Posted in music | video on November 5, 2008

Michael Stipe in Santiago, Chile - Nov 4, 2008 (Loretín)
Michael Stipe

Girl Talk announces a new president in Milwaukee - Nov 4, 2008 (leslie!!)
Girl Talk

Where were you when Obama was announced the winner last night? After spending some time in Rockefeller Center with thousands of people and NBC, I was actually at (le) poisson rouge in the West Village when CNN made their announcement (on two large screens). Everyone went nuts and started dancing while music like "We are the Champions" was blasting through the soundsystem (I guess McCain supporters knew to stay away from events like these?). Kyle was at The Bell House with a similar experience. Oprah was in Chicago's Grant Park (home of Lollapalooza). Ryan was wondering if Clues were ever going to go on. Others were at other concerts...

Girl Talk played Milwaukee. R.E.M. was in Santiago while Madonna performed in San Diego. Smashing Pumpkins were up in Toronto and Bad Brains had a hometown show in DC. Videos from those shows and more below...

Fort Greene, NYC

Obama Won - Madonna concert in San Diego

REM announces the winner in Santiago

East Village, NYC

Billy Corgan announces @ Smashing Pumpkins in Toronto

post-Bob Dylan show in Minnesota

After the Bad Brains show in DC

Times Square, NYC

rockefeller center.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 2:48 PM

i was sleeping in my sick bed but being kept up by loud family members and ppl out in the street

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 2:50 PM

I was at Pianos, with my arms folded.

Even though there was a show going on, the music was boring, so I was listening to Sirius' indie station on headphones.

After this Ponytail song, they announced Obama won.

I guess it was cool.

Mostly because you weren't there.

Dicks.

Posted by Greg | November 5, 2008 2:52 PM

Damn loud family members!! I mean, this wasn't an important moment or anything, couldn't they have been silent! The nerve.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 2:53 PM

N7th and Bedford was bananas straight until 6am..

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 2:59 PM

Rival Schools @ Maxwells.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:06 PM

In my apartment, reading Philip Roth’s _Exit Ghost_. Shortly after 11:00, I heard shrieks and yelps of joy from my neighbors, and realized the good guys won. For a Change.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:07 PM

In a slight masterbation coma after an epic session while resting up for Round 2.

Posted by Jackoff Jim | November 5, 2008 3:09 PM

Obama is a coward. Anarchy in the USA please.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:11 PM

Editing photos ;) Plus texting my sister nonstop, being sad that mom wasn't around to see Obama win. She was a big supporter (and that's rare for someone who lived in Nebraska but maybe not TOO rare - they're talking about how some of Nebraska's electoral votes might be allotted to Obama since so many votes were cast for him in the Eastern part of the state).

Also, YAY Stipey photo!

Posted by Lori | November 5, 2008 3:12 PM

>I was at home. Putting faith in politicians is plain sad. Obama is half white/ half black and has taken more corporate contributions than any politician in history. If you think everyday people are in for change, think again.

Better a new god than an old demon, friendo.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:13 PM

getting stoned out with my family. twas a beautiful night for all.

Posted by sloweducation | November 5, 2008 3:14 PM

"Putting faith in politicians is plain sad."

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:15 PM

"Though I tend to agree, I still have faith that Obama will do us more right than we've seen in a while and that's all that counts. People like you are the reason McCain could have easily been elected this time around. People that had faith are who made this happen. And maybe, just maybe, all this belief people have in Obama will really inspire to him to be what people think he is."

In reply, putting faith in anything that is not yourself is not rational. All you can believe in is yourself and all you can change is yourself. A politician cannot allow you get the job of your dreams, win that Oscar award, nor make you feel fulfilled in your life. Only you can. A politician cannot make you happy with your life only you can. Have faith in yourself, because your life will not change no matter who is in power- whether it be McCain or Obama or for that matter Nader. The government has never been of the people and it never will be.
You are the keeper of your destiny.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 3:24 PM

Yes, we did.

Posted by Regular reader | November 5, 2008 3:42 PM

"putting faith in anything that is not yourself is not rational"

Feelings are never rational. Faith is required for love, trust, hope, and all those honorable emotions that have plagued humans since our brains got too big for own good.

See, therapy is really helping me. heheh

Posted by Lori | November 5, 2008 3:42 PM

And because I'm bored at work, I'll add that I could sit here and argue for an Anarcho-syndicalist society until I got heart palpitations, but all that "No Gods No Masters" crap just ends up making people very selfish, angry, and closed off from the world.

I'm more in Tolstoy's camp - warm fuzzy communal farm-living anarchism. Just wait, I will create a giant anti-government farm commune in Nebraska somehow and suddenly the Midwest will be the artistic, musical, and cultural center of the world.

Yep, that bored at work.

Posted by Lori | November 5, 2008 3:49 PM

Lori...don't waste your breath. Anon3:24 fails to understand that others, including in rare instances some politicians, CAN inspire people to be better and help to STRENGTHEN their faith in themselves and those around them. If Martin Luther King, Jr. and JFK grabbed Anon3:24 by each arm, he'd probably brush them off and run away.

Posted by blackhat | November 5, 2008 4:51 PM

"If Martin Luther King, Jr. and JFK grabbed Anon3:24 by each arm, he'd probably brush them off and run away."

Well, because they are now dead, I would run away. I was basically saying that we have to look inwards rather than outwards for change. Though a Gandhi and Jesus figure would certainly be cause of inspiration and "faith", all one really has in this life is oneself. To be at peace with oneself involves having faith in the power of the "I". I don't dislike Obama but I also don't dislike McCain. I just find neither as even a fraction as compelling as MLK, JR or Jesus H. Christ. Obama is not a revolutionary figure the same way that MLK, Jr was and to mention MLK, JR is an affront to people who dedicate their lives to Civil Rights.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 5:02 PM

there probably really were McCain supporters at the Madonna show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 5:20 PM

Rival Schools!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 5:25 PM

Let me get in on that commune.

Posted by Nessie | November 5, 2008 5:25 PM

"to mention MLK, JR is an affront to people who dedicate their lives to Civil Rights"

@Anon5:02 - I think many of those people who dedicate themselves to Civil Rights and thought they'd never live to see this day in America would beg to differ with you...and some who didn't live to see it, including MLK, JR. himself.

Posted by blackhat | November 5, 2008 5:33 PM

Sitting on the couch with my wife. When the election was called at 11PM, I walked out onto my juliet balcony and expected to hear happy screams. Heard a voice a few houses down and a car horn honking as it drove down the street but my block was quiet for the most part. I was surprised by that!

Posted by kaidez | November 5, 2008 6:13 PM

"Obama is half white/ half black"

and your point is WHAT exactly?

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 8:38 PM

If you can't put your faith in Obama... then you can't put your faith in anyone... and you could possibly be dead inside. He's not guaranteed to do ANYTHING... but he is the best chance this country has has in a VERY long time.

And who gives a shit what color he is? Any color person is better than GW Bush or McCain/Palin... I would vote for a pile of dirty socks before any of them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2008 8:53 PM

Did you see the dress on Michelle Obama? HELLO! CAN WE SAY FANTASTIC!

Posted by banana boy | November 5, 2008 9:23 PM

I was at the sisters of mercy in new haven. andrew held up his laptop to show the crowd between a couple of songs. the band then played an impromptu star spangled banner. it was awesome

Posted by kdx | November 5, 2008 10:04 PM

There are a lot of surly fucks commenting on bv today. Please just let us have one day to be happy since we worked hard to get Obama into office and this country has been shit for the past 8 years. I cannot remember the last time I've seen so many people this jubilant. Faith? Most people know that there is a lot of work to do and Obama is not a miracle worker. Change will happen if everyone continues to speak up and participate in their community and government including local and state.

Posted by tired from celebrating | November 5, 2008 10:35 PM

@10:35pm - Right on.

Posted by john | November 6, 2008 12:26 AM

God I hate Madonna

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 11:07 AM

if you don't think the actions of one man can change things drastically, please educate yourself about this george w. bush guy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 12:12 PM

Look,
I voted for Obam-bam,
but, "Yes, we did"???

No, you didn't-
all the money did.

and please, PLEASE
stop w/ all the JFK and MLK comparisons
and let him actually work and sweat for something
other than his campaign-
it's over now and he's got more work to do than god-

yes, we all overwhelmingly voted for him.
but now it's time to kill yr bias, be objective for the nation's sake, and force him to deliver on all of his promises.
force the media to do their job and cover his administration w/out the obvious bias and clear adoration that plagued the networks and papers throughout the entire election year.

now we are all americans again!
and as americans, we NEED to demand that everyone who works for us, do their job.

politicians, media, and mouthpieces: please stop the worshipping of this man who, for all his talents, is just a man who will make many mistakes
since he lacks the washington experience almost every other candidate had.
please demand that everyone gets off the kool-aid now, and does their part to ensure that an obama administration does not fail us.

that is the reason we the people voted for him.
Lets stop the parties now and get to work. It will take a generation to begin to undo what the bush administration has done.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 12:26 PM

^^^Totally agreed, although many of the JFK and MLK, Jr. references are happening already because of apparent changes in American society...not because of specific similarity traits between the people themselves. That being said, give us a few more days to party. I mean it's been eight hellish years for goodness sake.

Posted by blackhat | November 6, 2008 12:43 PM

12:26, it wasn't just money. many, many people volunteered for obama's campaign from the beginning to the closing of the polls & after. our participation made a difference, we can't forget the power of organizing.
and i agree "we NEED to demand that everyone who works for us, do their job."

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 1:38 PM

I was at school in california, not in class but about half the school was watching in one of the academic buildings and it was announced right as polls closed in california, right at 8 and it was amazing. the entire campus erupted. there was partying none stop and everyone was hugging and talking to each other and t was beautiful. now it's kind of awkward avoiding people again and not saying hi and being down and out about prop 8 passing, but atleast the whole 'collective shame in being american' has been washed away. almost instantaneously. i feel like if i go abroad next year people might actually smile at me in london once they heard my accent instead of wanting to kick me down the stairs.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2008 11:32 PM