Posted in To Do | comedy | music | pictures on December 22, 2008

Hanukkah

The above drawing is a segment of the songsheet Oneida passed out at Sunday night's show at Maxwell's in Hoboken (12/21). It was the first of eight Yo La Tengo Hanukkah parties at the NJ venue this year, and, as promised, the Brooklyn band (Oneida) opened the night. As also promised, comedian Paul F. Tompkins opened with a set of comedy. AND, I'm feeling really good right now because two (sort of) of my guest guesses also came true last night. Both Britt Daniel and Janet Weiss (I guessed Britt and "Quasi") joined Yo La Tengo for some songs. To quote an email I got from Josh,

Oneida opened.
Then Paul F Tompkins.
Then YLT with Janet Weiss
For the encore - Paul F Tomkins joined the band and sang a Hannukah version of [Johnny Cash's] "Ring of Fire"
Then Britt Daniel joined and sang a few songs including "Mother and Child Reunion" [by Paul Simon]

The shows continue tonight (Monday, Hanukkah night two). We now know the openers for night eight, but who will open tonight? Will it be Titus Andronicus? Will it be Antietam? I'm not sure. Post your guesses and facts in the comments.

Download the whole Oneida songsheet (thx Josh) as a PDF HERE. Check out a Yo La Tengo video from last year's Hanukkah run, below...

Yo La Tengo - Eight Days a Week (Hanukkah 2007)

What time did the whole shindig get under way? I'm going tomorrow!

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:33 AM

I've heard The Magnetic Fields opening tonight.

Posted by maxwellswaiter | December 22, 2008 11:34 AM

"Anonymous adds that there were covers of P.I.L., Amy Winehouse and Burt Bacharach as well."

I should start signing my posts, it's only like the sixth time BV quoted a post of mine. And thanks for finally unblocking my work IP. Happy Hannukah.

Britt was in the back during the YLT set checking levels on his recorder, but then he didn't use it.

Oneida killed it. Their holiday songs were awesome. I purchased their holiday CD, too bad it doesn't have "Hanukkah's a Bitch" on it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:34 AM

I'm predicting Will Franken will be tonight's comedian.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:36 AM

the magnetic fields? that sounds to good to be true

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:42 AM

I should add that those were the encore covers. The regular set started and ended with covers as well:

Gary U.S. Bond's "Eight Day Weekend" (a YLT classic)

Beach Boys - Little Honda (sounding more like Velvet Underground)

The YLT set was good, nothing special. Few surprises. Encore was great.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:42 AM

To answer 11:33am's question, last night Oneida played from 8:30 until about 9:15. Paul F. Thompkins went from 9:50-10:15. Yo La Tengo was 10:30-12:15.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:43 AM

yeah that mbv jam in little honda was great!!

i would say it was a standard good quality show. nothing next level, but clearly enjoyable.

i was wondering who that punk cover was...

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:45 AM

Sounds like a really good show. There are always such excellent mystery guests at these shows.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:52 AM

Oneida was HUGE. Covered Funkadelic, Modern Lovers and Mott the Hoople. Loved them.

Tompkins was funny as always.

YLT was good, not great. Started strong with eight day weekend and sugarcube, but the feedback freakout during little green honda at the end of their set was a tad excessive. the encore songs with Britt were a little sloppy and uninspired.

still an awesome time. wish I had time to go every night.

Posted by hobo | December 22, 2008 11:52 AM

"i was wondering who that punk cover was..."

The P.I.L. song was Public Image from the first album. Johnny Rotten is Jewish?

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 11:52 AM

I thought the two drummers really kicked YLT up a notch last night, as in past shows I felt they were starting to get a little too shoe-gazy, as if Ira had a piece of existential bubble gum stuck to the bottom of his shoe and he got stuck into a feedback loop.

So altogether a good YLT show, not their best, but definitely better than what they've been cranking out live of late.

Oneida was great, haven't seen them before, and liked seeing Britt Daniel, but thought his songs, but for the P.I.L. cover, didn't feature him at his best.

Best bit of the whole eve was Paul F. Tompkins belting out Ring 'o Fire.

Posted by Yononymous | December 22, 2008 11:55 AM

Mag Fields? Are you joking? Merely speculating? Or just trying to ratchet my hopes up too too high? I've got tix for tonight, and would plotz (ahem) if Merritt was the opener. Say it's so!

Posted by BeeGee | December 22, 2008 11:59 AM

Saturday = Bill Murray & She/Him

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 12:11 PM

john lydon isn't jewish but original PiL guitarist keith levene is. i'm pretty sure YLT have covered early clash songs for the same reason.

Posted by eddy | December 22, 2008 12:15 PM

tomorrow night's opener: the reunited GUTBANK

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 12:39 PM

i want the urinals

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 12:53 PM

not sure why people say this show was underwhelming. I thought it was extremely enjoyable. Having seen YLT a couple times I've learned not to come in with expectations, but to take what they give and appreciate it regardless. They are ALWAYS good. (i admit some of Georgia's songs were difficult) but the surprise of Britt and Janet was great and the covers (8 day weekend rocked!) and classics sounded great. Wish it started earlier so i would be a little more awake today @ school! I envy those able to go the other nights. Could Murray really open? is this realistic?

Posted by tiredteacher | December 22, 2008 12:57 PM

I love Yo La Tengo. They are so classic. I can't believe I am out of NY for these shows!

Posted by Dooder City | December 22, 2008 1:02 PM

I'm sure I didn't get it all down correctly, but last night's set was something like this:

8 Day Weekend
Enc: Ring of Fire
Public Image
Mother & Child Reunion
Me & Mr Jones
This Boy's in Love with You

Posted by Chris | December 22, 2008 1:34 PM

I enjoy Sudan Organ, but Ethiopia Harpsichord is my main jam.

Posted by baconfat | December 22, 2008 2:15 PM

Hanukkah, Bitch is track 10 on the holiday cd.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2008 1:36 PM

baconfat +1,000

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2008 1:38 PM

yeah that mbv jam in little honda was great!!

Posted by lv | October 17, 2009 12:19 PM