Posted in music | pictures on November 12, 2008

Gelatin's dad, bottom left of the picture
Integrity

gelatin posted this on November 9th, 2008 @ 2:12:06 pm

So, I met up with my dad at the Dirty Dog Saloon [in Austin, TX] before the [fun fun fun] fest. I didn't get a chance to eat anything, and we decided we'd have a couple of drinks and then go get some food. Well, about 8 pints later and I still hadn't eaten and it was time to go to the fest.

My dad didn't buy a ticket, so he hopped the fence and somehow didn't get busted. I almost immediately lost him in the crowd. And many hours later when I eventually found him, he was totally wasted and missing a shoe. Apparently, a "skinhead" had pushed him into the mosh pit. My dad didn't take kindly to that so he poured his beer over the dude's head and they got into a fist fight. I guess the cops pulled my dad off the dude and that's when he lost his shoe.

Somehow the cops decided my dad was an innocent victim in all of it and they let him back into the fest, even though he didn't have a wristband. After the fest we couldn't remember where he parked so we walked to my friend's car which was really really far away, and I guess the walk really fucked up my dad's foot.

We finally found his car, but for some reason he had brought a gas-powered generator with him, and it had tipped over in the car (which was a rental). So the car just overwhelmingly reeks of gasoline. However, he insisted he'd be fine and was just gonna sleep in the car for a while. And I left with my friends.

He called me this morning and somehow made it home. Still with only one shoe.

While searching for my dad I ran into Teebro, and The Dead Milkmen were every bit as terrific as I hoped they'd be. I think I've had enough my dad for a while. [gelatin]

I never thought I would find out who the man I saw almost die in the pit during Integrity's set at Fun Fun Fun Fest in Austin on Saturday was. I also never thought I would find out how the fight started. Somehow, not only did I find a message board with a description of the incident (see above), the whole thread is amazingly dedicated to this man who "gelatin" claims is her/his dad.

I noticed the fight when, all a sudden, all of the scariest members of the pit acknowledged knowing each other by packing together with their eyes locked on this guy (gelatin's dad), and with their faces clearly reading "kill". I was really scared for their target. Now I understand why they were so pissed off.

On a related note, when I saw gelatin's dad (I realize stereotyping is not good), my first thought was, "this guy paid to come to this festival?". I now know the answer to that question. And speaking of sterotyping, it is unconfirmed whether these guys actually consider themselves "skinheads" (You'll notice gelatin also put "skinheads" in quotes), but it worked for the title, and I'm sure they're very nice guys normally..... More pictures of the attack below...

you should really think twice before spilling beer on someone's head
Integrity

dad wondering if anyone is going to save his life
Integrity

someone pushing dad to his death
Integrity

security? saving dad's life
Integrity

At the time I had no idea what was going on at this point. The security/cops were in plain clothes I guess. There was just a mass splitting of the crowd with people grabbing in every direction. I wasn't sure if dad was being dragged out to an alley to be killed or if he was being saved...

Integrity

Integrity

More pictures from day one of Fun Fun Fest day one, including a couple of Integrity (the band that was playing while this all went down), HERE.

america is f'd up

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:28 PM

integrity always had the dumbest, racist fans. there was another band on early victory...one life crew that just always brought out the trash.

i remember that whole crown of thornz/integrity beef years ago...this is the kind of douchebag stuff that destroyed hardcore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:28 PM

i didn't realize skinheads still exist! were there rudeboys there too?

Posted by d | November 12, 2008 12:31 PM

red state.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:31 PM

white people...

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:33 PM

^^exactly...

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:35 PM

That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Gelatin's dad 4 life!!!

Posted by Tremags | November 12, 2008 12:35 PM

one life crew, HA!

i hadn't thought about them in years. good to see there's still meatheads out there giving beat downs in the pit at integrity shows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 12:37 PM

Sounds like he deserved at least one good punch.
Jumping the fence at such a reasonably priced fest, especially good bargain with all the great bands.

Who names there son Gelatin anyways! Should have named him Jello after Mr. Biafra.

Posted by TXn | November 12, 2008 12:47 PM

Those guys look like meatheads, not skinheads.

Posted by Regular reader | November 12, 2008 12:55 PM

This is fucking amazing. Also, my dad claims that he broke his finger during the brawl. Anyways, awesome pics!!

-gelatin

Posted by gelatin | November 12, 2008 12:57 PM

i can't believe they let that dipshit back into the fest. when the cops asked him how he got to the fest he just said "ooooooooowwwwwwwwwww man!" and wobbled back and forth. he clearly needed to be let back into a teeming mass of angry meatheads.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:02 PM

Texas is stupid man, plain and simple. I should know, I'm from there (and got the hell out as fast as I possibly could!)

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:06 PM

I pray that when I am 52, I am hopping the fence to go pour beer on skinheads and get into brawls at Integrity shows

This man has figured shit out. Gelatin's dad is my new role model.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:08 PM

Hey 12:33, those folks are indeed white. So what's your point?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:08 PM

so, someones dumbass drunk dad starts a fight and all of a sudden everyones a racist skinhead? morons

Posted by xPx | November 12, 2008 1:25 PM

the whole 'I'll just let my dad sleep in his car that reeks of gasoline cuz his gas generator tipped over in a (parked) (rental) car while he was busy climbing over a fence to pour beer over someones head and get into fights with musclebound meatheads half his age at an integrity show' part is even more interesting than the fight itself. Dysfunctional alcoholic families rock!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:27 PM

Hey, Gelatin - please post some pics of your family's get-together this Xmas. Also, in case you're stumped about what to get Dad, here's a hint - he could use a shoe!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:33 PM

is this gelatin from postal blowfish?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:34 PM

hahahahahahaha

i'm the dude in the red jersey, and for the record, i was merely an observer of what went down.

that old man just messed with the wrong dudes at the wrong time.

he wasn't the only person to get hit/thrown out during Integrity's set, either.

Posted by skinhead x jai | November 12, 2008 1:36 PM

Bottom Line... this old guy shouldn't have been in the fest, no better the homosexual hippie punks that were thrown out earlier for not paying. On top of that, he didnt know how to party, obviously cant hold his drunken stooper to make the right choices in life.

He deserves everything that came to him.

And just because someone has as shaved head, doesn't mean they are a "skinhead"

And you being from NYC, I feel ashamed to be from the same state as you. You obviously have know idea how hardcore shows work. And have no idea what you are talking about. Please go back to the village and drink your $10 latte, and blog some more about your hipster ways and alleged vast music knowledge.

eat a bag of dicks and stay out of texas, fruit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:45 PM

anon 1:45

I have "KNOW" idea what I'm talking about but your mom is hardcore.

I "NO" what hardcore is about. Your mother.

Posted by rod munch | November 12, 2008 1:48 PM

oh boy. i smell a shit-storm a'comin.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:52 PM

guy in red jersey--you're a rather large fellow.

guy that made long-winded, unintelligent, babble of a post on a site dedicated to NYC hipsterdom--you're fat and stupid.

moral of the story: hardcore "skinheads"=fat and stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:56 PM

and just because somebody lost a shoe in the pit, doesn't mean they are a "one-shoe"

and just because somebody is pouring beer on your head, doesn't mean you are a "sticky-ears"

now that the terminology's cleared up... THIS OLD GUY IS HARDER THAN CORE.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:59 PM

"And just because someone has as shaved head, doesn't mean they are a "skinhead""

Which is exactly what was written in the post:

"And speaking of sterotyping, it is unconfirmed whether these guys actually consider themselves "skinheads" (You'll notice gelatin also put "skinheads" in quotes), but it worked for the title, and I'm sure they're very nice guys normally"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 1:59 PM

I think i know how Hardcore shows work.
A bunch of dudes stand around hitting each other because they are too scared to admit that they really wanna kiss each other.
You guys are text book meat-head closet cases.
You can keep your scene and Texas.

Posted by Happy Hippie | November 12, 2008 2:03 PM

To clarify, after all this went down my dad told me that he got into a fight with a "skinhead". It's obvious he doesn't know what a skinhead is, but since I didn't see this happen I was just going by what he told me.

I gotta go get a latte now.

-gelatin

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:04 PM

all in all, it was a fun, fun fest

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:06 PM

WAAAAAHHHHHH WAAAAAHHHHHH MOMMY BAD SKINHEADS ARE GONNA GET ME WAAAAHHHHHHH TEXAS HAS MEAN PEOPLE WAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:08 PM

“I’d hit it”
--skinhead in the red jersey

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:10 PM

Rednecks. Gotta love em'

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:13 PM

Hardcore was cool up until the late 90s when I realized "Why the F am I wearing a basketball jersey to a concert and paying to be angry in a "positive" way??!?!?!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:14 PM

^Haha! Too true. Plus Integrity shows and meatheads are like milk and cookies.

"THIS OLD GUY IS HARDER THAN CORE"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:22 PM

BCO: no longer hip's best kept secret

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 2:46 PM

ANON 1:06

Texas is amazing.
You sound like you just were the Texas type. Plus, you called yourself stupid ("I should know, I'm from there") in your own comment! Nice work Idiot.

Enjoy France and your Latte.

Posted by TXn | November 12, 2008 2:50 PM

Cmon Dudes, go back to Dallas/Houston/San Antonio

Posted by peter | November 12, 2008 2:51 PM

Ok, I couldn't imagine my dad jumping the fence at a show...so funny.
what a bunch of ignorant jerks...i bet they are mccain supporters.

Posted by Dooder City | November 12, 2008 2:55 PM

On a vaguely related note, this reminds me of that time I was "dancing" and screaming at a Ministry show during Just One Fix, and my beer suddenly flew up and out of the cup in slow motion and landed SPLAT on this really huge (not fat) guy with a shaved head. I've never apologized so much in my life. Anyway he was awesome and thought it was funny and we went back to rocking out.

Maybe everyone should just listen to Ministry?

Posted by Lori | November 12, 2008 3:09 PM

hmmm.
I think this is overblown. I worked at a punk club for years and this "fight" was nothing and over in a second, with security quickly escorting the guy out. He shouldn't have been there (jumped the fence) and was barely sober enough to stand up...HE started a fight and was thrown out, plain and simple. Sounds like even Gelatin is admitting this of his dad. NONE of the ppl involved were skins, but were def toughguy hc kids...but who cares? Let's put it THIS way:

Really, if a drunk old man snuck into an independent festival put on by people in the scene and during ST VINCENT walked up to an indie rock kid with an american apparel shirt on and poured a beer over his head and a fight almost broke out there would NOT be this thread. It wouldn't be newsworthy and people would only say "man what a dirtbag, glad he got thrown out, that kids with the american apparel shirt was right to take a swing, etc." But since it's HC kids, it's "dumb, racist, texans, etc."
Pretty silly, if you ask me.

Posted by gregerz | November 12, 2008 3:15 PM

something, something, texas is the reason.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 3:21 PM

if yr 52, any time you fuck with dudes is "the wrong time" and any dudes you fuck with are "the wrong dudes"

but nothing all day will make me laugh as hard as the photo "Dad wondering if anyone is going to save his life"... genius.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 3:35 PM

i think it'd be even MORE stupid if it was at a st. vincent show and blah blah blah.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 3:36 PM

^^
Are you kidding me? That'd be the best St. Vincent show EVER!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 3:54 PM

you see this sort of thing all the time on the upper east side when frat dudes and bankers start fighting over who lost more money in the market.

texas is awesome btw, i'm from there. go horns!

Posted by freddie mercury | November 12, 2008 3:59 PM

those moshing dudes are homos just finding a way to touch each other.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:04 PM

touche anon 3:54, ya got me.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:22 PM

this is a great post :)

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:27 PM

Gelatin's dad for UN Ambassador in the Obama administration!

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 4:40 PM

"First off, I watched the whole thing from where I was standing. First off this old man was pushing people, trying to be hip. Your dad didn't didnt pour the beer on him because that dude pushed him in, your dad was trying to be cool, not sure how. He was pouring the beer and hooting and smiling and laughing. Thus the dude pushed your dad and said some choice words, along the lines of what the fuck old man... Your dad put his hands up in the air and fronted like he wanted to fight. Thus your dad getting botted by one of integrity fans boys. Thus your dad backed up, still looking for a fight. I grabbed your dad and pushed him back out of the crowd and told him to get the fuck out of here. Then 5 dudes were after your drunk ass dad, your dad still looking to fight. There was no fight, security pulled your dad out, still trying to punch and fight.

He deserves everything that came to him.

And just because someone has as shaved head, doesn't mean they are a "skinhead"

eat a bag of dicks and stay out of texas, fruit."

Ahhhh... FIRST OFF latte's are more like $5. Question to you east or west village? FIRST OFF my hair is falling out so THUS I shave what I have left. "OI OI OI" to that! Bag of Dicks? YUM!

Posted by TexasFruit | November 12, 2008 5:40 PM

Don't they sell bags of dicks only in Texas?

I bet that dude sits in his dad's condo on a friday night drinking fresca.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 6:50 PM

COMMENTS TONIGHT BROUGHT TO YOU EXCLUSIVELY BY NONE OTHER THAN HOT TOPIC

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 6:54 PM

I threw that dude out to save his life. Actually stopped in the middle of the incident to keep guys from hitting him while I pulled him to the door. He was very drunk. Not that big of a deal. It would have turned out VERY badly had he been left to his own devices for about 45 more seconds. That would have been a big deal.
Meatheaded Plainclothes Texan.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 7:14 PM

hardcore shows really are the cesspools of society. no joke. is anyone surprised? also L.O.L at the one guy who was a casual observer coming to defend his shaved head brethren. 'i'm not a skinhead, but also know hippyhomos at ma shows!'

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 9:22 PM

Um, can someone post Integrity's setlist?

Did they open with Vocal Test into Hollow?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2008 11:22 PM

one of the best threads ever here.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2008 9:31 AM

I love that certain "punks" here think they're better than "hippies", "homosexual hippies" and "hipsters". You're all cultural reactionaires!

Posted by nygrump | November 13, 2008 11:02 AM

Let me be the first to say......

MIIIIIIIIIIICHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Posted by rkb | November 13, 2008 11:08 AM

there are a bunch of angry rednecks smashing macbook airs in texas

Posted by hipster hospital | November 13, 2008 1:55 PM

I love how everybody thinks that beer on your shirt equals rightous fight time. Don't calmly talk to the guy and convey that his enthusiastic party attitude is misplaced at a hardcore show, just fight him, 5 young dudes on 1 old man. Because that's what sensible human beings do.
(I hope you can smell the sarcasm here)

That's probably why they were so easily dubbed skinheads, because that's the sort of dumb logic they think up. Stereotyping? Yes, but by being so stereotypical, you've asked for it.

Posted by Porkins | November 13, 2008 4:58 PM

I am the plain clothed cop/security that threw the old man out. I am a skinhead (and for all you web kids, i am anti-racist, very much so) and in all those pictures i am probably the only skinhead. Grey shirt and glasses, and yea i am a fat kid right now, i like beer and food so what. 1. next time you want to take pictures, try and get my good side, without the double chin. 2. Pops was being an asshole, no one beat him up, he deserved it, but we stopped it from happening. that is part of my job, to stop fights. 3. when i grabbed him, he tried to fight me, i told him i was not trying to hurt or fight him, yet he continued to curse at me and swing at me with his free hand. I was getting him away from getting hurt. 4. he did not pay to get into the show, would have gotten tossed anyway.

Moral of the story: do not be a dick to people at shows or otherwise and you will not get hurt. No racism No politics No anything, just do not be a dick and you will not have problems.

To anyone else: i know this is a message board but unless you were there, shut up, for fucks sake, shut up!!! Keep you opinion to yourself or say it in public, not behind a computer in your apartment/home/duplex/library, etc.

Posted by balls | November 14, 2008 5:16 AM

is anyone still doing the texas two step?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 12:28 PM

Ummm
Skinheads don't wear shorts and Vans from Marshalls™, nor do they wear Basketball jerseys or have manicured beards...

Fact checker please...

still amazing though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2008 1:31 PM

The shirtless kid pictured is not a skinhead.
He is, however, a wannabe-tough-guy douche who desperately wants to be accepted!
Get a life Paolo. And cover up your fat belly.

Posted by Bertram Vargas | November 17, 2008 10:24 PM

I think a lot of older dudes, like in their 40s or 50s, who somehow happen to wander into a hardcore or metal show hear angry music and assume its alright to start a fight and be physically aggressive with no rhyme or reason. It happens. That one guy in the Cleveland Jersey was definitely throwing fists around liberaly. I think everyone knows that it happening in Texas is besides the point. There are a lot of fat asses who listen to Integrity, though. Something about Holy Terror and not eating when your full doesn't seem to gel.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2008 6:33 PM

thats me with the white eyes in the last pic

Posted by mike | November 20, 2008 1:28 PM

Paolo is fat. Fat shit rocks.
Fuck you, you fucking fuck. He went to Texas because Ohio hates him.

Posted by WHATTT | December 12, 2008 12:41 AM