Posted in music | pictures on January 20, 2009

photos by Jonny Leather

Department of Eagles

Department of Eagles and Here We Go Magic played Bowery Ballroom in NYC on Monday night (1/19). More pictures from the show below...

Here We Go Magic...

Department of Eagles...

Department of Eagles

Many more Here We Go Magic dates, HERE.

lolwut

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 5:52 PM

Here We Go Magic we're fucking incredible. The big highlight of my night.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 5:54 PM

Extremely oversold show. Fuck Bowery. How much extra money are you guys making by overselling the place with $15 tickets? Why not increase the price a few bucks instead of turning one of the best venues of its kind in the city to a clusterfuck. Or stop putting everyone remotely related to the music industry on your guest lists. Most of them are there to chitchat and to be able to say they were there anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 6:06 PM

average show. i missed the opener, but it was very crowded. the above comment about the oversold is very true. how many people can make it to a show that starts at 1030 on a monday night? i guess the answer is, a lot. they sounded great live, but i guess i wasn't in the mood to listen to kinda boring, chill music.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 6:10 PM

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmit.
where the hell was I?! I freaking lurve Department of Eagles.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 6:11 PM

show was fucking sick. As far as overcrowding goes, I was up front and there was way to much room for being so close to the stage so idk.. anyone know the name of the solo song fred played at the end of the set?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 7:03 PM

Awesome set. Attractive crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 7:16 PM

sweet review? dunno bout that...
2 first sentences were enough turn off to even
not continue reading more.
what is this? junior high diary?

Posted by anon | January 20, 2009 7:20 PM

this is getting my early vote for stereogum best of 09.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 7:44 PM

People still use livejournal?

I like DoE but seeing them live once at Bell House was enough for me.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 7:46 PM

there were people sitting onstage off to the left side. they weren't members of team b or a hawk and a hacksaw, were they?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 7:49 PM

I made that livejournal post for fun and for my friends to express how genuinely delighted I felt after the show, and I'm sorry for not being all calm and composed, but I didn't think people other than my friends would be judging me, you know? So I'm actually kind of embarrassed and would greatly appreciate it if the link to my livejournal were removed. (Because yes, anon 7:20, it is essentially a junior high diary.)

I'm really sorry if this is a bitchfit move, but I hope you understand.

Posted by elrondio | January 20, 2009 8:00 PM

are you in junior high? are you cute? will you go to prom with me? you sound adorable. :)

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 8:02 PM

I am actually in my first year of college, but I've just used my livejournal since 7th grade to have fun and be enthusiastic and keep in touch with my friends.

Posted by elrondio | January 20, 2009 8:08 PM

I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea to post this review in such a public forum. Hope it gets removed soon per the request before the the BV internet wolves really start ripping into it (I'll admit that I am really tempted to do it myself, but I will resist).

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 8:18 PM

was most of the album played? any covers? setlist would be awesome if anyone can provide one

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 9:30 PM

WHAT DID DOE PLAY!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
tell me they oepened with Balmy Night

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 9:33 PM

BV if you don't want to write your own posts that's fine but you don't copy and paste some poor girl's livejournal entry for all your readers to ridicule!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 10:04 PM

as requested, removed.

Posted by brooklynvegan | January 20, 2009 10:54 PM

Did they sell more tickets at the door last night?

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2009 11:38 PM

gay gay gay
this band is gay
in every way
especially the literal way
go the way of the gay
get butt banged each day
tell him to stop, but hey!
he is to busy being gay

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 12:03 AM

Flash in the Pan(s)

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 12:28 AM

the above two comments are ridiculous

but
(and I loved the show)

here we go magic>>>>>>>>dept of eagles

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 2:25 AM

shit! why dont they come over and play a show in berlin for chrisssake!?

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 4:49 AM

who would say something as crude as "there I am being a retard."
What's with using a slur to make yourself look cool.
I didn't realize the twelve year old boys in middle school read this blog and are allowed into clubs.
No reason to mock people with special needs by using the word retard.

Posted by mary | January 21, 2009 7:52 AM

Anon 12:03- Grizzly Bear's the one with the gay member. And you're an unfunny homophobic douchebag. Cheers!

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 10:43 AM

here we go magic stole the show! such an amazing band!!!

Posted by matt | January 21, 2009 11:53 AM

Setlist, please?

I love DoE (I think Daniel Rosen is genius), but is it just me or was the setlist lacking something?

I also thought Here We Go Magic were pretty damn good. Especially that one mostly instrumental song near/at the end.

Posted by Cuse | January 21, 2009 11:21 PM

So if you think the opener was better than the headliner, you're cool - I get it.

Here we go magic was a fine band, but about 3 of the songs were decent, including the opener. All 3 rolled into 1 were much less interesting than any of the DOE songs. Besides Teenagers, which thankfully Fred said he didn't feel like playing.

I thought the show rocked, or the close your eyes chill equivalent of rocked.

Posted by Anonymous | January 22, 2009 3:13 PM