Posted in music | pictures on December 10, 2008

photos by Chris La Putt

Bon Iver

Bon Iver and The Tallest Man on Earth played their first of three NYC shows together last night (10/10). The show was at Town Hall where Thursday's show will also be. Friday is at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn. The Tallest Man also played a show on Tuesday at Mercury Lounge with Marissa Nadler.

"Kristian Matsson, the Swedish songwriter who bills himself as the Tallest Man on Earth, flaunted every rasp, buzz and crack in his voice. They are the most immediate signs of a musician who draws on the structures of folky songwriting from the 1960s -- the basic chords, the picking and strumming, the chains of verses and refrains without choruses -- but who has no use for the cozy decorum that would define singer-songwriters later on. His model is the visionary Bob Dylan of songs like "When the Ship Comes In," along with Dylan's own models: the craggy bluesmen and back-country singers who never tried to smooth things over." [NY Times]
More pictures, and Bon Iver's setlist from last night, below...

The Tallest Man on Earth

The Tallest Man on Earth...

Bon Iver...

The Tallest Man on Earth

TREMENDOUS show. Creature Fear and Wolves were amazing.

Great crowd too.....especially the guy with the "encore/economy rant 4 seats behind me" AWESOME

Posted by Tremags | December 11, 2008 12:14 AM

i don't get it. maybe I have to see him live, I thought he already had a bearded folksy sensitive guy with Iron and Wine...

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 12:23 AM

"I thought he already had a bearded folksy sensitive guy with Iron and Wine..."

If you're going to namecheck bearded folksy sensitive guys, at least say Bonnie Prince Billy. You can have your Iron and Wine jam band. I'll take Bon Iver.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 12:38 AM

Great, great show as expected. I have to go again tomorrow night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 12:48 AM

incredible show.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 12:58 AM

WTF was up with that guy yelling. He started ranting by saying "we've been sitting in this shit show" and then he proceeded to go on about economy.

I thought maybe that guy was high or he was one of those scalpers from outside who wasn't able to get rid of the last of his tickets and was forced to attend the concert.

Posted by pants | December 11, 2008 1:26 AM

Great great great show. I didn't get the guy with the economy/encore rant, though. What was his point? It also pissed me of that he started with what a hard time we're having with the economy here in New York. Ummmm...it ain't just a problem here...

But that didn't really detract from an awesome, breathtaking, beautiful show from Bon Iver.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 1:30 AM

what is that second encore song?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:24 AM

Second encore was "Loving's for fools"

I weep every time I hear that song live.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:47 AM

Can't wait for tonight, set times?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 7:46 AM

Tallest man on Earth went on at 8:05
Bon Iver went on at 9:05

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 7:56 AM

bon iver is bad for the economy!

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 8:06 AM

Not only was Bon Iver amazingly graceful musically but Mr. Vernon's showmanship is truly astounding. Funny, good natured and self deprecating- a real entertainer.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 8:06 AM

Do you guys enjoy Tallest Man on Earth?
I saw him the other day at Mercury Lounge and was happy he delivered his songs so well live.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 8:28 AM

I actually went more for Tallest Man than Bon Iver but was thoroughly impressed with both of them. I was glad to see Tallest Man really win the crowd over throughout his set. By the end of it, people were really into it.

Also, I am pretty sure the yelling economy man, in reaction to being told there would be no encore, was saying something like "well this economy sucks, and this show has been awesome, so we don't care if we get an encore or not."

Also, other than the yelling man, there was a great crowd there last night. No one was whispering through the show, even in the balcony. Thanks New Yorkers.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 9:04 AM

It was a great show. I was not into Bon Iver much before the show but this morning, all I have been listening to is his stuff. Blood Bank EP is also very good if you can get your hands on it.

He won me over. Tallest man did too!

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 9:23 AM

I think there's enough room in the world for both Bon Iver and Iron & Wine. I also believe it's possible to like both, as well as Bonnie "Prince" Billy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 9:50 AM

The economic rant was odd but I think handled well. I didn't get his point either, I think he was trying to stress that he paid good money for the show and wanted his damn encore. Regardless, the show rocked, and there was a great appreciation I took from Bon Iver of all the fans.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 9:56 AM

yawn,. you people actually paid money for this?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 9:56 AM

One gripe: If you have to go to the fucking bathroom, wait until in between songs! The space is great, the sound gorgeous, the music captivating and *tap* *tap* *excuse me!* FUCK! JUST FUCKING WAIT 2 MINUTES! And when you're done, sit in the aisle for 2 seconds until the song is over, okay?

Anyhow, besides that the show was beautiful. Loved it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:08 AM

Does he ever play Silent Signs live? Would make a great encore...

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:09 AM

totally hear you on the bathroom thing...i almost took people out for needing to crawl over me. have they never been to a play before? perhaps even a tennis match?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:14 AM

what time did bon iver go on last night? how long was the opening act?

Posted by jm | December 11, 2008 10:17 AM

USE A PEE BUCKET. some people...

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:17 AM

i was not really into it for the first few songs, mostly because the girl to my left was multitasking her blackberry and camera and the bright LCD screens were really distracting. DON'T DO IT PEOPLE.

i was so excited for "wolves" and then he did the crowd participation part and... i dunno getting to sing that loudly in a seated venue and have everyone around you do the same thing, it kind of choked me up. so great.

and then the "loving's for fools" encore put me over the edge and i cried.

i'm sold.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:19 AM

dork

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:25 AM

how long did bon iver play for?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:36 AM

he played for about 1 hour and 2 minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 10:37 AM

Did Justin record all of the songs in the cabin in the woods for Emma or did he just write them? I need to get this cabin thing sorted out.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 11:13 AM

nice...looking forward to tonight.

Posted by nbflowers | December 11, 2008 11:50 AM

damn that tallest man on earth played so early. i tried to make it a point NOT to miss him. i fucked that one up. bon iver was great though. thinking about going to williamsburg friday to catch it in a different environment.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 12:19 PM

this is the most positive set of comments i've ever seen on BV, and i don't get it. i'm not too familiar with bon iver's stuff, and after last night i don't feel the need to get better acquainted with it. i couldn't hear the lyrics, i got tired of his falsetto, all the melodies sound the same... i don't really get the hype. someone, please explain.

Posted by fancy schmancy | December 11, 2008 12:28 PM

oh man, bon iver is under my skin, touching my soul (super sap)... I wish I could bottle that show and drink it every day.

Posted by Kristin | December 11, 2008 12:29 PM

did anyone record the lovins for fools covers last night?

Posted by colleen | December 11, 2008 12:37 PM

"i dont really get the hype. someone, please explain." there's no explaining, maybe just not hitting you, that's ok.

Posted by kristin Faivre | December 11, 2008 12:42 PM

Absolutely incredible show. Dead center five rows back. Every time the crash was hit I could hear every last nuance of it. Unreal sound in that room, and it's really great when musicians appreciate the room they're in the way both of these guys did. Tallest Man taking in the cheers at the end of his set was pretty classic. That's a moment he's going to remember for the rest of his life. Justin is from another effing planet.... Just too good...

Posted by Thrilla | December 11, 2008 12:47 PM

might it be that every person commenting here is a female?

Posted by fancy schmancy | December 11, 2008 12:48 PM

"might it be that every person commenting here is a female?"

nope.

Posted by Thrilla | December 11, 2008 12:55 PM

annon 11:13

yes he recorded them all by himself in a cabin. There are a couple bits that were done later such as a little bit of vocals and horns by other people, but >95% was recorded in the cabin.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 1:36 PM

Anyone need a ticket for tonight? Balcony row B - $25.

Posted by mp77 | December 11, 2008 1:37 PM

i need a ticket... if you can meet before the show... 347 407 3505

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:14 PM

ah actually... nevermind... don't need that ticket

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:19 PM

Wow a phone number left online.

Didn't your mom ever have the talk with you?

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:27 PM

he sounds emo to me

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 2:33 PM

"did anyone record the lovins for fools covers last night?"

It was great last night, but I've seen some versions of youtube that are AMAZING- particulary 7-person strong with the Bowerbirds, and another with Sisken herself that was nice.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 3:04 PM

"this is the most positive set of comments i've ever seen on BV, and i don't get it."

Hey, not everyone likes everything. And that's okay.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 3:06 PM

Why didn't he play Blindsided???? overall SUPERGOOD!!1

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 3:07 PM

good question - especially with all of his jokes about running out of songs to play - which were very funny, by the way...

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 4:31 PM

Yeah I was thinking about that, but there's lots of bands that don't play all their recorded songs for one reason or another.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 4:52 PM

Who was the hip-hop artist he said was "super good" last night?

Posted by Keith | December 11, 2008 4:56 PM

Pharoahe Monch. He's way better than bon iver.

Posted by fancy schmancy | December 11, 2008 5:05 PM

also the sound guy was definitely hot (as the band mentioned onstage), and had great taste for music between sets. "fallen wallet" by subtle? yes sir.

Posted by Anonymous | December 11, 2008 6:04 PM

Justin gave BV a shout out last night, lol! Show was great, he's definitely a funny dude. Tallest Man was also very good.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 9:35 AM

last night was incredible. does anyone know the name of that Talk Talk song they covered last night. That was great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 10:11 AM

I was the retard that made the "rant" at the show. Like all things I do drunk that I wouldn't do sober, it sounded much better in my brain than when it came out of my mouth. The intended meaning was that we've had a rough few months and we're still spending 22 bucks on a ticket. So cut us a break and give us an encore. We only ask because we love'em and he was on fire that night so I think it was worth wanting more.

Posted by mumbles | December 12, 2008 11:44 AM

i was at the show a few rows in front of you. you're an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 5:57 PM

And you anonymously insult people in comments sections. So, you know, you got that going for you.

Posted by mumbles | December 16, 2008 8:44 AM