Posted in music on December 16, 2008

Neil Young @ MSG, NYC - Dec 15, 2008 (penfifteenclub)
Neil Young

Neil Young, Wilco and Everest played their first of two shows together at Madison Square Garden in NYC last night (12/15). They do it again tonight. Neil's set list from last night, below...

Neil Young @ Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York.
12-15-2008

1. Love And Only Love
2. Hey Hey, My My
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
4. Powderfinger
5. Spirit Road
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Cinnamon Girl
8. Oh, Lonesome Me
9. Mother Earth
10. The Needle And The Damage Done
11. Light A Candle
12. "Cough Up The Bucks"
13. Fuel Line
14. "Hit The Road And Go To Town"
15. Unknown Legend
16. Heart Of Gold
17. Old Man
18. Get Back To The Country
19. "Off The Road"
20. Just Singing A Song
21. When Worlds Collide
22. Cowgirl In The Sand
23. Rockin' In The Free World
24. "Get Behind The Wheel"
25. A Day In The Life

Too bad Neil rips his fans off with the ridiculous high ticket prices. Number 12 pretty much sums it up for Neil these days.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:38 AM

yeah.... a neil young show should be 20 bucks
i mean the man worked all his life what does he need the money for. you know what, he should just play FREE shows, or basement parties, thats whats hes worked for right.....right....

Posted by brock | December 16, 2008 10:42 AM

Anybody have the Wilco setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:45 AM

too many new songs

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:47 AM

Via Chicago / Impossible Germany / You Are My Face / Spiders (Kidsmoke) / Hummingbird / Forget the Flowers / Jesus Etc. / Walken / I'm the Man Who Loves You

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:49 AM

Was at the show. First off, Wilco sounded great. Neil was awesome, but the middle section of the night (songs 12 - 14) were lame. The first 7 songs alone were worth the price of admission. Yes, ticket bastard's prices are expensive, but he was worth it last night.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:49 AM

Anybody got set times??????

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:50 AM

Anybody got set clothes?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:51 AM

of course they played "Forget the Flowers" last night!!!! grrr... I'm sure they won't play it again tonight.

Posted by wembley | December 16, 2008 10:51 AM

Evereest: 8pm - 8.30
Wilco: 8.50 - 9.30
Neil: 10.10 pm - 12.30 am

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:52 AM

It is a bit of a rip off that the cheapest tickets that were super-far away were $75. I don't blame Neil since thats what all shows cost, but its getting insane.
But last year when he played those theater shows and the cheapest tickets were $125, well this is better than that.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:53 AM

Neil is lost forever.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:53 AM

everest - not sure, i skipped them.
wilco - about 9 to 9:45.
neil - about 10-12:30

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:55 AM

who was on Neil Young's shirt?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:00 AM

WILCO STARTS AT 8:45 PROMPT. same last night. anon 10:55 is clueless. WILCO is OVER by 9:30 PROMPT.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:00 AM

It is a privelege to hear brand new Neil Young songs, songs that have not been released yet. But no, his fans complain about them and talk through them and just want to hear Cinammon Girl again and again and again. Pathetic. Neil deserves better fans.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:01 AM

i've been a neil fan since 1972 and first saw him with steven stills on the ill-fated stills/young tour of 1976.

i've seen him numerous times since, and shelled out BIG bucks for decent seats when CSNY reunited in 2000.

but, sadly, i skipped this tour and the last one when he played theaters because tickets were just ridiculously expensive. after 34 years of concert going, i just can't sit in the crap seats anymore. i go to so few shows now that i want a decent seat with decent view&sound.

and most times the cost is just prohibitive. i won't pay close to $100 to sit in seats a mile from the stage.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:02 AM

Via Chicago
Impossible Germany
You Are My Face
Spiders
Hummingbird
Jesus, etc.
Forget the Flowers
Walken
I'm the Man who Loves You

Posted by JR | December 16, 2008 11:06 AM

yeah it sucks...I'm a giant fan and have never seen him...too bad I'm a broke 24 year old living in nyc

Posted by Brussel Sprout | December 16, 2008 11:07 AM

sorry 11:00. sorry i am not prompt dicko. i was too busy enjoying myself to write shit down on my legal pad. glad you were prompt. i hope you got home by your curfew prompt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:08 AM

The quality of Neil's music has a direct inverse relationship to the rising cost of his ticket prices, the greedy bastard.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:10 AM

I thought the sound level was too low (more so for Wilco than Neil), and a bit muddy all night. It's also a shame that they didn't let the openers use the video screens.

Neil definitely had his moments, but I thought some of the new stuff sucked away the momentum. That said, I'll never bash an artist for playing new material - that's what they are supposed to be doing! Some of my hilights were "Oh, Lonesome Me", "Cortez the Killer", "Old Man", and "Hey Hey, My My".

Perhaps the sound will be improved tonight, although I definitely don't have the cash to see two shows at that price.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:12 AM

Who was on his shirt?????

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:15 AM

agree w/ 11:12. not nearly loud enough. it would've helped drown out the talkers (really, through Powderfinger??)

Posted by b. shakey | December 16, 2008 11:17 AM

At these shows I miss hipsters. Atleast hipsters pretend to watch the show instead of talking about their TPS reports and pounding $11.25 beers. Never thought I'd miss hipsters at shows.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:20 AM

Neil was in EPIC form. Yeah the middle songs were lame, but you have to allow Neil to be indulgent sometimes. But he messed with the crowd and gave just stunning versions of Cortez, Hey Hey, Cowgirl in the Sand and omg what was that Beatles cover at the end all about!?!?

Please shut up about ticket prices you cheap bastards. You got Wilco + Neil Young. Give over it's not 1972 anymore.

Posted by Andy C | December 16, 2008 11:20 AM

Neil's new stuff was OK, but plenty of great moments in his set: Cowgirl in the Sand; Cortez; Everybody Knows This is Nowhere; Day in the Life

Wilco was very good, though wish sound was a little better.

Everest was good, but would have preferred more Wilco instead.

Posted by nbflowers | December 16, 2008 11:22 AM

It was Borat on Neil's shirt.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:23 AM

"Who was on his shirt?????"

Zappa

I have to say tickets were extremley reduced on craigslist and scored very good seats at half cost.

Call me when a 2% of bands on this site are filling up MSG when the are 63 years old (mind you this man puts more energy into his live show than band whose members are 40 years younger than him).

Wilco also sounded very nice and the place was pretty filled up for them.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:23 AM

For people complaining about the ticket prices. I went last night around 8:30 and I was able to find Section 82 Row A for $25! The face value for that ticket was over $270 (w/ Ticketmaster charges). And my two friends were able to find tickets for $25 each also in 300 section. Don't give up! There are really nice people out there!

Posted by Thank you! | December 16, 2008 11:24 AM

the ticket prices are expensive, but as long as you're not too old to stand, the $90 GA tix are the way to go. They were going for face or less on ebay and craigslist, are right in front of the stage, and at least the people there stfu.

Plus you get the added bonus of blocking the view of the people who paid $260 for floor seats behind you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:26 AM

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:29 AM

I thought it was Jim Croce on the shirt.

Decent show. There were a few too many new songs. At least there were lots of hits too.

My problem was the late hour of the show. When you have a great band like Wilco opening, why add a third act? The arena was full of sleepy middle aged fans, who by 11:30 probably wanted to be home in bed (me included).

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:30 AM

As Neil himself pointed at last year at the UPT shows, doing the smaller venues means higher prices as the gross is far smaller. Also, big arena shows act as a subsidy for smaller venues. Plus he plays for 2.5 hours for heaven's sake. Go spend $50 for a 45 minute Oasis show and report back later.

If you are in the standing room only section tonight, you best not be talking during Powderfinger.

I hope Jeff Tweedy tears our love apart again.

Posted by smack | December 16, 2008 11:39 AM

How fast did the GA section fill up? I'll definitely be there for Wilco but I'm not too interested in checking out Everest.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:42 AM

Saw this show in Philly last Friday night. I stood 3 people back from the stage, around 15 feet away from Neil. It was AMAZING!!!

Btw, some sh!t is just expensive. That's the way it is! To think that Neil Young and/ or Ticketmaster owe you cheaper admission is just straight up ridiculous. The economy sucks and we all feel the pinch....c'est la vie!

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:42 AM

@11:29

you are brilliant

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:44 AM

For all of you who can't afford the ticket prices to this show (which is totally understandable), get on Craigslist or go to the Garden and hunt. You will be able to get in for $20-30 and you will be able to get a really good seat for $50-60. There are way more tickets then people looking out there. I bought a 6th row center on the floor for $50 at 8:15. Wilco goes on at 8:45 so you've got time. Just make sure you buy from desperate fans and not the shady guys. There were some fake tickets floating around. Good luck and enjoy! it's two amazing bands and one solid opener. Worth the effort!

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:45 AM

@ 11:29 - you should be taking economics, not English. 'There's no such thing as a free lunch, discuss'.

Oh how I love the world owes me a living mentality. Good luck out there in the big wide world buddy.

Posted by Andy C | December 16, 2008 11:48 AM

GA for Neil was surprisingly not all that packed. Seemed as though a few people cleared out after Wilco.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:49 AM

Yeah, GA was not crowded, great view of the stage, it's the way to go if you are trying to get tickets for tonight

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:53 AM

It looked like Saddam Hussein on his shirt. No?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 11:53 AM

I heard the people who work at these shows like to be paid- I heard ticketmaster and MSG like to get paid- where do you think this money should come from Neil?

Posted by rb | December 16, 2008 11:55 AM

c'mon man. the new songs are LAME. i have an open mind. overall the show was outstanding and worth every penny

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:02 PM

I'm always amazed at people on this board who defend these kinds of ticket prices. Really, $250 for a good seat? Neil is setting these prices, not ticketmaster. Anyone who has followed Neil's career knows he does exactly what he wants. He is great, he is a legend, and he is a greedy, greedy man.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:02 PM

GA Tickets on the floor were all $89.50. Got to dance all night. Loved "A day in the life" and the new stuff. It'll grow on you. Remember Greendale.
Wilco, First time for me live. They did an awesome job. Perfect compliment to Neil.

Posted by Eleanor | December 16, 2008 12:07 PM

What is with you people. I grew up on Neil and can't believe the audacity of the man. He plays what he wants and could give a hoot about you. If it were Dylan he would be getting trashed to high heaven in here right now. The sound was muddy but when you pay big bucks for tix, booze and dope, you'd better whoop your ass off to rationalize the great time you had. Get real, you were ripped off. I got my tix as a gift so I don't feel as bad, just a little violated.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:08 PM

greedy or not, this argument is ridiculous. this is economics 101: supply and demand. Madison Square Garden may be the biggest venue in NY, but it can't hold an unlimited number of people. He sold out two nights, if you can't afford the ticket there are other people that can. Unfortunately that's how it works.

@11:29, you said you're a grad student at Hunter. I know a lot of people who'd love to be able to afford grad school right now. It would be great if they could open up registration to anyone regardless of payment. They can't do that though, or if they did would you still benefit as much if class sizes jumped from 20 a class to 200 a class? Same theory applies for this show. He could open up $20 tickets but how much larger would the venue have to be, or how many nights would he have to play MSG to satisfy everyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:11 PM

great set from Neil I liked a bunch of the new songs and the classic Neil was excellent. I purchased the less expensive tickets because at the Garden you can always move up for most of the show. Spent Everest and Wilco in the expensive seats a few rows from the stage. Had to go back for Neil but half way thru the set went back up front and there were several empty seats.

ticket prices are expensive for plenty of acts who only play 1 hour. You got 2 1/2 from Neil plus Wilco. My complaint is there was no need to add Everest to the bill. A little more Wilco and an earlier nite would have been better. Although Everest weren't bad.

and we use to argue about where to see Neil cause of price Spectrum in philly ($7) and MSG ($9.50) in 78. haha

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:14 PM

definitely Zappa on the shirt, it said Zappa underneath the picture of him

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:35 PM

are there no pictures of this show?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:39 PM

How about one last hurrah of "Let's Impeach the President"? We still have 34 days to impeach Bush.

Neil Young should also write a song honoring Obama.

Posted by Grant | December 16, 2008 12:41 PM

i'm pretty sure it was Emiliano Zapata on his shirt, not Frank Zappa. yes, tickets are expensive and yes, some of the new songs are a good time for a beer or bathroom run, but wilco was great and neil was on fire. mid-way thru 'hey hey my my' i already felt like it was worth the money.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:47 PM

if you had GA Floor tix did they search you at all getting in? the tix say no cameras, and I wanted to bring one in. and maybe a little flask. will it be a problem?

i've never been searched at MSG before, but I've also never had GA floor tix.

Posted by wembley | December 16, 2008 12:48 PM

could you puff in there last night???

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 12:51 PM

He was wearing the same shirt two nights earlier in Worcester. Hope he washed it.

Posted by DINK FUCKERSON | December 16, 2008 12:52 PM

@ 11:29
you are joking, right? you want a background check on each person who goes to a concert, just to know how much you should pay? or you'll trust people to pay what they should?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:00 PM

I had a GA ticket and they didn't search me or my bag. I got my wristband and then just sailed right in.

Insane amount of puffing being done on the floor. I don't know about in the seats.

Posted by anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:01 PM

I have GA tix for tonight. Is it one huge section or is it split up? Should I get there early and if so guesstimate on time?

Thanks!

Posted by wingwalker77 | December 16, 2008 1:04 PM

Security was relaxed. You can sneak a smoke and probably a flask.

It was classic Neil Young - the big bass and drum sound topped with blitzkreig guitar. The first half was stronger, up through Cortez. New songs are mixed, but songs like "Cough Up The Bucks" had a modern sounding framework. He probably could have tightened up the set by cutting about half and hour. But we all want our money's worth, right? Years from now some of us will be talking about seeing Neil Young in concert back in the day -- I don't think the price of tickets will be discussed.

Posted by drewo | December 16, 2008 1:06 PM

I think it was Richard Pryor on the T-shirt. No, seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:06 PM

i was on the floor GA, better seats than donald trump (he left around halfway thru neil) and didn't seem to like wilco too much and ethan hawke (who stayed for the whole show)

GA pit was not crowded at all, easy to move around, there were a lot of people with cameras in the pit, security didn't seem to walk around in the pit, just on the outside near it.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:09 PM

@ 11:48 :::::::::::

I agree with you buddy. Life isn't fair. Don't hate the player hate the game, or get really good at the game and make your own future. If seeing Neil Young is THAT important to you then eat bread for a couple days.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:14 PM

definitely Che Guevara on his shirt, fo reals

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:18 PM

To recap:

Possible images on Neil Young's shirt last night:

1. Borat
2. Croce
3. Zappa
4. Zapata
5. Pryor
6. Erkel

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:19 PM

"As a Graduate Student in English at Hunter, who is barely scraping by and who, through the years, has listened constantly to Neil Young, I find the price tag for his shows to be insane. If I was to ever find myself, through fate and or luck, in Mr. Young's position in the world, I would be sure that students hear/read/see me for free and let those who have made their money pay.

Why aren't shows like Radiohead's album of "In Rainbows" for which I downloaded for free then went back and paid $10? Shouldn't shows be pay what you can?"

Most clueless person I have ever encountered on these laughable message boards.

Posted by CN | December 16, 2008 1:24 PM

where the pics at??

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:26 PM

It's a t-shirt from some restaurant in San Antonio.

The image is of Emiliano Zapata.

Posted by Qbertplaya | December 16, 2008 1:31 PM

after all the talk, i really wanna see pictures of this t-shirt.

i agree prices these days are very high, but in context Neil's tix are on the low end of stadium concert prices. Neil young could easily sell out 1 night at the same prices the Police, u2 or Elton john tix go for.

Posted by huh? | December 16, 2008 1:32 PM

Definitely not the best show of Neil's that I've seen, but I'm definitely biased toward the old stuff. I thought he did a great job on those, with the exception of Cowgirl In The Sand. I personally thought that was the worst version of that song that I've ever heard. Sounded to me like he started mid guitar solo, and never quite played the whole song - could've been me though. I had just sat through a whole bunch of songs I didn't know and didn't like. It was also after midnight - I think I was half alseep. I'm a night owl, but evidentally Neil is more so. I agree with the other poster who said 2 bands is enough.

On the positive side, I did think he nailed all the other old ones, especially Cortez The Killer. Also, I don't think I've every heard him do Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere - that was a nice surprise.

One other complaint - I love the Beatles, and that song in particluar, but if I have to sit through half a concert of inferior(in my opinion) songs, I'd prefer to hear another Neil Young song as an encore - Down By The River? Southern Man? It's not like he's lacking an adequate catalogue to pull from. As far as that other encore goes, I've never heard of it. For all I know, it's a big favorite of the fans of the new material, but I didn't see a single person anywhere near me who looked excited about that one.

Still very glad I went, but next time I'll check the recent set lists, so I know what to expect. I should know that by now when it comes to Neil. I sat through the Shocking Pinks tour he did back in the 80's - shocking? Yes, enjoyable? No.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:33 PM

ok neil, that was very nice, the way you played nice guitar on those nice neil young songs. Powderfinger. Cortez. Nice.

now the part where you played all those shitty imitation john cougar songs about girls who remind you of cars?

don't you dare play any of those songs ever again. ever.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 1:44 PM

That was Ron Jeremy on his shirt.
And SCNY were alwas money grubbers... inflated ticket prices even back in the Hippie days.

Posted by David Crosby's liver | December 16, 2008 2:28 PM

i know it's not 1972 anymore, andy c(hump), but there are limits to what one can/will pay for entertainment. it matters not if there's an amazing opening band (i've seen sonic youth open for neil, i've seen tegan & sara open for him, i've seen the pretenders open for him) or how long his set is - expensive is expensive.

and there are many artists of neil's stature (arguable, of course) who've never set ticket prices as high and who perform just as solidly and for just as long (elvis costello for one).

this is all subjective off course (what's expensive to me is pocket change to others). and it's not that i can't afford it. i just choose not to be overcharged for several hours of music, albeit GREAT music.

just one fan's opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 2:28 PM

Maybe hes charging that much in order to pay the triple overtime to the union crew at MSG...shows there usually end at 11 precisely to avoid that. And to that one naive poster... if you are barely scraping by now, wait til you find out what kind of job a gradute degree in English from Hunter College gets you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 2:39 PM

waaaaah. here i am sitting at my computer at working and complaining about something...again. stop your bitching already.

Posted by nads | December 16, 2008 2:40 PM

huh?

For the sake of accuracy, it is important to note that the General Admission tickets for the last two U2 tours have been around $45 - $60. They are the best seats in the house and the cheapest. There were more expensive tickets the seats but let's give them credit on the GA prices.

Posted by loop | December 16, 2008 2:43 PM

Neil was awesome. There is no one more punk than neil these days. It was when he told the CEO's in the building to F%$# off. It doesn't get better than that.

Posted by Dooder City | December 16, 2008 2:44 PM

Just to complicate the ticket price discussion (or bring it in line with the multi-decade nature of it as per Neil's career), check any inlfation calculator out there, and you will find that in 2007 bucks (PRIOR to 2008...a very inflationary time):

$100= $52.55 (1985 dollars)
$100= $26.22 (1975 dollars)
$100= $20.39 (1972 dollars)

In short...go if you can afford it, and stay home if you can't. Shit's complicated though and Neil (while responsible to not be a pig) should not be held to account for it all without deeper analysis.

Posted by mike | December 16, 2008 2:52 PM

1972 - Elvis Costello played in the bar at London Irish for free Guinness. Magnificent.

But c'mon, it was Neil Young. And I was okay with paying $100 for 2.5 hours of Neil.

Don't get me started on the Police. Or the Rolling Stones. $200+ and you have to join the Tour Fan club just to get a chance of tickets?? Last night was a bargain in comparison.

And yeah the car songs were lame. But when Neil stops feeling like he's still valid, then you won't get to see him play anymore. I can handle 2 or 3 lame songs for that. Indulge him people - he's damn old!

Posted by andy c | December 16, 2008 2:54 PM

"$100= $26.22 (1975 dollars)"

guess it is a rip off then I paid $7 in 78.

Neil Young is not punk

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 2:58 PM

I think that was Ronnie Van Zant.

"Tonight's the Night"

Posted by neilster | December 16, 2008 3:06 PM

he didn't have any songs as bad as "Cough Up The Bucks," "Hit the Road," "Light a Candle," "Just Singing A Song" etc in 1978 either.

hey, I had a good time, I got my $40 worth, the first 10 songs were prime, but let's not shit ourselves, ok? The final two-thirds of the show was pure crap. not even neil young-sounding crap. just crap.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:07 PM

I didn't think he told the CEO's in the building to F%$# off. Maybe I misinterpreted it, but I thought he told us to kiss up to the record executives for him - he said, approximately, "the people from my record label are here, so make a lot of noise for those new songs, whether you like them or not".

That would be punk if the songs were groundbreaking in some way, and really good, but just not commercial enough for the people at the record label. I love Neil, but I didn't think they were either of those things. Plus, if the songs are good, people are going to make noise, regardless of who's in the house.

just my opinion

Posted by finboy | December 16, 2008 3:15 PM

what time did neil go on?

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:15 PM

10:08 pm

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:20 PM

btwn Wilco and Neil, there was a long intermission (longer than Wilco's set) so bring a magazine. Lots of sitting and waiting.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:21 PM

Regarding the new songs, I don't mind a few thrown in, but there were a bunch of these songs which I must say for me fell into a long line of cheesy Neil songs based on current events that Neil has a penchant for - Let's Roll is a good example. Neil simply couldn't play more than a few classics in a row from his incredible catalog of musis before throwing in a new cheesy number, and than another. It definitely hurt the tempo of the show.

Also, Neil has been playing basically the same set list from town to town on this tour so don't expect to hear anything new tonight if your going again.

Posted by bmcquil | December 16, 2008 3:21 PM

>>what time did neil go on?

I think it was around 10.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:21 PM

Stop making me laugh! I'm going to need to use the toilet soon!

Posted by David Crosby's Kidneys | December 16, 2008 3:43 PM

this setlist is considerably longer than the setlist he had for last year's run at the united palace, which, for the electric band set, was the same night after night. this is gonna be good. too bad that i have nosebleed seats!

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 3:56 PM

Could one of you younger fans help an old guy figure out where some of the songs I didn't recognize last night are from. I wasn't crazy about most of them, but I'd still like to know which albums they're from or whether it's unrecorded material.

Rust Never Sleeps is probably the "newest" Neil album I've ever owned. I've heard enough of Harvest Moon to know that I'd like to own it, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Here are the songs from the set list that I didn't recognize - any help in figuring out if they are from a "new" album(after 1980) or new material, not yet recorded, would be very much appreciated.

1,5,9,11-14,18-21,24

Thanks

Posted by finboy | December 16, 2008 4:05 PM

was there a separate entrance for General Admission last night? i seem to remember they enter from the side, but not sure. thanks.

Posted by j | December 16, 2008 4:08 PM

screw all of you , i live across the canyon from neil in la honda and sometimes on a foggy coastal night , you can hear him beating his wife ..

Posted by david crosby | December 16, 2008 4:17 PM

1 and 9 were from Ragged Glory (which still sounds great) and 5 is from Chrome Dreams II. the others are new songs, and hopefully we'll never hear him sing them again.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 4:23 PM

I think this is the picture of Zapata on his shirt:

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 4:33 PM

^^^ yeah... is there a separate entrance for GA?

Posted by wembley | December 16, 2008 4:33 PM

Everyone be prepared for the same setlist tonight. Don't think it's changed once on his entire tour.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 5:29 PM

yo, what's a ninja gotta do to get some pics up in this piece???

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 5:45 PM

andy c

i saw the rolling stones for $17 in 1981 and i thought that was a high price at the time.

That has nothing to do with this conversation, i just wanted to tell you that.

Posted by huh? | December 16, 2008 5:58 PM

What a bunch of damned whiners.

The sets were fantastic. I'd love to see any one of you as a 63-year-old rocking like Neil does.

GA, for the most part, was awesome. We were on the rail and save for two guys who thought it was okay to get a little fresh (and the ever-present group of women who have no qualms about shoving their way to the front), it was a pretty good crowd.

Thank you, Everest. Thank you, Wilco. Thank you, Neil Young.

Posted by UhHuhYeah | December 16, 2008 8:55 PM

Price .?. Hey i wish it was 1972 and tickets were $25 bucks too , but $25 in '72 = a $100 today = what a good dinner costs.. and 2+ hrs of Neil doing what he and no one else can do with a guitar these days ... is worth it what ever year year you are living in .. He was great as always.. keep on rockin

Posted by RICK | December 16, 2008 10:04 PM

Keiji Haino can do some pretty cool things to a guitar...

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:10 PM

I was there last night and I think Neil is worth every dime.

If you are going to bitch and moan about the price of tickets, setlist, and the fact that a MUSICIAN is still currently releasing albums, and god forbid playing that music at his concerts . . then you shouldn't have been there. Show a little respect, the man has earned it.

That said Cortez was by far my favorite. Thanks for a great show Neil.

Posted by Cara | December 16, 2008 10:27 PM

Your welcome Cara... I read every single music blog after my shows just to make sure that everyone is nice to me... In fact, I'm playing a show right now, I took a break just to quickly skim through all the music blogs on the web so I can make sure people still like me... I was just about to go out there and do a bad rest of the show... but you made it all worth it...
Keep on rockin' in the free world,
-Neil.

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:34 PM

wilco played forget the flowers, it was solid

Posted by Anonymous | December 16, 2008 10:51 PM

Why is everyone whining about tickets!? The GA tickets were cheap face ($100) and were ALL over the place on CL etc.

For $100 or less you got to stand in the front half of the floor, that's an awesome setup. Very cool of Neil to do GA at the garden.

Posted by Crazy Levi | December 16, 2008 11:48 PM

$100 ain't cheap at all.

Neil Young doesn't need to make ridiculous money. Think of all the poorer fans who couldn't afford to go, especially in this economy.

Tickets in 1973 weren't $25, they were closer to $5.

Back in those days musicians wanted THE PEOPLE to come see them play, not just the gentry.

(trigger libertarian free marketeer backlash comment now)

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 12:46 AM

folks, if neil young played shows for $20 a ticket today, the scalpers would still be selling them for $200 dollars, and the assholes who go to shows to drink beer all night will still shell out the said $200 to the scalpers (and they'll probably end up sittin in your row).

simply, in this day and age, the scalpers are always skimming off the artist's rightful cut. demand will exceed supply, and in this framework, the artist gets screwed. just because you are poor (or cheap or nostalgic about the past) doesn't mean that the artist shouldn't try to make the best of the situation.

does anyone really think that if neil young tickets were $20 that all the people in attendance will have paid $20 for their ticket? so for the remote chance that you might get your ticket for $20 (demand will exceed supply at this price and your chances of scoring a ticket will diminish exponentially), neil young should forgo on a good payday?

quit complaining about ticket prices and follow these two rules: 1) never buy from scalpers or from other assholes who want to mark up their tickets for resale. 2) never sell your unwanted tickets to someone who looks or acts like a scalper; there's always a real fan who is desperate for that ticket you can't use.

and if you want to stick to your $20 a ticket stance, go buy any of the 3 neil young archive series releases. they're damn good and you might be able to find yourself a copy for $13.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:54 AM

1:54 says a lot of things that sound convincing but aren't actually the truth.

in this day and age, it is exceedingly easy to control how many tickets an individual buys. even without technology, you can always simply have a four paper ticket per person limit. You'd have to hire an army of homeless guys to stand in line inorder to hoard all of the GA tickets available for Madison Square Garden. Thus,the scalpers are easily held at bay.

Furthermore, using technology, since 99% of all tickets are bought with credit cards these days, it is also incredibly easy to stymie the ticket hoarding scalpers by tracking credit card numbers and ip addresses, limiting purchases via that route as well.

the simple truth is that $100 a ticket is an absurd amount of money for Neil Young to charge for the priviledge to watch his old ass play at Madison Square Garden. He, and his management machine, are greedy. He's charging 5 times what he charged at the peak of his career, in the early 1970s, and that's generously adjusting for inflation. And he is already a VERY rich man to begin with.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 2:08 AM

Neil Young played well last night with his band.

Posted by graham parsons | December 17, 2008 8:37 AM

2:08

"the simple truth is that $100 a ticket is an absurd amount of money for Neil Young to charge for the priviledge to watch his old ass play at Madison Square Garden"

If 100 dollars a ticket will keep assholes like you from being at the show with me, then I think it's a fair and solid price. If he's not worth the price to you, then don't go.

You can expect to pay 100 or more for most concerts or sports tickets, and price really depends on where you are. Last year Neil played in Bushkill PA tickets were $35.

The idea that he doesn't deserve to profit from shows because of age and overall career success is absurd. I hope he is at home wiping his 'old ass' with your 100 dollars.

Posted by Cara | December 17, 2008 9:11 AM

anyone have setlists from last night?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 10:41 AM

BTW Neil was FANTASTIC last night. Unreal. So go fuck yrselves!

Posted by wingwalker77 | December 17, 2008 10:51 AM

it's an honour to see neil young play live. $100 for GA is cheap. i'll starve for a few weeks, but won't complain. sorry, but good art has a price. if you don't want to acknowledge it - fine, but don't start a ridiculous debate. i am a student and $100 is a lot of money for me as well. i just don't understand why neil should be charging less. new york is an expensive city.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 11:15 AM

Last time Bob Pollard rolled through town, I paid $20.

I guarantee you it was more satisfying than seeing an old train collector yank his Bigsby for two hours.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 11:25 AM

Someone commented prior "Can you puff?"

Legally? Obviously not. Should you have the feeling of freedom to indulge during a great version of Cortez the Killer?

In my opinion, yes. The wall-street type man - 'company gave me the tickets' next to me who was playing with his iPhone throughout the show, (and entirely through Wilco), clearly disagreed. He placed his shirt over his face in disgust and frantically waved his hand back and forth as not to be polluted.

Amazing to see a legend- point blank. Yes- Cough up the Bucks sucked (not because it was not a great Neil Young song, but just because it was bad song in general.) But seriously, we know he is very political and I am happy to have had the opportunity see him solo before he is gone.

Posted by hearthroughands | December 17, 2008 11:45 AM

So for those doing the math, 5 Bob Pollard shows for 1 Neil Young show. Thanks, I'll stick with Neil.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 11:56 AM

tom celic

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 12:53 PM

setlists? anyone? anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:13 PM

Neil would profit quite well at $25 a ticket. MSG holds 20,000 people. That's a gross of $500,000

The fact of the matter is that he profits obnoxiously, decadently at $100 a ticket. Gross there is 2 *MILLION* dollars.

The people here defending high ticket prices are fools. The artists are laughing at you for your ignorance, all the way to the bank.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:19 PM

my favorite moment was "Cough Up the Bucks." but I'll never forget the thrilling opening notes of "Fuel Line." someday I'll tell the grandchildren I sang along to "Just Singin' a Song."

but why did he sing all those old songs about aztecs and cowgirls? Boring!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:24 PM

I went last night, and it seemed to follow night one pretty closely (if not exactly) but I'm not positive.

My only comment really is that I think the only people who REALLY enjoyed the show were those in the GA section. Everyone else who had a seat sat their ass in it the whole show, and not until "Rockin' in the free world" did maybe 5% of them get up. Being arguably one of the younger folks there (I'm 28) I'm pretty used to standing at rock concerts, and it pained me to sit through this one. I stood for the first two songs and some fuckstick 2 rows behind me got out of his seat and asked the person I was with and me to sit. At that point I noticed that basically the entire venue (GA excluded) was, so I caved. That all being said, I wish I bought cheaper/worse seats so I wouldn't have been surrounded by uptight assholes, and that would be my only complaint for the show.

Posted by Funderburgh | December 17, 2008 1:24 PM

The Neil setlist on night 2 was identical to night 1. All members of Wilco and Everest joined in on backing vocals for "Rockin in the Free World" - not sure if that happened on night 1 as well.

The Wilco setlist was very different from night 1 but I don't remember it. Jeff Tweedy's son was on stage hitting a drum for "Late Greats" because it was his birthday.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:55 PM

"Late Greats" was awesome.

Posted by wembley | December 17, 2008 2:02 PM

Norah Jones and (I think) the Watson Twins did backing vocals on "Jesus, etc".

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 2:04 PM

"Of course there are expenses to put on a big show, but that being said, how high do you think the expenses could possibly go?"

very high. people who own msg need to get paid and they def charge a retainer. wilco needs to get paid. everrest needs to get paid. stage crew needs to get paid. building employees need to get paid. sound and lighting people need to get paid. ticketmaster needs to get paid. ect. you think if neil charge $20 he'd walk out of their with $500,000? if you do you are a child.

i think the claim that neil sets his price is absurd. the price is most certainly set but ticketmaster and msg based on what they think they can get away with charging. if neil thought he could turn a profit at $20 i'm sure thats what he'd charge. in fact if you can find a concert that costs $25 at the garden, i'll by you $65 tickets the next time neil is in town.

Posted by Robbie | December 17, 2008 2:48 PM

actully, I said absolutely nothing of the sort.

That said, if Neil Young walked with $100,000 aftre each of the showsm, he'd be in pretty good shape, don't you think?

I can assure you Everest is getting close to nothing, and Wilco is getting far less than they would usually make. Bands do these opening slots for exposure and prestige, and are (under)paid accordingly.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 2:57 PM

pretty obvious that Neil picked up a lot from Hold Steady

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 2:59 PM

i dont think wilco took less than their usuall fee. mr young needed them more than they needed him.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:01 PM

3:01, interesting, but you're totaly wrong

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:08 PM

for the people complaining about the ticket prices, i assume you don't go to any yankees or mets games.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:13 PM

the price of culture is inversely proportionate to the relevance of culture

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:15 PM

I saw Wilco in 1973 for $5. Beer cost 6 cents.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:24 PM

Ok- tuesday's show: Neil is not going to be around much longer- and yes the prices were too high-not the best show- (sound was poor and I didn't think the band was very tight-esp. Hey Hey- pretty bad- beatles song for an encore? I agree with the earlier comment) NOW- I really want to go to some club and see the new hip rockin band for $15- who should I go check out- and since the people here evidently know everything about rock-and the business- I really would like some feedback- I've heard good things about some bands- who come thru the area-

PS: I showed up early to see Wilco- pretty lame. Also, Palace theater last year was the show(s) to see- fantastic-

Posted by rb | December 17, 2008 3:50 PM

Neil paid ME to listen to him sing in 1966. he also served me a beer and I slapped it out of his hand and said, "Is it strange I should change? I don't know. Why don't you ask her?"

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:01 PM

3:13, no. why would i waste time watching men in tights miss hitting a ball once every 5 minutes for $150 in the nosebleed section?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:05 PM

I saw Marlene Dietrich at the Sahara Hotel in 1953 for a bj.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:10 PM

Graham Nash was sitting in my row up in the nosebleeds. He was pissed about the ticket prices too.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:20 PM

3:24 - hysterical!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:52 PM

I've been seeing shows @ MSG since 73 and have never witnessed anyone pouring their soul into it the he did last night.He puts Clapton, McCartney,Pink Floyd et al, to shame.

If you're at Hunter at least you're in walking distance. If you went there early in the afternoon and explained your financial circumstances to one of his roadies, he'd probably throw you a pro bono ticket.

But you'd rather sit in your dorm an bitch.Good luck finding a job.

Posted by Professor | December 17, 2008 7:41 PM

What kind of music is it? It doesn't sound like rock!

Posted by Gale C. Morrow | December 20, 2010 7:13 AM