Posted in music | pictures on December 4, 2008

photos by Tim Griffin

Boss Hog

Boss Hog played their first show back together as a band last night, December 3rd, at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ. Front-woman Christina Martinez stayed fully clothed as she and hubby Jon Spencer (and drummer and keyboardist and bassist) tore through a set of their bluesy punk rock songs, in alphabetical order, to an enthusiastic crowd. They played an encore, but not "White Out" (It was requested, they refused). Tickets are still on sale for their December 17th NYC show at Bowery Ballroom. All dates HERE. More Maxwell's pictures below...

Boss Hog

wow.... these are some great photos.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 12:26 PM

isn't that music snob with no shirt on jumping up and down??

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 12:36 PM

no talk normal photos? :(

Posted by Lori | December 4, 2008 12:50 PM

strong show this was

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 12:52 PM

she has an impressive gut

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 1:14 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 1:19 PM

12:50 - I took some shots of Talk Normal, but with TN's 'lighting' (a term I use generously) they were mostly crappy. A single tiny shop-light mounted near the floor with a red bulb does not great photo op make. Even at ISO 6400 (for low light) the results weren't web-worthy.

I was going to shoot some flash shots - but given the no-lighting seemed a big part of the performance - I didn't want to bust out the flash-pops paparazzi-style...

If there are any I can salvage I'll stick em on my flickr acct.

~tim

Posted by tim | December 4, 2008 1:44 PM

Anyone have a setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 1:54 PM

"That lady looks ridiculous, shouldn't she be fixing her kids lunch for the next day or something instead of rockin' out? alternamom"

someday, allah willing, you will grow older too.

tim, nice shots, particularly the grainy headshots of cristina.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 2:03 PM

aw man. I already gave talk normal the lecture on not using that one red light ;) heheh. I blast em with flash all the time, but then I'm just a jerk when it comes to that, and I really love taking photos of them.

Posted by Lori | December 4, 2008 2:28 PM

hit it i would.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 2:47 PM

"That lady" and her band is pretty much what most
rich hipsters copy now.....douche.
you probably don't even know that all the music you listen too,way you dress,was already done before.None of it is new dude.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 2:57 PM

I've had a boner for her since 1991...

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 3:17 PM

i boned that ho.

Posted by hohoho | December 4, 2008 4:18 PM

Is that the annoying bald guy that screams louder than the band? I remember him at Sleater Kinney and Robyn. He drinks a lot, too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 4:41 PM

Maxwell's practically has no lighting at all.
The last time I was there was during a tropical storm (What Made Milwaukee Famous/Wild Sweet Orange) and rain was pouring through the ceiling into buckets all over the stage.

Posted by Kurt C. | December 4, 2008 4:54 PM

Posted by teamjasen | December 4, 2008 5:06 PM

"Yeah, I am that annoying bald guy from Sleater-Kinney and Robyn. What else are you suppossed to do at a concert besides drink and scream and have fun. It isn't everyday you get to see bands and sing along to the songs that you have been listening to for years and show appreciation to the artist. If being passionate about music and actually knowing the words to the songs is annoying than I am proud to be one of the most annoying people ever. See you at the Bowery show!"

ROCK ON

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 5:13 PM

Shirtless dude ought to get himself hit by a bus, along with the adolescent "I'd hit it" kiddies

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 9:20 PM

Sorry that pic no loady right.

Posted by Cco in CHicago | December 4, 2008 9:20 PM

I'd hit it with anon 9:20

Posted by Anonymous | December 4, 2008 10:06 PM

Great pictures Tim. Maxwells is my favorite venue in the area. fuck Bowery

Posted by jt | December 4, 2008 10:26 PM

"What else are you suppossed to do at a concert besides drink and scream and have fun."

1-Let the people around you have a good time.
2-Stop annoying the bands.
3-Get a life (if not, get a dog).

Posted by Anonymous | December 5, 2008 5:23 AM

these pictures are great.
please with the comments about her age. even in her heyday (and she was smokin'), i doubt she would have fucked you and your angry inch.

Posted by lola | December 5, 2008 11:07 AM

wow... i can't believe it... boss hog together again... i hope they come to Europe soon.

Posted by adam | December 8, 2008 8:14 AM

I've got an idea...how's about everyone under, oh, say 35, shut the fuck up. Go plug in your iDildoes and experiment with homosexuality. Or, and here's another crazy idea, DO SOMETHING NEW.

Jesus!

Posted by Frank | December 13, 2008 9:32 PM

this band was always bullshit. why they would get back together is a mystery. who out there is possibly listenning to their Boss Hog albums regularly?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 10:24 PM

^ For that matter, who listens to Pussy Galore anymore, either?

Posted by Anonymous | December 13, 2008 11:16 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAH....pussy galore rules. you suck.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:54 AM

Relistening to lots of Pussy Galore and Boss Hog before I knew Boss Hog was doing the reunion.

Wish I was going to see them ...

anybody have any set lists?

recordings of these new shows?

Posted by TEX | December 17, 2008 4:30 PM

Is that a 'Railroad Jerk' amplifier that Jon Spencer is using??
Weird.

Posted by bob anonymous | December 22, 2008 8:24 PM

I wrote some notes during the Bowery Ballroom show and was able to piece together this setlist with the exception of one song.

Ski Bunny
Saved

Encore:
Gerard
Fear For You
Fix Me

60 minutes

I don't know every Boss Hog song and what I have written down for the missing track is the line "You're gonna love me". If you can figure out which song that's from, you have the entire NYC setlist.

Posted by sextonseven | December 31, 2008 12:24 AM