Posted in music | pictures on December 17, 2008

photos by Natasha Ryan

Walkman/Dodo

Walt Martin of The Walkmen's Top 10 of 2008
1. Thee Oh Sees, The Master Bedroom is Worth Spending a Night In (astleface/Tomlab)
2. Thee Oh Sees, The Hounds of Foggy Notion (Castleface/Tomlab)
3. Thee Oh Sees, Thee Oh Sees/The Intelligence Split EP (Mt. St. Mtn.)
4. Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes (Sub Pop)
5. The Howling Hex, Earthjunk (Drag City)
6. Bonnie "Prince" Billie, Lie Down in The Light (Drag City)
7. Beach House, Devotion (Carpark)
8. The Breeders, Mountain Battles (4AD)
9. Dirty Dancing Soundtrack (20th Anniversary Edition) (RCA)
10. Animal House Soundtrack (30th Anniversary Edition) (MCA)
(that list via Filter)
The Walkmen and The Dodos shared a bill at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple last night in NYC (12/16). More pictures from the show below...

The Dodos...

The Walkmen...

The Walkmen & Beach House - 2009 Tour Dates
1/19: Belly up, San Diego
1/20: Henry Fonda Theater, Los Angeles
1/21: Fillmore, San Francisco
1/23: Wonder Ballroom, Portland
1/24: Neumos, Seattle

FINALLY!! THEE OH SEES! gettin some love.

Posted by sloweducation | December 17, 2008 2:57 PM

Setlist anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 2:59 PM

the boost mobile band looks like they rock. .. and for only 10 cents a minute!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:01 PM

Wow this looks like it was a lot of fun. Wish it wasn't the same day as Neil and Wilco or I would have been there.

Posted by Robbie | December 17, 2008 3:12 PM

really crazy that both band names are Boost Mobile. what are the chances?!?!

Posted by jan janson | December 17, 2008 3:26 PM

Was it packed? Could not believe how little c'list action there was.

Posted by Tito | December 17, 2008 3:28 PM

it was fun, both bands played and sounded great, and the walkmen in particular looked like they were having fun onstage.... definitely one of the better show experiences in recent years for me.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:28 PM

"the boost mobile band looks like they rock. .. and for only 10 cents a minute!"

"really crazy that both band names are Boost Mobile. what are the chances?!?!"

Yep, thanks JellyNYC for the subtle advertising!!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:31 PM

not hearing "men" on the dodo's setlist was sorely missed!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:43 PM

What was up with that guy who wouldnt actually put the wristband on for you. Thanks a lot. Took me like so long to figure how they actually work...Its tough being a girl sometimes

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 3:52 PM

The Dodos are boring. Doors were SAID to be 730, but I got there a little after 9 and they were apparently just getting started, which was really annoying. Walkmen went on at 1025 and played a little more then an hour.

I don't know, the people working there were pretty lame. I was able to walk in w/o anyone checking my ticket and only got a wristband later, when I went out of my way to approach where the staff was sitting. Lines for coats were prohibitive even by Webster Hall standards. Luckily, I just rested my coat by my seat.

As for the show, I can't say a single bad thing. These guys are wonderful. Every song was great, including the impromptu "White Christmas." They're up there w/The National as the best NYC bar band. SEE THEM.

Posted by Red Moon | December 17, 2008 4:20 PM

I know The Dodos have been known to play a secret show or two... any idea if something's going on tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:43 PM

it was sold out and not selling tickets, your money was already taken, i bet your coat is rally f-ing cool

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 4:52 PM

Do Dodos just never play 'Ashley' or 'Winter'? I've seen the three times and never heard either...

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 5:05 PM

i've seen them play ashley twice (i think) but not winter.

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 5:21 PM

about the secret show: they aren't playing one. i spoke with joe after their set & asked, he said that they were flying back home today & he was going to spend a week in bed. which is understandable given they've been on tour since july or so. we will just have to wait till next year!

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 6:09 PM

they apparently played winter at the mercury show:

Posted by Anonymous | December 17, 2008 6:11 PM

Can I stress how awesome these bands were?

For all of the wait, I was thoroughly impressed. I can't stress how pissed off I was waiting in the snow.

I liked the Brooklyn Masonic Temple too; it was like a converted gym and added these bizarre romantic feel to the set. But that's just me.

More people should give The Walkmen love. Either that or Leithauser will step on you.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 8:06 AM

May not be correct order??

Playa
Long Time Ahead of Us
On The Water
-------------
White Christmas
Another One Goes By

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 8:28 AM

how the eff did i miss this show? i never even heard anything about it... would have loved to of gone.

anyone catch the dodos at the cake shop a while back? that was a good one.

Posted by jack | December 18, 2008 9:21 AM

Thanks 8:28

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 9:32 AM

that cake shop show was amazing. don't feel too bad about missing out on this one - it was good, but certainly not as good as cake shop. or even spegieltent. the sound was a little weak, the set was short, and not enough off Beware of the Maniacs was played.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 10:06 AM

Two really amazing performances by two bands who had two of the best records of the year. Those of you who slept on this show missed a great one. The Walkmen have taken their game to the next level and flat out killed it. The Dodos were great and are one or two records away from away from being one of the best bands around too. Both bands live show are certainly on par with the best out there.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 10:40 AM

The Walkmen killed it. I though their lat two records were just okay. The new one is excellent and their live show, or at least on this night, felt as good as any I have seen all yeay. I had never seen them before. I thought they were so serious, but it looked like they were having some fun whilst rocking our **** off. The horns were a nice touch at the end. I was hoping to actually see some masons there though. No luck. What do they look like?

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 10:55 AM

I'm getting old.

Posted by Anonymous | December 18, 2008 2:41 PM

second on the horns.... they came out for every other song and sounded great. "you & me" gets better every listen. i wanted to see them live agai as soon as the set was over.

Posted by Anonymous | December 19, 2008 3:00 PM

I was the lighting person for this one event at the Masonic Temple. These pictures are great! Thanks for posting some photos of the bands, I had a lot of fun lighting them with roughly $700 worth of lights. Cheers.

Posted by John MItchell | December 21, 2008 10:00 AM

nice.... five days later and this show still stays with me.... i need to start going to more shows again....

Posted by Anonymous | December 21, 2008 11:02 AM