay off him."

Are you his publicist?

CSS is such a dissappointing band to begin with I don't know why they are on any list.

Posted by Dooder City | November 27, 2008 9:41 AM

the new singing style of chan marshall. lover her, but come on

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 11:01 AM

the hold steady for sure - that record kind of sucks huh?

tv on the radio too - disappointments galore there.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 11:12 AM

with you on the new Chan

sure do miss the old alcoholic one
was so much better

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 11:35 AM

I almost feel bad for the tapes n tapes guys. So nice, yet that album went nowhere

guess it's not really that good huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 11:40 AM

jamie lidell - Jim
the streets - everything is borrowed
TVOTR - dear science (it's not that good)
weezer - red (not surprising, but disappointing nonetheless)

Posted by joe | November 27, 2008 11:53 AM

thanks to all of you blogosphere types, bands compromise more before they ever get out of the gate (because we've pretty much been reduced to a 3 minute pop song based industry again) and then burn out faster once they get noticed.

it's no surprise that every band's sophomore release is terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 11:56 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:24 PM

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:29 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:33 PM

Yeah I think Lust Lust Lust was a great album.

Posted by Joel | November 27, 2008 12:36 PM

"TV ON THE RADIO?!?!?! Again, anyone listing Dear Science as disappointing is out of their gourd. By far the most poetic, inspiring, and perfectly crafted record for these exact moments in America. You guys are insane."

I agree, they blow me away every time.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 12:51 PM

Sorry. But I was disappointed by Dear Science, too.
Tried to like it. I really did.
Failed.

The biggest disappointment was My Morning Jacket, though. Ugh.

Posted by Jack | November 27, 2008 12:58 PM

> tv on the radio, cat power, of montreal

these people were all better years ago, now just trudging along because you fools will keep buying

> tapes n tapes, my morning jacket, css, etc

these people always sucked and you just have poor taste

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 1:03 PM

In Therapy

02. Nine Inch Nails
The Downward Spinal Tap

01. Guns N Roses
I Care Because You, Dude

Posted by greg | November 27, 2008 1:41 PM

I need lists to decide what I like and what I don't.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 1:52 PM

no homo but we cockin 'em

Posted by greg jr | November 27, 2008 1:54 PM

1) vampire weekend
2) death cab (considering how good "plans" was)
3) cat power
4) kanye
5) jenny lewis and her fur coats - let's face it, she hasn't done anything noteworthy in a long time
6) gnarls barkley
7) girl talk - even though it was't that bad; it was just no night ripper

i also agree with what was said about hercules and love affair. they came off to me like a second-rate lcd soundsystem. maybe i didn't listen to them enough...

Posted by nick | November 27, 2008 2:07 PM

Jenny Lewis and Beck both rank up their pretty highly.

I posted my top 10 disappointments on my blog here:

Posted by TO Snob | November 27, 2008 2:09 PM

>>Anyone who thinks the Of Montreal disk is "disappointing" is not giving it the fair shake it deserves, and or they are not paying close enough attention.

seconded

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:16 PM

lust lust lust? no way. fuck off.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:26 PM

Evil Urges is an amazing record, those who hate it should give it another listen. MMJ has produced a blast of electrofunkrock sprinkled with classic pop and rock tunes ... this is a great band at the top of their game.

Posted by EliDManheim | November 27, 2008 2:40 PM

I just think Of Montreal is a fucking joke, so they'll probably suck no matter what they're doing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:52 PM

half of "evil urges" kinda stinks.

the new verve album isn't too good.

the cat power covers album is a snooze fest.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 2:54 PM

Worst of 08' that i've heard:

Titus andronicus
Vivian Grrlz
okkerveil river
squarepusher

i dunno- i try not to listen to shitty music

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 3:06 PM

Wolf Parade = unlistenable

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 3:19 PM

"My biggest disappointment was Sun Kil Moon's April. I love Mark Kozalek's first Sun Kil Moon, but this was just too dismal."

Strongly Disagree. The first three songs on APRIL are better than most of the albums released this year. (now him live, with his pissy attitude, is another story)

Dodos=overrated

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 5:20 PM

These lists are destroying music. Fuck them forever and ever and fuck all for partaking in listing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 6:31 PM

Top 5 Best Moves:

5. Gorilla Mask
4. The Minivan
3. A.M.T.
2. Jack Daniels Rim Runner
1. Blumpkin Vagina Platypus

Posted by Top 5 | November 27, 2008 9:12 PM

YO ANON 3:06!!!!!!!

i think your opinion of worst 08 seriously sucks. i am curious what you think is good for 08 so far.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2008 9:36 PM

human highway - moody motorcycle
coco not- cosa astral
foals- antidotes
no age - nouns
animal collective - water curses
ruby suns - sea lion

is that enough? may have missed one or two. are you a cute girl? would you like to meet and discuss this over a drink in real life perhaps?

Posted by Anon 306 | November 28, 2008 12:32 AM

I would say

New Times Viking
Cat Power
Ryan Adams
Wolf Parade

Posted by Foreigner | November 28, 2008 12:35 AM

Wow. Wolf Parade's "At Mount Zoomer" and Beck's "Modern Guilt" easily both make my top 10 lists. At Mount Zoomer easily trumps Queen's Mary IMHO.. and Modern Guilt is Beck back at his best - what really wet's my appetite (for destruction) is the fact the he and Danger Mouse record 30 tracks for this album and only put 10 on there for us to hear! (Orphans and Gamma Ray - 2 fantastic tracks were the first two they recorded!)... Both those records are definitely worth putting on "Most Underrated" lists for 2008. The shame. The Blame. The modern guilt.

Posted by jesrobot | November 28, 2008 2:37 AM

It's a list of "Most Disappointing" albums, not worst you stupid hipsters... and yet you still bring up your vitriol towards Vampire Weekend haha, a debut album that received universal critical acclaim (an 82 on 'Metacritic'), but is still hated on by hipsters who hate the idea of preppy rich kids as successful indie rockers.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 3:52 AM

Nobody cares what you losers think.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 5:07 AM

fuck this shit

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 7:22 AM

ANON 3:06,
Sorry, but i am not a cute girl. I agree with most of your 'best 08'. Titus Andronicus and Vivian Girls may not be your taste, i don't know, but you should consider a relisten to both of them. I would definitely add them to the 'best 08' so far. And Dr.Dog -fate, idk if that came out in 08 though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 9:08 AM

TVOTR's Dear Science is one of the best I've heard this year. No bull.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 10:51 AM

anon 3:06 and anon 9:08 - don't let the fact that one of you is not a cute girl dissuade you in any way from meeting up. You might find an odd physical attraction between yourselves regardless and venture into the world of butt-sex.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 12:24 PM

so does this mean people were expecting a lot from ryan adams' new album? while it's not great, it's certainly better than "easy tiger."

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 1:17 PM

12:24 -- muy brilliante.

Posted by BUTTSEX 4 PRESIDENTS | November 28, 2008 2:34 PM

"06. TV On The Radio
The Unbearable Likeness of Being Baristas Again"

A+++ would read again

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2008 6:24 PM

yo 1224 i loves same sex

Posted by 908 | November 28, 2008 6:25 PM

Lust, Lust, Lust was pretty good i thought.

Posted by Joe | November 28, 2008 7:30 PM

all former underground bands who are now enjoying a bit of mainstream success albums' are dissapointing according to the readers.

Big surprise.

Posted by rod munch | November 28, 2008 8:43 PM

^^^ That's not true: look at my band! We used to be underground!!! We are still making awesome albums...aren't we? AREN'T WE??

:: tears in eyes ::

Posted by Kirk Hammett | November 29, 2008 12:21 PM

If it aint wet enough (hea) get dat dookie love on (bitch)

If it to dry she bout to cry get that dookie love on

Rub it on ha back massage it in (stick dick) put it in

If ya wonna get that booty whole tou got use that dookie love

Dookie Dookie Dookie (oh my booty)

Posted by Trillville | November 29, 2008 2:42 PM

I'm just disappointed in myself :(

Posted by Anonymous | November 29, 2008 2:54 PM

AC/DC
Metallica
Guns N Roses

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2008 2:12 AM

That is a band I think you all might like. It is their new ep leak, I included the cover and everything. They recently opened the Psychic TV CD/DVD release party.

Their name is Darling's Cabinet of Sundry Horror, and its kind of like gothic folk/protopunk/indie/circus music, For fans of the birtday party and the violent femmes, and maybe even marilyn manson or Tom waits.

www.myspace.com/darlingscabinetofsundryhorror

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2008 10:39 AM

"kind of like gothic folk/protopunk/indie/circus music"

FAIL.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2008 12:31 PM

Bloc Party's new one is awesome. TVOTR's is their best yet by far.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2008 12:22 PM

TVOTR really blew it. Album stinks big time.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2008 3:26 PM

This list is most disappointing for including The Raveonettes' "Lust Lust Lust."

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2008 4:12 PM

Wasn't expecting such a poor performance from Ryan Adams.

Posted by Kathy J. Poynter | December 16, 2010 10:00 AM