Posted in music on January 30, 2009

Kings of Leon @ Madison Square Garden - Jan 29, 2009 (spochat)
Kings of Leon

Coldplay frontman Chris Martin has revealed that people often mistake him for singer James Blunt or an insurance salesman. The singer said a woman who works next door to the band's Bakery recording studios in London is convinced that he is a door-to-door salesman. "She asked me the other day if I was in insurance," he told XFM. "And if it's not insurance or a lawyer, it's another singer. "The other ones I get are James Morrison and James Blunt and I always say, 'Yep!' because you should never disappoint somebody." Martin joked that he would rather be confused for Kings of Leon frontman Caleb Followill. "If I could sing like that I'd be massive," he said. [Gigwise]
The Whigs opened for Kings of Leon at the sold out show at Madison Square Garden in NYC last night (1/29). KOL's setlist below...

Kings of Leon MSG Setlist: (via)
Crawl
Cold Desert
Trani

encore:
Knocked Up
Manhattan
Charmer

Is that setlist correct? If not, do you know the right one?

I don't get the fascination with this band. BORING.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 9:34 AM

wasnt there another song after charmer?

Posted by spike lee | January 30, 2009 9:36 AM

Yeah, they finished with either Ragoo or Black Thumbnail - don't remember

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 9:38 AM

OMG KOL is the BEST!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 9:50 AM

this show was massive and Yaps goat bone impressed all.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 9:53 AM

I was at Metallica last night. Wish I was at this instead.

Posted by Ron | January 30, 2009 9:59 AM

how was this? have a hard time imagining them being able to rock MSG ?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:04 AM

Really good show.

Posted by tremags | January 30, 2009 10:09 AM

does anyone have a clip of when they were thanking the audience? i loved that moment...

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:09 AM

what the fuck is with this quote? and no pictures? this post sucks...

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:14 AM

Last song was Black Thumbnail.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:15 AM

how were the whigs?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:16 AM

GREAT show. It is all down hill from here for them. I miss seeing them in 200 person clubs.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:17 AM

I think Caleb thanked the audience during Fans and Manhattan

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:18 AM

are you nuts? Metallica was great.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:20 AM

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:21 AM

Whigs were great...

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:26 AM

this was a GREAT show...really. i was happily surprised by KOL's performance. THE ROCKED IT.
and the whigs were good. looking fwd to their show at the bowery in march. think a smaller venue will suit their sound well.

Posted by steph | January 30, 2009 10:27 AM

I had doubted how well they would sound and how they would "own" MSG. Well I was pleasantly surprised. They rocked the shit out of that place and I will definitely go back the next time they do it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:29 AM

"Im pretty amazed this sold out, shows you how out of touch I am with what the mainstream music scene looks like."

Posted by SF | January 30, 2009 10:32 AM

God who knew this band would ever play the Garden? I remember seeing them at the Bowery and they stormed off the stage because the crowd was not into them at all

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:37 AM

I like this band a little. But gimme a break. Arena shows suck horse turd. Especially this band. I refuse to believe that it was a good time being surrounded by jocko banker types wearing their best Mens Wearhouse business-casual uniforms and constantly looking at their blackberries.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:40 AM

well my rooamtes girlfriend was singing sex on fire so you know this band is going the way of coldplay

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:41 AM

Holy shit...my yaps is so on fire right now.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:52 AM

whigs > KoL

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:57 AM

I had no idea kol was this big. good for them?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:09 AM

Amazing show. I wish they would have played King of the Rodeo, California Waiting and Ragoo but overall I am pleased as punch!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:45 AM

Taper Jean Girl was second, i remember quite well.

And this concert was the shit! One of the best nights i had in my life. It probably helps that i was GA 3 feet in front of Caleb.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:45 AM

True Love Way would have been blinding as well.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:47 AM

"are you nuts? Metallica was great."

If you ever saw Metallica live before 1991, you would not be saying that.

Posted by Ron | January 30, 2009 11:47 AM

They played Taper Jean Girl, I think it was around the 2nd song.

Posted by Cindy | January 30, 2009 11:49 AM

Anyone know the music they came out to? Not the first song they played, but the almost relgious song that was playing when they walked on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:50 AM

Metallica? music from the Good the Bad and the Ugly, the graveyard scene music.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:53 AM

the intro music was Lacrimosa (Requiem) by Mozart)

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:54 AM

Seems like they never play Happy Alone anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:56 AM

I wish they'd play Joe's Head.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 11:57 AM

Coachella 2009 should have had this lineup:

Friday - Kings of Leon

Saturday - Oasis (Kasabian to open for them)

Sunday - Neil Young

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 12:08 PM

when did this band get this big?

i haven't heard of them since "wicker chair"

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | January 30, 2009 12:13 PM

"You're not out of touch there was just A LOT of what soccer fans call 'traveling support'. Tons of people who came out from around the country and took travel packages for the UK & Ireland. It was kind of a pilgrimage for KoL fans."

I know a group of people who actually paid for a flight from London to watch this show and they mentioned there was going to be a whole load of out-of-towners converging to MSG. They still have a LONG WAY to go before they even come close to matching the success they have in the UK, Ireland, Oz and New Zealand. They're VERY mainstream over here, I was in my local shopping mall and I had to endure 'Sex On Fire' four times in a row as it was played in every store I went in. Needless to say, I'm more than bored of this record. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Posted by ND | January 30, 2009 12:24 PM

Kings of Leon....yawn.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 12:29 PM

This show was outstanding. I've seen them in small clubs over the years and it's great to see an extremely talented group of musicians/songwriters finally break through to a larger audience. If it takes a single like "sex of fire" to allow people to discover their first three records than so be it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 1:08 PM

I agreee......Metallica was great.

The new album was awesome and the songs soung great live...plus they whipped out these oldies:

One
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Master of Puppets
Damage, Inc
Phantom Lord
Seek and Destroy
Creeping Death
The Thing That Should Not Be
Sad But True
Stone Cold Crazy (Queen Cover)

Great show...they were really into it.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 1:12 PM

Wow. From the crowds reaction at APW, I had no idea they could draw that many people.

Maybe Justice needs to do a remix of Kings of Leon so they can play the Garden.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 1:50 PM

most overrated band of this generation

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 1:56 PM

Let's talk more about the Metallica show....reviews, please. TIA!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 2:00 PM

all bullshit aside, i was at a playboy bunny party with Yaps after the show and his sex burned my finger off. gotta cancel the philly shows now. sad but true.

Posted by lars ulrich | January 30, 2009 2:11 PM

I agree- why don't they play True Love Way?

Posted by adam | January 30, 2009 2:13 PM

This band is fucking epic.

They're amazing live, it's good to know some bands can still rock.

Posted by C | January 30, 2009 2:14 PM

i love soccer boys of UK...it's interesting how big they are across the atlantic.

any soccer hooliganism?

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 2:31 PM

Kings of Leon last night was f'ing SICK. Those guys completely rocked out. If you've seen em before, you didn't miss much as far as the songs go; they don't deviate a whole lot from what they're supposed to play. What was so awesome last night was the magnitude of the event itself, the fact the KOL was playing a (truly) sold out show at Madison Square Garden, and the incredible amount of humility they expressed throughout the show. At one point Caleb thanked the Whigs for opening, and said, "I'm sure they were just as nervous as we are right now." Later on he commented again about how nervous he was, and how monumental it was to be playing at MSG, thanking the crowd for spreading the word on them through the websites and blogs, etc...then said "This is the greatest moment of our lives, right now." The place was just going bananas...even if you're not a HUGE fan (or not a huge fan of the newer stuff, or whatever), it was a pretty cool thing to witness.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | January 30, 2009 3:14 PM

Ii have to say, I wasn't too excited to go, but the music was great, the place was actually packed, we were up in the bleachers and everyone was dancing. It was an amazing concert, even if it was MSG. When they said how this was the greatest moment of their lives you really felt it. I saw them 6 or so years ago at bowery and thought they would never make it, and a sold out crowd at msg is as big as you can get.

Posted by nicole | January 30, 2009 4:02 PM

That show was amazing! The only thing that pissed me off is that people judge them by the song "Sex on Fire" which is the worst. It was a disappointment to see people not knowing their other great songs from previous albums. But if you knew them, it was a great set list... and they're not "overrated"...unnecessary comments are annoying.

Posted by D | January 30, 2009 11:48 PM

suck.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 12:14 AM

we have officially entered a horrible world where the arizona cardinals make the super bowl, tampa bay "rays" make the world series, and the kings of leon sell out msg?? how does mmj not sell out msg for new years, yet a talentless "the killers" knock-off band does? i am moving to canada.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 11:26 AM

the killers suck.

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 11:36 AM

this sucks. their are good bands that will probably never get to open for someone at MSG. I predict that in a few years no one will even remember this band. but when did they get so big?!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 12:46 PM

I'm happy KoL are doing so well but how many of the "Sex On Fire" fans (those who jumped on board because of that song) will still be around if the band changes direction? Not many I would imagine. It will be interesting to see how things pan out for them after OBTN has done the rounds and they've moved onto album number five...

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 6:56 PM

KING OF LEON FUCKING ROCK!! Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly doesn't have a clue about good music...LONG LIVE THE KINGS! =)

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 3:35 PM

they ended w/ Black Thumbnail, i was front row, shit was insane, i got caleb's guitar pick!

Posted by anon | February 23, 2009 9:55 PM

I've to allege, I was not also activated Togolese Republic, just the euphony comprised avid, the aim comprised in reality backpacked, we comprised astir inch the bleachers and everybody comprised dance. Them comprised an astonishing concert, even out whenever them comprised monosodium glutamate. As they aforementioned however these comprised the biggest bit by their alivenesses you actually experienced them. I adage it Captain Hicks about a long time agone at leafy and believed they would ne'er arrive, and a liquidized bunch at monosodium glutamate are because bad because you are able to acquire.

Posted by Gucci Taschen | December 6, 2010 10:02 PM