Posted in music on January 29, 2009

AB @ Carnegie Hall - Jan 28, 2009 (pic by Slopey Seconds)
AB @ Carnegie hall

Andrew Bird and Dosh played Carnegie Hall in NYC last night (1/28). Anonymous | January 29, 2009 1:07 PM said the show was "AMAZING".

Unlike two nights earlier at Music Hall of Williamsburg, the show was fancy, seated, we didn't get pictures, and Andrew did play a second encore.

Andrew's tour continues Friday night in Boston with Loney Dear. One day later they have a day off and Loney Dear heads to NYC without Andrew to play shows at Sound Fix and Union Hall.

The whole Carnegie Hall setlist below...

Andrew Bird Carnegie Hall setlist (via)
instrumental Intro

Dosh played: (via)
-Simple Exercises
-Don't Wait for the Needle to Drop
-Steve the Cat,
-If You Want To,You Have To,
-The Magic Stick(?)
-Um, Circles and Squares.

This was one of the best sounding shows, obviously it as Carnegie Hall, I've been to. The music, as Andrew mentioned they were aspiring to, almost seemed to be made for the venue. Literally, it seemed like I was wearing headphones the whole time. Truly superb.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 2:39 PM

yeah it was an incredible sounding show. the whole place rang with every note - they said they did special work "tuning" to the venue - and it certainly showed they knew what they were doing.

his solo shit was insane. a gripping show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 2:52 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 2:56 PM

Agreed. Everything from sound to performance was incredible, and I'm not the biggest Andrew Bird fan.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 2:57 PM

This is the fourth Andrew Bird show I've seen in about a year. He is always outstanding, but this show was beyond anything I've ever seen.

He is so gracious and humble. Truly plays from his heart.

What a great show in a wonderful venue!

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 3:31 PM

"I noticed three microphones suspended from the ceiling. Was this special for this show, or something typical of all CH events?"

maybe he recorded this show for a live album?

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 3:31 PM

i've seen those microphones hung their before....GREAT show last night.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 3:48 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 3:51 PM

Does he still whistle?

Posted by Lori | January 29, 2009 4:07 PM

um, WITH Penn Badgley. they were the HOTNESS.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 4:22 PM

I prefered the sound at Stubbs during SXSW. Last night you could hear Dosh's drums a little too well. The symbols had a pots and pans kind of sound.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 4:31 PM

modeselektor was better

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 4:34 PM

He was amazing.

Great personal touch? No shoes.

Heck yeah.

I love that he always performs "Why?" so... separately. Like it's a different show.

Posted by Jiordan | January 29, 2009 5:02 PM

The mics are part of the permanent set up at CH.

Knocked my socks off. What a great show. And he's fun.....

Posted by clairepetrol | January 29, 2009 5:17 PM

AB was great--even gave a shout out to his mom & dad who were in the audience--though I was hoping a few more songs from previous albums. Dosh was amazing as the opener. Martin Dosh is a genius. Anyone know if his (instrumental) version of Simple Exercises is available anywhere?

Posted by jay | January 29, 2009 5:19 PM

Didnt try it, but is this the Dosh song?

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 5:24 PM

"I saw Blake Lively sitting 2 rows in front of me and couldn't help but stare at her the whole show."

where was she sitting approx?

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 5:25 PM

jay,

it's on the Pure Trash LP.

Posted by dan | January 29, 2009 5:32 PM

Amazing? genius ? - the show was boring , the hall is way to big for him and I do not think that sound was so great . the Bass was to much for that place. I like him and he is cute and everything , but to many "shticks" and not enough substance.
And the opening - if this is amazing or genius - what is real good music then? -

Posted by Kazabooboo | January 29, 2009 5:39 PM

Love the show!!! But i can't believe i'm the first one to mention that he played way to many new songs... that was a disappointment, considering not every new song is that good.

Still excellent show over all.

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 7:38 PM

Does anyone know of a live recording of that show? the acoustics were so wonderful and I'm really hoping to find one to download.

I also agree that Andrew Bird does not NEED to play a second encore.

Posted by Ora | January 29, 2009 8:52 PM

anyone goe to MHOW show and Carnegie Hall? Which did you like better?

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 10:16 PM

5:02 he needs to play in his socks so he can hit the pedals with his toes

Posted by Anonymous | January 29, 2009 11:17 PM

was at both shows, and i definitely think MHOW sounded better than Carnegie...just too big for him and agree that the bass was way to high in the mix, and then about halfway through it disappeared. oh well, still was a good show and could tell it meant a lot to him. was a nice evening. and why should he play older songs? any artist that releases a new album, tours in support of that album, even john darnielle did it for heretic pride, and that shit was lackluster compared to his insanely huge discography...i digress...

Posted by sloweducation | January 29, 2009 11:48 PM

I was also at both, though I disagree. I found that the sound in Carnegie Hall was infinitely better that that of Williamsburg. I appreciated MHoW for the cozy atmosphere but overall Bird played a better show at Carnegie.
Any thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 12:30 AM

Kazabooboo = stick in butt

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 1:01 AM

I went to both shows and I thought the sound was good at both shows but much better at Carnegie(it sounded really clear from my DC ctr seat). AB seemed more personable and his banter was better at CH. AB performed both shows with great energy but I did like MHOW's more intimate setting. Also, the stage set-up looked alot more impressive at MHOW.

It's only appropriate that AB plays new songs in support of Noble Beast(but he DOES throw a few old faves into the mix also). (p.s: MHOW vids there↓)

Posted by Laura | January 30, 2009 5:54 AM

I'm pretty sure those mics are a permanent feature at the venue. I did, however, get a grainy recording on my iphone if you're interested. I set up a drop. Link is in this post: http://slopeyseconds.blogspot.com/2009/02/andrew-bird-carnegie-hall-cond.html

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2009 11:23 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 24, 2011 5:37 AM

guys only like the yyy's cover cause pitchfork has been slobbering over it. It's the only reason the album received an 8.

Posted by سعودي كام | February 25, 2011 10:00 AM