Posted in To Do | music | tour dates on December 17, 2008

by Bill Pearis

Quasi
Quasi

This time of year is usually pretty slow, show-wise, but this seems to be an especially-packed week for shows. Here's some of the stuff I'm considering attending while I procrastinate on holiday gift shopping and doing all my year-end lists over on my own blog.

Crystal Stilts @ Less Artists More Condos (more by Gabi Porter)
Crystal Stilts

Speaking of, while I haven't posted my Best Albums of '08 yet, I will tell you Crystal Stilts' Alight of Night did make the Top Ten. They're playing tonight (12/17) at Le Poisson Rouge and even though I've seen them more times this year than I'd like to admit (and will probably see them again later this week), I will probably be in attendance. They're opening for Bay Area neo-fokies Vetiver, whose new covers album, Thing of the Past, is rather lovely.

Vetiver
Vetiver

Hot Snakes
Hot Snakes

Also tonight (12/17), is that double-shot of ex-Hot Snakes/Drive Like Jehu/Pitchfork bands at Santos Party House: Obits, that's fronted by Rick Froberg; and headliners The Night Marchers, which features John Reis and two other members of Hot Snakes. I have to admit Obits is more of a draw for me, as the band also features Sohrab Habibion who used to front Edsel, one of my favorite bands from the '90s DC scene. Obits just released their debut 7", "One Cross Apiece," which I like a lot. Will there be a mini Hot Snakes reunion tonight? Probably not, but you can always hope for a Christmas miracle.

Plus Minus
Plus Minus

Speaking of '90s indie rock survivors, Thursday (12/18) at Music Hall of Williamsburg is +/-, which is the band/solo project James Baluyut formed when Versus called it quits in the early part of this decade. Versus are playing shows again - and maybe recording new material (so I hear) - but +/- are still very much their own thing and going strong, having released their fourth album Xs on Your Eyes, back in October. Actually the whole line-up at MHoW that night is pretty great: Philly duo Pattern is Movement (who played a BV CMJ day party this year), Brooklyn indie royalty The Ladybug Transistor, and In Interview who I caught at NYC popfest back in June and who don't play nearly enough.

Also on Thursday (12/18): That A.C. Newman Get Guilty listening party at Stanton Public, which I originally thought was last week but wasn't. You can still RSVP for it at Insound. 8-10PM, free beer n' booze.

Sic Alps
Sic Alps

And last but absolutely not least, the can't miss show of the week has to be Saturday's (12/20) three floor-event at Knitting Factory curated by indie rock's original keyboard-drum duo, Quasi. Mates of State, Matt and Kim, etc, bow down to Sam Combes and Janet Weiss. The line-up is kind of staggering: awesome San Francisco garage rock duo Sic Alps (who I've plugged before), the aforementioned Crystal Stilts (a late addition to the bill), Jeffrey Lewis, Soft Circle (ex-Black Dice), plus films by legendary animator Sally Cruikshank (one of which is where Quasi got their name) and Craig Baldwin. Oh yeah, Marnie Stern is also playing. Tickets are $20, and worth it.

Night Marchers

I know that poster says doors for Santos is 7 but their site says 8. Anyone know for sure what time doors are and/or what time Obits goes on?

Posted by mp77 | December 17, 2008 1:39 PM

OMG!!! QUASI!!!!!!

Posted by Gabe | December 17, 2008 1:42 PM

Hot Snakes is and will always be the band that matters. Wishful thinking on a HS singalong.

That 2 song ep from Obits is insane. That album is going to rip and will be the best 09 release. Wish I could check that show out tonight..

Go Speedo!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:51 PM

QUASI
HOT SNAKES

BRAIN EXPLOSION!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:53 PM

crystal stilts are choice

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 1:55 PM

I think I might have to go to that Quasi show. It's probably been 8 years since the last time I've seen them. They used to be absolutely amazing! (and I'm sure they still are.)

Posted by wembley | December 17, 2008 2:13 PM

8pm two tears
9pm obits
10pm night marchers

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:05 PM

anyone know what time vetiver is playing tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:09 PM

i wanted to go see crystal stilts but i am not paying $17.50 to do so. darn.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 5:02 PM

The Night Marchers and Obits were absolutely insanely sick and great the other night here in Philly! Although I love Drive Like Jehu and Hot Snakes, I was disappointed with the Obits stuff on their MySpace stuff. Both are they great live, though. I can't wait for their full-length, too. As for The Night Marchers, what can I say? They made Obits seem like a distant memory. They just completely destroyed the place. Their full-length, See You in Magic, is great, too.

Anyway, I didn't realize that one of the other guys in Obits used to be in Edsel. I just listened to their version of a Cure song on the Give Me the Cure tribute comp this morning!

Posted by Matt Berlyant | December 18, 2008 1:12 PM

I'm sorry, but other than Crystal Stilts, this show totally missed it's mark! I love me some Janet Weiss, but Quasi were horrible. It was exciting to see Corin there though!

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2008 12:28 AM

I thought everybody was pretty good at Knit... Crystal Stilts had sound issues but perservered, but a newly trio'd Sic Alps (adding Ty Segall) was the highlight for me. Also, Jeff Lewis (seemingly no longer Jeffrey) was awesome. The other bands were less so to me but nobody was bad. Great night.

Posted by bill p | December 21, 2008 2:53 AM