Posted in music on December 8, 2008

Coldplay

"I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani says. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] If I Could Fly."

As it turned out, Satriani wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity between If I Could Fly and Viva La Vida.

"Almost immediately, from the minute their song came out, my e-mail box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off man.' I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received.

"Everybody noticed the similarities between the songs. It's pretty obvious. It's as simple as that - when you listen to a song and you say, 'Wow, that's a real rip-off.'"

What makes the situation especially painful for Satriani is that If I Could Fly isn't just any song. It's a composition he'd been laboring over for well over 10 years before he recorded it.

"I started writing it on the Flying In A Blue Dream tour back in 1990. But because of the way I write, sometimes songs take a while, as this one did. In 2003 I started demoing it in earnest. I played it on the acoustic guitar on a demo so I could sing the melody, then I demoed it on electric to get the sound. And the performance turned out to be so spontaneous, so right and so emotional, that it wound up being a keeper."

..."That was the intent all along," he says. "It was a love letter to my wife, Rubina - a simple, direct expression of feeling.

"That's what really hurts about this whole thing. That I spent so long writing the song, thinking about it, loving it, nursing it, and then finally recording it and standing on stages the world over playing it - and then somebody comes along and plays the exact same song and calls it their own."

"Coldplay didn't want to talk about it. They just wanted this whole thing to go away." Joe Satriani... [the interview continues @ Music Radar]

So now Joe is suing. Watch a video comparison of the songs in question HERE. Watch a video comparing Satriani's guitar solos to Kirk Hammett's below...

The Student(Kirk Hammett) Vs. The Master(Joe Satriani)

just before Metallica was to record its first album, Kill 'Em All. At the time Hammett was taking private guitar lessons from now famous Joe Satriani..Hammett is one of the better-known students of guitarist and instructor Joe Satriani. In 2003, he was ranked 11th in the Rolling Stones "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".

Cold Play are a bunch of pussies anyway.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | December 8, 2008 10:23 AM

everyone in this situation is a pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 10:26 AM

I remember months before "Viva La Vida" came out, there was a Rolling Stone interview with Chris Martin about how the album was going where he basically said all they do is rip off other people's music.

I bet he must be eating those words now.

Posted by Anoymous | December 8, 2008 10:35 AM

he's not even the 11th greatest guitar teacher ever, for chrissakes, what a joke

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 10:38 AM

2 points: it's doubtful if coldplay turns on satriani in their free time; the melody of viva la vida is in keeping with other Martin melodies.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 10:48 AM

I never liked Coldplay until I saw Chris Martin use his baby stroller (with baby still inside!) like a plowing spear in an attempt to part the crowd on Bleecker St, as he was agitated with all the people in his way. That shit was funny as hell, especially with his face all contorted and pissed off. I yelled: "Viva La Stroller!"

oh, but he shouldn't be ripping people off.

Posted by Big Perm | December 8, 2008 10:50 AM

WASSSUP BIG PERM...i mean big worm.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 11:01 AM

i'm confused - does joe satriani now sue creaky boards, or does creaky boards sue satriani?

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 11:14 AM

I hope this means we never have to hear from them ever again....Coldplay is like Nicolas Sparks "books" set to music

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 11:19 AM

It took Satriani over a decade to come up with THAT???

Posted by Loop | December 8, 2008 11:25 AM

"it felt like coldplay shoved somthing up my ass- oh wait.. i like that.."

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 11:51 AM

Mr. Satriani sucks worse than anyone. Jealous much Joe?

Silly silly lawsuit.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 11:56 AM

Yeah Satriani is fucking terrible. Nice job with that Rolling Stone article and Chris Martin trying to keep his hipster points saying he only rips off the first Jay-Z album. Cracker.

Anyway, in conclusion, both of these bands are god awful.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:01 PM

Anyway, in conclusion, both of these bands are god awful.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:01 PM

Anyway, in conclusion, both of these bands are god awful.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:02 PM

maybe this was all just a scheme cooked up by Eno to try to bring Coldplay down...

Posted by jason | December 8, 2008 12:26 PM

Just have Satriani join Coldplay on tour. Everybody's happy.

Posted by drewo | December 8, 2008 12:36 PM

my neighbor downstairs plays the new coldplay disc incessantly at high volume. i'm about ready to drive my car into her living room to stop it. i noticed coldplay stealing hooks when they first came out, i'm not sure why it took this long for them to get sued.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:55 PM

"I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much,"

Poor Joe....

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:55 PM

go eno go!

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 12:59 PM

wow 2 bands that suck

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 1:02 PM

"And the performance turned out to be so spontaneous, so right and so emotional, that it wound up being a keeper."

Something about using the word spontaneous in any way within a statement where you talk about taking 10 years to write a song seems ridiculous.

Posted by mp77 | December 8, 2008 1:06 PM

sounds to me like a rip off. also sounds like Satriani was gonna let it slide until Coldplay acted like jerks towards him.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 1:12 PM

I've edited this story to make it interesting. Please read the revised edition:

"It was a love letter to my cock- a simple, direct expression of feeling.

"That's what really hurts about this whole thing. That I spent so long stroking my cock, thinking about it, loving it, nursing it, and then finally piercing it and standing on stages the world over playing with it - and then somebody comes along and plays the exact same cock and calls it their own."

Posted by chronic masturbator. | December 8, 2008 1:24 PM

Both of these songs, as well as the creaky boards song, have really really generic melodies. In fact, note the fact that the New Kids/Ne-Yo song, "Single," has the same melody. I don't like Coldplay AT ALL, but I feel fairly confident that they were not listening to Joe Satriani, that timeless hit maker, and thinking, "Man! Now HERE is something we've got to rip off."

Posted by alex | December 8, 2008 1:41 PM

This comes as quite a shock. I thought that coldplay was a pretty original band.

Posted by barn dweller. | December 8, 2008 1:45 PM

Radio Exile is having a contest to embarrass Satriani. Find a song with the same melody as If I Could Fly, Viva La Vida, and Song I Didn't Write but which predates all of them, and we will give you your choice of any 10 CD's we're reviewed this year and Creaky Boards (who are awesome btw) have thrown in some cool swag too. Just e-mail us at radioexile@gmail.com

Posted by wingedfeetxc | December 8, 2008 2:27 PM

Coldplay is like Nicolas Sparks "books" set to music.

HAHAHA true.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 3:09 PM

i'm really torn here, because, on one hand, I love coldplay and think they're really awesome, creative musicians. but i think what they did to Joe is really bad. I like Joe a lot too. he can really shred. I don't know what to believe and its tearing me up inside.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 3:56 PM

cobralegs

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2008 3:57 PM

they did nothing to Joe.

Posted by Anonymous | December 9, 2008 1:23 PM

marty balin should sue them all!!!!
especially that douchebag satriani.

Posted by Anonymous | December 12, 2008 10:52 PM

Coldplay's song "talk" or whatever the title of that song sounds exactly like Kraftwerk's "computer love". travesty

Posted by Melina | December 16, 2008 10:18 PM

I spent 20 years writing "Yankee Rose" for my mom. Sniff!

this is a lie by the way:

Joe did NOT make the list, and nobody else gives a fuck about him either.

Posted by Steve Vai | December 16, 2008 10:42 PM