Posted in music | tour dates on December 2, 2008

The Pretenders @ Highline Ballroom (more by Dese'Rae L. Stage)
The Pretenders

The Pretenders announced a tour through North American starting January 29 at the Palace Theatre in Albany, NY with the final show taking place on March 14 in Reno, Nevada. The tour is the band's first extensive headlining tour since 2003.

The Pretenders touring line up of Chrissie Hynde Martin Chambers, James Walbourne, Eric Heywood, and Nick Wilkinson is touring in support of the band's ninth album, Break Up The Concrete, which was released through Shangri-La Music in October of 2008. The album, which Rolling Stone lauded as, "The best Pretenders album in years," was recorded in 12 days in Los Angeles and offers an especially gritty and immediate and recalls the band's earlier days. The album has spawned the single "Boots Of Chinese Plastic" which reached #1 on the AAA radio chart.

Their last NYC show was at Highline Ballroom around the time of the release of the new album. Their next is January 30th at the bigger Roseland Ballroom. Tickets should be on sale soon. All dates and the video for their new single, below...

Pretenders - Boots Of Chinese Plastic

March 10 Los Angeles, CA The Wiltern
March 13 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
March 14 Reno, NV Silver Legacy Casino

Who's opening?

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2008 5:13 PM

the Ameristar???

I had brunch there about 6 years ago. Kinda bland, but a good value. Helped with the hangover, anyway.

Posted by i want my daddy's records | December 2, 2008 5:42 PM

Chrissie = still hawt

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2008 6:39 PM

I LOVE THIS BAND!1 IM SO HAPPY THEY ARE TOURING!!

Posted by CHEROKEECHICK | December 3, 2008 2:32 PM

See her now, for she is 57 and will not do this forever! Long live Chrissie!! One of a kind.

Posted by Anonymous | December 3, 2008 3:48 PM

Wow... Just got back from the Albany show and had a great time. Band was fantastic and Chrissie was just perfect...Imean she looks fantastic...her voice was flawless, powerful and beautiful...her persona was great, laughing, joking with the band and audience... and the new songs were, I think, way better than some of the ones we all know and love...I say SOME... because, wow...the last half hour really rocked. The set list was similar to the one I saw posted here somewhere from the Highlife show but with more surprises! Enjoy!

Posted by pescolini | January 30, 2009 12:19 AM

Just saw the MOST fantastic concert in Albany tonight!
Pretenders did a wonderful mix of new and old favorite tunes!! Three encores and Chrissie's voice is EXACTLY like it was in the 80's. Intact, Sassy and Clear.
This is a GREAT BAND with incredible showmanship,energy and talent! ALL loved them! Spot On with the oldies and nearly brought the house down!!!

GET TO THE CONCERT IN YOUR TOWN OR NEARBY! You will not be disappointed!!

They STILL have it and I'm getting the new stuff!

Posted by Rose | January 30, 2009 12:22 AM

Where is the set list Pescolini?? I was there and I remember most of the songs they played but I was interested in the actual set list.

Posted by Donna LaForest | January 30, 2009 9:18 AM

I can't wait to see them at Roseland tonight! From what I've heard they're doing about 1/2 stuff from Breakup the Concrete (which I like) & then an assortment of oldies. I REALLY hope they do a couple from their 1st . . . esp. Tatooed LB and/or The Wait!

Posted by JBNYC | January 30, 2009 2:59 PM

JBNYC>>>They did both last night!!! ... and LaForest... the Highlife setlist is below all the photos in the Highlife link which is just above these posts and the utube vid.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 3:57 PM

Awesome! Thanks.

Posted by JBNYC | January 30, 2009 4:17 PM

Roseland was a great show! They did most of my favorites, including The Wait, Tatooed LB, Precious, Concrete and Thumbelina. I even have to admit Brass in Pocket sounded really good. I won't try to do a complete setlist but here are SOME of the songs they did (probably a little out of order and definitely missing a few of the new ones and perhaps an old one). . .

Boots of Chinese Plastic

Break Up the Concrete
-----------
Precious
The Wait
Kid
Up the Neck

It would be great if someone could post a correct & complete setlist!

Posted by JBNYC | January 31, 2009 4:46 PM

Pretenders, great show!! Chrissie has such a Beautiful voice! very chatty and charismatic onstage as well. played some killer guitar too. new songs in addition to the above list incl:

Don't Cut Your Hair
The Long Ride
Love's a Mystery

Long Ride had a nice mandolin intro (which isn't on the new LP) and great rocking ending.

Perfect set list (22 songs in all). John Mcanroe play guitar on Precious.

High energy from start too finish. I actually wuold have preferred some more of the new songs, esp. the ballads. they're that good.

she looked great! still has her girlish figure!

Posted by Jim | January 31, 2009 5:07 PM

Thanks for the addition, Jim . . . also I forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure they did Day After Day from the 2nd album, as well as Tequila. Also, when she announced "Johnny Mac" I had no idea it was McEnroe! I didn't even realize he played guitar, but he was pretty good!!

Posted by JBNYC | January 31, 2009 5:22 PM

yes JB, Day After Day and Tequila were also in the set. very satisfying. she really knows how to please a crowd, unlike quite a few shows i've seen in the past couple of years. the band was smoking hot and i would have also like to hear an extended jam on, say, Break Up the Concrete which is a great show closer. but considering she played 4 encores not really needed.

yeah Mac was decent, not sure of his connection to CH, maybe they knew each other way back when.

wasn't crazy about the opening act, American Bang. they didn't suck, but would have like to see something a bit more edgy, maybe a proper punk band. AB was sort of a Lynyrd Skynyrd mutation. not exactly my cup of tea.

Posted by Jim | January 31, 2009 7:08 PM

what time did they go on?

Posted by Chris | February 1, 2009 11:50 PM

There's a review of the Boston show from Wednesday at the Standard Time web site:

Posted by Jeff Remz | February 5, 2009 10:45 PM

Chrissie, I was asleep at the wheel didn't know you were out touring again. Kids, career and life seem to take center stage. I hope you swing back through the NYC/CT area again. For the record, you knocked my socks off when I saw you in the mid/late seventies at the Palladium in NYC (77)? Again in 2001 at the Beacon Theater in NYC, again when you opened for the Who in Bridegport, CT. And one of my luckiest moments; traveling for business in Chicago during October 2006/2007 and caught your closing date at some small theater venue in the Windy City. Bought a GA ticket 40 minutes before the show and stood front row (unfortuately I was next to a babbling psycho who threw a notebook on stage). As always I was wowed by you. Thanks for the Pretenders. I hope to buy you a cup of Joe in Akron.

Posted by Dave | February 28, 2009 10:12 AM

Great show last night in Anaheim -- it's amazing how pure and beautiful her voice still is at 57! Here's a review that has lots of photos and a link to a set list:

Posted by Pedro | March 9, 2009 2:37 PM

are animal collective fans and tim and eric fans the same people?

Posted by شات كتابي | October 27, 2010 4:39 AM