Posted in music | tour dates on December 18, 2008

by Black Bubblegum

The English Beat
The English Beat

Yesterday we were talking about a reunion of The Specials, as part of their 30th anniversary. The band aren't touring in the US (so far), but another pair of 2 Tone bands are... The English Beat and Bad Manners. Tickets are on sale for a NYC show at Irving Plaza on Feb 6th, 2009... part of a larger late-January/early-February tour that will also take the band to The Crazy Donkey in Farmingdale on Feb 5th. And if you haven't planned your New Years Eve yet, The English Beat are also playing The Klein in Bridgeport, CT, on December 31, 2008 (tickets here).

For those of you who like your ska in heaping doses, The Knitting Factory has your fix with "3 Floors of Ska" on Dec 29th featuring Westbound Train, King Django, Hub City Stompers, Bluebeats, Royal City Riot, Bigger Thomas featuring Roy Radics, Void Union, Allstonians, The Attack & Skanotto. Tickets are also on sale.

All English Beat tour dates below...

The English Beat - "Save It For Later"

THE ENGLISH BEAT - 2008/09 TOUR DATES
February 3 2009 World Cafe Live, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania*
February 5 2009 The Crazy Donkey, Farmingdale, New York*
February 6 2009 The Fillmore at Irving Plaza, New York, New York*
February 7 2009 Stone Pony, Asbury, New Jersey*
March 21 2009 Private, Malibu, California
* w/ Bad Manners

dave wakeling minus ranking roger, andy cox, david steel, everett morton, and saxa is not the english beat. it's not even general public.

Posted by bill p | December 18, 2008 10:58 AM

Buster's coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 12:24 PM

buster's coming!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 2:00 PM

bill p,unless the musicians are extra ordinary,listening to a great lead singer,as Dave with a back up band thats just as good in a new millineum way,is phuking awesome,The best thing I can say to you,is Please stay at home as we dont want your miserable self at the show ruining it for someone else,so dont go to the shows and critic all you want.your lucky you can even still get a slice of the English Beat much less.

Posted by mark robinson | December 18, 2008 6:36 PM

I didn't say they weren't good... but if you're doing General Public songs as well (which they do) and the only original member of a six-piece band is one of the two singers, don't call it the beat. Paul Weller does "That's Entertainment" and other oldies but he doesn't bill himself as The Jam.

Posted by bill p | December 18, 2008 7:10 PM

it is no way the english beat.
I saw him a couple of years ago. The band sucks. The show sucked. He should be embarrassed.

Posted by strfkr | December 18, 2008 7:48 PM

Who gives a shit? They had like 2 hits. One of them being decent.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 8:10 PM

Dave wrote the majority of the songs during the beat and gpublic,so the man is entitled,dont forget they had special beat,international beat(i think it was everett and saxa) AND roger uses the name the beat(which is the original name) in the uk with HIS band,he uses the english known name and Dave uses the usa known name,and none of those beats had all or near to all original members I dont hear know one complaining.
You need to go to an english beat show NOW and not 2 years ago,trust me P your in for a surprise or go to you tube or the beats myspace page plus read some of the news/internet reviews.

Posted by mark robinson | December 23, 2008 1:52 AM

The English Beat is one thing. a great band That will always be a great band.

But the last 3-floors of "Skam" is another @ KF. Good Riddance to shady underhanded Disloyal Skam artists who set Back the NY Ska Scene as a whole. Such As the likes of King Django, Shay, Bucket Rob Hingley and there Jock Crony's.

in the end was all about Money Grubbing instead of supporting the movement that they Helped ruined such as Moon Ska Which morphed into megalith scam artist records now run by another shady ska infiltrator Rip-off Scam artist Name "Jeremy Patton" who should be put in jail for Embezzlement.

And Thats why the Original NYC Ska Scene want's Nothing to do with those Scam Artist Crooks and Bozo's At Megalith Rip-off records. GOOD RIDDANCE.

Posted by noah wildman | December 23, 2008 4:23 AM

Noah Wildman--- extremely wrong-headed and cowardly comment. How dare you call me a "shady, underhanded, disloyal Skam artist" etc? I can't speak for anyone else but I can state unequivocally that I have been none of these things. Ska and Reggae have been my life's work out of love for the music. Believe me, if my goal was to get rich I would have moved onto something more popular and lucrative long ago, as you seem to have. I have always been a very loyal friend and have continually helped, encouraged and instructed many younger bands and artists. I will let my music and my works speak for me. And who is this mysterious "Original NYC Ska Scene" of which you speak? Believe me, I was there LONG before you were, during the formation of the NY scene, and always was and still am a staunch supporter of this music.

Posted by KING DJANGO | December 26, 2008 4:03 PM

SKA WARS!

Posted by Anonymous | December 26, 2008 4:22 PM

more like DJANGO STRIKES BACK!

Posted by Anonymous | December 29, 2008 5:46 PM

RETURN OF DJANGO

Posted by Anonymous | December 30, 2008 11:11 AM

RETURN OF THE DJEDI

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2008 10:34 AM

UOooooooooWwwwW!--- it' looks More like DJANGO'S Cover has been Blown.and why is this justified complaint no surprise to anyone? Uuuummmm?? And if the Empire strikes back?, then Noah just struck back harder first. and don't call it a comeback! speaking about comebacks? Hey welcome back Noah How's it been buddy??

Posted by Anonymous | December 31, 2008 6:28 PM

this btw is not noah wildman.......

TC - you really should find something more constructive to do than troll round on the internet.

I agree with Django that I'd like to get some more information on what who the players in this "original" NYC ska scene might be. If you check the facts and contributions you will clearly see that Django and myself ARE the original NYC ska scene.

So I'd suggest rather than purely spouting dis-informational crap behind such a pathetic alias, that you involve yourself in something more positive such as building a record label, organizing as concert series, or merely supporting the scene.

Studying up on syntax, grammar and a thesaurus might also be a commendable New Year's resolution?

Thanks for starting out my year with a good laugh!!

All the best for 2009!!
buck

PS Dave Wakeling has a very good band at the moment. it's worth going to see just for Wayne on the bass alone

Posted by rob hingley | January 2, 2009 6:57 AM

Who would have thought the internet was such a great vehicle to anonymously spew personal points of view? I hope that trend doesnt catch on.

also, go check out the English Beat. Buck hit the nail on the head when he mentioned Waynes playing. Wayne and Rhythm (The beats drummer) are truly the nastiest rhythm section I've seen in a minute. Also awesome dudes.

TI-

Posted by Tommi Infamous | January 2, 2009 5:29 PM

The show at Irving Plaza was absolutely amazing! If you're in NJ and can get to Asbury Park to see them tonight (Saturday), GO! The English Beat were terrific, even though they had very little of their original (70s) line-up. They were full of energy and did LOTS of stuff from their 1st album (but unfortunately little from their 2nd). Still, aside from a couple General Public songs (yuk!) and "Save It For Later" - a song that I somehow find very annoying - it was brilliant! But the REAL treat was Bad Manners; although I mainly came to see the English Beat, and I don't know all that much of Bad Manners . . . they totally blew the roof off the place. And I have to admit, as much as I loved the EB, Bad Manners was definitely the highlight of the evening. You simply could not resist stomping & dancing. I wish I could give a setlist, but all I know for sure is they did This Is Ska, My Girl Lollipop, and a number of great covers including Red River, Can Can, Can't Take My Eyes off of You. Awesome!

Posted by JBNYC | February 7, 2009 2:18 AM

no one believes you.

Posted by Anonymous | February 7, 2009 4:44 AM

JBNYC - I was there last night...
I got half of the EB set list so I can give you what I have.

Whine n Grine
I Confess
Hands Off
Best Friend
Ackee 1-2-3
Doors of Your Heart
Tears of a Clown
Twist n Crawl
Can't Get Used to Losing You
Rough Rider
2 Swords
Take U There

those are the songs on the half of the paper I got.
[a friend of mine has the bottom half]

I agree with you about Bad Manners.
I haven't really heard much of them, but they were AMAZING. I've never ever seen a crowd react that much to an opening band. It was phenomenal. Personally I went there for Big D and the Kids Table and The Beat. But Bad Manners where possibly better than The Beat. Big D however were a bit of a dissapointment to me. They played all the songs I wanted them to, but something about them didn't really engage me in the music. I loved how Dave came off the stage when they ended and meeted people up in the front, I think more bands should do that. It was a treat.
I think the only major dissapointments for me were that 1. They had a guard rail so photographers could take obnoxious amounts of pictures and get in my way. (When I saw Killing Joke there, there was no rail and it was probably the best concert experience ever.) and 2. When The Beat came on it became so damn cramped up in the front I barely had any room to skank. Haha. Overall it was a pretty damn good concert.
=)

Posted by Jp | February 7, 2009 6:14 PM

Thanks, Jp! Wow, I bet Killing Joke were awesome - never seen them; last time I was there was for a Gang of 4 reunion a few years ago which was great! I missed Big D; only decided for sure to go to the show at about 7:00 (glad I did)! And it was definitely a little TOO crowded for the Beat.

I think you got WAY more than "half" the Beat setlist, but here are a few more (not nec. in order):

Tenderness (GP)
and I think they did Sole Survivor

encores:
Click Click
Mirror in the Bathroom
Save It For Later
and (I think) some General Public song

I cannot believe they didn't do more from Wh'appen, which I think is just as good as their first album!

Posted by JBNYC | February 8, 2009 1:59 PM

Ha ha, Noah Wildman calling someone else a con artist - hilarious. Rob was a poor businessman but at least he wasn't a petit thief!

Posted by The Shadow | June 2, 2009 2:50 AM