Posted in TV | To Do | music on December 12, 2008

Blood Bank

Just in time for winter, BON IVER have announced a new 4 song 12"/cdep entitled Blood Bank. From the title track's remembrance of the winter warmth we seek, to the summer love tribute of b-side gem "Babys", Bon Iver's snow-blanketed harmonies live across the seasons. Still, there is a reverence for sabbatical, solitude and the winding down of time. As much as "For Emma, Forever Ago" is about the cold, the Blood Bank collection is about the warmth that gets you through it.

Blood Bank will be released in the US on 1/20/09 and in the UK on 1/19/09. If you can't wait until then, head out to one of the bands shows stretching through the end of December hitting the East coast and parts of the Midwest where they will be selling the vinyl version.

"Blood Bank" is now available for pre-order. Bon Iver played his second of two shows at Town Hall here in NYC last night (12/11). His third NYC show in a row goes down tonight/Friday at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Last night you may have also caught them on Letterman. A bunch of other people definitely did...

"I usually hate the musical guests on late night shows because it's designed to kill the time between :21 and :35 with a 3-4 minute performance. However, Letterman does a great job with his performers. Tonight, they had Bon Iver... who I had never heard before in my life." [Chris Duncan]

"Oh mY Thanks for the add!!! i watched you guys last night on david letterman and i fell in love with you music and sound you guys rock!!!!! i hope to see more of you comming up in the future!!" [Desperate Tarantino House wive's;-) on MySpace]

"saw yall on letterman tonight, u guys got talent for sure." [phil on MySpace]

"Love your music, you even appeal to us 'older' crowd :) Posted Skinny Love on my playlist. Good luck in your career, you're great!" [Purple Lady on MySpace]

"i was absolutely blown away by you guys on lettermen !!! that was amazing, hope to see your guys on tour sometime real soon !! " [Austin on MySpace]

"Just saw you on Letterman! Really good! I was wondering why the name was so familiar. So I went to add you and realized I had added you long ago. I guess this grants me the right to always say, "I added those guys on Myspace before they were even on Letterman"." [Nikki P. & The Anticlimatics on MySpace]

Who has the video? Pictures from Town Hall night one are HERE.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 1:55 PM

Song on letterman last night was amazing...gotta pick up some albums

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:01 PM

perfect performance last night on dave...

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:03 PM

what song did he do?

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:04 PM

skinny love, guitar + 3 drums

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:09 PM

the show at town hall was amazing.

i can't count the number of times i closed my eyes and had my complete body covered in goosebumps.

pure magic.

and town hall has maybe the best acoustics of any venue i've been too. loge seats were best in the house.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:14 PM

Bon Iver
Bon Scott
Bon Jovi

In that order.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 2:18 PM

Last night's Town Hall show was amazing. I was so pleased to see how respectful the crowd was. Why can't it be like that all the time?

Posted by mp77 | December 12, 2008 2:28 PM

Bon Iver was good on Letterman, but were those three drummers really necessary? Particularly the guy in the hoodie who felt the need to do a sweeping motion with his hand over the floor tom every time he hit it. What was with that?

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 3:26 PM

Saw he played Woods the other night. How did this sound live? Because on the EP it sounds like a gd male version of Hide & Seek.

Posted by Foster | December 12, 2008 3:27 PM

I believe they played "From Emma" last night on Letterman. I actually liked the fact that they had three drummers playing together. I felt like them playing in unison gave the performance a lot more emotion. It also kind of reminded me of a few recent Kanye performances I've seen where he has the row of tribal drummers. Thanks for the link, guys!

Posted by Chris Duncan | December 12, 2008 3:37 PM

Sorry... "For Emma".

Posted by Chris Duncan | December 12, 2008 3:39 PM

I actually think the drums ruin Skinny Love. That song is powerful because of the desperation in his voice and the haunting harmonies; it doesn't need a booming beat in my opinion. The show at Town Hall last night was amazing regardless, but if he had played Skinny Love solo ala the Jools Holland performance, it would have been perfect.

Posted by Jay | December 12, 2008 3:54 PM

To the jackasses who don't think the drums were necessary . . . . When you write your own fucking songs then you can fucking decide how to play them.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM

Jeesus christ. I've never heard so much inane bitching. Before your trust fund goes kaput, and if you ever amount to 1/10th of Justin Vernon's talent I hope you learn to accept other people's decisions in regards to their own art. All you people who criticize an artists decisions deserve to be in Ohio or Kansas.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 4:25 PM

seeing his music live is a religous experience. very prayer like. i loved it

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 5:20 PM

^^^you need to get out more.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 6:00 PM

4:25,

Agree but what does Ohio and Kansas have to do with anything?

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 6:11 PM

I can't understand why people get so bothered about someone expressing his or her opinion (and giving it as such, rather than as an indubitable truth) about the way a song sounds when played a certain way. To me, that sort of comment is one of the more interesting types that appear on this site. (the most interesting ones are, of course, Dan Deacon- or Vivian Girls-related)

But then, I also can't understand why people feel that mentioning trust funds and/or Ohio make their arguments more potent, when they obviously know nothing about the anonymous source of their ire. Perhaps I ought not to read the comments. But how, then, to get Animal Collective tickets? Alas, my quandary

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 2:43 AM

Video finally found from Letterman!

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 12:32 PM

Does anyone know the song that the band played Thursday night at Town Hall, towards the end of the set, the drummer/piano guy sang the whole song. I would love to know, i could have sworn they covered a My Morning Jacket tune but I could be wrong...

Posted by Justin Verlander | December 13, 2008 1:37 PM

@ 1:37 I think it was "Simple Man". Shouldn't you be working out to prevent another embarrassment like the Tiger's last year.

Posted by Jim | December 13, 2008 2:11 PM

ohio is high in the middle and round on the sides.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 4:23 PM

4 dead in ohio

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 4:23 PM

1.37- I heard Justin say it was a 'Talk Talk' cover. I think the title is "I Believe in You"- as I heard them play that song by Talk Talk back in July. I'm pretty sure it was the same song.

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 5:33 PM

Wednesday's Town Hall concert was amazing. Does anyone know who the MC is that Justin mentioned during the show? He said someone is his favorite MC--I couldn't make out the name, I'm just curious who is influencing him right now.

Posted by Hallock Hill | December 14, 2008 12:17 AM

MC - I think he said Pharoahe Monch.

Saw him play NY/Tokyo Music Festival last fall - definitely a talented MC.

Posted by Anonymous | December 15, 2008 8:59 AM