Posted in music | pictures on January 7, 2009

photos by Ryan Muir

my eyes!
Glasvegas

Glasvegas, the hyped-up Scottish band who already have a larger Webster Hall show scheduled, headlined the smaller Bowery Ballroom in NYC last night (1/6). It was the first time I saw them after missing their previous NY shows at Radio City and Mercury Lounge.

I left the Bowery show about as neutral as I was going in. The Glasvegas album doesn't get me as excited as NME, bit it doesn't offend me either. The live show wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Actually, I decided I wasn't sure if they were really playing live. At times I was convinced they were just moving around a lot (the guitarist & bassist mainly), on a dark stage full of flashing and blinding lights (seriously, those lights were made for a stadium or something), to distract everyone from the fact that they weren't actually playing their instruments, but then I decided I'm probably just paranoid. Maybe there was a backing track. Either way, I liked the set better as it went on - after I stopped worrying so much about what they were doing, and when I heard the few songs I like the most. Maybe the band loosened up a bit towards the end too....

They could have played longer, but I wasn't sad they didn't. They went on (in total darkness and with intro music) around 10:40, played 10 songs, and no encore.

After the show one person said they liked them better live. Another said they liked them better on album. A third I talked to went in knowing nothing, and left a fan. "Anonymous | January 7, 2009 1:07 AM" "thought the show was very dull".

Angela McCluskey opened. I missed the beginning of her set, but what I heard was okay - I wish she had better songs to showcase her amazing voice. More pictures and the setlist, below...

Angela McCluskey...

Glasvegas...

Glasvegas

gosh I have to say Ryan, what an absolutly lacklustre piece of writing , even if you didn't like the shows, It felt like you would rather be home watching Top chef, I know your entitled to your opinion but what a terribly dull piece of prose you put together for tonights show, I think GLASVEGAS blew the roof off and personally I think the audience were like a giant wet blanket, both bands put on a great show and as I said before your entitled to your opinion but I think my songs are wonderful to showcase my voice, have a drink next time and get in the mood, you sounded like you were dragged there.
next time BROOKLYN VEGAN send someone who likes music....
I'm a fan of BV and normally they always have something positive to say, looks like you were to bust taking photos to watch the show.
angela

Posted by angela mccluskey | January 7, 2009 5:22 AM

oh shi-

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 6:12 AM

Those giant tooth brush lights that kept blinding the audience reminded me of the final scene from Raiders of The Lost Ark. You know, when the bright lights and ghost come flying out of the Ark and melt all the Nazi faces off. That was what happened last night to fans of Glasvegas,

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 7:04 AM

wasnt at the show, nor do I have any sort of opinion on glasvegas, but yeah, lackluster piece of prose for sure. re-cap written by a third grader.

Posted by mcg | January 7, 2009 7:28 AM

10 songs for a headliner is weak even if you only have 1 album!Unless all your songs are 7 minutes plus!?

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 8:04 AM

The photos look great Ryan. Too bad the people above can't read. "PHOTOS by Ryan Muir." He didn't write this.

I find that Glasvegas have been steadily growing on me since I saw them at Mercury Lounge a few months ago. I saw their in store at Virgin the night before last, and it made me regret not getting a ticket for last night's show. I sort of know exactly what the review is saying, it's kind of hard to form a strong opinion about them... until "Geraldine" gets stuck in your head on repeat.

Posted by gabi porter | January 7, 2009 8:17 AM

sometimes i worry that i am becoming too ambivalent . . . but then i get second thoughts

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 8:39 AM

Music Snobbery thinks this was/is going to be the best show of 2009.

Then again, he is a blur fan.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:09 AM

Anyone know if he made the band cookies?

"Music Snobbery thinks this was/is going to be the best show of 2009.

Then again, he is a blur fan."

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:19 AM

I would so hit the girl in the opening band!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:20 AM

Kasabian >>> Glasvegas

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:20 AM

this band is just a whinier, worse version of The Twilight Sad.

Posted by jason | January 7, 2009 9:20 AM

While the piece written above may not be up to journalistic standards, I can't say I disagree with the content. But seriously, those lights were a disaster. The crowd was a wet blanket because they were fucking blind.

And this band should get better live as time goes on...

Posted by CN | January 7, 2009 9:21 AM

Bon Jovi

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:22 AM

I thought the sing alongs to Go Square Go and Daddy's Gone were a nice touch..What did you want the crowd to do; start a mosh pit? This ain't JAMC circa 1985.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:25 AM

Ryan - Spot on review in every way.

Saw both acts last night. My first time hearing and seeing both bands. The show was like "eh"

Angela Mccluskey gets the Gasface.

Posted by Big Perm | January 7, 2009 9:26 AM

Yeah...this band has huge ego. I saw them at Mercury Lounge too and both times they played for about 40 minutes. No encores. They have enough songs between their debut and Christmas EP to play for a full hour. Lame set and those flood lights? What the fuck are they thinking? That was just PAINFUL!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:29 AM

I saw them in Boston the other night and I've already forgotten about it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:41 AM

They have some good singles (Daddy's Gone, Geraldine, It's My Own Cheating Heart) but they really need to work on their live performances. Only playing 40 minutes of music is a complete rip off. Blinding your fans with ultra bright flood lights is not cool.

I agree that Kasabian kicks this bands' ass.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:52 AM

I'd like to see Glasvegas, Kasabian and Oasis all tour together. Glasvegas is perfect for opening for Kasabian. Once the Scots get off, the rock fest can begin.

Download Kasabian's new single "Fast Fuse". Now that is a proper rock tune.

See you all at Morrissey!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:58 AM

Not for Nothing but those who trashed the show make it seem as if they paid $100 for these tickets. You paid $18 and you know you got your monies worth, what did you think you were going to get? A 2 hour spectical?!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 9:59 AM

i really hoped that show would be better but those stadium lights, the three guitar players all trying to look like joe strummer, and zero charisma made me lose interest really fast. but mostly it was the lights that ruined the show.. did they think the bowery ballroom was a huge venue?

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:00 AM

I think this review (like most of BV's writing) is what I want from a blog's coverage.

A lot of information, a little opinion and simple/straightforward prose.

Also, for what it's worth, he's totally spot on--this show was totally average and had a few mid-sized problems.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:00 AM

GLASVEGAS SUCKS

Posted by moe jullen | January 7, 2009 10:00 AM

the review is about as ambivalent as you can get, because BV (the author, y'all), doesn't really like glasvegas. and i think we can all agree on that.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:09 AM

Shit damn near broke my retina too.

Posted by Big Perm | January 7, 2009 10:13 AM

Judging by al the haters on this board, Glasvegas are gonna be HUGE!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:22 AM

Agreed, not the most eloquent or expressive review, but with regards to Glasvegas, it's not too far off the mark. I thought they'd improved since their Mercury Lounge gig, sounded tighter - or maybe i'd just had less to drink - but their stage performance still isn't all that inspiring - forced, in fact. The lights... just wrong. As for Angela McCluskey, i think you missed the mark big time. She's a tremendous talent - wished she'd stayed on stage longer.

Posted by suesol | January 7, 2009 10:29 AM

Nice to see the Glasholes ripping everybody off with a crummy 10 song set and blinding lights to hide the fact that they are playing Britney-like to backing tapes. This is the most overrated band to come out of the hype-crazy UK since the last one (errrr The Arctic Monkeys). 40 minutes no encores: who do these fucks think they are?

Posted by Shitey Glasholes | January 7, 2009 10:32 AM

glasvegas s terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:35 AM

Ryan is pissed because:
1- He was expecting Oasis.
2- He loves Oasis.
3- He thinks Oasis are the greatest.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:35 AM

These guys should spend a little less time trying to look cool. They should also get a new drummer. Oh yeah, they should increase their lighting budget too.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:48 AM

there was no backing tape. idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:49 AM

Any band said to be all that should at least use a hi-hat.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:52 AM

To the first commenter (and opening act) - sorry, but your genuinely fine voice was backed by a generic-sounding band and horrendous songs. It's not a good sign when you have to cajole and curse at the crowd for applause.

Glasvegas was decent. Sound was drenched in reverb, the bassist has fantastic footwork and the drummer looked like she was playing whack-a-mole with the utmost concentration.

I've never been at a show that attempted to both deafen and blind its audience simultaneously.

Posted by Dave | January 7, 2009 10:58 AM

though I agree they might be playing with a backing track, the ones bitching about the lenght of the show are probably the same who think the longer the show is, the better it is (probably Mars Volta fans).
40mns is common for bands with only one album. Remember Arcade Fire first shows?
Anyway, it's pretty sad when you come to judge a concert on the per minute price you paid for it.
One of my favorite shows ever only lasted 20mns. It was Black Dice, and it was intense...

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 10:59 AM

Coldplay plays with a backing track..Doves play with a backing track..Oasis play with a backing track..

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:02 AM

The writing here is a hell of a lot more lucid and tolerable than the shite Glasvegas think can pass for lyrics.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:02 AM

subpar set. the joe strummer lookalike singer def has presence and a great voice but both were drowned out by the muddy sound (where are the BIG guitars from the record?!)and the annoying lights (save'em for MSG if you ever make it there)

Posted by pdiddy | January 7, 2009 11:03 AM

I love Dave's 10:58am post. The whack-a-mole comment is fantastic. And that is something I forgot to comment on previously. What in the world is the deal with that drummer? I would like to hear what they sound like with a proper drummer and drumkit.

Posted by CN | January 7, 2009 11:16 AM

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:23 AM

Glasvegas > Dirty Projectors > Music Snob

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:34 AM

IT MEANS HE GETS RESULTS YOU STUPID CHIEF!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:41 AM

Wait..how could you see Angela if you were blinded?

"Hey Angela, I swear that every time I glanced up at you sitting at your VIP table in the balcony, you looked just as bored as the rest of the blinded crowd!"

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:48 AM

So did anyone actually like this show besides Music Slob?

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 11:54 AM

wait, is music snobbery the guy with the slouched shoulders and john cusack mask?

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 12:01 PM

Someone ate all the haggis.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 12:18 PM

"I would like to hear what they sound like with a proper drummer and drumkit."

You would not know the difference. Mo Tucker wasn't very good, and I don't think that The Velvet Underground suffered from it...

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 12:27 PM

Mo Tucker is John Bonham next to the thing that "drums" from the Glasholes. And if you can't at least muster up an hour onstage as a headlining act, you don't belong up there. Don't worry, by this time next year fat Scatlin Joe Strummer wannbe and fat Mo Tucker wannabe will be back in the dole queue in Glasgow and the UK will be sending over some other hype jobs in their place for all the trendies in Williamsburg.

Posted by Shitey Glashole | January 7, 2009 12:56 PM

Eh...the record is pretty good. The live show....not so good. Cool jackets, though!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 1:08 PM

Never mind Mo Tucker. The real question is: is the thing that drums for the Glasholes a better drummer than Bobby Gillespie (the "drummer" for the original JAMC)?

Posted by Shitey Glashole | January 7, 2009 1:09 PM

i would just like to say (if it really is you angela) that i think you have an amazing voice and your music was fab. sucks that you had this experience in new york, how embarrassing on our behalf. i am truly ashamed by this horribly offensive piece of writing. I thought Glasvegas were amazing live, very true to their studio sound.
Note to the writer: Seriously...why bother attending and/or writing about it if you didn't care?

Posted by someone who actually likes music | January 7, 2009 1:33 PM

@ 1:33 - You are no good. No good at all...FOOL!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 1:37 PM

one more thing...

what did you people expect, choreography? if you heard the record and lyrical content? they sound great live, isn't that what music and performing live is about?

Posted by someone who actually likes music | January 7, 2009 1:38 PM

@ 1:38PM - What we expected was not to fucking fear that a 747 was going to land on us whenever the guitars went up to 11.

Posted by Dave | January 7, 2009 1:42 PM

I had heard some of their songs before and found them rather meh, but decided to go to their show at the virgin store either way, give them a last chance... still rather meh. definitely not worth all the hype!

that lead singer should just lighten up. if you can't sing don't put so many freaking lyrics in your songs or try to harmonize.

their drummer looks like she learned to play 3 months ago, just memorized the beat and is afraid to screw up.

they've completely bought all the hype and think they are the best in town, that's for sure.

Posted by dee | January 7, 2009 1:52 PM

If I wanna hear a singer, I'll go see Ours and listen to Jimmy Gnecco wail. He's a singer. The guy from the Glasholes is a marble-mouthed mumbling moron and a balding Joe Strummer wannabe.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:19 PM

I recommend one listen to "Achilles Last Stand" by Led Zep to clear your indie minds of the horrible "drumming" of the Glasholes. Perhaps the single greatest drum track in the history of rock. RIP Bonzo!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:23 PM

Ours rules. Gneccos Screw on Fallen Souls Rawks!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:26 PM

The crowd was fun and lively, especially at the bar below! The bands were both rubbish, unfortunately, but worth seeing for myself.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:26 PM

I liked the show though the lights were crazy.I thought they seemed nervous. I'm interested in seeing more from them. But people why so nasty? If you didn't like the show there are civil ways to say so. Ripping on the performers weight is low.

Posted by Sue | January 7, 2009 2:28 PM

no encores does not mean a band has a large ego.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:31 PM

Calling the crowd a "wet blanket" as an attempt to cover one's poor performance warrants multiple weight jokes. NYC aint no JOKE!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:36 PM

I thought they sounded great and agree with "someone who actually likes music". The lights were a bit much though.

Posted by adam | January 7, 2009 2:39 PM

How about 40 minute sets and no encore make a band with a bloated ego.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:39 PM

agreed, the drummer suckssssss. perhaps she should sit down instead of TRYING to look cool.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:43 PM

Actually, encores are often the most egotistic portion of a set.

Posted by adam | January 7, 2009 2:46 PM

all these non-drummers trashing her drumming.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 2:52 PM

Who the hell cares about an "encore"? Would you have been happy if they had walked off stage for a minute or two before playing the last song? What is the difference? The whole "encore" concept is pointless and fake anyways.

And I don't know how a 40 minute set = a bloated ego...but those stadium flood lights were pretty egotistical.

Posted by CN | January 7, 2009 2:58 PM

2:52 it doesn't matter if non drummers are trashing her. You see any other band and their drummer at least has some sense of rhythm !

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 3:06 PM

"The real question is: is the thing that drums for the Glasholes a better drummer than Bobby Gillespie"

I saw Jesus & Mary Chain when they first came to America. They played a 20-25 minutes set without any encores, Bobby Gillepsie was so wasted that I don't think that you could call it drumming..

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 3:18 PM

Caribou's Brad Weber - now THAT'S a drummer.

Posted by Big Perm | January 7, 2009 3:43 PM

Those lights were awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 4:38 PM

Their is really only one great rock drummer: John Bonham. Keith Moon had his moments but he was too busy overall. Bonzo laid down beats that will never be equalled (and he's the most sampled drummer ever). Of people currently above the ground, the dude from Slayer is pretty awesome.
Scotty "Rock Action" Asheton from the Stooges can still bang the kit too. It seems the hard-rock / metal bands are the only ones with real drummers anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 4:53 PM

>all these non-drummers trashing her drumming.

and you know that all of us aren't drummers ... how, exactly? (you'd be wrong, and she was terrible.)

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 5:10 PM

Apart from the lights, it was a decent show. I think they were probably a little better at the free in-store on Monday though. Obviously it was a real "Show Me" crowd- people were kind of into it, but wanting more. The sing-alongs were a nice surprise considering how non-plussed the crowd was. Glad I went.

Posted by Anonymous | January 7, 2009 5:19 PM

GLASVEGAS SUCKS! Great place to see a show, what's up with the lights???!!! that was terrible. I thought the crowd was fine, every song sounded the same....not good!

Posted by Jonny G. | January 7, 2009 6:13 PM

These Glasvegas clowns are doomed to be going down with the scads of other NME hype-jobs now lining up in the dole queues all over the UK. There are far better bands in NYC (like the aformentioned Ours) that can't get a break. Life ain't fair, especially in the music biz.

Posted by Shitey Glashole | January 7, 2009 6:17 PM

Jonny G.- Congratulations. You have just emulated the comments of every clueless person who first hears hardcore punk, grind, death metal, techno...etc. If you really think all of the songs sound the same, you need your hearing checked or should have worn earplugs a LONG time ago.

Posted by Adam | January 7, 2009 6:54 PM

What an amazing gig; could be the show of '09. Im not sure this band will be big in the states but in NYC with so many expatriates from the UK, they could at least be big in the city. I thought everything was right about the show except the lights which were way too bright at times. Other than that, the band was tight and played with conviction, spunk ,and chutzpah. God bless 'em, even with the superflous hype, me thinks they're for real and this could be the best UK debut album since 'franz ferdidand' or 'definitely maybe'

Posted by craig | January 7, 2009 6:55 PM

Everyone here whose bitching about a headliner playing for only 40 minutes and no encore probably saw The Strokes between 2000-2003 do the EXACT SAME THING. And you all LOVE IT. Me included.

In fact one of the best shows I saw @ BB was The Fire Theft (who were basically Sunny Day Real Estate with a different 2nd guitarist) in '05. They too only had one album, played 45 minutes, no encore. Didn't need to.

Posted by b.LOUD | January 7, 2009 9:52 PM

here they are on dave letterman the other night.

it's pretty damn clear that the drummer is constantly in and out slipping out of rhythm. a shame, really, because other than that they sound great.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 2:32 AM

yeah, she's a terrible drummer.

keep bagging groceries at whole foods you daft prick.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 4:27 AM

Adam 6:54, my man, if that was a great show, you are not seeing the right gigs! wow....that was a C show at best.....you need to get out more....

Posted by Jonny G. | January 8, 2009 8:50 AM

@4:53 "Bonzo laid down beats that will never be equalled (and he's the most sampled drummer ever)."

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 9:08 AM

From Glasvegas to John Bonham.... Some retards should stick to "I'd hit" comments.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 10:15 AM

Jonny G.- Actually, what I said in a prior post was that they were great, not that it was a great show. There is a difference.For fuck's sake have you ever seen the Cure? All they do is stand in one place, but they usually sound great. As for getting out, well if you knew me, you would know how foolish that statement was.

Posted by adam | January 8, 2009 12:12 PM

Absolutely HILARIOUS thread you dummies. Starting off with Angela and a bunch of you other dopes thinking that the photographer wrote the review of the show. It is bad enough that BV Dave(the Dave of comment 10:58) writes reviews of shows he does not even attend but to attribute it to the picture taker is priceless.

Not to mention many of the other inane comments having to do with the lights, the complete incorrect references to who this band sounds like, saying Kasabian is a great band haha and finally to the know nothings commenting on the drummer.

Classic you idiots, just classic.

Oh 2 other things

1)Why would any of you refer to anything said buy Music Snobbery. That guy is an even bigger fool then most of you and that is no easy accomplishment. My sister's friends mentally retarded kid brother knows more about music than him.

2)Special kudos to 9:08 for hanging the John Bonham 4:53 poster out to dry. Clyde Stubblefield the funky drummer is pretty much the blueprint for hip hop and the most sampled.. And there have been tons of great rock drummers over the year you dickhead.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 1:03 PM

^^^^^ buy=by. My bad oops

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 1:05 PM

Wow. Such harshness! Glasvegas doesn't have a larger ego than you or I. The band is actually really friendly and nice, refreshingly so.

I also don't think the crowd was a wet-blanket though. At least, not by the stage. I suppose she means that we were an uncomfortable/not so cozy crowd?
True there could have been more dancing, and I would have thought NY would show more love, but I think the lights inhibited that, it was like a SWAT raid.

And people, c'mon! If the drummer was some glamazon, none of these comments about her drumming ability would be said. Girl can play, give her some credit. I suppose if the band looked like those pretty boys of The Bravery, the comments would be far different.
It's a shame.

Posted by Nicole Amber | January 8, 2009 1:09 PM

@ 1:03pm - You need a hug. Sounds like nobody loves you.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 1:13 PM

Clyde Stubblefield har har har. It seems Wiki is the only source of info that simpering Glasvegas fans can come up with, and even that only says he is *one* of the most sampled drummers ever. John Bonham he surely wasn't, as un-PC as that sounds to you little Williamsburg hipsters. Old-school hip-hoppers stole Bonham's beats constantly -- the genre would have barely existed without Bonham. But never mind that: the Glasholes drummer ain't even near Topper Headon, much less Bonham, as much as the chubby, balding lead singer wants to look like Strummer. Hell, Rat Scabies was a drumming genius next to her. Her only real competition is Bobby Gillespie, who is a great frontman but was a lousy drummer. But at least Bobby had style even when he was incompetent. The Glasholes are just .... meh.

Posted by Anonymous | January 8, 2009 1:42 PM

If you want to see how women playing stand-up drums should look and sound, just go pick up Laibach's latest _Volk: Dead in Trbovlje_ DVD pronto. Makes the Glasholes look like the lamers they truly are.

Posted by Milan Fras | January 8, 2009 1:58 PM

Well said Nicole Amber. I like that the singer picked the drummer because she's his friend and he just wanted her in his band. It says to me they can't be taking this all that serious. So why should all of you?

There's some decent critiquing going on here but what's with all the hate. There are lots of bands I don't like but I don't go to their shows or post about them on blogs. I just ignore them. Some of you (the glashole people)are really worked up over this. It's weird.Why?

If it's all the hype they got that's not their fault. Take your rage out on the music industry.

Posted by Cal | January 8, 2009 3:35 PM

Oh no you didn't!

"Why would any of you refer to anything said buy Music Snobbery. That guy is an even bigger fool then most of you and that is no easy accomplishment. My sister's friends mentally retarded kid brother knows more about music than him."

Posted by musicsnobbery | January 8, 2009 3:44 PM

Without passing judgment on a concert that I did not attend -- although I do like Glasvegas' album quite a bit -- I pose the following question:
Are New York crowds the worst crowds in the world? Just something to think about, because for all the criticizing that New Yorkers do of the bands they pay too much to see live, it always strikes me when I attend concerts that most of the audience are either college kids talking loudly to each other throughout the entire concert, media types taking digital photos and/or illegally recording the concert, VIP industry people who think they are cool, or Williamsburg hipsters. I dunno. Am I wrong about this?

Posted by sharkdog | January 9, 2009 3:45 PM

Looks like Americans, even New Yorkers, just don't like the idea of a Scottish band from the rough side of Glasgow making it big. I guess all the BV reading trustafarians just don't get it.

Posted by SeeYouInTea | January 9, 2009 3:49 PM

New York crowds demand quality, that's all. If they don't get it, it's usually not pretty.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 3:54 PM

I guess I question whether some New York crowds would know quality from the Strokes.

Posted by sharkdog | January 9, 2009 4:22 PM

Some NYC crowds wouldn't, but on the whole I'd guess NYC crowds would know quality music when they see it better than the crowds of most other cities, if not all.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 4:33 PM

Anon 345: ::llegally recording the concert::

I'm curious about who you are seeing illegally record concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 4:57 PM

That is where I disagree. I don't see any reason why a New York crowd would know quality better than a crowd anywhere else. What I do know is that New York crowds have a lot more VIPs and poseurs in attendance. People who are there because they think they are supposed to be, not because they want to be. Kind of like the author of this review, who clearly didn't care all that much to see Glasvegas to begin with.

Posted by sharkdog | January 9, 2009 4:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:06 PM

People always hype NYC gigs to be the "be-all, end-all" of any artists given tour. Personally I think NYC always lack for some strange reason. Too much hype? Too many haters looking to hate on anything? Who knows. In my experience gigs I've seen outside of NYC have been better.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:10 PM

Good point, I remember reading that Win Butler selected their best gig to be their Atlanta show and that the NYC shows they could never really get too comfortable with all the press and scensters there.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:14 PM

I agree too. I went and saw Radiohead 3 times on their US summer tour of 2006. The Philly show I attended blew the 2 MSG Theater shows out of the water. Especially since they played Blackstar and for the first time in 10 years they played Let Down in the US. Awesome show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:17 PM

I saw Glasvegas at Johnny Brenda's in North Philadephia, that was much better than the flood light massacre at the Bowery Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:19 PM

"The problem with NYC crowds are the jerkoffs who come in from the suburbs to be seen and end up yapping and texting throughout the show.

It much better to see a show in NYC on a Tuesday or a Wednesday night and avoid the B&T's."

Truer words might not have ever been written on BV.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:19 PM

I bet the biggest assholes at new york shows aren't the B&T crowd but the jerkoff new yorker who actually live in the city. Most of them moved here from the mid west anyway.

NEW YORK SUCKS BALLS!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:21 PM

I recall in David McCullough's book "1776", that George Washington said that there is no worse real estate than the island of Manhattan. No army can properly defend it and any nature disaster would cause mass panic of those inhabiting the island.

He forgot to mention it sucks for gigs as well. It is hard to defend the island from Williamsburg trash.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:25 PM

Nixon was a better President.

Jeb in 2012!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:26 PM

Nothing so irritates losers more than seeing someone move to Manhattan from anywhere and make a good, successful life for themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:28 PM

That George Washington fellow sounds like a pretty smart dude. Everyone knows best gigs are always in Pittsburgh (i.e. The Unicorns in 2003).

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:28 PM

I wish Bill The Butcher was still around to get rid of all you mid west transplants. He didn't fuck around. Another notch on the bat!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:30 PM

Back to the actual music of Glasvegas for a moment. I didn't like that they only played for 40 minutes. That is a complete joke. They have one excellent album and a decent Christmas EP. Plenty of good music to share to all of us.

This is how the set should have gone:

1. Flowers & Football Tops
2. Lonesome Swan
3. Polmont On My Mind
4. It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry
5. Please Come Back Home
6. S.A.D. Light
7. Geraldine
8. Cruel Moon
9. Ice Cream Van
10. Go Square Go
11. Fuck You, It's Over

Encore

12. Daddy's Gone

Thank you....we're Glasvegas you arseholes!

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 5:59 PM

God, 40 minutes is way too long for such trite misery

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 6:12 PM

6:12....did you even go to the show are you just being a typical hater from williamsburg?

eat shit

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 6:16 PM

They have a show on March 28th in Williamsburg....this should be interesting for all you billysburg losers.

Posted by Anonymous | January 9, 2009 6:33 PM

set list is incorrect, they didn't play stabbed

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2009 11:11 AM

Yes the did play stabbed. They played it on guitar as opposed to strings. Def was played...I was there...loved it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2009 11:22 AM

good god
this band is horrid.

Posted by sloe | January 10, 2009 12:37 PM

You know what band fucking sucks....Fleet Foxes. That album is dull and I'm tired of everyone on Pitchfork and this site jerking off to it.

They suck. Band of Horses is a much better band.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2009 1:31 PM

Yeah....overrated album by Fleet Foxes.

Posted by Anonymous | January 10, 2009 2:11 PM

Oasis is > Glasvegas, Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective & MGMT

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2009 1:31 PM

these glasvegas dudes are like crystal stilts meets the so so glos. how weird

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2009 2:04 PM

lol except glasvegas has some of the worst lyrics ever written and godawful vocals

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2009 2:14 PM

Worst lyrics ever written? Glasvegas? Are you fucking kidding?

Posted by sharkdog | January 11, 2009 10:07 PM

without even listening to their "music" I can tell that they're a fucking deplorable band, not to mention that the female singer looks like a dude (is he/she?) And with a name like "Glasvegas" I wouldn't expect anyone to take them serious anyways...the real talent from the UK should be embarrassed to share geographical association with these wankers!

Posted by Anonymous | January 11, 2009 10:55 PM