Posted in music on December 24, 2008

Cat PowerCat Power

Tickets are on sale for Cat Power's upcoming shows at the Apollo Theater.
(they were supposed to go on sale at 10am, but then didn't, and then I heard 3pm, but then I just checked again and there they were)

A whole bunch of tickets went on sale yesterday too.

thank you! pulled up row C center for saturday night...niiiiice.

Posted by brian | December 24, 2008 1:30 PM

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 1:59 PM

Worst show I ever saw was Cat Power at Hiro Ballroom.

Buyer beware.

Posted by Jack | December 24, 2008 2:04 PM

I've seen Cat Power five times. Just bought tickets to see her again, but thanks for the warning!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 2:06 PM

when was the hiro ballroom show? was it before or after she got cleaned up (circa spring 2006)?

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 2:07 PM

she's played hiro multiple times in the last few years. I saw a great cat power show at hiro in 2006. Just solo chan, played a lot of great tunes. The only thing that sucked about that show was that she asked everyone to sit on the floor... and there really wasn't enough room for everyone to sit on the floor. nice idea, just didn't really work out.

Posted by wembley | December 24, 2008 2:24 PM

"so much confusion! went for the front of the lower balcony over the back of the orchestra -- good choice?"

DEFINITELY A GOOD CHOICE!

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 2:34 PM

I sorta blew it too..a few minutes late..went for row B center in the second level vs way back on the main floor.

Posted by kookoo | December 24, 2008 3:14 PM

@ 2:07

This was after she cleaned up.

Maybe alcohol would've made for a more entertaining evening.

Posted by Jack | December 24, 2008 3:41 PM

I haven't seen her in ten years.. I sorta gave up after the whole leaving the stage and unable to perform happened one too many times. It was funny at first, but got old. Gonna give her another try now that things are supposed to be sorted out.

Posted by kookoo | December 24, 2008 4:24 PM

Cat Power Live = Worst Money I Ever Spent

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 8:20 PM

seen her a bunch, including both Hiro shows mentioned above. one was crap, the other was brilliant. that's live music for you. roll the dice, see what you get.

i passed on this one though. price was a little too rich for my blood. actually it was the ticketmaster fees that made me balk. taking this show near $50/ticket felt like a bit too much. makes me think these won't come close to selling out.

Posted by Anonymous | December 24, 2008 11:00 PM

does anyone know who else is playing with her?

Posted by Anonymous | December 25, 2008 8:12 PM

Checked these tickets on the evening of the 24th and could not get anything in front of row Q, so decided to pass.
Too bad there was such confussion, would have loved to see her perform at the Apollo.
By the way, all you haters, she was great at the Town Hall shows and the Hiro show was a disaster because of all the hipsters talking while she tried to sing.

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2008 8:55 AM

boring.

"she was great." and where would "her" songs exist anyway, without a band backing her. she has nothing to say. subtract the soulful voice and the ambience of the good music and... it equals nothing.

cat power is great - there's nothing there.

and she is so hot.

take a closer look.

boring.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:53 PM

It's the Apollo for god's sake! Being a woman who’s written a love song to Aretha Franklin and said on stage many, many times “God Bless Mr. James Brown”, this should be the Holy Grail of venues. But man, what a bummer!!

The sound was disappointing , her voice inhibited and fleeting, not the cat power i fell in love with. She is exhauting her quirky act and the lack of enthusiasm was stunning. YOU ARE PLAYING AT THE APOLLO!!!!!

I feel like she has the confidence now to really blow her fans away.... We know she has the soul and the chops to sing great songs but she's not because she isn't taking time to make the songs her own anymore. Her voice is getting lost. . What a shame!

I love Cat Power, I really really do, and I have seen her live quite a few times. Before last night have I’ve always felt that she wanted to be up there, and believed in what she was doing. This could have and should have been the opportunity for Ms. Marshall to blow everyone’s mind, instead we were so bored by the 5th song. That we left.

Posted by Anonymous | February 7, 2009 10:44 AM