Posted in To Do | venues on December 22, 2008

Rakim @ Knitting Factory - Dec 19, 2008 (by msp188)
Rakim

upcoming shows @ Knitting Factory in NYC

1. Mon, Dec 22 - CLOSED
  2. Tue, Dec 23 - three assorted shows
  3. Wed, Dec 24 - CLOSED
  4. Thu, Dec 25 - CLOSED
  5. Fri, Dec 26 - CLOSED
  6. Sat, Dec 27 - two random shows
  7. Sun, Dec 28 - The Cro-Mags (jam) AND/OR Rocks Off presents Bustle in Your Hedgerow
  8. Mon, Dec 29 - Three floors of ska
  9. Tue, Dec 30 - CLOSED?
  10. Wed, Dec 31 - NEW YEARS EVE ("Akron/Family curates New Year's Eve! Performances by Deerhoof, Akron/Family, Dirty Projectors, Deer Tick, Megafaun, Talk Normal, Groover's Paradise (mems Oneida), Greg Davis, Infinity Window, tons more - a full-club farewell to the Leonard St. Knit!")
And that's it. Then the venue closes forever and a few months later "Knitting Factory" opens in Brooklyn.

The photo above is Rakim playing the venue's last hip hop show on Friday. More pics like it HERE.

R.I.P. Knitting Factory

How long did Luna Lounge last in Brooklyn? It went from being packed every night in Manhattan, to no one going in Brooklyn. KF will have the same fate.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 3:10 PM

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 3:20 PM

The Luna Lounge in NY was set up completely different, didn't charge a cover, and was about 1/5th the size. As much as I loved Luna Lounge in Brooklyn it just wasn't set up very smartly to survive without drawing in very large crowds on a regular basis.

Really hope KF does some remodeling and can survive in Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 3:38 PM

Knitting Factory was one of my fave venues on my summer trip to Manhattan. I'm heckofa bummed it's shutting down.

Posted by Uptown Sound | December 22, 2008 4:36 PM

Knitting Factory Manhattan sucked because the staff were shitty (save a few bookers), the sound sucked, location sucked.
Brooklyn Knit could survive if they don't implement the same rip-off practices that Luna Brooklyn did.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 4:45 PM

Bit-o-advice for owners/developers: Replace R Bar with new KF.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 4:55 PM

i will miss knitting factory so much in manhattan. my favorite venue. this really is a shame.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 6:51 PM

"Luna Lounge in Brooklyn died because booking/promoters ripped off bands. Those bands told other bands, etc. etc..."

Speaking on behalf of my friends and I:

We always met up at the Luna Lounge on Ludlow. None of us went to the location in Williamsburg. Face it, if you don't live on the L, getting to that location sucks. Too far away to take a chance on a new band. I really really really loved the old Luna Lounge.

I like the recent Knitting Factory. Some great bars in the area.

Posted by Anonymous | December 22, 2008 10:48 PM

sweet sorrow drinks my blood dry. not as sad as tonic, but definitely a downer.

Posted by annie momus | December 22, 2008 10:51 PM

glad they are gone. we need some more high priced condos.

Posted by the donald | December 22, 2008 11:14 PM

Michael Dorf is a greedy bastard. I loved the Knit when they cultivated their own avant jazz scene in the 1990's but when the booking turned to anything to fill the room then there was no longer a reason to go there blindly to see what was going on. I don't blame them for trying to pay the rent but I definitely lost my affection for the place over the past 10 years.

Also, in their defense, they had THE WORST neighbors in the world. When the block turned into high priced lofts, people called the cops every night if they could hear a murmur on the street or if someone, god forbid, was smoking a cigg. I'm sure Dorf and his crew of volunteers are happy not to have to deal with that anymore.

Posted by Jimbo | December 22, 2008 11:20 PM

I am very sad that the KF is closing. That was a great place, and I saw some really great shows there.

Posted by Renee | December 23, 2008 1:44 AM

Jeffrey Lewis had a nice tribute speech/song to KF on Sat. night. I am terribly sad this place is closing. Probably saw more shows there in last 2 years than any other venue.

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2008 10:59 AM

It was a great place to get some drinks...Used to go to the tap bar frequently to get some Fransenkaners! Yum...Good shows too!

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | December 23, 2008 11:27 AM

My heart skipped a beat at first. That headline made me think they were closing down. Period. Like CBGB. More shows, more music, new location sounds alot better.

Posted by musiclover #2 | December 28, 2008 3:45 PM

"Michael Dorf is a greedy bastard."

Michael Dorf hasn't been at the knit in over 10 years. The current people who run the place are the "greedy bastards." Jared Hoffman was his name i think? But he's gone too?

And the staff was crap. Good bye!

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2008 7:18 PM

I saw Jeff Buckley solo in the Tap Room early on a Monday night back in '95.

See ya in Brooklyn.

Posted by drewo | December 31, 2008 8:33 PM

KFC > KF

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2008 11:22 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 22, 2011 4:20 PM