Posted in music | tour dates on December 9, 2008

Blur

Blur will play a live show in Hyde Park in Summer 2009. Graham Coxon will join Alex James, Dave Rowntree and Damon Albarn onstage for this first time since their Royal Festival Hall performance in 2000. The concert will take place at London's Hyde Park on Friday 3rd July 2009, and tickets will be on general sale from 9am Friday 12th December 2008 at www.livenation.co.uk. [BLUR] (thx cmandel)

fuck yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 10:51 AM

graham, fuck yes!

Posted by sam | December 9, 2008 10:51 AM

Now which US festival is going to be the one who wins the big get for the year. Not Coachella (no way they play that before they play London)

....Lolla perhaps?

Posted by Bob Roberts | December 9, 2008 10:55 AM

please play the US....and not just one festival, please

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 10:56 AM

WOOHOO!

Posted by smack | December 9, 2008 11:01 AM

Oasis kicks the shit out of blur everyday of the week.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:03 AM

I hope they come to the US. If not I am coming to the UK!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:08 AM

looks like the last time this line-up played NYC was roseland in 1997. Damn.

Posted by wembley | December 9, 2008 11:11 AM

How many times after 97 did Blur play NYC 2? Bowery and Hammerstein?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:13 AM

Wembley, the original blur line-up played Roseland in 1999 too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:14 AM

Does the Field day fest in 2003 count?

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:17 AM

yeah.. that's what I meant. 1999 it is.

2003 field day & the bowery show didn't include Graham Coxon.

Posted by wembley | December 9, 2008 11:19 AM

They will headline one night at Glasters before Hyde Park

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:23 AM

Blur at Field Day 2003 were awesome!

Ok, remember the whole "disaster" that was Field Day Festival? A camping weekend that was diminished to one day at Giants Stadium and everyone was complaining about all of the bands that were cut.

Final line-up was something like this...

Radiohead
Beck (didn't play due to last minute injury)
Beastie Boys
Blur
Underworld
Spiritualized
My Morning Jacket
Elliot Smith
Bright Eyes

SERIOUSLY!!! While most attendees were disappointed, the East Coast will NEVER get anything remotely this amazing EVER again!!!

APW eat your heart out!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:30 AM

awesome. the best english bands of the last 15 years is back!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:31 AM

I was at field day. It was an amazing line up but a terrible day. Torrential downpour for about 8 hours straight. I was so drenched during Elliott Smith set I had to head inside. Ours also played earlier that day (The only part of the day it was sunny) in addition to Liz Phair and Beth Orton. I would guess maybe 15,000 people attended field day as it was soo empty

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:37 AM

man they really blew on the think tank tour

Posted by sam | December 9, 2008 11:37 AM

Blur is my new pick for the band most likely to be headlining/curating day two of ATP NY.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:40 AM

This sounds cool, but judging from several official and unofficial live shows, both audio and video, Blur was never much of a great live band. A new record by the original four would be nice.

I'm guessing the reunion was solified when Dave Rowntree lost that city council election....

Posted by Regular reader | December 9, 2008 11:41 AM

The Think Tank show at Hammerstein was awesome! They played Universal,PopScene, Badhead, To The End, This is a Low and For Tomorrow..that show was brilliant!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:42 AM

maybe they'll play APW

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 11:49 AM

Hey Blur, can you bring The Sundays with you, please?

Posted by donn | December 9, 2008 12:02 PM

Totally fucking awesome news. I've been a Blur fan for a while and couldn't be happier. Perhaps they'll do APW next year?

Posted by madmang | December 9, 2008 12:15 PM

"I was so drenched during Elliott Smith set I had to head inside. "

Wow, what can I say to that?!?!!

The guy struggled with his art and inner-turmoil to the point of no return...and you couldn't handle getting damp???!!?!

You must be kicking yourself!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 12:18 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 12:21 PM

Don't ever talk about APW. It was the worst festival of all time.

Posted by APW Raped My Mother | December 9, 2008 12:22 PM

hahahahaha APW. (thank goodness i didn't pay for my ticket.)

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 12:32 PM

anon 12:18 you're an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 12:35 PM

eh... seeing Elliott Smith in a big outdoor festival is hardly seeing Elliott Smith. Solo acoustic in a small venue was an amazing thing. I really can't even imagine seeing him in Giants Stadium. Must have been painful.

Posted by wembley | December 9, 2008 12:42 PM

It was on an outdoor stage not the main stage. Maybe 200 people were watching Elliott. That week he played Knitting Factory and Maxwells...it was a unique place to see him but it definatley was not the right setting to see him in.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 12:45 PM

"Anon 12:18 you have no clue obviously since you were not there. It was also the second time I was seeing him that week as I had tickets to maxwells. Beck was also supposed to be getting on during the final few minutes of Elliott show but Beck slipped (because of the rain) and didn't end up performing. "

Not only was I there, but I came up that day from Philly...wearing a poncho. It was no surprise that it was going to rain and yet there were endless amounts of f##ktards (like yourself) who came wearing nothing more than a t-shirt and shorts. How very indie of you! Come prepared and enjoy yourself or stand under an overhang and shiver.

fyi- Beck didn't slip, he got accidentally knocked into by a member of the backstage crew. That was very disappointing

ps - Radiohead + Exit Music + pin-drop silence = Amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 1:16 PM

1:16 so you know what I was wearing? Great to assume. You have thus proved how smart you are. You are right I am wrong. Boohoo!

Wow and you drove all the way from Philly! Phew the turnpike must have been difficult for a city boy like you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 1:26 PM

...and now presenting Anon 1:26 reporting live via mommy and daddy's computer.

ps - how's the weather in Park Slope today?

pps - yes, I do know what you are wearing. Egg on your face....and lots of it!

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 1:52 PM

Oh You're so smart 1:52. Got me again. Did you go to UPenn? That education probably taught you how to drive to Giants Stadium and to wear a poncho. I admit it I lost.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 2:02 PM

Blur used to be so fab live. Not sure what they turned into, but they played Irving Plaza for Modern Life is Rubbish. Sound was so wonderful coupled with them all sporting the Fred Perry look.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 2:03 PM

Blur most definitely played NYC after '97. I saw them at their secret show at Bowery Ballroom on March 16 of 2003. It sort of was a pre-kick off to the US Think Tank tour. But not only was Graham not there, neither was Alex due to visa problems. Simon Tong was cool, though.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 2:52 PM

blur is incredible live -- i've seen them at least four times in boston between 94-98 myself.

Posted by robert doosh | December 9, 2008 3:09 PM

Blur and Catherine Wheel tour '09

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 3:26 PM

blur is rubbish live in NYC - from the Marquee to Roseland they never failed to disappoint (and I love their records). You must be have been lucky in Boston (suppose it made up a bit for having had to live there)

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 3:28 PM

Guess what. People from Boston who aren't jocks don't actually care about the whole "NYC vs. Boston" thing.
We admit it! You're bigger than us.
I like New York I just don't want to (read can't afford) to live anywhere I'd like there.
Can't afford Boston either.

Artburbs for us.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 5:23 PM

blur was so fucking good on the think tank tour in boston!

Posted by sk | December 9, 2008 9:13 PM

1994 -- pulp opening for blur in boston. $12 bux.

Posted by robert doosh | December 9, 2008 11:07 PM

pulp should follow suit and get back together. jarvis' solo stuff is cool but pulp was so good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 10, 2008 12:04 AM